Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IC Quests - Discussion thread

3 posters

Go down

IC Quests - Discussion thread Empty IC Quests - Discussion thread

Post by Vaell Sat May 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Intro:
I have only recently got my first taste of doing some DM work in an event. It was brief but I'm confident I can create some pretty fun and interesting stories through it. I enjoy RPing expendable characters and I'm somewhat of an altaholic.

What is this?
This idea is to create IC events which are open to people to apply to take part in. It is almost like a quest hub for role-players. I could post up about some villain who is off in Northrend burning sheep at the strike of midnight, explain what the event will be like and then allow people to say they want in. These won't be your substandard events because they'll usually involve expendable characters or characters built specifically for these events. For example, I might make an ongoing warlock who - through a series of events - must be brought down. Some of the events will be more pressed towards certain guild types.

Why do you think this is a good idea?
It promotes role-play! I think it'll be a bit of fun and add some variety to the RP. I want to take some aspects of WoW itself and turn them into a character building adventure. You go on a mission that you've been tracking for a few months, doing each of the events for it when they get posted up here, you beat the baddie and you might find a special artifact that improves your character or allows you to go off into your own direction away from these events (e.g. an Old God device!) I don't plan on having these events give characters 500gold or allow them to do impossible feats. Picture it more like a step down from your standard questing - you're not one of those top 25 raiders, but you can still do your part.

Isn't this metagaming?
I only really use the term metagaming when there are debenefits to the scenario. This really doesn't have many. The only debenefit might be that an event is full and you can't apply or it doesn't take your fancy. It's more of a time killer and allows you to mingle with other RPers that you might not normally mingle with.

What kind of events can I expect from it?
Just a few examples
  • Bounty Hunting
  • Call to Arms against opposing faction
  • Artifact/Treasure Hunt
  • Exploration
  • NPC based Tournaments

These are just a few off the top of my head! Expect anything and everything.

Can I put up events?
Of course! When I actually create the IC section, people will be welcomed to do so. I'm quite busy IRL so I can't be totally consistent so I'd rely on others making quests to keep it active. Try to avoid putting up your own, for example 'Ballroom event'. These are more DM events or something similar that follows its own unique/side story.

What relevance will it have to my general role-play?
As much as you will allow it to. You can make new characters for it which you could kill off any time you like, you could find items along the way or generally just talk about experiences IC. Maybe you've managed to learn a new spell with your fight with John Doe.

Example Template
Before you read it, bare in mind that this is just an example of how I might do an event. You can go into as much detail OOCly/ICly as you wish. You can even keep it as brief as a simple wanted poster and who to contact to begin! There is no set template as of yet.
Spoiler:

Conclusion:
This is open to criticism hence why I'm making this thread for it but if anyone wants to get involved, feel free. I'll still be making the section as I know of a few people that would be keen for it. I am intending on making the IC thread sometime in the next couple of weeks but thought it best to open it up to a discussion first to avoid that thread being spammed.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

IC Quests - Discussion thread Empty Re: IC Quests - Discussion thread

Post by Zalissa Sat May 11, 2013 9:50 pm

bump
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet