Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

+19
Zaraj
Charlie Blazesong
siegmund
Haen Strongwind
Feral / Blackfall
Thondalar Stormleaf
Kayle Ravelle
erwtenpeller
Vardrek/Burgen
Officer High Morale
Amaryl
Tamil
Rmuffn
Beladon
Reynar / Raviran
Nexiax
Adry
Ixirar
Robin Drake
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP] - Page 3 Empty Re: Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

Post by Adry Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Or you could do neither? If I found myself in a situation such as this where the lore was changed, or in this case clarified, in such a way as to contradict my type of RP, I wouldn't stop playing the character, but I also wouldn't keep adding to it. So I would, if I were you, continue to play the Tanarisi character and simply not host events such as these. That way I don't need to change my roleplay, and nobody can really criticise me since I'd not be making any lorebreaking decisions after they were proven to be lorebreaks.

Edit: Okay that change to the op is reasonable, now it's fine.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet
Name: Lelitha Étoires
Title: Pretend-Champion of the Band of the Brave

Back to top Go down

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP] - Page 3 Empty Re: Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

Post by NicholasBullard (Taph) Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:42 am

After having read the orginal post with much interest, I'm quite enthousiastic about this event.

I was disappointed to see a large number of comments which, in my eyes, derailed the thread. What do you guys think, would it be an option to separate the discussion into

1) An in-depth thread about whether or not people should stop creating Tanaris-based characters;

and

2) A simple thread from someone who wants to create RP and came up with an event idea.

A number of existing and active characters would be made 'unviable' if we suddenly all accepted this new lore into our realm lore rules. I would consider it denying roleplay if they would start feeling uneasy with their character's background, due to changes forced upon them by the community.

The original poster invested time and energy into this idea, only to be faced with a significant amount of opposition. I would not be surprised if the original poster feels discouraged to continue the entire event idea. I regret this, for the sake of RP (which we are all here for) and for the sake of harmony within the community.

I hope we can make this happen.

Nick Bullard
NicholasBullard (Taph)
NicholasBullard (Taph)

Character sheet
Name: Taph Gibson
Title: Captain of the Gilneas Platoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:51 am

NicholasBullard wrote:A number of existing and active characters would be made 'unviable' if we suddenly all accepted this new lore into our realm lore rules. I would consider it denying roleplay if they would start feeling uneasy with their character's background, due to changes forced upon them by the community.

These aren't changes forced upon them by the community, this is the official lore. If you roleplay in the Warcraft universe, you should be expected to follow its lore.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by NicholasBullard (Taph) Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:04 am

Adry wrote:If you roleplay in the Warcraft universe, you should be expected to follow its lore.

I agree on this point, and if someone decided to start roleplaying Harry Potter characters in Stormwind I would stand shoulder to shoulder with you, Adry.

I fail to understand why player initiative for a temporary event in an otherwise abandoned zone, should be flamed to death though.
NicholasBullard (Taph)
NicholasBullard (Taph)

Character sheet
Name: Taph Gibson
Title: Captain of the Gilneas Platoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenbeard Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:10 am

Adry wrote:
NicholasBullard wrote:A number of existing and active characters would be made 'unviable' if we suddenly all accepted this new lore into our realm lore rules. I would consider it denying roleplay if they would start feeling uneasy with their character's background, due to changes forced upon them by the community.

These aren't changes forced upon them by the community, this is the official lore. If you roleplay in the Warcraft universe, you should be expected to follow its lore.

server lore is bad, and you should feel bad for proposing it

- the ministry of magic
Greenbeard
Greenbeard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 am

Greenbeard wrote:server lore is bad, and you should feel bad for proposing it

- the ministry of magic

You forgot to use this stamp!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now, if you're trying to be clever by pointing out that by being a part of the Stormwind Council I am contributing to server lore, yes you are correct. Also note that never did I actually say server lore was bad, I said it shouldn't contradict Blizzard lore.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:33 am

I finally decided to take matters into my own hands and do what we have all been waiting for. I have taken a stand against these heretics. Yes. I realise I made this post.. but over the course of four pages and thousands of wasted characters I came to breaking point. I did it for us. Not as a server. As a community. As a family. There's probably spelling mistakes in there too I was under so much pressure and time-strain I was quite panicked and will soon be admitted into hospital under shock-related circumstances.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And for those of you that have decided to go the opposite way. And ignore these foul-smelling heathens.
"How to be a heretic":

When judgement day shall come. You will not be remembered as one of the few heroes in this sullen earth that held fast against an encroaching evil.
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet
Name: Robin Drake
Title: Wolf of Shady Lady Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenbeard Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:36 am

Adry wrote:
Now, if you're trying to be clever by pointing out that by being a part of the Stormwind Council I am contributing to server lore, yes you are correct. Also note that never did I actually say server lore was bad, I said it shouldn't contradict Blizzard lore.

blizzard lore never implied the existance of a council, rather it underlined the authoritary character of king chinn (if i recall correctly in a novel it is stated that the nobles were pretty much disdained)

db thrived on server lore, stop weeping and instead commit and give suggestions to improve a possible and funny plot

peace
Greenbeard
Greenbeard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:55 am

The council is different in that it's something that was created ICly by the chars of real players. The council has no authority and can be disregarded, serving only as advisors to the king. There's no official lore stating that the King doesn't have advisors. There is, however, official lore stating that, prior to Jaina arriving in Kalimdor, there were no humans in Tanaris, which invalidates the idea that you can base your character on ancient Tanarisi culture.

It'd be perfectly legit for a bunch of human chars to go down to Tanaris and create a caliphate or a tribe society or whatever right now, since no official lore states that humans are incapable of such a thing. It only states that there aren't any native tanarisi humans. After the pirates and stuff arrived in Kalimdor, though, there's nothing stopping anybody from creating a Tanarisi culture from then on, but none of your characters were born and raced in a tribe of nomadic tanarisi natives, because those don't exist. Not according to the community. According to Blizzard.

Acknowledging the legimitacy of official Warcraft lore should be a bare minimum for RPing on World of Warcraft. If you want custom lore, go play private servers.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 am

People asked for another thread, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Adry
Adry

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:08 am

This thread has gotten way out of hand on both sides.
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 am

Basically to fix everything. And redirect everyone to the other thread who wish to keep discussing this.

People who take part in this event will be captured by a group of bandits. As suggested. These bandits will contain certain features that were labelled "Tanarisi" such as dark-skinned individuals who may or may not have made up their own language to make contact easier without being caught by any form of law enforcement. Being able to write letters in some form of code language can certainly be helpful. These individuals will not be -Natives- just bandits. The Original Post has already been updated to delete and get rid of any references regarding the slave-traders being born and raised in the area of Tanaris. The event is still scheduled for the 22nd October at 20:15 Server time.

It'd be cool if people let me know in advance if they wanna take part or some such. As a tribe member or a slave!

Zaraj wrote:After all, the story seems centered around a few people crashing on the shores of Tanaris and getting captured by the people living there, which could be bandits. To me, there doesn't even seem to be a need for any "culture" or "lore" per say. Bandits would probably see potential slaves as any other prize and commodity, and would serve well enough as basis for an event such as this. Sure, maybe the guy having written the tanarisi lore would feel gutted for having to dismiss it due to pressure from the community, but the appeal of an event such as this is the potential story behind the enslavement and the captors etc. And that story, the story which the player partakes in, is more important than any backstory imo.

Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet
Name: Robin Drake
Title: Wolf of Shady Lady Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamil Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Zaraj wrote:the story seems centered around a few people crashing on the shores of Tanaris and getting captured by the people living there

Anyone interested in playing either side, might want to have a look at this useful guide.  Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tamil
Tamil

Character sheet
Name: Tamil Rodericson
Title: Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3