Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A]

+30
Finnabhair
Drustai
Sadok
itsy
Ledgic
Ixirar
Kristeas Sunbinder
Magaskawee/Anaei
Grufftoof
Muzjhath
Geldar
Braiden
Shaelyssa
Dréfurion
Baròth / Olian
erwtenpeller
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Emrys
Vaell
Krogon Devilstep
Lexgrad
Shriukan
Lini
siegmund
Raenmar
Ralegh
Gesh
Rmuffn
Thelos
34 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A] - Page 5 Empty Re: General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A]

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 am

Baldson wrote:I think Draenei is the only race in WoW which feels different and unique, not just some animal given human properties and slapped a fitting culture on (Tuskarr eskimo, Tauren Indians, Pandarian Chinese)

Goats middle-eastern.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A] - Page 5 Empty Re: General WoW-related news thread [6-09-12: Lore Q&A]

Post by Lexgrad Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:07 am

*looks over his shoulder at AD*
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnabhair Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:09 am

Lexgrad wrote:*looks over his shoulder at AD*

I saw that. You stay where you are, sir!! Do not MOVE from that spot!
Finnabhair
Finnabhair

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 am

Grass is always greener, Lex. Back when I was on Ravenholdt I'd look at DB yearningly.

Look how that turned out.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 am

Oh Raenmar, you're always on such a downer Sad
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:24 am

Dijie wrote:

I saw that. You stay where you are, sir!! Do not MOVE from that spot!

Well it is less toxic, thats what I can say of it. Perhaps Thelos's reply did appear over the top but go read his Naaruvada stuff, I mean read it, it wasnt pulled out of his now Worgen ass, it is hours and hours of work. And now keep that in mind, put yourself in that possition and imagine that a group called it immertion breaking, that is a slap in the face really. Why cant people on this forum see that others have feelings sometime, are we not meant to all be mates doing what we love and RPing together? DB is a choice not a prison where we have to somehow get along. Thread after thread go this way, as do RP movements.

Pack Worgens, I get you dont like it, there in lore however. Death Knights, I get you dont like it, there in lore however. I know what this server did to my hours of work and in truth I am still pissed off about it, really pissed off, my work was spat on, in the end I thought I was making RP for everyone and it was just an illusion. Out side of the guild you treated the Shroud as a joke. That is a larger part of what you did to Thelos this day, it is not the first time you did it, you likely didn't even realise you were doing it but there it is.

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 am

Come off it Lexgrad. Let's not get another thread locked. You and Thelos are being insane right now, do you know that? Anaei expressed her opinion of the Draenei race Blizzard made. Stop being such an emotional keyboard warrior. Nobody is insulting YOU or THELOS. I was in Naaruvada and I roleplayed with the Shroud many times, by the way.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:43 am

Locking threads due to drama is not the right way, it leaves neccessary debate unresolved with a bittersweet enforced end, escalating into hostility which sometimes gets reflected ICly. I am not saying this would happen in Helmfrid and Lex's case, but on a general basis. Forums are a place for debate after all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

I shouldn't even be fighting this battle, at all. It doesn't concern me and I know it but I'm just tired of having to read threads coated in whine and tears because people are getting too self-righteous or too defensive.

With that said, I'll shut the hell up now, sorry.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 am

While Thelos was overreacting, calling Draenei infallible is wrong. But it's an opinion, I guess. We all have opinions. We all find different things immersion-breaking. Some people find pandas immersion-breaking, some people find people RPing major lore characters immersion-breaking, etc.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnabhair Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:06 am

Aldric Essalus Helmfrid wrote:With that said, I'll shut the hell up now, sorry.

But...your avatar is so pretty... Sad

Anyway!

Yes, there was some overreacting involved but I do understand Thelos's point of view. And I'd say something super inspiring and clever and intelligent but I'm thirsty and tired.

Can't we all just get along? cheers
Finnabhair
Finnabhair

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:48 am

>get along
>DB

Probably not.

And Helmfrid, I'm not always on a downer Sad I'm just being realistic. I'm not even whining. I'm just remarking on what a big mess all our shit is in.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:58 am

This quite derailed from its original purpose. Drama-llama and the like, can we lock this?

(Yes, I'm a slight hypocrite considering that me and Krogon have derailed a few threads due to not being best buddies either, but still... no reason for others to get that far down as we did)
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:20 am

No. Do not lock it, a couple of people getting unreasonably upset over something that isn't even directed as a personal attack should not ruin the entire debate as a whole.

why are Draenei immersion-breaking and Pandaren aren't?
I didn't mention Pandaren because I've already stated my opinion on them in the past! I have a screenshot from Guild Wars 2 which shows how a bear can be immense to a fantasy world (pretty much a Northern Lights rip off.)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/2/22/Kodan_render.jpg/300px-Kodan_render.jpg
The actual Pandaren race have a nice background culture but an awful design and feel like a four year olds play thing. WoW should have built it like GW2 imo and made them a bit of a fiersome design.

No one is trying to say a Draenai doesn't work, considering this isn't our fiction. Anaei is arguing that she doesn't like the race as a whole. I share that opinion because their lore is dull to me. Taking that to heart is like someone insulting Dalaran and me getting angry.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 am

nah this thread is still useful for wow news

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:20 am

I'm not locking it because of a couple of hissy fits.

People do need to back off though, seriously. I'm starting to wonder if people can actually read.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:00 am

Aldric Essalus Helmfrid wrote:You and Thelos are being insane right now, do you know that? Anaei expressed her opinion of the Draenei race Blizzard made. Stop being such an emotional keyboard warrior. Nobody is insulting YOU or THELOS. I was in Naaruvada and I roleplayed with the Shroud many times, by the way.

Now that I have calmed down a little, I can perhaps explain my behavior in a more detached way.

You may call it insane or unreasonable, but whenever something gets mocked that I truly care deeply about and am invested in, I get upset. No, I am not the author of the draenei that Blizzard created. No, mocking the draenei does not mock me directly. But when you truly care about something that you are deeply invested in, you are going to get upset when it gets ridiculed.

That is the way fandom has always worked. If you mock Star Wars whenever there's a Star Wars geek around who has an insane collection of merchandise and has read all the books and whatnot, he is going to get insulted. Sometimes you care so deeply about something that it becomes part of your identity. This isn't about people insulting my work, or my role-play, or even myself, it's about people mocking something I care about, which I take even more personally, paradoxially as it may sound.

In a way, I wouldn't mind if people mocked the Naaruvada writings. I wouldn't care if people called my role-play bad. Hell, people can even call me a bad person or a jerk, and I wouln't mind it as much as people insulting what I love. Those kinds of attacks against my person I can handle. But when you mock something I care about, be it work of fiction, a nation, a religion, or a person, I am going to get upset.

You have the right to say anything you feel or think on these forums. But that doesn't mean that what you say is never going to upset people. And that doesn't mean I don't get the right to be upset about it and call people out for pissing me off. Freedom to post goes both ways like that. Why can't I call someone out for hurting me, but others can call me irrational and unreasonable without consequence?

Next, I just want to say that, regardless of the poster's intention, things said can have unwanted consequences. In this case, some comments made by people upset other people without meaning to do so. Words are shared in a public space, there to be read by all, and sometimes they will insult people, independant of the poster's intention. You may later comment that your words weren't intended to have that effect, which is always appreciated and welcomed, but the damage will already have been done, and saying you didn't intend a certain meaning doesn't magically reverse the meaning that the reader got from the post.

It is a pet peeve of mine whenever peoole blame the reciever of the message whenever there is a miscommunication. When there is a miscommunication, I prefer the communicator to go "Sorry, I must have not been very clear. Here, let me tell you what I really meant", over "You didn't understand it correctly. Here's what you should have gotten from my post".

Finally, I do not like being told that I shouldn't be upset whenever I am upset. To me that is being disrespectful to somebody's feelings. You don't comfort somebody that is in mourning by telling him things like "Hey, why are you so upset? Don't you know that everybody has got to die some day? Stop being so upset!"

I apologize for derailing this thread with my "hissy fits", but I hope you appreciate me taking the time and space to explain my feelings and actions in greater detail. This will be all from me in this matter, as I do not think I can explain it anymore clearly than I already have. I will just say that people ought to be more careful what they write in a public space. If you are out to insult and annoy or "troll" people, I can tolerate and even to some degree enjoy and respect that, but whenever people are insulted and subsequently treated like children because the poster's intention supposedly wasn't to inflict any negative emotion, well, that just rubs me the wrong way.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 am

As a Blood Elf i'd have to say azeroth wouldn't be in all this shit if the Draenei had been infalalalalblablable and destroyed the burning legion.

As a human i'd have to say it's be right boring if they had.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Aldric Essalus Helmfrid wrote:Oh Raenmar, you're always on such a downer Sad

This whole thread is a downer! Let's start posting about things we like, instead!

I like the Draenei for the weird and spacey stuff they bring to the table. And they are far enough removed from "society" to never bother anyone's immersion, it's not like they crashed the exodar in the middle of stormwind. It provides fun hooks, the fact that some are scared of them or deeply racist, the sense of bewilderment a common man could feel when visiting the exodar; It's all in good fun. Yay! Fun!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:41 pm

This is a news thread you big pack of noobs

here have news

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2918-Ghostcrawler-Joins-Twitter-The-Swarm-Begins-MoP-TV-Spot-Blue-Posts-Blizzard-News

GC on twitter

Also this

This is what I hate about what WoW has become.

Starcraft Beta: pro gamers, press, and shoutcasters selected to ensure the highest quality testing in creating a balanced pvp game

WoW beta: every bellend who signed up for a year subscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Perturbo wrote:WoW beta: every bellend who signed up for a year subscription
You clearly have no clue about beta testing software.

In other WoW news, did I miss someplace all the revamps of the lower level dungeons? The SM set are different and it was funny getting one-shotted at 85 because I assumed I could just blaze through with FoK. I boosted a friend in RFC earlier, it's changed an awful lot, not sure if for the better though, but a lot "prettier".

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Perturbo wrote:WoW beta: every bellend who signed up for a year subscription

And pro gamers, press people + shoutcasters selected to ensure the highest quality of testing.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:08 pm

They did? I didn't look too much into it, all I remember is Hydra ranting about it early on. If they did then fair enough.

also arli whats with all the tension baby xoxoxoxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadok Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Arli wrote:In other WoW news, did I miss someplace all the revamps of the lower level dungeons? The SM set are different and it was funny getting one-shotted at 85 because I assumed I could just blaze through with FoK. I boosted a friend in RFC earlier, it's changed an awful lot, not sure if for the better though, but a lot "prettier".

Aye, there's been a few Vanilla dungeon revamps. Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery get the Shadowfang/Deadmines treatment, with the instances available as level 90 heroics and as lower-level revamped dungeons (in SM's case, Armory and Library get fused together, as do Graveyard and Cathedral). And Ragefire Chasm's revamp is supposedly a precursor to Siege of Orgrimmar.

Considering how monotonous and painful some of the Vanilla dungeons were/still are (original Sunken Temple, Wailing Caverns, Maraudon), the revamped instances are a breath of fresh air - the new lore and enhanced mechanics are certainly welcome.

The cries about recycled content are justified whenever Blizz reuse instances without changing anything (Naxx, Onxyia, Zul'Aman), but if they stick to the standards set by old-new Zul'Gurub, Deadmines and Shadowfang, I'll be happy to see a few more 'classic' heroics (with Blackrock Spire being high on my wishlist).
Sadok
Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Wailing caverns! Oh god please fix it! xD
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next