Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A]

+30
Finnabhair
Drustai
Sadok
itsy
Ledgic
Ixirar
Kristeas Sunbinder
Magaskawee/Anaei
Grufftoof
Muzjhath
Geldar
Braiden
Shaelyssa
Dréfurion
Baròth / Olian
erwtenpeller
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Emrys
Vaell
Krogon Devilstep
Lexgrad
Shriukan
Lini
siegmund
Raenmar
Ralegh
Gesh
Rmuffn
Thelos
34 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A] - Page 3 Empty Re: General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A]

Post by Gesh Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Erahn wrote:
Lin'ith wrote:Q: How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be “horrified” if they knew the true extent of Kael’s dealings with Illidan.

A: The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel’Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs’ skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.

So much for Horde aligned High Elves.

It isn't ruled out at all. Infact, this only makes it even MORE possible rather than unlikely.

Any exposure to Fel ' Radiation ' would turn a High Elf towards jaded eyes... The Horde isn't exactly at a loss of fel users.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A] - Page 3 Empty Re: General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A]

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Erahn wrote:
Lin'ith wrote:Q: How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be “horrified” if they knew the true extent of Kael’s dealings with Illidan.

A: The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel’Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs’ skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.

So much for Horde aligned High Elves.

It isn't ruled out at all. Infact, this only makes it even MORE possible rather than unlikely.

There is more to being a Blood Elf than green eyes, I don't think that has even ever been brought up.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Indeed. Being a Blood Elf is being of the mind set that you want to honour (and avange) those fallen to the scourge. Etc etc.
It's a chosen mindset rather than anything else.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Calling Belf a race is like calling the forsaken a race really, they are more political stances than anything else.

That just being around fel corrupts you is interesting however.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Inb4 there's a dark naaru under Tirisfal.

Quoting the post that opened my eyes to the possibility:

Whispers in the Lordaeron capital's throne room...

At first, I could only think of a few beings capable of permeating the minds of other creatures. Old Gods are the go-to guys for mind-fuckery, but we've been told it's definitely not one of those. Dragons are capable of telepathy, but nothing about Lordaeron has ever alluded to the possibility of a being resembling a dragon buried underneath it. Now, Sargeras can do this quite easily, as we're aware. Furthermore, we've got the Council and Guardians of Tirisfal in Tirisfal Glades. Aegwynn defeated an avatar of Sargeras in Northrend, and the Tomb of Sargeras lies directly east of the Maelstrom. Geographically, Tirisfal Glades lies roughly between those points. If that's not compelling enough, the Scarlet Crusade - which possesses strongholds in Tirisfal Glades - is led by a Dreadlord.

...But where is this going? The breadcrumb trail kind of ends there.

Velen has speculated that the Naaru have visited Azeroth before. Based on what we've been told about Naaru, they radiate peace, calm, and serenity to those around them. They embody the Light. They can speak telepathically, and their voices are said to be soothing.

When a Naaru starts to die, and darkens, there is evidence that they begin to emanate darkness in a similar way. Now, the opposite of Light is Shadow. It's a peculiar coincidence that Lordaeron, the nation that birthed the first Paladins, has also birthed the most widespread Shadow religion.

From what we know of the effects a darkened Naaru has on its surroundings, this is all beginning to eerily add up. Auchindoun, the ancient Draenei mausoleum, housed a darkened Naaru at its center for close to a thousand years. Such oddities as Draenei Necromancers and Shadow-wielding Death Priests emerged from its depths, influenced by the negative energy it emanated. The mysterious remnants of the Shadow Council even found refuge in there.

Where else has Necromancy and Shadow magic sprung up? The crown prince of Lordaeron, Arthas Menethil, became the Lich King. One of the DK quests sends you into the Shadow realm to find your very own death pony.

This leaves us with the question of when a Naaru found its way to Tirisfal. What was it doing there in the first place, and if it has died and become a Void God of some description, what caused that to happen? The corruption of a Naaru is an exceedingly rare occurrence (despite it happening on three documented occasions), and the birth of a Void God is rarer still. The clues are only coincidental, but they're there.

How that ties in with Sargeras, I'm not certain. I would point out the similarities between Voidwalkers (the Warlock minion) and Naaru-born Void entities, and the likeness of both of those to elemental spirits. There is a possibility of a connection, and so many fine threads linking all of these things. For the sake of epicness, Blizzard's made some daft choices with World of Warcraft, but there are many unanswered questions about the wider universe, and keeping them unanswered is probably one of the company's better decisions.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:04 pm

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A] - Page 3 Elune
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Very Happy
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Honestly, I hope The Night Elves don't remain in The Alliance for the long run, be that later in WOW (Doubtful it'll change so soon.) or the years to come within The Warcraft Universe, they've been incredibly watered down and softened up, basically just to be the hot females to the generic human male protagonist.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:44 pm

The fact Tyrande was like, "ERMEGURD MLURFIOSONS I LURVE YUO", made him co-ruler and he watches her get ganked. It's ridiculous.. Also Naaru fuck my life, I wish they'd never been conceived. Same as Dranaei, there is something about infallible races that ticks me off.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Magaskawee/Anaei wrote:The fact Tyrande was like, "ERMEGURD MLURFIOSONS I LURVE YUO", made him co-ruler and he watches her get ganked. It's ridiculous.. Also Naaru fuck my life, I wish they'd never been conceived. Same as Dranaei, there is something about infallible races that ticks me off.

...Infallibe? They're about as infallible as the Tauren are.

What is with you and the draenei, Anaei? Seriously, it's starting to get under my skin.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Thelos wrote:
Magaskawee/Anaei wrote:The fact Tyrande was like, "ERMEGURD MLURFIOSONS I LURVE YUO", made him co-ruler and he watches her get ganked. It's ridiculous.. Also Naaru fuck my life, I wish they'd never been conceived. Same as Dranaei, there is something about infallible races that ticks me off.

...Infallibe? They're about as infallible as the Tauren are.

What is with you and the draenei, Anaei? Seriously, it's starting to get under my skin.

thelos is too fat to have room for anything else besides his blubber under his skin haha Im so witty
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Also Maga has whined about the draenei in gchat too Sad I tried my best to defend them but nobody had my back

the draenei aren't entirely perfect, they go through struggles too like everyone else! in fact their flaws are immensely magnified compared to other races because they're meant to be perfect

and just look at Drubitch, she uses necromancy and is a total poopface but we still love her because she's still kind of good. prime example of how the draenei arent exactly squeaky clean!
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:32 pm

They crashed a ship into a planet.

Major minus "perfect" points right there.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Ledgic Caan wrote:They crashed a ship into a planet.

Major minus "perfect" points right there.

Isn't that the Naaru's fault though? So much for them being infallible atleast..

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Unless it was the lights will to crash land on Azeroth :p

Dref worships a Naaru Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I cant express how much I love that E'lune is a wind chime!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:40 pm

I just find an almost immortal race backed by christmas-ornament angelic figures who hop from world to world in their spaceship a little.. Eh, it just ain't my cup of tea! I feel that if Blizzard wanted this race accepted they shouldv'e had them stride out a bit more, maybe found a town on Kalimdor. Have more of a presence.

I would have preferred honestly, the broken to be in the Alliance and the Draenei a thing of the past, at least then there is a sense of the race's redemption. Draenei just seem so either perfectly good, or perfectly evil eredar.

Thelos, it ain't an attack against you, tis simply moi opinion. They are my least favourite race, and I shalt bitch about 'em if I see fit. Free forums buddy, old pal.

In my heart I just feel they couldv'e been handled in a more appropriate way, or at the very least commit to Azeroth instead of treating it like a stopping off station.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 pm

They terk eur jerbs!
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by itsy Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Thelos wrote:What is with you and the draenei, Anaei? Seriously, it's starting to get under my skin.

Thelos wrote:you and the draenei, Anaei? Seriously,

Thelos wrote:draenei, Anaei?

Thelos wrote:draenei

Thelos wrote:Anaei

Thelos wrote:drAnaei

I found it
itsy
itsy

Character sheet
Name: @_@
Title: @_@

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 pm

I think every Draenei RPer and fan would like to see the Squid commit more to the story and have more of a presense.

@Glilya LOL!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Even those of us who aren't would like to see that. I wish they turned Silverpine Forrest into a Gilnean themed zone and Darkshore into a Draenei themed zone. These new races have very little presence, if any at all, outside of their starter zones.

Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Fuck.

*'s face explodes into a mass of tentacles*
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Magaskawee/Anaei wrote:Fuck.

*'s face explodes into a mass of tentacles*

Update forum pict plox!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Aldric Essalus Helmfrid wrote:Even those of us who aren't would like to see that. I wish they turned Silverpine Forrest into a Gilnean themed zone and Darkshore into a Draenei themed zone. These new races have very little presence, if any at all, outside of their starter zones.

Silverpine would be hard for game reasons, maybe less Forsaken war machine and more dawgs but only Forsaken really get the content there. Darkshore is hard to argue with, moar squid doing lighty stuff in SW would be nice and about the world. Other than the 1 dude in moonbrook and the one in the boring tundra I cant think of many more, the broken in the swamp too.....
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadok Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Aldric Essalus Helmfrid wrote:Even those of us who aren't would like to see that. I wish they turned Silverpine Forrest into a Gilnean themed zone and Darkshore into a Draenei themed zone. These new races have very little presence, if any at all, outside of their starter zones.

Pyrewood and the surrounding area already got retconned into the Gilnean aesthetic. Without the Alliance seizing control of Silverpine somewhere down the line, turning much more of it into the Gilneas art-style would seem sloppy.

Regardless, I'd love to see more draenei and worgen stuff in Kalimdor to give them more of a presence - either their own dedicated camps, or mixing in with the native architecture like at Forest Song. I can certainly understand why Gilneas and EK are far more attractive for the worgen RPer, but some RP around the Howling Oak and such would certainly be interesting, I'd wager.
Sadok
Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:50 pm

I have to agree with Anaei. I prefer the flawed race, as I do with any fantasy character. It makes for better storytelling. The Broken would have made a great race, a lot more depth imo.

I think the Draenai backstory ruins my immersion. The whole spaceship mumbo jumbo.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next