Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I hate Role-play.

+24
Cathee Norris
Ephitos / Amarachus
Cyaska
Feydor
Gunnell
Torukan
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Antistia
Cadoc
Muzjhath
itsy
Shaelyssa
Kristeas Sunbinder
Mordazan
Chase - Esou
Gogol
Meralynn / Ashla
Krogon Devilstep
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Jeanpierre
Nathiniós
Elloa
Braiden
Melnerag
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why I hate Role-play. - Page 2 Empty Re: Why I hate Role-play.

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:47 am

I find it quite sad that those who are working to make roleplay on Defias more enjoyable, are registered on this forum or at least browse some form of community site/guild site. Those who are at the roots of making RP... "Less than enjoyable," probably don't have any idea that these forums exist. That's what I've encountered on the server, at least.

P.S - Not saying that people who don't sign up on the forums are bad though, incase this comes across as me thinking of them as such.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 am

Medion wrote:I find it quite sad that those who are working to make roleplay on Defias more enjoyable, are registered on this forum or at least browse some form of community site/guild site. Those who are at the roots of making RP... "Less than enjoyable," probably don't have any idea that these forums exist. That's what I've encountered on the server, at least.

P.S - Not saying that people who don't sign up on the forums are bad though, incase this comes across as me thinking of them as such.

What? You're saddened that people who wish to make roleplay more enjoyable are on these forums and people who want to ruin RP aren't?

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Torukan wrote:
Medion wrote:I find it quite sad that those who are working to make roleplay on Defias more enjoyable, are registered on this forum or at least browse some form of community site/guild site. Those who are at the roots of making RP... "Less than enjoyable," probably don't have any idea that these forums exist. That's what I've encountered on the server, at least.

What? You're saddened that people who wish to make roleplay more enjoyable are on these forums and people who want to ruin RP aren't?

No, no, not ruin. Just players who are either not as well versed in how to conduct some forms of roleplay, or just don't want to listen. Err, I meant that you tend to get the ones who are at the center of "some" problems listed in this topic who don't read the forums and it can be a little repetetive to have to explain the same thing over and over.

I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't seem to explain it properly. Help? D:
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Medion wrote:
Torukan wrote:

No, no, not ruin. Just players who are either not as well versed in how to conduct some forms of roleplay, or just don't want to listen. Err, I meant that you tend to get the ones who are at the center of "some" problems listed in this topic who don't read the forums and it can be a little repetetive to have to explain the same thing over and over.

I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't seem to explain it properly. Help? D:

There aren't enough noobs/newbs on this forum who can be educated. Correct?

I'd identify that as one of the main drawbacks of this forum for the community, amongst a few others.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:The life expectancy for military organisations would be much lower then ._.

If Stormwind's Armed Forces are any indication, considering every soldier seems to run around in more golden armour than.. well, I lack a metaphor, you be suprised half of the Army weren't discharged for becoming blind. Not to mention all of that long, blonde, hair getting in their eyes whilst trying to fight..

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:01 pm

That's not a metaphor, that's a simile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:06 pm

It's neither a metaphor nor a simile actually so stop trying to act smart
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:17 pm

He wanted to use "than" so surely it's a simile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:24 pm

wupsidaisies ... turns out stupid Mr Me shouldnt be the one who shouldnt try to act smart haha ;). Well done, Pertubo
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:36 pm

who cares
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Why I hate roleplay: People think it's okay to in character have tamed black and twilight drakes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadoc Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Jeanpierre wrote:
Cadoc wrote:a guy I played for some 2 years

If we are to keep our characters so killable as others would like it, they wouldn't even last 2 years Wink

Of course we have to balance the two extremes ;P. Often taking a wound, getting captured or simply admitting defeat (a rare, rare occurence) would do just as well.
Cadoc
Cadoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Cadoc wrote: simply admitting defeat (a rare, rare occurence) would do just as well.

As a married Belf, I disagree.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadoc Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:
Cadoc wrote: simply admitting defeat (a rare, rare occurence) would do just as well.

As a married Belf, I disagree.

That's an obvious exception!
Cadoc
Cadoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:47 pm

About the defeat question, I think that's one of my main attractions to political RP and the sort. Defeat can have status consequences for your character but likely not death. It means that you'll get more dynamic RP because the only thing people can lose are positions or face. Of course, sometimes a lot is at stake but still.

Not that I'm too attached to my characters or whatever, mind you. But the fact that political RP tends to not involve death makes it more interesting due to people not really standing to lose their character and thus being willing to accept more.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Perturbo wrote:Why I hate roleplay: People think it's okay to in character have tamed black and twilight drakes.

But how else do I explain my Young Tauren who has never been to anywhere in Outland except Nagrand to have a vast array of Nether-flying creatures at his disposal other than to conjure bullshit?

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:56 pm

This thread is interesting, but it does show me that many people on this realm (not talking about people on this forum) are a little on the.....slow side, even though they have had years of RP experience.

I joined this realm in february completely new to roleplaying, and it didn't take long for various guilds (Disciples of Light, Second Gurubashi Empire) to teach me about general RP skills, Alliance RP and Horde RP; So that means I've been here for 10 months, and through different scenarios, through different guilds, I have accepted defeat more than I have triumph, because I think about what the other person looking at that screen will feel if I do some intracit bullshit to escape punishment/justice for what I did, whether it was rob them as a criminal of The Forlorn Cartel but caught by people passing by/guards to being a cultist in The Dark Sphere, caught in the act by soldiers of the light, facing imprisonment, and also being killed.

The fact is, these people really need to get a grip and face the music, because it's not our job to babysit them and it sure as hell isn't our responsibility to put up with them if time after time after time they do this sort of charade; just like the trial with that Crimson Flame guy, who managed to escape his prison about four times, people just got fed up and didn't bother anymore, because that's the only reponse we can do that will keep us satisfied with our roleplaying in the future.

Ignore those who cannot face consequence, for they will not learn nor will they wish to learn.

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 am

Torukan wrote:

Ignore those who cannot face consequence, for they will not learn nor will they wish to learn.

This, Torukan, is where I disagree with you beyond belief. Social ostracism is not the answer, it never will be. All it does is isolate a single player, or a single guild from the rest of the community. It leads to nothing but disaster. There will be people choosing your side, there will be people choosing his side in such a dispute.
That means that drama is easier to come by as there are already minor conflicts around.

What ignoring will bring is a divided community, both IC and OOC. IC because you can't interact and OOC because it takes very little for the whole thing to grow exponentially into some divine bullshit. Members of our RP community, and GMs even more, have a duty to keep the community together, no matter what. This means avoiding drama and the like. It means you try to avoid polarizing actions like this and it sure as hell means you avoid ignoring someone through the ignore function, don't even get me started on ignoring a whole guild. Worse yet: A GM ordering his members to ignore person A or guild B.

There is also the fact that people change, when you ignore them, you won't see this. I can point to a few of the better RPers I know who started out as lollers in SMC, hell, I can point to myself. I was a loller in SMC. I was willing to learn from the start though, and through it I improved as an RPer. Sure, some people aren't willing to learn, but later on they might and if you ignore them, well, how are you going to notice they're now willing to learn?

Not to mention the fact that the ignore function is in essence an OOC mechanic which influences IC. Why do this? You shouldn't let OOC mechanics influence IC. That's never a good thing, whether you ignore a person or you use the floating letters above his head to immediately know who someone is IC (as in your character knowing who that person is IC). Both are bad and should not be done.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Antistia wrote:
Torukan wrote:

What ignoring will bring is a divided community, both IC and OOC. IC because you can't interact and OOC because it takes very little for the whole thing to grow exponentially into some divine bullshit. Members of our RP community, and GMs even more, have a duty to keep the community together, no matter what. This means avoiding drama and the like. It means you try to avoid polarizing actions like this and it sure as hell means you avoid ignoring someone through the ignore function, don't even get me started on ignoring a whole guild. Worse yet: A GM ordering his members to ignore person A or guild B.

I'll agree with you, it probably wasn't the right response by myself, I think I got a bit carried away with ranting.

What I meant by the above quote was to be linked to my example about The Crimson Flame, in which those who time and time again piss off the RP community because of their behaviour should be inevitably ignored; those who are new to RP or have only had this problem a few times, an example may be being: A guildless RPer decides to rob a woman, whom you catch in the act; he does some random emote fight/meta game stuff that causes him to escape in a ridiculous manner. I wouldn't say ignore this guy, he may be new to RP, he may not be used to criminal RP, he may not even be used to having his character lose/face consequence and may learn from his mistake or if you give him some tips he can improve his RP.

But I'm talking about, as I pointed out, members of guilds such as The Crimson Flame, who cause such contraversey, who piss off so many RPers on Defias and act idiotically both IC and OOC (lol banned from SW, piss off Dorfz in Ironforge) and, like the topic here, always decide to escape consequence (http://www.defiasrp.com/t2227-trial-of-the-crimson-leader-barean-blackthorn) should be ignored for the benefit of the community, because all it does is cause drama like this (http://www.defiasrp.com/t1218p105-a-chapter-of-holy-anethion-on-trial?highlight=chapter).

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:50 pm

What I meant by the above quote was to be linked to my example about The Crimson Flame, in which those who time and time again piss off the RP community because of their behaviour should be inevitably ignored; those who are new to RP or have only had this problem a few times, an example may be being: A guildless RPer decides to rob a woman, whom you catch in the act; he does some random emote fight/meta game stuff that causes him to escape in a ridiculous manner. I wouldn't say ignore this guy, he may be new to RP, he may not be used to criminal RP, he may not even be used to having his character lose/face consequence and may learn from his mistake or if you give him some tips he can improve his RP.

While I agree with the latter example of the guildless RPer, I disagree fully with the former example of The Crimson Flame. Yes, I'll admit they may piss off the RP community time and time again. Yes, they may manage to escape out of the most ridiculous of places. But these IC actions (strange as they may be) should not lead to someone, no, anyone, using the ignore function on them. What this provides no way back. No point of return. You'll have them isolated for the rest of their stay on DB. Let's work by an example here: Person A joins Guild B, A learns how to RP wrongly thanks to guild B. A gets ignored by the community at large. A leaves guild B and starts to improve. How are you going to know he has improved if he's been ignored by the community at large? The only thing this does is keep A out of the community and the community lacking in a new, potentially good, RPer. All because he at one point got wrongly instructed by guild B.

Sure, not all of the community may ignore this person. But let's be honest here, the person saying he has changed has to be on very, very good terms with you (not you specifically, Torukan) before you give person A from the previous example the benefit of the doubt. Sure this does not apply to everyone but still I think it applies to a lot of people.

Now then, as I already outlined before, I don't think this is in the best interest of the community. It will split a group of RPers off from the community. There will always be people disagreeing with them being ignored and it will, even subconsciously, cause divides which can explode into some divine drama if something serious comes along. It will polarize the community. I speak from experience, I've seen this happen as a neutral observer on a small to medium scale. Almost nothing is worth the price of (potentially) polarizing our community and dividing our community. We should take extreme care to keep that from happening, GMs even more so (again, not specifically aimed at you, Torukan, but that's a general comment.).

In short: Ignoring people because they're a pain isn't worth the potential consequences.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Gunnell wrote:
Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:The life expectancy for military organisations would be much lower then ._.

If Stormwind's Armed Forces are any indication, considering every soldier seems to run around in more golden armour than.. well, I lack a metaphor, you be suprised half of the Army weren't discharged for becoming blind. Not to mention all of that long, blonde, hair getting in their eyes whilst trying to fight..

lets not forget the brutal cleavings induced by said impractical shiny gold layers.

Gnhhh... cleavings... *dribble*
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyaska Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm

I think it's the line between "Blocking out until they get better if they refuse our help" and "Full blown ignoring" that we've come to and crossed on many occasions. The first option is almost always superior to the second.
Cyaska
Cyaska

Character sheet
Name: Syenna Celeste (EVE)
Title: (NA NA NA NA NA!) Space Pirate!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ephitos / Amarachus Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:49 am

Alright, I can explain some of those events about Barean and the Flame and in-fact answer a few questions.
First of all, conflicting RP does effect everybody and everything, the first breakout of Barean was orchestrated by myself on Ephitos and some members from the Brotherhood, this developed the stories of most legitimate characters in Stormwind as it placed Ephitos and death knights on the "naughty list".

Spyre who assisted in the breakout was also effected, seeing as he had actually fought against Ephitos he welcomed him into Ironforge and even protected him against Stormwind authorities, he also lost his rank.

What I'm trying to say is in general, this created a whole new path for RP to take, wouldn't it have been boring if Barean was executed and that was that?

It was good how Whitker busted him out, Ephitos busted him out. He got away, the authorities got pissed, the Stormwind Council got pissed, it created IC drama, and so far from what I'v seen, IC drama creates the tension, and the exciting RP alot of people seem to be interested in, (or just me) Razz.
That's my take on things.
Ephitos / Amarachus
Ephitos / Amarachus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:03 am

Drama just for the sake of drama isn't good, it just became predictable and repetitive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ephitos / Amarachus Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:10 am

Really depends on how this drama is carried out by fellow people tbh
Ephitos / Amarachus
Ephitos / Amarachus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next