Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mists of Pandaria

+79
Gogol
Iriel Silversong
Baròth / Olian
Unathi
Amaryl
Zhakiri
Dharum
Mikasa
itsy
Yarnaat
Dunderholm of Ambermill
Morgeth
Xen-tau
Skarain
Haen Strongwind
Hermie
Teebo
Althaløs
Unknown
Geldar
Velynia
Zouyo
Raelan
Vaell
Sullee Swiftspeech
Lini
Ave/Sariella
Borian
Lorainne/Bridlington
Seranita
erwtenpeller
Coppersocket
Aluvielle
Ixirar
Azmariel
Emrys
Braiden
Morgaan
Lyniath
Lexgrad
Shaelyssa
Morinth
Ralegh
The Z
Melnerag
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Jomir
Aendiv
Malathir
Krogon Devilstep
Gilraen
Aleric
Magaskawee/Anaei
Kittrina
Marion Valmere
Ataris
Morty
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Feydor
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Kristeas Sunbinder
The Misty Beast
Gesh
Ron Sexton
Jeanpierre
Frostfeather
Thelos
Nithel
Muzjhath
Flo
Eloresh
Dréfurion
Drazial
Timna
Lavian
Sanara
Drustai
Rmuffn
Kozgugore Feraleye
83 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Mists of Pandaria - Page 30 Empty Re: Mists of Pandaria

Post by Muzjhath Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 am

Nah, they are all to "awesome".
They'll just end up all having sex in one big steamy pile of tentacles.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:15 am

Muzjhath wrote:Nah, they are all to "awesome".
They'll just end up all having sex in one big steamy pile of tentacles.

Spoiler:
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 am

Muzjhath wrote:I'm gonna go with a far simpler solution.

Why, everything.
-Because Chris Metzen is a fucking bad writer. Yes, for the type of games they were some of the Warcraft games have great plots. But many of the characters are lacking and the details are often "wut". But how lacking he really is comes forward so, so, much in WoW.

Occam's Razor applied.

That would be the meta razor, but yes, I agree fully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 am

Comparing the story and plots in an MMO to literature is absolutely ludicrous

Writing for a videogame is different from writing a novel in many important ways.

As Drustai once pointed out, if any thing, Metzen has made the mistake of trying too hard to write as if he were writing a novel by overemphasizing the "main characters". That entire notion is bullshit when you're writing for an MMO, since the player character is supposed to be the protagonist. If anything, we´ll want shallower characters, walking archetypes we can release our imagination on.

Also, Metzen is not the sole writer of WoW. The franchise of Warcraft has literally dozens of writers contributing.

Really, all of this complaining about WoW´s writing and Metzen in particular is just really confusing to me. You lot do realise that the story and so called plots are just vehicles to deliver new gameplay experiences, and not the other way around, right? We're not playing trough Harry Potter here, so stop pretending you are and demanding some ethereal grand "Character depth" from characters you dont even give a shit about while playing trough the game. It's only when you distance yourself and start reflecting from your armchair that you come up with these critisisms, anyway. You're roleplayers for pete's sake, you should know this better than anyone - That the so called characters of WoW lore are largely irrelevant, or at least pale in importance to your own character.

I'm sorry if I seem to go off on a tangent but all this smug-armchair talk about how piss poor WoW writing is really rubs me the wrong way. It comes across as both extremely arrogant and misinformed at the same time to me.

You're applying standards of "Quality writing" you derived from other media, mostly literature, and applying it to something else entirely where it may not be at all applicable. No, WoW is not Harry Potter or Lords of the Rings. But that's a good thing. The irony is that in oblidging to your demands, the writers would actually make the writing worse as the player's importance is even more marginalized to make way for the soap opera that is supposed to increase the character depth, or something. Again, this isn't a novel. It's an MMO.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 am

Well, all game writing should be there to support the game mechanics more than anything else.
But WoW seriously left that years ago.

Thus, I complain!

Also, I actually aprove of strong NPC in an MMO. Because I feel that the player characters shouldn't be the end all top all strongest heroes in the world. They should just be stronger than avarage people while the real heroes are fantastic. Just not... on the WoW level, it's the other extreme.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:50 am

When I am playing World of Warcraft, or any other MMO, I dont want to feel as if I am just a mere footsoldier, or a mere pawn in some game that is much greater than I. This is what left me feeling so hollow in Catacalysm in particular. It felt like the Dragon Aspects, Thrall, and Deathwing were all duking it out and were just using me as a courier or a pawn. It disconnected me almost completely and I felt no emotional resonance whatsoever when I finally struck down Deathwing - Indeed, I didn't feel as if I did, but as if it was all those superpowered NPCs that did. The invisible hand that guided my actions was so visible that it might as well have done the punching itself.

This is one of the things that has gotten me excited about Mists of Pandaria. I sincerely hope that they will just allow me to explore these new lands with my character and a group of adventurers, rather than being ordered around all the time by some dickhead NPCs I dont give a shit about. This is what was great about the original WoW - You were an explorer, an adventurer, not a pawn in some game of chess in which you can only see the square directly ahead.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am

Thelos wrote:Comparing the story and plots in an MMO to literature is absolutely ludicrous

Writing for a videogame is different from writing a novel in many important ways.

As Drustai once pointed out, if any thing, Metzen has made the mistake of trying too hard to write as if he were writing a novel by overemphasizing the "main characters". That entire notion is bullshit when you're writing for an MMO, since the player character is supposed to be the protagonist. If anything, we´ll want shallower characters, walking archetypes we can release our imagination on.

Also, Metzen is not the sole writer of WoW. The franchise of Warcraft has literally dozens of writers contributing.

Really, all of this complaining about WoW´s writing and Metzen in particular is just really confusing to me. You lot do realise that the story and so called plots are just vehicles to deliver new gameplay experiences, and not the other way around, right? We're not playing trough Harry Potter here, so stop pretending you are and demanding some ethereal grand "Character depth" from characters you dont even give a shit about while playing trough the game. It's only when you distance yourself and start reflecting from your armchair that you come up with these critisisms, anyway. You're roleplayers for pete's sake, you should know this better than anyone - That the so called characters of WoW lore are largely irrelevant, or at least pale in importance to your own character.

I'm sorry if I seem to go off on a tangent but all this smug-armchair talk about how piss poor WoW writing is really rubs me the wrong way. It comes across as both extremely arrogant and misinformed at the same time to me.

You're applying standards of "Quality writing" you derived from other media, mostly literature, and applying it to something else entirely where it may not be at all applicable. No, WoW is not Harry Potter or Lords of the Rings. But that's a good thing. The irony is that in oblidging to your demands, the writers would actually make the writing worse as the player's importance is even more marginalized to make way for the soap opera that is supposed to increase the character depth, or something. Again, this isn't a novel. It's an MMO.

And all this blind fanboy smugness rubs me the wrong way (oh look, I can make strawmans too!)

Warcraft writing is shit. Warcraft lore is shit. Wow writing is shit. Wow lore is shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:01 pm

I'd say Original WoW did it right. You were an adventurer. You were a stronger than avarage person out to see the world.
Then I'd say that (this maybe applied in Naxx already) in TBC, and wrath at least until ICC it... became far to much "YOU ARE THE HERO, THEY SHALL BOW DOWN BEFORE YOU!"
Which leads to special snowflakes.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Cirena wrote:
Warcraft writing is shit. Warcraft lore is shit. Wow writing is shit. Wow lore is shit.

Just switch George Lucas with Metzen and you're all set.

But whatever, this is getting venomous, so I'll just withdraw (I probably carry the most venom, because yes, I'm a fundementalist fanboy and will defend my gods to the death, no irony there) I just wanted to say I find this whole inflated hatred to be silly and stupid, and the argueing about it is even more so.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Cirenah wrote:
Thelos wrote:Comparing the story and plots in an MMO to literature is absolutely ludicrous

And all this blind fanboy smugness rubs me the wrong way (oh look, I can make strawmans too!)

So...why do you RP then on WoW since you consider it all to be shit?
Zouyo
Zouyo

Character sheet
Name: Grek'thar Earthstorm
Title: Crazy orc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Grek'thar/Takarius wrote:
So...why do you RP then on WoW since you consider it all to be shit?

I happen to like the game for now, and I happen to like rp.
But yes, I have considered transferring to some normal server and go bunnyjump with the rest of them, or just "retire" completely into pve, like most of the old rp'ers from DB.

Just switch George Lucas with Metzen and you're all set.

Yes, that's an apt comparision. Both the warcraft and star wars settings are a mile wide but an inch thick, and are made to appeal to the lowest denominator.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Everyone chill the fuck out and listen to:

Wouldn't want to spawn Sha with your negative emotions would you now?!

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:48 pm

I think my point was lost. What I was meaning one cannot base an expansion on an" early" leven instance. And on a side note. Thelos. Your point thow you took to the extreem. I agree. In cata. I as a player felt nothing more than a pawn. I did not like it
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Better lighting Very Happy
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:42 pm

About time!
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:37 pm

I was really sceptic about MoP initially, but oh my god I can't wait for it now. The only downside is it'll take an eternity for me to level all my four current 85s to 90 AND then get myself to level a monk too. However, I have a feeling that leveling through pandaria repeatedly will be nowhere as bad as leveling through Cata.. (I absolutely loved leveling Ixirar to 85, but oh my god I hated it in Kavalis/Faelan/Radvor, and I'm gonna hate it on my mage and monk too, and warr/lock if I decide to unlock their XP and level past 70 on them too)

Also, if that RFC revamp is to be taken as a hint that the "Bad stuff below orgrimmar" and "Garrosh corrupted" thing is really re-addiction to Fel Blood instead of Old Gods, I'm gonna say I like that. I always loved the Fel Horde and I was really bummed to realise that after Outland there was really not a lot of chance to fight them anymore. That, and I love the looks of Orgrimmar, it's gonna feel really great to siege it in a blizzard-quality raid dungeon (I happen to think very highly of Blizzard's abilities in designing these kinds of things, dull as ToC and stuff may be)

Oh, and, does anybody else think the Mogu looks absolutely bitching?! Very Happy I'm amazed, I'm yet to see an NPC race in Pandaria that didn't make me go "OMG I WANT TO PLAY THAT!"
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:40 pm

I wonder if Garrosh' corruption and raid in the end of MoP could mean a Burning Legion expansion afterwards.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Last edited by Raelan/Relithien on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:02 pm

The music is.. Actually amazing. OM. EM. GEE.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Okay...so that's how the Alliance get into Pandaria...now what about the Horde?

http://deazeroth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/mists-of-pandaria-beta-new-weapon.html

Here's some views of the weapons in MoP Smile
Zouyo
Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Zouyo
Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Weapon and armour models (and in some cases their physics) are super amazing.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Thunder Bluff: 2063 Arrears
Undercity: 5022 Arrears
Silvermoon: Over 9000 Arrears

What is with all that debt?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:

Thunder Bluff: 2063 Arrears
Undercity: 5022 Arrears
Silvermoon: Over 9000 Arrears

What is with all that debt?

Sounds like you've gotten yourself knee deep in troublesome debts, pointy ear.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:21 pm

My hatred for Garrosh increases with everything I see. I was very disappointed when I found out he was being put in charge after WotLK, and I hated him after I spent most of my Outland levels trying to get him to stop feeling so fucking sorry for himself and get off his arse. Shouldn't have done that, he was so much more intelligent before he left Outland.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next