Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread)

+12
Braiden
Jeanpierre
Amaryl
Dharum
corleth
Melnerag
Ishap/Virock
Aleric
Gahalla
Lorainne/Bridlington
Geneviève
Lexgrad
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread)

Post by Morinth Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Ahahaha, Lorraine. I vaguely remember shouting BITCH after her ICly. She was simply in the wrong place at the right time. :>
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread)

Post by Ishap/Virock Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:09 pm

To be fair, you have shouted worse at Ishap
Ishap/Virock
Ishap/Virock

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm

What Alliance guilds are interested in the Famine/Revolution, may I ask?
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:50 pm

We are!
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Ishap wrote:To be fair, you have shouted worse at Ishap

You owe us a silver!
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Ebon Shroud will RP along with the plot, not in a direct way however. We do not need food or are affected by the revloution. We might decide the king is a better ally than a republic maybe. We could assist in "aquiring food" when it becomes nessessary.

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm

I'll be participating. Dru will provide some home-grown and conjured food to help against the famine, and may be a target of the revolution due to her close associations with the Seal (and assistance with their arcane harvesting operation!).

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 pm

On the issue of conjured food.

I've no idea if there is any 'lore' on this but I believe for the purpose of this event we should assume that it provides energy and fills the stomach, but provides very little real nutrition so as to render it useless as a long term alternative to conventional food.

What does everyone else think?
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I would agree only for the sake of the event. In all honesty, I know very little of this subject, and I believe many other share this thought.
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Geneviève wrote:On the issue of conjured food.

I've no idea if there is any 'lore' on this but I believe for the purpose of this event we should assume that it provides energy and fills the stomach, but provides very little real nutrition so as to render it useless as a long term alternative to conventional food.

What does everyone else think?

Way I see it, it does give some nutrition (otherwise you'd get no energy at all), but yes, it is certainly not healthy in the long run. Not to mention, I've always imagined that you can't just create it from thin air... it takes energy and materials itself which therefore makes it rather expensive in the long run.

Definitely agree with it not being a real alternative to conventional food... just something that can help supplement on a small scale.

It's more like emergency rations rather than a proper diet. Good if you're starving and desperately need something to eat and drink, but definitely not something you can or want to use long term.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Dont the belfs eat nothing else but this?
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Lexgrad/Dreth wrote:Dont the belfs eat nothing else but this?

I prefer to think not. It's way too cheap and boring if they just do conjured food.

Then again, it could be the reason they're all magically addicted.

Not to mention... from WoWpedia:

"The high elven farm helped supply food to the High Elves when they tried to fend off Arthas as he tried to attack their capital Silvermoon and Quel'thalas in Warcraft III by producing food. The Blood Elves use a farm that produces fewer units of food in the Frozen Throne Expansion Campaign in Warcraft III. It cannot be built by the "High Elf (Worker)" probably due to the limited ability of the map editor prior to the Frozen Throne Expansion. With the Frozen Throne Expansion map editor, it is possible to make additional groups with building orders."

"The blood elven farms helped supply food for Blood Elves and Kael'thas in Warcraft III Frozen Throne Human Expansion Campaign."

The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread) - Page 4 HE_farm_big The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread) - Page 4 Bloodelffarm The Failed Harvest (OOC ideas and discussion thread) - Page 4 HE_farm
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishap/Virock Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Morinth wrote:You owe us a silver!

Isn't it two by now?
Ishap/Virock
Ishap/Virock

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Ishap wrote:
Morinth wrote:You owe us a silver!

Isn't it two by now?

Three actually. XD
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:06 pm

I vote we eat chickenstein
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:51 am

On the issue of magically conjured food, I'm not sure what to think actually. I largely agree with Drustai on principle, magically infused food that neither taste proper or is very healthy in the long run (junk food!).

But the spell's name is also conjure food. Not "create" food. Which suggests it's actual food coming from somewhere. But I'm not sure where and how. So I guess I'll go with Drustai's interpretation.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 am

Gahalla wrote:On the issue of magically conjured food, I'm not sure what to think actually. I largely agree with Drustai on principle, magically infused food that neither taste proper or is very healthy in the long run (junk food!).

But the spell's name is also conjure food. Not "create" food. Which suggests it's actual food coming from somewhere. But I'm not sure where and how. So I guess I'll go with Drustai's interpretation.

It does come from somewhere, yes. But that somewhere is not 'pre-prepared' food. You take raw energy from elsewhere and then form it into the desired object. My favorite metaphor for Conjuration is that it is like a Star Trek replicator. You have to get some kind of formless matter from somewhere beforehand, which you then 'channel' with the replicator and form into the desired object. You still need to actually have that formless matter first before you can create anything. The fact that Star Trek had replicators did not mean they didn't have any food problems. They needed to get raw energy to feed the replicators for them to work... and that energy is frequently more expensive than normal food (hence 'replicator rations'). In Star Trek Voyager, they actually had to supplement the replicators with manual cooking, because they had to conserve the energy for other essentials due to not being able to easily replenish the energy. The cooking was much more efficient and less expensive than using the energy on food.

Conjuration works the same way... you gather elemental energies from elsewhere (breaking down reagents and materials, drawing energy from your own soul/the ley lines/the elemental planes, etc), and then assemble it on the spot into the object you are Conjuring. But of course because that is not that matter's 'natural' form, it is very unstable and breaks down easily (limited duration). And because even the most intelligent Conjurer doesn't know every little detail about something's cosmic makeup, it's never going to truly be the same as a real object--and thus likely weaker/less filling. This also explains why you can't just conjure gold and be super rich. Conjuration is great for getting a needed thing in a hurry/emergencies, but actual non-magical methods should always be more efficient/long-lasting.

"What is known is that these [water] elementals differ from those that serve the Old Gods in that they are created from actual Azerothian water; the Archmage collects all water particles within an area, concentrates it, then animates the simulacrum. Most Dalaran Archmagi and Kul Tiras Grand Wizards are able to do this."
-WoWpedia, on conjuring water elementals

"The energy of a creation spell may again be due to the dimensional nature of conjuration magic. Conjuring a stone wall may pull the material for its construction from the plane of Earth. Attacking an opponent with a bolt of hissing acid may draw that blast from the motile depths of elemental Water. If this is the case, perhaps this facet of the conjuration school does not so much create as it does reshape summoned matter and energy into whatever the caster wishes."
-Encyclopedia Arcane: Conjuration - By Bell, Book, and Candle (a guide to Conjuration designed for any D20 3.5-based system, of which the WoW RPG books were).

tl;dr: Conjuration summons raw materials and then creates the desired object on the spot.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:50 am

Hmmm... interesting. Sounds good to me.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Bump
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:39 am

You should have some guys collect trash and have a shady mage "reshape" it into food. Shady because sometimes, the reshaping reverts.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4