Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The House of Nobles - A discussion

+21
Gahalla
Cid
Amaryl
teirzul
Aleric
Kristeas Sunbinder
Cathee Norris
Gesh
Braiden
Zinkle Figgins
Geldar
Krogon Devilstep
Mordazan
Gogol
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Valerias
Jeanpierre
Magaskawee/Anaei
Gallandria
Torukan
Ledgic
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The House of Nobles - A discussion Empty The House of Nobles - A discussion

Post by Ledgic Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:08 am

Righto, this idea was briefly mentioned in a thread in the Stormwind council open area a while back. I found the idea vaguely interesting and thought it might be worth discussing, to see whether it could be actively applied to RP in Stormwind.

We have the council, which generates good and bad opinions/press a lot of the time, but overall offers RP in various fields and gives an aspect of political RP. But what of the house of nobles? Could we realistically RP that sort of thing without the same power hungry/power control opinions thrown around?

Obviously the house of nobles could potentially be more open in terms of who is involved than the council is, and would provide both fresh noble RP as well as giving plenty of people the opportunity to get their hands on some political RP.

The main question in my mind though is what function it would serve, if we were to start RP'ing such an organisation. Obviously people would get to RP proper pricks, people that care only for the continuation of the noble life/gold and couldn't care less about the little man, but what could they actually control? It would be different to things that the council deals with, stuff like taxes and expenditures etc, I'd imagine.

Would they be in direct conflict with the council, would they be a higher power, or would their organisation be completely seperate?

Personally I just think if we were able to work something out, build a structure and allow plenty of people to participate, RP'ing the house of nobles could be very interesting, create more RP and give those that feel they're missing out on political RP, a solid chance to get stuck in.

So, yeah.. think and discuss really. Could we actually RP this?

Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

The House of Nobles - A discussion Empty Re: The House of Nobles - A discussion

Post by Torukan Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:51 am

Greedy Nobles, higher power to the council, council who can't answer queries direct problems to Nobles, Nobles act like dicks, Job done.

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallandria Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:08 am

Intresting,I shall go away and have a think about this and post later when Im more awake.
Gallandria
Gallandria

Character sheet
Name: Gallandria Adair
Title: The Bloody Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:05 am

Tashun/Galavan wrote:Greedy Nobles, higher power to the council, council who can't answer queries direct problems to Nobles, Nobles act like dicks, Job done.

Technically the House of Nobles are on the same hierarchical level with the Council.

And it all depends who we get,this endeavour would need alot of careful work.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 am

The mere existence of both structures simultaneously could in itself be a source of both fantastic RP and drama Very Happy
I think it's worth the risk but I wonder to what degree this can be regulated. An interesting idea however. I'll be following this thread with great interest.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 am

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:
Tashun/Galavan wrote:Greedy Nobles, higher power to the council, council who can't answer queries direct problems to Nobles, Nobles act like dicks, Job done.

Technically the House of Nobles are on the same hierarchical level with the Council.

Mm, the idea would be to handle it carefully, first step is to see how much interest there is in the concept, who would be willing to give their assistance, and how we would go about it. It's a tricky thing to start purely because of the power that could be wielded, but I suppose if we consider the council on the same level as them, it shouldn't be an issue.

I just think it's a brilliant way to give people an opportunity at political RP, the actual number of nobles that could be part of it isn't really limited in my eyes, a load of gits in a room yelling at each other when a subject is brought up is somewhat ace to imagine :p
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Ledgic/Omanos wrote:
Anaei/Vezullia wrote:

Mm, the idea would be to handle it carefully, first step is to see how much interest there is in the concept, who would be willing to give their assistance, and how we would go about it. It's a tricky thing to start purely because of the power that could be wielded, but I suppose if we consider the council on the same level as them, it shouldn't be an issue.

I just think it's a brilliant way to give people an opportunity at political RP, the actual number of nobles that could be part of it isn't really limited in my eyes, a load of gits in a room yelling at each other when a subject is brought up is somewhat ace to imagine :p

I love the idea of really making the hierarchies known, political campaigns to ruin each other, little factions being angry at each other. Om nom nom.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Netherian and I had an interesting chat about this awhile ago; that Stormwind certainly does have nobles and it would be interesting RP, as well as realistic, to unite them somewhat. And so we talked about the House of Nobles as it would exist in Stormwind -- and if it were to be created, why not allow it to be the large and unwieldy and ego-driven mess it probably would be IC?

For example, instead of making it another political 'house' to pair with the council, and thus to take on a lot of the same decision-making and work-related drag, why not just have nobles get together and... drink wine and argue? I mean, granted, it would have to have some influence; perhaps if the nobles in question ever actually agreed on any policies about the city (shock) they could tell the Council what they thought in a rather angry and haughty manner and the Council would presumably need to take that into account. But I think that a House of Nobles would be much more about internal arguing/powerplaying/scheming than about city policies.

In short, while some tension between Council/House of Nobles would be fun, I think it'd be a giant pain in the arse to create yet another purely political entity. However, uniting nobles and creating a semi-political, semi-social organisation, with some measure of clout but without the same rules/seriousness/work that the council has to go through... could be quite fun.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:54 pm

I'd see it as that the nobles don't directly have any power, but the council sorta needs their support due to funding and what not.

I'd be interested in this, seeing how Benny boy will have to evolve at some point Very Happy
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:20 pm

"The House of Nobles form the governing body of Stormwind under the direction of King Varian Wrynn. The House of Nobles is the stated enemy of the Defias Brotherhood; however, at least some of the nobles have been shown to be in league with the Defias.

Known members

* Brainwashed Noble
* Count Erlgadin (deceased)
* Sir S. J. Erlgadin (unclaimed seat)
* Lord Gregor Lescovar
* Lady Katrana Prestor
* Count Remington Ridgewell
* Lord Baurles K. Wishock
"
- WoWWiki

DOWN WITH NOBILITY!

Last edited by Gogol on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Gogol wrote:"The House of Nobles form the governing body of Stormwind under the direction of King Varian Wrynn. The House of Nobles is the stated enemy of the Defias Brotherhood; however, at least some of the nobles have been shown to be in league with the Defias.

Known members

* Brainwashed Noble -Dead
* Count Erlgadin (deceased)
* Sir S. J. Erlgadin (unclaimed seat)
* Lord Gregor Lescovar -Dead
* Lady Katrana Prestor - Dead
* Count Remington Ridgewell
* Lord Baurles K. Wishock
"
- WoWWiki
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordazan Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Well, if we're talking about realism, nobles would get much closer to what the real world saw than the council ever would - but realism thankfully have dangerously little to do with WoW RP.
From there I don't think there is any reason to discuss the council and nobles together.

A house of nobles would simply have to be roleplayed like any other fraction out there. Their influence would basically depend on the amount of people they have - just like other fractions (such as the church of the holy light, the Dark Sphere, the Blazing Shields etc.)

As such, a noble house consisting of the house lord alone wouldn't really have much - he could claim to be rich and such IC, but his overall impact would be close to nothing. If he had a full house of nobles, with several people roleplaying members of the house, servants of the house, soldiers of the house etc. this specific house becomes far more significant.

So the short answer to the question first asked: Yes, it'd be possible, but it would require people with interrest in doing it.

I don't see why people try do mix nobles, the council & political roleplay - every stormwind resident fraction, be it the Disciples of Light or the council, are ICly trying to affect things towards their own ideas and ideals ICly, justifying what they do ICly and defending their points of view ICLy.
Thus every fraction there can be considered political, their impact still defined by the people backing the concept.

so if you want to RP a noble, do so! As with anything else, do it! Don't expect that you can command anyone around, don't ever expect that, but if people like your concept someone may want to play alongside you and possibly even "below" you as an apprentice, a son, a soldier or a servant.
Mordazan
Mordazan

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Mordazan wrote:Well, if we're talking about realism, nobles would get much closer to what the real world saw than the council ever would - but realism thankfully have dangerously little to do with WoW RP.
From there I don't think there is any reason to discuss the council and nobles together.

A house of nobles would simply have to be roleplayed like any other fraction out there. Their influence would basically depend on the amount of people they have - just like other fractions (such as the church of the holy light, the Dark Sphere, the Blazing Shields etc.)

As such, a noble house consisting of the house lord alone wouldn't really have much - he could claim to be rich and such IC, but his overall impact would be close to nothing. If he had a full house of nobles, with several people roleplaying members of the house, servants of the house, soldiers of the house etc. this specific house becomes far more significant.

So the short answer to the question first asked: Yes, it'd be possible, but it would require people with interrest in doing it.

I don't see why people try do mix nobles, the council & political roleplay - every stormwind resident fraction, be it the Disciples of Light or the council, are ICly trying to affect things towards their own ideas and ideals ICly, justifying what they do ICly and defending their points of view ICLy.
Thus every fraction there can be considered political, their impact still defined by the people backing the concept.

so if you want to RP a noble, do so! As with anything else, do it! Don't expect that you can command anyone around, don't ever expect that, but if people like your concept someone may want to play alongside you and possibly even "below" you as an apprentice, a son, a soldier or a servant.

that exactly.

whats a noble without subordinates?
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Lesser nobles.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:43 pm

Geldar wrote:Lesser nobles.

i preffer the term "brat"

but i can work with lesser nobles too...

though after some thought, could such an idea simply work like the british house of commons and house of lords?

the house of commons (council) do all the idea making and voting, and the house of lords (nobles) simply go over the fine print and give it a second seal of approval, or secondary nod.

Last edited by Krogon on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Krogon wrote:

i preffer the term "brat with a large mouth"

but i can work lesser nobles too...

And I thought that was our personal connection.. SOME GRANDFATHER!

/runs off crying
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 pm

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:
Krogon wrote:

i preffer the term "brat with a large mouth"

but i can work lesser nobles too...

And I thought that was our personal connection.. SOME GRANDFATHER!

/runs off crying

i was always more a military man *cough*
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:49 pm

The idea is good, problem is there's none to rule in a city of lords, commanders and knights. But yes, a more organized nobles' community would give Stormwind a touch of realism and some good RP as well.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm all for this kind of thing, organizing the nobles, being greedy and argueing with the council (just a little Razz) would provide exellent high society roleplay and a reason for the common man to respect nobles walking the streets of stormwind city.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Braiden wrote:I'm all for this kind of thing, organizing the nobles, being greedy and argueing with the council (just a little Razz) would provide exellent high society roleplay and a reason for the common man to ATTACK, KILL MAIM AND BURN nobles walking the streets of stormwind city.

Fix`d.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Geldar wrote:
Braiden wrote:I'm all for this kind of thing, organizing the nobles, being greedy and argueing with the council (just a little Razz) would provide exellent high society roleplay and a reason for the common man to ATTACK, KILL MAIM AND BURN nobles walking the streets of stormwind city.

Fix`d.

Well whatever floats your boat Razz The point is that being a noble will have some impact Wink
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Do we have any families that aren't of noble blood? ..Maybe some sea-faring thug-like gingers..?
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Lukeian/Natelda wrote:Do we have any families that aren't of noble blood? ..Maybe some sea-faring thug-like gingers..?

There are more commoners than nobles, but most people rp someone who has made their way in the world. AS they should. An example of this is the Council, there are no nobles on the council but each is a professional bar one. The only really well established families of real nobility would probably be the Helmsleys, the Trollbanes and the Dawnweavers. There are others but I can't think.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Just to crit there, No one should Rp in a certain way. They should RP what they feel suits them. I personally, Just feels it's a shame sometimes non-noble families are over looked and people do generally rush to play powerful, and influencial charecters without seeing the pros of being more mundane.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Lukeian/Natelda wrote:Just to crit there, No one should Rp in a certain way. They should RP what they feel suits them. I personally, Just feels it's a shame sometimes non-noble families are over looked and people do generally rush to play powerful, and influencial charecters without seeing the pros of being more mundane.

..The pros being?
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next