Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

+19
Zaraj
Charlie Blazesong
siegmund
Haen Strongwind
Feral / Blackfall
Thondalar Stormleaf
Kayle Ravelle
erwtenpeller
Vardrek/Burgen
Officer High Morale
Amaryl
Tamil
Rmuffn
Beladon
Reynar / Raviran
Nexiax
Adry
Ixirar
Robin Drake
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP] Empty Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

Post by Robin Drake Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Effect:

The sun would beat down on the small scouting party of Not-Tanarisi-affiliated tribesmen as their camels make their way down another dune. The wind would blow heavily here and sand would blind the party of "Savages" if they did not wear cloths to cover their faces. The air somewhat salty as the jingling of both blades and knapsacks would ring through the immediate area surrounding them. The sun would be at it's highest point and noiceably there would be no fresh water in sight for miles. Just sand to the left, sand to the right - Sand to the middle and sand between the tribesmans toes. Where their dark skin would be bare the Definitely-not-native tribe members would have clear tribal-like tattoos. Brands that were given to them in their youth that stood for powerful omens. Long black hair would fall down to their shoulders or be tied up in messy knots.

The party would slowly begin to ascend a larger dune the figure at the front of the caravan completely obscured by the sand blowing in the winds. Charms would hang from the harnesses of the tanned beasts rattling in the weather as the most proficient beasts continue their ascent. Suddenly the front-most tribesman would have stopped his cape flapping as he eyes over the ridge and the others would soon follow lining up their camels neatly. In front of them and below them would be the long and endless crystal blue waters of the Great Sea. Wildlife would skitter from in and out of the sand as a few palm trees would litter the otherwise sparse landscape. Muttering in some form of made up language that in no way represents a native culture the frontsman would reach for a large weapon with the likeliness of both a cleaver and machete pointing it downwards close to the edge of the water. Chatter would begin to erupt amongst the small scouting party before the cloak-wearer would once again mutter in his strange tongue this time sounding slightly angry. Then the group would slowly begin to advance on the beached and ruined ship jutting into the edge of the desert. Immobile. Defenseless. Bountiful.

OOC:

So. A few of us decided to get together for we dunno how long and start off a storyline which will be based in and around Tanaris. Focusing on a group of merchants/travellers crash-landing on the shores of Tanaris and being captured by the Non-native bandit tribe. The story above is just a show of how it -Might- go. The ship is yet to leave and theres plenty more space on board for anyone who is even slightly interested in some smaller-scale group RP continually for a few days.. weeks.. we'll see how it goes. We're looking to have player ran mini DM events and such being a -Prisoner- isn't all about being tortured! Maybe you'll be pitted against a basilisk in one of the famous Sand-man arena's and earn your freedom! Perhaps even earn a spot -In- the tribe. Gladiator training, hunts out in the desert and introduction to the already player-made Tanarisi lore! Anything that is plausible can be done. Because RP.

This is -Not- a guild motive. There will be no guild at all more just a random bunch of people who have the time and passion to want to try something different. Something more than walking around Stormwind boring people whilst buying a fine glass of whiskey. We're looking for people to both DM events, be captives and even tribe members too! There's plenty to learn and explore in Tanaris RP and we're hoping to just make it a small part-time thing between now and whenever we get bored.

So basically if you want to be a part of this.. have an idea and want to RP it out we can do that IC if you contact me in game. Or be at the docks on the 22nd of October at 20:15 ST. Also if you're worried about gankers or whatever don't be - If it does get to the point where we're being ganked we'll move into one of the AQ raids as a placeholder or Zul'Farrak dependant on how many people are online at that time.

Last edited by Robin Drake on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Non-plausible RP violating Blizzard Terms & Regulations. Threats of perma-bans.)
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet
Name: Robin Drake
Title: Wolf of Shady Lady Street

Back to top Go down

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP] Empty Re: Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

Post by Ixirar Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

introduction to the already player-made Tanarisi lore

Lore which Blizzard has officially contradicted. There's no Tanarisi culture. There's no ancient tradition of sand tribes. Blizzard were asked specifically about this in a Lore Q&A once and they contradicted the notion of a Tanarisi people.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP] Empty Re: Sands & Slaves [Non-native sand men RP]

Post by Adry Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

"Tanarisi" does not exist. A Blizzard QnA years ago debunked the idea. The humans we see ingame in Tanaris are people that crashlanded there no more than twenty years ago. In The War of the Ancients novel, Tyrande casts a great mist over all of Kalimdor that obscures it from the rest of the world until -very- recently.

Additionally, the idea of a "Tanarisi" language is also incredibly suspect. In the Warcraft universe, every known race speaks Common. In fact, languages appear to simply be a phenomenon of different races having differing interpretations of Common. If you go to the fathest depths of the Great Dark Beyond, the races you find there will speak Common. There is literally no need for a "Tanarisi" language to ever exist, nor does it fit at all into the lore we are provided with.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet
Name: Lelitha Étoires
Title: Pretend-Champion of the Band of the Brave

Back to top Go down

Post by Nexiax Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Sounds like a good idea for RP. Good luck with this Smile
Nexiax
Nexiax

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Everyone who has ever RPed one knows that it does not exist in World of Warcraft lore. It's purely PLAYER MADE LORE! You don't have to acknowledge it but it's been here for so many years and has had an impact on the realm and it's RP, making it very unique spice compared to other RP servers.
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:55 pm

The reasonable thing to do, when Blizzard say player lore cannot exist, is to stop adding to it. Fair enough if you played a Tanarisi character before Blizzard posted the QnA, but making one now is just ignorant.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Never even heard of the whole QnA, so it's completely irrelevant to me.
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Then ignorant we are! But still continuing with this. Because we can. Thanks for the advice however :3 It's okay.. I heard they got post-card shops over there somewhere. We'll get a nice snap. Maybe we'll find a Gnom-phinx.. or something.
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:00 pm

If player lore is ok as long as it's unique, I could just as well create a guild centered around the ancient kingdom of the Badlands and claim that it's a centuries old kingdom with a well established culture and a unique language.

But that'd be contradicting Blizzard lore. Just as the continuation of the Tanarisi people as a lore concept on Defias is. So it shouldn't be done.

For reference: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Q: Are the Wastewander Bandits of Tanaris and nomadic humans of Uldum native to the region or did they come to Kalimdor during the period of the Third War? If it’s the latter, why did their societies change so much in the short amount of time between then and WoW?
A: The Wastewander Bandits descend from a small band of human pirates who arrived in Kalimdor shortly after its discovery by the peoples of the Eastern Kingdoms. When the Southsea pirates arrived and entered into competition with them, they were essentially marooned in Tanaris after their few ships were stolen. They took to a new life as bandits and started raiding rich goblin settlements and capturing their life-giving water wells. After the failure of Uldum’s cloaking device a few bandits split off from the Wastewanders to pilfer the treasures of the titans.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:08 pm

During my years, the best RP has come out from player-made lore. The best concepts are the ones that do not exist in the current lore. If it's well executed, original, unique and fun, then who are you to say that it should be stopped? Blizzard doesn't even care about our RP anyway, so why the hell should we include their opinion on such a trivial matter when it has been done for almost a decade? It's not like it will ruin anyone's immersion nor experience. Quite the opposite really, it only enriches it!
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Sure, player lore is great and adds depth. However, THIS player lore in specific contradicts official Blizzard lore, since Blizzard's official word on the matter is that tanarisi sand tribes don't exist. Yes, freedom to make up concepts of your own is -great-, however we all RP in the universe of Warcraft, so making sure your RP stays within the confines of the official lore of said universe should be a social contract we all agree to stick to. If you can break that rule a little bit, you can break it period. And we don't want that.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:34 pm

*A large note would be -Hammered- into the wall to the left of the entrance to the Pig and Whistle. that reads the following*

CREW NEEDED - An expedition of amazing proportions! Heading for the sandy beaches on both a historical and archaeological sightseeing trip! Bring the whole family! We are in need of:

-Experienced Sailors
-Protection
- Chefs
- Kittens. (somebody said cats were good luck)

Interested in signing that dotted line?
Look for "The opportunity" a ship currently docked in the harbour. Payment will be given half on leaving the city and half on returning safely. Failure to return safely will result in the taxation of your wages.

Final ship leaving time:
22nd of this month at fifteen minutes past the eighth bell!
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:39 pm

By "We" it's only you two now is it?

At the end of the day, nothing about it will most likely change. I for one will not kill my character just so you can sleep better at nights, nor will anyone else if I dare say.

The rules you speak of have been broken a million times already anyway. Nobody gives a shit about the smallest of freaking details in the official lore that Blizzard made up on the spot to answer one question during a QnA thread.

There have been dozens of guild concepts based on the most extraordinary stuff that do not exist according to "official lore" here in Defias Brotherhood. And the only ones who really take offense to that or even care about the authenticity of them are the forum warriors. It really sounds so nice when you correct peoples "mistakes" on paper, but in reality you're just piling up hate.

In short: Your very well-made argument was just based on a point which....we do not give a shit about at the moment.

Feel free to join us for some tribal RP later aye?

(Pardon my lack of quoting, I can't seem to edit my posts for unknown reasons.)
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I found the post card shop. I suck at paint. Not too sure why there's balls and chains attached to his arms. But yeah. Deal with it.

Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladon Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Okay, this made lol. Nice artwork.
Beladon
Beladon

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 am

Sophyra kicked off the server-lore Tanarisi culture quite hard some years back.

All servers, DB more than most, has had accepted server-lore, so dunno why people objected up there. Razz

Go for it, I say.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamil Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Nice initiative. I think it's good to see some RP centered around other spots than Stormwind, and a naval expedition gone awry sounds like a fun setup. Lovely artwork! Very Happy
Tamil
Tamil

Character sheet
Name: Tamil Rodericson
Title: Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Rmuffin; I don't want to put words in people's mouthes, nor do I particulairly care if people RP this or not (go for it if you find it fun), but just because someone pursued it heavily/created it when there wasn't any official lore regarding the Tanarisi bandits, Once the lore existed Melny posted that this idea was done:

melnerag wrote:  
Q: Are the Wastewander Bandits of Tanaris and nomadic humans of Uldum native to the region or did they come to Kalimdor during the period of the Third War? If it’s the latter, why did their societies change so much in the short amount of time between then and WoW?

A: The Wastewander Bandits descend from a small band of human pirates who arrived in Kalimdor shortly after its discovery by the peoples of the Eastern Kingdoms. When the Southsea pirates arrived and entered into competition with them, they were essentially marooned in Tanaris after their few ships were stolen. They took to a new life as bandits and started raiding rich goblin settlements and capturing their life-giving water wells. After the failure of Uldum’s cloaking device a few bandits split off from the Wastewanders to pilfer the treasures of the titans.

As such, I am closing this thread for some heavy re-thinking. Consider everything I've written null and void. (No, not THIS line!)

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer High Morale Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Looks cool, have fun with it! What a Face Smile Very Happy

Officer High Morale

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Amaryl wrote:Rmuffin; I don't want to put words in people's mouthes, nor do I particulairly care if people RP this or not (go for it if you find it fun), but just because someone pursued it heavily/created it when there wasn't any official lore regarding the Tanarisi bandits, Once the lore existed Melny posted that this idea was done:

melnerag wrote:  

As such, I am closing this thread for some heavy re-thinking. Consider everything I've written null and void. (No, not THIS line!)

Yeah well everyone knew there wasn't really a chance of there being a native human race in Tanaris even before that QnA. It was just a matter of time when they answered that question and I hardly think anyone ever was like "Oh no, there are no native-humans in Kalimdor after all darn it".

Since the Tanarisi player-made lore was made on a loophole that wasn't really bothered or noticed to close up, and was taken a lot further by other players afterwards. It's safe to say that it took on a life of it's own and it's too late to start bringing up the topic of "Is this okay?"

I believe it's just become one of the many flavours here in our community which really makes the realm so great.
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:50 pm

It's an incredibly minor thing in the community now. Who else still roleplays a Tanarisi? If this was still widely regarded then fair enough, but it simply isn't.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Adry wrote:It's an incredibly minor thing in the community now. Who else still roleplays a Tanarisi? If this was still widely regarded then fair enough, but it simply isn't.

Only a handful of people at the moment yeah, I'm certainly not the only active one even if you'd like to think that. This community is too small to even use the term "widely regarded" now anyways.

Your comment was as ignorant as targeting a guild who you haven't RPed with and then saying 'Lol do they even do anything?' So please refrain from doing that in the future.
Now if you have any problems or just the need to reply me with something witty then do PM me.
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Vardrek/Burgen Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Server Lore should not be taken over the established game lore if it is wrong however, if we find that something is contradicting the main lore of the game then it is best to cease and desist that action is it not, otherwise server lore that contradicts the established game lore then makes server lore that does not do so look bad.
Vardrek/Burgen
Vardrek/Burgen

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 pm

I'm sure A Bunch of Campers are thrilled about this initiative, though.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:09 am

erwtenpeller wrote:I'm sure A Bunch of Campers are thrilled about this initiative, though.

Mantis Reid wrote:Also if you're worried about gankers or whatever don't be - If it does get to the point where we're being ganked we'll move into one of the AQ raids as a placeholder or Zul'Farrak dependant on how many people are online at that time.

Let them be thrilled. Let them be entertained. Let them fear our army of camels.
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next