Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

+7
Thelos
erwtenpeller
Saegwyth Dawnsinger
Rae Wulfgnar
Kristeas Sunbinder
Sanara
Thygore
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side? - Page 2 Empty Re: Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:
Drustai wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:I've always attributed the strong accents trolls display to the troll and orcish languages being vastly different, and therefore trolls would have a lot of trouble learning it properly. Whenever my troll speaks in [Troll] His speech is clear and normal English.

Yeah, I do the same thing on Dru. She has an accent when speaking Common, and leaves out joining words and such, but she speaks quite clearly when speaking in Draenei.

I don't get this ... people still have accents when they're speaking in their native language. I have a Kuwaiti accent when I speak Arabic, Drustai has an American one when she speaks English, Delidah has a Utretchtian(?) accent when he speaks Dutch so I don't get why your character would suddenly not have an accent when speaking their first language, whatever it may be ... although I suppose it's only really relevant to worgen, draenei, dwarves and trolls since they're the ones who have the most obvious accents
You can still have an accent.

But the way I see it is that my character is a troll, a witch doctor. He's not dumb. He speaks normal-ass normal Zandalari.
However when he speaks Orcish, he's got a very thick Zandalari accent because he was already old when the orcs came, and he just never learned how to speak the language properly!

The way I see it, jungle trolls speak the way they do because that is their native language shining though. When they speak their own language among each other, in my opinion, it is sensible to use accent-less english.

It just adds that little bit of extra flavor for me.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side? - Page 2 Empty Re: Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

Post by Xen-tau Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:I don't get this ... people still have accents when they're speaking in their native language. I have a Kuwaiti accent when I speak Arabic, Drustai has an American one when she speaks English, Delidah has a Utretchtian(?) accent when he speaks Dutch so I don't get why your character would suddenly not have an accent when speaking their first language, whatever it may be ... although I suppose it's only really relevant to worgen, draenei, dwarves and trolls since they're the ones who have the most obvious accents

Well, that's because there aren't many different places for a Draenei to come from. They all "come from the Exodus", and the difference is that you cannot explain an accent in text. I can imagine a Night Elf from Teldrassil speaks differently than one from Nordrassil or Ashenvale, or a human from Stormwind speaks differently than someone from Dalaran(which would have elvish influences in tongue)... but how would you write that without "sounding" like a retard. I don't write in an accent as well...

I always imagined the Blood Elf sounds like the British in Orcish. All proper and noble. They have a clear American voice, but you have to use your imagination for that(like you have to do alot in RP).

I would also like to point out that most Blood Elves most likely lack the ability to speak Common. There was a huge wall that prevented them from ever getting in touch with the humans, so most of them most likely do not even understand Common. I think only the noble Blood Elves speak Common... just like the majority of Blood Elves would only have a rough understanding of the savage language of Orcish..
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm

How a word is supposed to be pronounced is different based on region, let alone culture and across different languages. The point is this: when speaking with people of your native culture/language/region, you sound 'clear'. 'Normal'. But when speaking to people of a different culture/language/region, you would sound off, because you are speaking in a way that is entirely alien to them. This sound can be difficult to pull off in text, as Aishling says.

For me at least, it's not so much 'sound' accent that I do as it is... language structure? I guess. It's why I don't do the v's in place of w's and all that. It looks phony in writing (though I do pronounce it aloud as being 'Russian' sounding). But the differences in language cause 'grammatical' accents. Sentence structure in some languages is different in others, causing you to leave out or incorrectly conjugate words. Likewise, what is considered proper word choice in some languages, isn't in others.

Simply put... when speaking your normal language, you come across clearly. When speaking a different language, you sound off. In a completely text-based medium, this is usually best demonstrated by speaking normal in your character's native language, and having an 'accent' (either letter-based accent ("vhat", "dinnae", "'ey", "mon"), or grammar-based ("I not understand words you speak. They be unclear.") when speaking in a foreign language.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:08 pm

I would also like to point out that most Blood Elves most likely lack the ability to speak Common. There was a huge wall that prevented them from ever getting in touch with the humans, so most of them most likely do not even understand Common. I think only the noble Blood Elves speak Common... just like the majority of Blood Elves would only have a rough understanding of the savage language of Orcish..
What wall? :?
Blood elves used to be high elves, and so part of the Alliance. Not that it's an automatic reason for all of them to know Common, but definitely offers a high chance for a lot of blood elves to be able to speak it.
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet
Name: Thygore Cloudchaser
Title: Apprentice druid

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:59 pm

There is a chance that a few speak it. Most "High Elves" lived in solitude until Arthas destroyed the gates, the Orcs never got that close.

So the High Elves came in touch with common after Arthas destroyed the gate, and then they worked together with the humans... After which they got/felt betrayed... (No matter how you personally view that is not important). xD

So they haven't really gotten that much time to learn the language. Ofcourse a few will speak it, but I doubt the majority will..
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Aishling wrote:
So the High Elves came in touch with common after Arthas destroyed the gate, and then they worked together with the humans... After which they got/felt betrayed... (No matter how you personally view that is not important). xD

Didn't they already get in touch with common before that, or would you consider what the humans spoke around 3000 years ago as proto-common?

What about when the orcs came partying all the way up to Eversong, wasn't there some coop then aswell?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Saegwyth Dawnsinger Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Aishling wrote:There is a chance that a few speak it. Most "High Elves" lived in solitude until Arthas destroyed the gates, the Orcs never got that close.

So they haven't really gotten that much time to learn the language. Ofcourse a few will speak it, but I doubt the majority will..

I have to disagree. High Elves have cooperated with Humans and other races, such as the Dwarves during the First and the Second War. Given that elves reach maturity round the age of 60 (or 110, according to some sources), it would mean that many elves are able to speak Common. It might be rusty because it hasn't been used that much since the post-Third War change in politics but it's there. Also, there is Dalaran. The Kirin Tor are mainly humans and elves - they need to communicate.
Saegwyth Dawnsinger
Saegwyth Dawnsinger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Saegwyth Dawnsinger wrote:I have to disagree. High Elves have cooperated with Humans and other races, such as the Dwarves during the First and the Second War. Given that elves reach maturity round the age of 60 (or 110, according to some sources), it would mean that many elves are able to speak Common. It might be rusty because it hasn't been used that much since the post-Third War change in politics but it's there. Also, there is Dalaran. The Kirin Tor are mainly humans and elves - they need to communicate.
This.
In fact - I'm not quite sure about this one tho - but I think elves educated even humans in the ways of arcane, and humans educated them in the ways of Light?
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet
Name: Thygore Cloudchaser
Title: Apprentice druid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Thygore wrote:
Saegwyth Dawnsinger wrote:I have to disagree. High Elves have cooperated with Humans and other races, such as the Dwarves during the First and the Second War. Given that elves reach maturity round the age of 60 (or 110, according to some sources), it would mean that many elves are able to speak Common. It might be rusty because it hasn't been used that much since the post-Third War change in politics but it's there. Also, there is Dalaran. The Kirin Tor are mainly humans and elves - they need to communicate.
This.
In fact - I'm not quite sure about this one tho - but I think elves educated even humans in the ways of arcane, and humans educated them in the ways of Light?

The High Elves taught the Humans about magic so they'd fight against the trolls. But I'm not sure about the light.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2