Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

+7
Thelos
erwtenpeller
Saegwyth Dawnsinger
Rae Wulfgnar
Kristeas Sunbinder
Sanara
Thygore
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side? Empty Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

Post by Thygore Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Just wondering if there is someone who can write in Common IC and would be interested in "translating" cross-faction letters, as I have them sent by NPC goblins at the moment.
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet
Name: Thygore Cloudchaser
Title: Apprentice druid

Back to top Go down

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side? Empty Re: Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

Post by Sanara Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 am

Common is called "Common" for a reason, pretty much everyone can speak it IC. I imagine Forsaken and Blood Elves can write it just fine too.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Someone who can write in Common on Horde side? Empty Re: Someone who can write in Common on Horde side?

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:15 am

Sanara wrote:Common is called "Common" for a reason, pretty much everyone can speak it IC. I imagine Forsaken and Blood Elves can write it just fine too.

I'm sure there are a couple of goblins that'd do it for some coin.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wulfgnar Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 am

My orc can, he can write and read common better than Orcish since he was raised by a human.
Rae Wulfgnar
Rae Wulfgnar

Character sheet
Name: Sir Rae Josephas Wulfgnar
Title: Chaplain of the Disciples of Light

http://akhirah.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saegwyth Dawnsinger Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 am

Saegwyth is a scribe and she can write and speak common Smile
Saegwyth Dawnsinger
Saegwyth Dawnsinger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:39 pm

All Blood Elves and Forsaken should be able to speak and write common.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Hm... after wowpedia-ing Common, I must say, I had no idea it was so... well... common. Very Happy

But the issue is the writing part indeed. I'll keep you guys in mind, Thy needs to send more letters lately. Smile
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 pm

I know orcish is the main language of the horde because it is convenient for game mechanics, but it doesn't make a lot of thematic sense. Orcish is a language brought in from draenor when the orcs invaded; in essence it is an alien speech new to Azeroth. The trolls and Tauren would have had their time to get accustomed to it by now, but is is very plausible for a lot of blood elves and especially freshly raised forsaken to simply not know the language.

I've always attributed the strong accents trolls display to the troll and orcish languages being vastly different, and therefore trolls would have a lot of trouble learning it properly. Whenever my troll speaks in [Troll] His speech is clear and normal English.

So yeah, language in wow is a strange thing. When panda's hit, a horde panda and an alliance panda will be able to stand in the same room speaking the same language (assuming pandaren are getting their own language, i really dont know) and not understand each other.

Thank god for tongues. >_>
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I think it's mostly because of the the dumb language barrier though, not the lore.
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 pm

And when all else fails...use magic.

In Mists mages are literally getting a glyph that allows them to understand lanuages their characters wouldn't normally understand (of the same faction, of course, no cheating!), so simple language spells are probably not all too uncommon in the WoW universe.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Saegwyth Dawnsinger Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Thelos wrote:And when all else fails...use magic.

In Mists mages are literally getting a glyph that allows them to understand lanuages their characters wouldn't normally understand (of the same faction, of course, no cheating!), so simple language spells are probably not all too uncommon in the WoW universe.

(I am SO getting this glyph <3)

I suppose blood elves might know some Orcish / Amanishi, having extracted it from prisoners of war... Certain elves might have come across Orcs in Outland and so on)
Saegwyth Dawnsinger
Saegwyth Dawnsinger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Thygore wrote:I think it's mostly because of the the dumb language barrier though, not the lore.
Exactly my point.
You're starting to sound like Delidah there, Thelos. Dangerous territory Wink

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm

I actually planned to use something like that in my fanfic.

TBH it's nice to see arcane to be used for such a relatively simpler task as well, not just blowing things up. It could offer so much more!
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Thygore wrote:TBH it's nice to see arcane to be used for such a relatively simpler task as well, not just blowing things up. It could offer so much more!
Again, totally Delidah.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:
Thygore wrote:TBH it's nice to see arcane to be used for such a relatively simpler task as well, not just blowing things up. It could offer so much more!
Again, totally Delidah.
Player built stories/characters surpass Blizz built ones all too often.
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:21 pm

That's a whole other discussion Razz
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:That's a whole other discussion Razz
Naaah, as far as I'm concerned, Blizz bashing can always be on-topic. :3
But anyway.
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:29 pm

In your signature it seems you have a witch doctor. I too have one. They should meet.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:33 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:In your signature it seems you have a witch doctor. I too have one. They should meet.
They can, but I hope you haven't skipped the "previously" part... Very Happy
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:35 pm

I have not. Witch Doctors are supposed to be crazy motherfuckers.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:I've always attributed the strong accents trolls display to the troll and orcish languages being vastly different, and therefore trolls would have a lot of trouble learning it properly. Whenever my troll speaks in [Troll] His speech is clear and normal English.

Yeah, I do the same thing on Dru. She has an accent when speaking Common, and leaves out joining words and such, but she speaks quite clearly when speaking in Draenei.

Not just probably. The draenei learned to speak Common via such a method.

The very first draenei the Alliance encountered (Nemuraan, of the Auchenai) took a second to cast a language spell and voila, instant clarification.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Plot convenient magic is a wounder full thing.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:08 am

erwtenpeller wrote:I know orcish is the main language of the horde because it is convenient for game mechanics, but it doesn't make a lot of thematic sense. Orcish is a language brought in from draenor when the orcs invaded; in essence it is an alien speech new to Azeroth. The trolls and Tauren would have had their time to get accustomed to it by now, but is is very plausible for a lot of blood elves and especially freshly raised forsaken to simply not know the language.

I totally agree with you on the Blood Elf/Forsaken front, I would say most Blood Elves would speak common before orcish and probably -hated- having to learn such a savage tongue.

[quote="Saegwyth Dawnsinger"]
Thelos wrote:

I suppose blood elves might know some Orcish / Amanishi, having extracted it from prisoners of war... Certain elves might have come across Orcs in Outland and so on)

I also agree here, Orcish not so much but Troll, (All Troll is called 'Zandalari' just in case anyone was wondering) is entirely plausible. I'd say there were many bilingual elves used for negotiating ceasefires.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 am

Anaei/Magaskawee wrote:I totally agree with you on the Blood Elf/Forsaken front, I would say most Blood Elves would speak common before orcish and probably -hated- having to learn such a savage tongue.
I know mine did. If in any way possible she will avoid orcish. When I started playing her she was really bad at it too, but duties as a blood knight forced her to learn; which she did as elves would. Properly, and flawless.

Anaei/Magaskawee wrote:I also agree here, Orcish not so much but Troll, (All Troll is called 'Zandalari' just in case anyone was wondering) is entirely plausible. I'd say there were many bilingual elves used for negotiating ceasefires.
I wouldn't say many, but some. I don't think it would have been a much desired position to go negotiate with savages, and knowing said savages, the chances of someone returning home with their head still attached could very well have been quite slim.

--

Anyway, language in a magical world is a funny thing to play around with. In my very first roleplaying experience ever I walked around as a Draenei with a universal translator device around his belt. Very Happy
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am

Drustai wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:I've always attributed the strong accents trolls display to the troll and orcish languages being vastly different, and therefore trolls would have a lot of trouble learning it properly. Whenever my troll speaks in [Troll] His speech is clear and normal English.

Yeah, I do the same thing on Dru. She has an accent when speaking Common, and leaves out joining words and such, but she speaks quite clearly when speaking in Draenei.

I don't get this ... people still have accents when they're speaking in their native language. I have a Kuwaiti accent when I speak Arabic, Drustai has an American one when she speaks English, Delidah has a Utretchtian(?) accent when he speaks Dutch so I don't get why your character would suddenly not have an accent when speaking their first language, whatever it may be ... although I suppose it's only really relevant to worgen, draenei, dwarves and trolls since they're the ones who have the most obvious accents
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next