Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Two Weeks of MoP - Keep Roleplay alive!

+23
Thrakha
The Z
Raenmar
Grim
Amaryl
Lexgrad
Seranita
Kozgugore Feraleye
Dréfurion
Humphry
Bloedneus
Tuomas/Decurius
Ixirar
Zinkle Figgins
Khrona Lockheart
Sohan
Magaskawee/Anaei
corleth
erwtenpeller
Vaell
Coppersocket
Thelos
Melnerag
27 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

First Two Weeks of MoP - Keep Roleplay alive! - Page 2 Empty Re: First Two Weeks of MoP - Keep Roleplay alive!

Post by Bloedneus Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 am

Coppersocket wrote:Possible that most of the army knows, however I would be very, very surprised if it wasn't a non-disclosure agreement on the knowledge for now.
NDAs, really? Did we all sign them? Where were they xeroxed? Seriously though, NDAs in a fantasy setting? All fun aside, NDAs are hardly a way to keep things from coming out in the open, and once it happened, it certainly doesn't magically remove the leaked information.

Coppersocket wrote:
So I imagine anyone spilling the beans would be trialed for treason until said is lifted.

The heroes there would most likely also have this applied to them.

You imagine this, you think this likely. Others might disagree and take an approach that allows them to RP in an exciting new place with exciting new options. Really, what's the problem? They're wrong? Oh noes! Someone on the internet is wrong. Let people just be on their merry way and enjoy their brand spanking new content IC.

I'm wrong, I know it. But I'm having fun.

Ah crap, now I got involved in an internet discussion...
Bloedneus
Bloedneus

Back to top Go down

First Two Weeks of MoP - Keep Roleplay alive! - Page 2 Empty Re: First Two Weeks of MoP - Keep Roleplay alive!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:31 am

So I heard The Aegis got into Outland before anyone else...

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Coppersocket wrote:There are no "rumors" tho.

What about the Panda-men running around SW? Last night when Humphry and Kitt finally made it back from Theramore and let the gang know they weren't dead we had a couple of Panda's come into the bar. It mostly lead to a whole "OMG Brigs was right, but he's crazy, but look giant bear-men!" and "What do you mean our ales bad? You're just a giant stuffed toy!" train of conversation. But then it got down to some more serious RP with questions and discovery about their race (And them learning some about humans). Over all it was very interesting and quite fun, so would the fact we have giant Panda-men walking around talking about their home not, you know, raise some rumors?

Personally I don't have a problem with people being in Pandaland ICly, I mean they could have chartered a private ship and gone looking for it, it'd make more sense for them to do so as part of a larger group such as a guild and what not since I doubt any commoner would do something like that alone, let alone have the funds. But I say let folks have their fun. We all pay our sub each month, and people have just forked out £40 for the expansion, let them explore it however they see fit. I mean hell, if we're waiting on Blizz lore to "allow" people to go there we're all screwed. Blizz are the -biggest- LoreLolers out there. Kitt nor myself have the game yet, in fact we're seriously thinking about finding Corleth on the streets and joining him in busking for it. But when I do, I'll leave it until I have a viable reason for going to Pandaland. Perhaps after the initial wave the military hire some mercs to accompany them (canon fodder) or Humphry simply wishes to explore the new continent now it's somewhat "safer" and has the Blades go as protection. But that's just me, and how I'd do it, we all play differently and we all pay to play, so why not let people enjoy the game they pay for how they want to.

TLDR; We all pay our sub and those in Pandaland have payed their £40 for the game, let them explore what they have payed for how they like, it's their money, it's their experience that matters.
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm

I like you, Hummers. You're a good man.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:27 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:You know what? Maybe I don't want to be "right".

If I want to role play in the exciting expansion content, I damn well will.

This, a thousand times this.

Screw the lore, there's a continent out there waiting to be explored!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Humphry wrote:

What about the Panda-men running around SW? Last night when Humphry and Kitt finally made it back from Theramore and let the gang know they weren't dead we had a couple of Panda's come into the bar. It mostly lead to a whole "OMG Brigs was right, but he's crazy, but look giant bear-men!" and "What do you mean our ales bad? You're just a giant stuffed toy!" train of conversation. But then it got down to some more serious RP with questions and discovery about their race (And them learning some about humans). Over all it was very interesting and quite fun, so would the fact we have giant Panda-men walking around talking about their home not, you know, raise some rumors?

Personally I don't have a problem with people being in Pandaland ICly, I mean they could have chartered a private ship and gone looking for it, it'd make more sense for them to do so as part of a larger group such as a guild and what not since I doubt any commoner would do something like that alone, let alone have the funds. But I say let folks have their fun. We all pay our sub each month, and people have just forked out £40 for the expansion, let them explore it however they see fit. I mean hell, if we're waiting on Blizz lore to "allow" people to go there we're all screwed. Blizz are the -biggest- LoreLolers out there. Kitt nor myself have the game yet, in fact we're seriously thinking about finding Corleth on the streets and joining him in busking for it. But when I do, I'll leave it until I have a viable reason for going to Pandaland. Perhaps after the initial wave the military hire some mercs to accompany them (canon fodder) or Humphry simply wishes to explore the new continent now it's somewhat "safer" and has the Blades go as protection. But that's just me, and how I'd do it, we all play differently and we all pay to play, so why not let people enjoy the game they pay for how they want to.

TLDR; We all pay our sub and those in Pandaland have payed their £40 for the game, let them explore what they have payed for how they like, it's their money, it's their experience that matters.
If you weren't aware already, the Pandas in the Alliance/Horde are from the turtle, which is not related to Pandaria.

and yes, Blizzard aren't amazing at keeping lore very clean, and it's not like I do not understand why people would want to go to RP in Pandaria. Hell, I want to, as well- however, -knowing- the fact that the information isn't revealed to the public, I'm not going to grab the guild and say "Hey, let's go explore this land I magically got information about out of fucking nowhere."

It's pretty delicate, the situation.
Nobody can stop you from going to Pandaria and RPing there, however question is if you do your own character justice bringing him/her there if your reason is severely lacking and given the only reason you actually know about the area at all is because you've specifically given your character this information.

It's not so much Pandaria this is about, it's about how you roleplay. If you don't care about anything other than what suits you and tend to be ignorant of what doesn't- then how does this not make you power-play it?
Hindering peoples fun? Perhaps. The Theramore event is a good example of this, it didn't occur until after the game events, so it would be more 'canon' for the RP'ers of the server. Same thing with Deathwing's death, we did not claim him dead, until he was- properly dead. The information of the Archbishop being a twilight cultist wasn't revealed until later in the community too.
While we're somewhat ignorant of some of the things Blizzard does, things like these are very rarely ignored, and right now you people are just so stuck on RPing in pandaland that you ignore what doesn't suit you. In personal opinion, that's quite poor quality RP right there.

THat said, I won't raise a finger to try halt anyone from RPing there, but they should damn well keep this in mind.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Coppersocket wrote:Hell, I want to, as well- however, -knowing- the fact that the information isn't revealed to the public, I'm not going to grab the guild and say "Hey, let's go explore this land I magically got information about out of fucking nowhere."
So grab your guild and go on a ship to Stranglethorn to score some high-profit shady deal, when suddenly wham! You're hit by a giant storm, are blown off-course and the thugs find themselves run aground on unfamiliar shores...

Presto, pandas.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Humphry wrote:

Those pandas came from the wandering isle and do not even know about the existence of Pandaria, to them it is at most a myth they tell their children as bedtime stories. Oh my god are people really so ignorant that this is not common knowledge by now?
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm

The Pandaren from the Wandering Isle damn well know of Pandaria's existance, just go to the Lorewalker. So yeah, people would know the following:
1. There are pandaren walking the streets.
2. They come from a isle that is moving.
3. The first panda who set out on that isle came from their homelands, Pandaria.
4. Thus there must exist a place called Pandaria out there, home to more pandaren.

These are facts easily available to any who takes a small talk with a pandaren RPer who knows his background- You know, read the texts to the intro quests and all that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:
Those pandas came from the wandering isle and do not even know about the existence of Pandaria, to them it is at most a myth they tell their children as bedtime stories. Oh my god are people really so ignorant that this is not common knowledge by now?

I disagree. Again, see the Lorewalker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Dwyburn wrote:The Pandaren from the Wandering Isle damn well know of Pandaria's existance, just go to the Lorewalker. So yeah, people would know the following:
3. The first panda who set out on that isle came from their homelands, Pandaria.
4. Thus there must exist a place called Pandaria out there, home to more pandaren.

These are facts easily available to any who takes a small talk with a pandaren RPer who knows his background- You know, read the texts to the intro quests and all that.

The only Wandering Isle pandaren who set foot on Pandaria are long dead because, you know, it happened pre-war of the ancients (There were some pandaren who fought in the war of the ancients so they were already out and about then) and Pandaren age like everybody else and aren't immortal at all. So no, the only "proof" that the Wandering Isle pandaren have of Pandaria's existence is that their parents told them about it, parents who in turn were told about it by their parents and so on. This is evident in the fact that Chen Stormstout is VERY honest about never having been to Pandaria before in his life when you meet him in Valley of the Four Winds.

And also, only Varian/Garrosh and their closest advisors know about Pandaria. Many army people surely know that the fleet/Skyfire were dispatched but surely not the details about where/why.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Metzen himself spoke of Pandaria during the opening. It's been shrouded, in it's own dimension. This would lead to believe that even the Pandaren themselves would not actually be aware of it's location until it becomes public.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Except the island being a turtle ect, in other words, all the other parts of the Lorewalker's lecture to the kids is not legend, but well-known facts. Based on that I think the Pandaren on the wandering isle treats Pandaria's existance as a fact as well. It's location would be unknown to them, naturally.

Note, these are my assumptions, not absolute facts, but I think my reasoning is sound in this.

Edit: @Ixi ofc

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Dwyburn wrote:The Pandaren from the Wandering Isle damn well know of Pandaria's existance, just go to the Lorewalker. So yeah, people would know the following:

This! So Ixirar/Kavalis, are you so ignorant that this is not seen as common knowledge by you by now? Nobody is saying they have been there, but they would know it exists and most likely those Panderen as a culture believe it is out there. So why wouldn't they mention it when asked about where they are from?

And Copper;

Well, like I said, I'm not going there ICly any time soon, but I in no way condemn or criticize the people who are/have. I mean yeah it'd make more sense for nobody to know about it and so on. But that's going to be impossible, like I said, people have payed for it, they are to experience it however they like, and at the end of the day it's their money, their choice. I'm not getting the Blades up to all go explore it ICly, but I know for a fact there are a couple of members who are there ICly and as I said, it's their choice and I'm not going to try and tell them no they can't do that.

Now perhaps if it was like with Theramore and it was just a case of waiting a few days, people may do it. But we could be waiting months for Blizz to turn around and say "Hey, it's cool guys. The words out and everyone knows.". I personally think it's unreasonable to expect everyone to wait until then. The same goes for Deathwings demise, the main reason everyone was okay with waiting on that and not wanting to wait on Pandaland is fairly simple. Waiting for DW to be announced as dead did not cut them off from an entire continent of explorable content they had just payed £40 for.

If you don't like the fact people are there, just ignore what they're saying when they come back, pretend they are crazy, or it was all just some really vivid drug trip they must have been on, perhaps they have been talking to a Panda-man and decided to make up this wonderful tale about an adventure they they have done to try and impress others or simply to gain attention. Just because someone say's something, doesn't mean your character has to take it to heart or believe it, there are various ways to reason your character out of believing it. I know when Brigs first went out about a floating Island filled with talking kung fu bear-men, Humphry thought it was simply the ramblings of a mad man until he saw a Panda-man with his own eyes in SW.
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 pm

So then the question remains, who's an idiot enough to set out on a wild goosechase to find pandaria and have it in their mind to believe they could find it in two days? It'd take extreme luck to find it on your own.

@Hump, that's the way we've always treated people who acts above what it's sensible they'd know (Like people claiming we're from 'The Cartel', a name which did happen to rise from power emoting, among RPers). The Cartel is very prone on it's quality, and we're willing to wait it out to be sure that we're not acting out of character to get what we want for our characters.

As for the mindset of "Everyone can do what they like without consequence", I though we left that mindset in Goldshire.
I'm not lowering my standards just because there's a fancy new continent out there.

Last edited by Coppersocket on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Except the island being a turtle ect, in other words, all the other parts of the Lorewalker's lecture to the kids is not legend, but well-known facts. Based on that I think the Pandaren on the wandering isle treats Pandaria's existance as a fact as well. It's location would be unknown to them, naturally.

Christians treat God's existence as fact, so it must be true by your logic.

Yes, Pandaren on the Isle treat Pandaria's existence as a fact, but matter of fact is NONE OF THEM have any way to confirm this fact. They "know" that it is there in the sense that they believe firmly in it, as it is a big part of their cultural heritage, but none of them would ever have seen the continent or anybody who knew of its whereabouts.

I'm not saying that people can't be on Pandaria, infact there's several dozen ways I could see it work, but people going all "WELL I'M THERE NOW FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN I WANT TO DO IT SO FUCK YOU I PAID £40 FOR THE XPAC I HAVE TO ENJOY IT." is borderline lollish to me.

Last edited by Ixirar/Kavalis on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Khrona Lockheart Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry for typos writing from phone here ^.^

I agree with it being everyones choice, my guild rped boarding Hellscreams Fist and crash landing, our coms losing signal in the mists, even one of our members M.I.A as they are leaving for a few months, being kor'kron it made the experience that much more immersive, its been amazin xD we left some of our members in orgrimmar (low levels) to deal with the war and affairs in the known regions of Azeroth. Fighting the 7th legion has never beenbso awesome!

"A new land he says, paint it red he says.... Blurghhhh" xD

No pandas ic in our guild so thankfully no confusions pre patch as of yet, i am loving WoW more than ever!!!! MoP <3<3<3
Khrona Lockheart
Khrona Lockheart

Character sheet
Name: Khrona Lockheart
Title: Master

http://Blood-Aegis.enjin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

@Khrona: This is one of the ways I see it working. It even spawned SENSIBLE roleplay which is awesome aswell! The Kor'kron would definitely have a presence in Pandaria so there's that.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

So in the end it all boils down to: Make it make sense?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Dwyburn wrote:So in the end it all boils down to: Make it make sense?

To me, yes. Nobody has just chartered a small-ass boat and found Pandaria in two days with no idea about where to look, and the enviroment of Pandaria is so bloody hostile that nobody would survive that trip either.

I'm all for creating RP and enjoying the new Xpac, but honestly, atm Pandaria is a strict secret amongst the top. I don't mind it being made public before 5.1, but there's a limit to how soon would make sense.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes. It needs to make sense. Something our friend Delidah doesn't know the meaning of. (Yup, I just went there)
Anyhow, as long as it's a valid reason for being in Pandaria, there's nothing anyone's gonna bitch about. But if you just 'adjust things to your liking to fit your purposes' then you're no better than the lollers.

It's about commitment. Are you committed enough to your character to give him/her a valid reason to go to Pandaria? Or are you so unimaginative that you cannot make a proper excuse to be there? If you are, then why the fuck are you role playing?
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloedneus Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Coppersocket wrote:So then the question remains, who's an idiot enough to set out on a wild goosechase to find pandaria and have it in their mind to believe they could find it in two days? It'd take extreme luck to find it on your own.

Maybe not two days, but ehm... Columbus? Tasman? Barendtsz?
Bloedneus
Bloedneus

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Coppersocket wrote:As for the mindset of "Everyone can do what they like without consequence", I though we left that mindset in Goldshire.
I'm not lowering my standards just because there's a fancy new continent out there.

I'm not sure anyone said they'd be doing whatever they want without consequences, every action has a consequence be it good or bad, nobody should ever ignore that fact.

As for who'd be stupid enough to try and find the place on their own, have you met half the population of SW? Razz

And yes, the Panderen walking around would never have been their, but it makes sense that they believe it's out there so strongly they would talk about it being out there as fact, much like many people talk about their god existing being fact, they simply believe that strongly.

Now as for it needing to make sense, yes I believe it should, hence why Humphry is not going there any time soon, shit he's not ICly been to most of the Cata locations because it'd make no sense for him to do so. But there are a multitude of reasons people could have tried to seek out this strange new continent the taking pandas have told them about, and I believe people will give their characters a good enough reason to have tried. If not, then I will simply shrug it off ICly using one of the many reasons available to us to do so. And I have to say that Khrona Lockheart's reason for being there is perhaps the perfect one.

Also guys, lets remember this is something we all do for fun. So lets keep it that, for everyone. If they are not harming your fun, why should it bother you?

Last edited by Humphry on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm itching now to roll a stupid-ass goblin who built a rocket and fired himself off to "the south" to crashland in the middle of some temple.

First line of roleplay will be:

"BOOM! That just happened!"

---

EDIT: Waaaaitaminute! I have a stupid-ass goblin! Pandaria, prepare your body!

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloedneus Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Coppersocket wrote:So then the question remains, who's an idiot enough to set out on a wild goosechase to find pandaria and have it in their mind to believe they could find it in two days? It'd take extreme luck to find it on your own.

Maybe not two days, but ehm... Columbus? Tasman? Barendtsz?[/quote]

Coppersocket wrote:It's about commitment. Are you committed enough to your character to give him/her a valid reason to go to Pandaria? Or are you so unimaginative that you cannot make a proper excuse to be there? If you are, then why the fuck are you role playing?

Commitment? Bloody hell, I've been doing this all wrong. Here I thought this was about that crazy little thing called... Crap. What's the name?

Ah!

Fun!
Bloedneus
Bloedneus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next