Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slaughter at Elbury Hall

2 posters

Go down

Slaughter at Elbury Hall Empty Slaughter at Elbury Hall

Post by Ironherald Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Ok I was bored one evening so I decided to write a story about my future character's rather unhappy introduction to the Worgen curse. If you notice any glaring inaccuracies, notify me and please tell me what you think. Razz Unless you don't like it. They don't say anything. D:<

Jkes ^^

It was a quiet evening, Edward observed from the dining room window, a glass of port held firmly in his hand. Leastways, much more peaceful than recent nights, when the night air was shrill with howling from the dense surrounding woodlands. In fact, it could almost be said that the situation was improving, if one was feeling in an optimistic mood. Edward gave a pleased smile, before turning and calling out quietly (for one must never be loud in such situations):
"Hildebrand, Hildebrand! Would you come over here?" Receiving no reply, Edward cursed, "Where the devil is that girl?"
"What do you want Edward?" Came a reply close at hand, causing Edward to jump "and would you kindly extinguish that candle? Do you want to give us away?" He raised his candle in the darkened room to see his frail sister illumined by its feeble light.
"Ah, there you are," he replied dryly, "Do you take me for a fool? I'm keeping the light behind the curtains. Besides, its rather quietened down tonight wouldn’t you say?" His sister peered gingerly out of the window, a focused look on her slight face.
"Yes... I don't like it." She muttered quietly, to which Edward replied:
"No?" He looked out again himself, observing the skeletal silhouettes of the trees against the light of the moon. Behind him he heard the coughing of one of the many villagers which had sought refuge in the Hillchester estate’s modest home. Edward himself had argued fiercely with his father to let them stay, although it was his younger sister who had won him over. No less than two dozen of the inhabitants of the nearby village of Lorne Mire were now cowering in the house, terrified of the terrors which stalked the countryside. “I thought it to be a sign of improvement.” Hildebrand shook her head.
“No, if they aren’t howling then it’s a safe bet that means they’ve run out of people to hunt – no, see” she ejaculated, “look there, I see a few of them now.” Edward drew up beside his sister and took another look out of the window and sure enough he could see several dark silhouettes crouched outside the woods. He thought it was a safe bet they weren’t human. “I’m sure they are searching for more prey, as long as we stay quiet they’ll likely..” Hildebrand stopped mid-sentenced, interrupted by the terror which seemed to be enveloping in the land outside. The several figures had been joined by many, many more. Dark figures were pouring out of the forest like ants, all of them advancing with a sinister purpose towards the Hillchester home.
“Oh dear...” Edward understated with spectacular effect, “Do you think we should tell the others?” Hildebrand spun round and shook her head viciously.
“Don’t you dare! What hope do they have? Better to let them die quickly than to lead the whole house into a panic! Look at them out there! There must be hundreds! I wouldn’t bet on our chances if there were only a dozen!” She whispered with a ferocity Edward had observed rarely in the past, truth be told it frightened him, but he could see the sense behind her words.
“But we must do something!” He spluttered, “Are we to just wait here to be slaughtered like lambs?” Hildebrand shook her head, motioning him to follow silently. She led her older brother upstairs by the hand, taking them to their Father’s office. “What in the devil are we doing here?” he hissed.
“When we were little, father used to worry terribly about the burglars we used to hear about. They were in the papers constantly, desperados seeking to bring down the wealthy families and spread the money to the peasantry and father thought that we were next. He didn’t worry about you though, you were fifteen and capable of looking after yourself, but I was only seven. He feared for me awfully. So, one evening he led me up here and showed me something.” She pulled on a candle stick on the mantel of a fire place. Suddenly one of the bookshelves creaked forwards, frightening Edward out of his skin and revealing a hidden room beyond. “’This room is safe’, he told me, ‘it is hidden and has enough food to last a week stored within, if the burglars come you must hide yourself here and not come out until the food runs out’. Edward, we must hide here. We must survive.”
Edward peered into the dusty room, noticing its tiny size. “But surely we can bring mother and father too?” he stuttered, “Surely we aren’t to leave them to die?” Hildebrand shook her head firmly.
“There wouldn’t be enough room and the food will only last a few days, considering there are two of us. Besides, mother and father are eighty-odd, the stress alone would kill them. Best to let them go quickly in their sleep.” Edward felt an overwhelming despair, realising at last the severity of it all. He nodded grimly, fighting back tears and holding his hand out to his little sister. She took it firmly, her small hands like ice in Edward’s grasp. Together they entered the room, closing the door behind them. They cried together when the carnage began outside, both children again hiding under the bed from a storm.
---
Edward roused himself from a day-dream, glancing at his pocket watch and frowning grimly. It had been five days, and neither of them had eaten for the first few days locked up in the safe-room. But eventually they had forced themselves too. Their father had luckily not failed in stocking the room, but clearly it was made for only one, for the supplies were sparse. They had run out yesterday evening and both agreed they would exit from the room the next day at noon. The time had arrived. The sound of the wolf men had ceased after the third day, but neither of them were keen to leave. Gingerly, Edward woke his sister. She woke abruptly, saying nothing in words at Edward’s motions towards the door, merely nodding timidly.
Edward opened the door slowly, eyes and ears strained for activity. But there was none. Silently, he and his sister made their way to their separate bedrooms, tip-toeing down the halls. Both were clear of any danger, and neither of them wasted time putting on a change of clothes and packing all of their valuables into a suitcase. They met again in the hall at the top of the staircase. The silence was deafening, not even the birds chirped outside. Edward took a ceremonial sword down from a crest hanging on the wall and both descended the staircase, wincing each and every time one of the steps creaked. The house seemed desperately empty. They reached the bottom of the stairs, both breathing a sigh of relief that they had no company.
“Come Hildebrand, we’ll leave through the back door and saddle up the horses. We can make our way to the capital from there, it’s sure to have survivors.” His sister nodded, following her older brother as he led the way through the abandoned house. They reached the pantry without incident and Edward opened the back exit quietly, motioning his sister through. She shook her head, however.
“Wait, there’s something I need to see.” She said simply, leaving Edward dumbfounded at the door.
“What? We need to go now! Where the devil are you going?” he hissed angrily, following her back into the house. She crept silently through the house, Edward behind her whispering protests. Suddenly, Edward felt he knew their destination. “Oh no, please we must go! Cease this madness!”
“I must see Edward, I must.” She replied firmly. She drew to a close outside the closed doors of the dining room, where every man and woman in the house had been sleeping when the wolf men had come. It was streaked with blood.
“No! Hildebrand we must go NOW!” He said ever quietly, but with all the urgency he could muster. But she just ignored him, pushing open the oaken doors, her head disappearing into the room. Edward could tell it was dark, the curtains had not been opened. She remained frozen for what seemed like an age. Edward tugged lightly on her dress.
“Hild-“
“Edward run.” Hildebrand catapulted herself away from the door, dragging her brother with her and kick-starting him into action. Behind them a deafening howl emerged from the darkened room and Edward heard the door shatter as it was burst open. They both sprinted upstairs, the nearest escape they could find, the sound of pursuit centimetres behind them. Upon reaching the top, Edward decided he must face the beast. He whirled around, brandishing his sword. He faced the beast. It’s terrible visage focused on him and the wolf drew to a stop, locked into a fierce face off with the man. The wolf man was huge, standing at least a head above Edward, who was by no means a small man, and was twice as wide with muscle. Edward felt suddenly very foolish, his sword very useless.
“Hildebrand..” he whimpered, but she had disappeared off into the house. They stood like this for another ten seconds, until the wolf tensed and Edward threw his sword at it before spinning around and making for the study and the safety of the hide-away. The wolf howled in pain, but did not cease its pursuit of Edward. It did not take long to reach the study, to which Edward flew in and bolted the door. It shook with a most terrible force as the beast slammed against it, the door hinges almost breaking. Another slam like that and it would be opened. Edward made for the shelter of the safe room but alas! it seemed his sister had made it there first, locking the door behind her. “Hildebrand! OPEN THIS DOOR!” But there was no reply.
Edward sighed. So it was to end like this. He turned to face his fate. The door burst open at the beast’s ferocity, the wolf man drooling with delight at the sight of its unarmed prey standing helplessly before it, sword protruding from its abdomen. But Edward would have the last laugh, he decided, he would not be ended by this animal. He was now Lord of the Elbury Estate and he would go with dignity. With a speed which startled even the wolf man, he spun around and burst through the glass window, shattered glass slicing at his face and he hurtled down three floors. Behind him echoed the frustrated howls of his enemy, cheated of a kill. This was his last thought before he hid the ground, smiling.
Edward awoke, knowing only pain. He would cry out in pain, only his mouth seemed to be wholly occupied gasping for breath. He lay on the gravel road outside of the house, his body shattered from the fall. It had not killed him like he had hoped, but merely wounded. Behind him above his panting, he heard heavy footsteps crunching towards him and he knew his time had come. As his body gave way to unconsciousness Edward thought he heard an almost human-chuckle. Almost human.
Ironherald
Ironherald

Character sheet
Name: Grolfingir Ironherald
Title: Goroth

Back to top Go down

Slaughter at Elbury Hall Empty Re: Slaughter at Elbury Hall

Post by Gogol Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Can I be the first one to say that the chooise of story name couldent have been more excelent?
Slaughter at Elbury Hall, it even tastes good saying it. Slaughter at Elbury Hall!
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Slaughter at Elbury Hall Empty Re: Slaughter at Elbury Hall

Post by Ironherald Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:45 pm

hehe thank you ^^
Ironherald
Ironherald

Character sheet
Name: Grolfingir Ironherald
Title: Goroth

Back to top Go down