Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood mage - requiring details

+7
Zhakiri
Lexgrad
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Dréfurion
Gesh
Kristeas Sunbinder
Skarain
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Blood mage - requiring details - Page 2 Empty Re: Blood mage - requiring details

Post by Skarain Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks for everyone for this information *hugs*
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Blood mage - requiring details - Page 2 Empty Re: Blood mage - requiring details

Post by Rmuffn Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Nygarth wrote:
Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:There's a thread on Blood Magic in "The Infirmary" in the group forums.

That's my creation, yes. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Me and Nygarth here has for a long time been looking at the 'Blood Magic' trying to establish what it is and can do, be capable of doing, within "friendly" as well as "Hostile" uses.

We've of course mainly been tossing about ideas, since we can never claim what isn't actually there to be actual lore, but Blizzard is slim on their blood magic.

Even so, we've spoken of it much and can probably help you some if need be. Smile
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 am

In my humble opinion, blood magic is stigmatised for two reasons:

1) Because of the shedding of blood (which is never a safe thing). To draw blood from yourself or others is a frightening thing. It's no the matter of the blood itself such as the act of shedding it. You have to hurt something or someone to draw your power, and I sincerely a doubt a few drops of it would help much.
When a person donates blood about 500 mL is taken, this is the maximal safe amount of blood to draw. Enough to make a lot of people feel dizzy, nauseus or even faint due to the blood pressure falling (and indeed, you do take about 10 % of the blood in the body). The difference here is that in modern times we have vacuum draw, syringes and anti-coagulant coated narrow tubing controlling the flow. In the wow era, the only way to get that much blood is to make a deep cut.
If much blood is necessary, you essentially have to take the victim with you. And if you need lots of power... chances are you'll kill them (remember, you don't even have to take all of the blood. Just drawing 1,5 L could be enough to kill).

2) Because it seems to me that blood magic is the primary tool of the trade of Warlocks and Necromancers. Warlocks are all about secret names, control, health and demon blood. It is even suggested that drinking specially prepared demons blood is the traditional introduction to becoming a warlock (immeditatly initiating the fel addiction).
In game there's really only two blood magic spells (exceoting the death knights) I can think of: Blood bolt. And Blood Pact. The former from blood mages, the latter from imps.
In addition, all the really famous and powerful blood mages, most notably Kael'Thas, are also warlocks.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:57 am

*pokes* I've used a http://www.wowhead.com/item=37567#comments as syringes before and there's Seal of Blood still ingame for npc's aswell. One of them uses it in combination with "Judgement of Blood".
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 am

Isn't Seal of Blood less blood magic and more a symbolic technique used by the Blood Knights (same applies to judgement of blood)?

And indeed, there are syringes. My point was that the drawing of blood for the purposes of donation is a very major procedure that requires a lot of tools to do properly. In order to draw the same amount of blood in normal blood samples you have to use about 50 - 100 tubes.
The reason drawing lots and lots of blood is difficult is that it congeals and quickly. Even with a needle it's actually very difficult to draw more than seven tubes from the same arm. The maximum I've pulled off is nine, but that patient was taking heparin regularly. After that the vein sort of starts to close up and block access.
When donating blood, you use larger needles and often use stronger pressure (often with the help of a machine) to collect the correct amount. I don't see the wow era pulling that amount of blood off safely.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 am

I tend to do fire cupping (or more specifically, wet cupping) for drawing blood rather than syringes. Feels more fantasy to me.

Last edited by Drustai on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:25 am

Gahalla wrote:Isn't Seal of Blood less blood magic and more a symbolic technique used by the Blood Knights (same applies to judgement of blood)?

The "spill blood to get an effect" would be much more clear in Seal of Blood than Bloodbolt and Blood Pact. Seal of Blood uses your own blood and significantly more than Blood Pact, and I imagine Bloodbolt being quite a volume of blood, but it doesn't seem to hurt the caster either.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:27 am

Indeed, though in principle the technique is the same as a syringe. You draw the blood out by creating a low pressure so the blood flows out on it's own. Either by vacuum (modern tubes), mechanical force (old syringes) or through heating air (firecupping).

In either case, you'll only draw out as much blood as a regular nosebleed (you can draw more with syringes/tubes mind).

The "spill blood to get an effect" would be much more clear in Seal of Blood than Bloodbolt and Blood Pact. Seal of Blood uses your own blood and significantly more than Blood Pact, and I imagine Bloodbolt being quite a volume of blood, but it doesn't seem to hurt the caster either.
Huh, didn't know that. Very well... it sounds very much like blood magic.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:32 am

Well, we used to burn churches and kill our own so noobs could practice rezzing on them, the good old days before Liadrin became a hippy.

>.> If we still had Seal of Blood for players, i'd totaly use that for roleplaying.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:57 am

In terms of getting the Blood out of the willing or unwilling helper, Orth tends to just make a cut that just breaks the natural barrier of defence. The skin. That is a powerful ritualistic act for him, wholly necessary, but the cut itself more symbolic than life threatening. Then it's through that cut that the Blood can be magically taken, absorbed into the Bloodmage directly, or stored elsewhere using simple manipulation of the liquid, something any Arcanist could do frankly. Then it becomes a matter of life and death, depending on how much you take/ absorb. The act of which becomes highly addictive, as any empowering magic, thus more dangerous depending on the willpower of the caster.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:23 am

Nygarth wrote:In terms of getting the Blood out of the willing or unwilling helper, Orth tends to just make a cut that just breaks the natural barrier of defence. The skin. That is a powerful ritualistic act for him, wholly necessary, but the cut itself more symbolic than life threatening. Then it's through that cut that the Blood can be magically taken, absorbed into the Bloodmage directly, or stored elsewhere using simple manipulation of the liquid, something any Arcanist could do frankly. Then it becomes a matter of life and death, depending on how much you take/ absorb. The act of which becomes highly addictive, as any empowering magic, thus more dangerous depending on the willpower of the caster.

I love you
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2