Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World-pvp: we must have fun!

+27
Gallandria
Gogol
Mikasa
Lavian
Kozgugore Feraleye
Lilenath/Ilynaeth
Melnerag
Kristeas Sunbinder
Antistia
Shaelyssa
Maurudin
Sanara
Rargnasha
Nassulra / Dobkins
Thenkar
Dorik Thunderbelly
Magaskawee/Anaei
Elízabéth Moren
Koroko
Sinnadrin
Mandui
Cathee Norris
Gesh
Nathiniós
Torukan
Zhakiri
Krogon Devilstep
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

World-pvp: we must have fun! - Page 2 Empty Re: World-pvp: we must have fun!

Post by Thenkar Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 am

Exceeding? O.o

But yah, my problem about "Keep PvP in battlegrounds" would be that they're always ooc (unless you manage to make a completely ic premade and by happenstance get yourself to face one). That both sides are IC and so use IC tactics makes the experience much more thrilling. And as Shae said, there's so much more to RP-PvP than just PvP.

Immanuel's got a point too, but problems may arise, when one leader only uses msn, other sticks to skype, while some don't bother with anything, but irc...
Still, when that one patch (3.5 was it?) hits with it's battle.net friends, communication should become a lot easier. After all, we all use battle.net.

And finally Rarg: If it's an open event, I'm definitely interested! But my next week is busy so it's to be seen, if I can actually be there. >.>
Well, if I miss that one, I'll try twice as hard to make it to the followup event.

P.S. Hmm, does defias have an IRC channel? ;O

Thenkar

Character sheet
Name: Thenkar Shadowborn
Title: Shadowpope of the Cult

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilenath/Ilynaeth Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 am

Oh my god, an Internet community working together to solve it's problems!

Anyways, about blueshielding, even though I only found out what it is 10 minutes ago, how about, If you're OOC blueshield, if you're IC go green.
I know this is flawed, but it would stop assassinations on people who are just, say, OOCly checking the AH or something.
Lilenath/Ilynaeth
Lilenath/Ilynaeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 am

the overwhelming response to this is genuinely bringing a happy tear to my eye Laughing Razz
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Sun May 23, 2010 11:22 am

I'd like to congratulate Krogon on possibly the best post I've seen of him on the forums - and possibly one of the best post I've -ever- seen on -any- forums.

In my opinion, this is exactly what this server could use at this time. There are so many experienced as well as new RPers on this realm and so much RP happening - yet -so- much drama occurring on a daily basis. Isn't this a down right shame, really? Haven't we got enough drama and trolls to deal with on this realm? Like Goons, Black/White/Bluelisted and whatever more idiots who try to ruin RP as a whole. Do we really need to ruin things any further ourselves? Aren't be better off promoting RP and trying to unite against all these outsider threats? If we wouldn't be having these forums and all of these discussions would have occurred on the PUBLIC realm forums, all of the trolls there would have been upon our threads quick as the wind and -we- would end up being the server's scapegoats for making such a big fuss over virtually anything.

Just yesterday, I had a thorough talk with Spyre over some drama that occurred between OotRB and DRS a while ago. After some talks, I think I can safely say we both buried the hatchet, and we were both able to continue on talking like two decent people, as we were able to before all of this dramatic events happened. And let's be fair here, everyone. Being able to resolve drama in a peaceful way and being able to give one another a clap on the back afterwards makes both parties -far- better than having it all result in some big drama and flamefest that will possibly last on for weeks. Main argument for this is that I've spent five years on this server, and in none of those years, OotRB had -any- kind of drama with DRS. For the sake of RP as well as a friendly environment, we should strive to keep it that way. It's a ridiculous thought in itself to let all of those five years go to waste just because of some event that may have taken a turn for the worse.

Now, as for the PvP subject, I can be very clear on this. I don't mind immersion or realism or whatever more you'd like to call it. In fact, I have RPed taking the tribe to some kind of a Horde town and setting up a garrison there for the sake of not being able to jump from one spot on the map to the other in just a matter of seconds. HOWEVER! The reason I did this was to focus our RP on a particular spot, as to make it more interesting. My reason for this was never really for the sake of "You can't be sitting around in Durotar before you suddenly end up being teleported in Arathi for an WPvP battle!". Let's admit it, this world -isn't- always realistic. When taking a boat or zeppelin, it takes a few seconds to reach the continent. Teleportation portals are all over the place. If it allows us to have more RP and have fun in the process, why bother making such a big fuss about it all?

I think a lot of people have forgotten what this game is really about: FUN. Let go of those silly grudges and let go of your arguments that may prevent a certain guild or individual from having just that. Don't try to restrict their RP because of whatever rules -you- try to implore upon -them-. In this game, everyone is allowed to have their own rules. If you're in a certain guild, you accept their rules, and when you're on your own, nothing is limiting you from having your own rules. Therefore, I agree with Krogon when he says that people should relax a little bit when it comes to the whole territorial dominance and urging people on what to do.

I noticed I kind of strayed from the whole PvP subject though, so I'll have my last word on that. The thing is, I'm with Krogon in the ability that I can safely say I have followed the server's PvP events since day one (and literally day one, as I remember SGE's attack upon Astranaar - which was good fun seeing the entire Horde population die upon its high level guards). Never, ever in the history of the server have I seen such nitpicking and bickering before. I have hosted events with Krogon on the opposite side in the past, and by GOD did we have fun! There were no rules save for those which he stated, and a general sense of common respect lived in one another's raids as to not sour things up for the opposite party. No one was able to log onto level 1 alts to go throwing dirt in one another's eyes, not only because they weren't able to, but because they didn't see a need to.

Having read Krogon's post, I ended up remembering those kind of days. The days when I could go drag the tribe out of Orgrimmar into Astranaar or Menethil or whatever's more like it for a spontaneous, random raid. Back then, I could do so without getting any kind of RP guild going all "YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THAT'S A PROTECTED AREA" on my ass. If you see the defence channel spam, then answer it! If you lack the people to answer it, gather up any other allies, or gather up your own people for a counter-raid another day! All the more WPvP fun to reap! No nitpicking about realism or territorial dominance, but sheer fun! As a conclusion from Krogon's post, I can safely say that I will likely strive to do just that more often again as well, heeding his call for spontaneous battles all around the world - whether it requires having to jump from Orgrimmar to Arathi or Wetlands or beyond or not.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun May 23, 2010 11:28 am

I actually took the time to read all that. Good post Seiken. Consider the differences and BS put aside.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Sun May 23, 2010 11:34 am

Dat be sum wat gewd u smelly orc lulz.
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet
Name: Mikasa Angelos
Title: Retlol God

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 am

Give them nothing,
take from them everything!
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 am

Gogol wrote:Give them nothing,
take from them everything!

sparta? =o

Last edited by Krogon on Sun May 23, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallandria Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 am

I defiantly do miss the days where you could just grab gear and join in. Also as Koz said the world is unrealistic. Lore wise it takes six weeks *I think it is* to travel to Northrend by boat.
Gallandria
Gallandria

Character sheet
Name: Gallandria Adair
Title: The Bloody Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelo/Lucanor Sun May 23, 2010 11:47 am

It's good to see such an initiative and such great support from the whole community! If we'd solve all our problems like this I doubt there'd be much grudges left!
I'll adress two subjects mentioned in this topic shortly and give my opinion on how improvement could be made there:

First the issue of balancing. I think there's only one solution to prevent people getting frustrated because they're getting oneshot, and that's not just gear, but intention. People shouldn't be trying to win, pushing all their buttons like it's a bg (I'm not saying this should be applied to all wpvp, I can understand the fun of wpvp where you're just pvping the normal way) but take it easy, take some time between two powerful attacks, make sure your target isn't getting oneshot/stunlocked but give him the time to retreat, get healed and fight back.

Then the matter of territorial dominance, the solution here I think lies with the way people view themselves, their guilds and the impact of their rp. Don't pretend to be an entire nation's army, be a small elite force. Don't fight 'battles' in 'wars' to 'conquer' land, but create 'tensions' with 'skirmishes' between those small expeditionairy forces to harass other nations. Imho, an entire orc army invading the Wetlands to challenge the forces of Ironforge is deviating dangerously far from established lore, but a small orc expedition doing some raids on Dwarven territory would be totally probable. Both explanations could be given to the events between DRS and OotRB not too long ago, and I prefer the latter one. You don't need to downscale your fights, only the way you treat them in political rp and the way you call it.
Raelo/Lucanor
Raelo/Lucanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorik Thunderbelly Sun May 23, 2010 11:52 am

With all those contested zones around where Horde and Alliance clash frequently, it shouldn't be too hard to pick a site, find an IC reason of being there and hop in, and in the end the zone is back to status quo, regardless of who won or lost.
Dorik Thunderbelly
Dorik Thunderbelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Sun May 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Muspel wrote:Imho, an entire orc army invading the Wetlands to challenge the forces of Ironforge is deviating dangerously far from established lore, but a small orc expedition doing some raids on Dwarven territory would be totally probable.
Not to derail the topic, but keep in mind that we never RPed the tribe as being the bulk of the Horde forces or anything. It's just as the name implies: A tribe. Nothing more, nothing less. Therefore, we never pretended to be a serious contestant for the dwarven armies or anything - it was more as a means of guerilla warfare that we RPed trying to fight our way through.

Anyway. That said:
World-pvp: we must have fun! - Page 2 WoWScrnShot_091309_203436
-renders all arguments of PvP-geared battles being boring and too short invalid.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sun May 23, 2010 12:13 pm

The grisley hills battle took so long because of the lag? >.>
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 pm

The lag didn't last the whole fight I recall. It eventually did get better on a somewhat same scale numbers I am sure. Was a fun time.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelo/Lucanor Sun May 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:
Muspel wrote:Imho, an entire orc army invading the Wetlands to challenge the forces of Ironforge is deviating dangerously far from established lore, but a small orc expedition doing some raids on Dwarven territory would be totally probable.
Not to derail the topic, but keep in mind that we never RPed the tribe as being the bulk of the Horde forces or anything. It's just as the name implies: A tribe. Nothing more, nothing less. Therefore, we never pretended to be a serious contestant for the dwarven armies or anything - it was more as a means of guerilla warfare that we RPed trying to fight our way through.

I didn't mean to imply that, I was just saying that people might be a bit quick to call it a 'war' and start claiming they occupied land. That's not aimed at anyone, just at the general practise on the server, I only used the Wetlands thing as example because it was the first thing I thought of.
Raelo/Lucanor
Raelo/Lucanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinnadrin Sun May 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Also keep in mind that ICly, the distances would be larger than ingame, the NPC populations higher, a guild strike force of a dozen or two roleplayers pretty much insignificant when it comes to holding entire provinces.

There are many things an MMO just can't model yet. Roleplaying in it is a tough challenge that requires many compromises. Let's hope we all can just smile at these days 25 years from now while playing the newest, ultra-realistic world-simulator. Cool
Sinnadrin
Sinnadrin

Character sheet
Name: Lord Sinnadrin Sunfury
Title: Sun King Aspirant

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Sun May 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Good post, good points, good work Seiken. I wholeheartedly approve of everything you have writen, and give you both thumbs up for the work you`ve put in this post as it is all true.

As for what Koz` posted:

World-pvp: we must have fun! - Page 2 Wowscrnshot091209211119.th

Fast as the wind
The Invasion has begun
Shaking the ground
With a force of 1000 guns

First in the line of fire
First into hostile land
Tanks leading the way
Leading the way

Charging the lines with a force of a furious storm
Fast as the lightning phantom's swarm
200 miles at nightfall taken within a day
Thus earning their name, earning their fame

They are the Panzer Elite
Born to compete
Never retreat
(Ghost Division)
Living or dead
Always ahead
Fed by your dread

Always ahead as the Blitzkrieg rages on
Breaking morale with the sound of blazing guns

First in the line of fire
First into hostile land
Tanks leading the way
Leading the way
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Sun May 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Whens the next anniversary wars?
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun May 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Jomir Howlhammer wrote:Whens the next anniversary wars?

whenether you want it to be :>
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Sun May 23, 2010 1:26 pm

So like..... In ten minutes? :O
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Jomir Howlhammer wrote:So like..... In ten minutes? :O

nobody is stopping you getting a few dwarves, alliance or anyone and just marching to the nearest horde town o_o'
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyre Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 pm

You stoped me from doing that to the goons :c
Spyre
Spyre

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun May 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Spyre wrote:You stoped me from doing that to the goons :c

thats a bit different dear >_o''
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Sun May 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Is it -really- though?
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun May 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Jomir Howlhammer wrote:Is it -really- though?

just go out and have fun xD il see you in the field soon.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2