Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moderators, a discussion.

+15
Antistia
Magaskawee/Anaei
Wubeh
Gunnell
Raelan
Cathee Norris
Arador
Nayan
Ataris
Jakins
Jayse
Kozgugore Feraleye
Mordazan
Shrogan
Gogol
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Moderators, a discussion. - Page 3 Empty Re: Moderators, a discussion.

Post by Zhakiri Thu May 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I think we both have differing but valid points Mandui, it is disrespectful to a degree I feel but then again it's not like the Voice is running around misusing the persona on OOC forums.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

We're about to enter a circular discussion, which wouldn't be pleasant for none of us. And still no one answers my question. Had this happened in game, would people go apeshit or not? The fact alone that it happened on a forum, in order to reach more people than an IC letter can ever reach, is a good enough reason for me to see it as an IC move, receive and handle it as nothing more than that.

If people prefer to keep bickering because "Zomg! Someone has two accounts!!1! PREPOSTEROUS!1!" then they might go right ahead and do so. They should not whine for the negative atmosphere created however, since they created it themselves.

Last edited by Mandui on Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 pm

That depends entirely on the people, Mandui. Personally I would not, and I think the majority of players would not.

And Mandui, action -> reaction.

Voice makes an alternate account -> people get upset.
Why do people get upset? Because someone uses an alternate account, what is then the way to stop people from getting upset? Get rid of the alternative account.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Antistia wrote:That depends entirely on the people, Mandui. Personally I would not.

Why do people get upset? Because someone uses an alternate account, what is then the way to stop people from getting upset? Get rid of the alternative account.
I would personally prefer that this doesn't happen and that people learn to handle things as they are, without constantly looking for conspiracies or ill intentions where there are none. By the way, the action -> reaction thing doesn't really apply here, since the normal reaction to this would have been to either knowledge it as an IC occurrence, or simply ignore it.

Account was created for IC reasons. Treat it like that.
You don't like it? Ignore it.

But that's just me. Just for the record and before the whole speculations begin to thrive, no, I'm not the Voice, I don't know who it is and neither am I eager to find out. So, the opinion I stated here is as unbiased as it can get. But like I said, if people want to keep whining, then good luck, have fun Razz
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Thu May 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Perhaps this thread should be locked now?
There has been a lot of derailing from the real subject, the moderators.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Mandui wrote:
Antistia wrote:That depends entirely on the people, Mandui. Personally I would not.

I would personally prefer that this doesn't happen and that people learn to handle things as they are, without constantly looking for conspiracies or ill intentions where there are none.

Account was created for IC reasons. Treat it like that.
You don't like it? Ignore it.

But that's just me. Just for the record and before the whole speculations begin to thrive, no, I'm not the Voice, I don't know who it is and neither am I eager to find out. So, the opinion I stated here is as unbiased as it can get. But like I said, if people want to keep whining, then good luck, have fun Razz

Yeah, and that's the fundamental difference we have right there, Mandui. I treat the accountname as something that is neither ICly necessary nor a positive influence OOCly, you consider it to be a part of IC from what I get.

And I agree, people should not look for conspiracy theories, but that can hardly be changed so one must look to eliminate things that provoke those ideas, the alternative account issue is what ensure people get upset.

I say, the account wasn't necessary IC, the posters are the only IC thing there, look at the posters and what is signed there. There is absolutely no need for an alternative account to post them on, else you can take a look at the population thread on this forum and look at all the potential members we have who are not anonymous now add to that the people who want to be anonymous and you have a lot of alts coming in. That's the implication of this, and that is an implication I do not want.

And Gogol, this is still about the moderators, about the toleration of the Voice by the moderators in particular.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Let's just agree to disagree, shall we? We obviously have two different point of views and we wouldn\'t come anywhere close to a common conclusion any time soon Very Happy

Edit: I should perhaps mention that I'm fully aware of the implications this may cause if everyone decided to make an alternative account. But that won't be the case, because not everyone has an alt who wants to reach the public with posters and remain anonymous, right? And if suddenly this was the case, we'd all know why it happens just now Razz

Last edited by Mandui on Thu May 20, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Agreed, we have fundamental differences of opinion.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakins Thu May 20, 2010 5:12 pm

There's nothing wrong with the account.

Reasons:

1. Posts are IC and not openly flaming people.

2. It's been created for IC reasons, not OOC.

3. It's not their fault if you get angry over IC posts.

4. It's an account created to act as 'the people's voice' hence the name.

However; when it comes to moderator's attitude towards it, to which sounds rather hostile at the start when telling people off before things start, is not the right way to go.

Next time, don't go with a direct threat to delete posts but instead warn people directly, not everyone.
Jakins
Jakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu May 20, 2010 5:16 pm

There's plenty of things wrong with the account.

Reasons:

1. Posts are IC and thus shouldn't need to hide in the first place.

2. It's been created for silly reasons, namely shame and/or cowardice in my opinion.

3. It's their fault for creating the persona and therefore the hysteria that's followed.

4. It's an character created to act as 'the people's voice', the account was unnecessary.

But I agree with your following points. :3
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm

And Cut, my deepest apologies, but I am not in any courtroom stand to "prove" anything to you or anyone else (especially with "deadlines"). Smile Decisions are not made single-handedly, as much as some enjoy presenting them as such. You will have to wait, same as I do, you're not special

Case and point, nothing will change.
Spoiler:
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Nygarth wrote:Quoting from the 'rules' post.

Please register with your character name.

Just saying, that rule was made for reasons. One of such, I expect would be to prevent what's happening at the moment regarding the Voice. Just saying.

Oh, and this isn't really 'on topic' persay but that Mike fellow. Is that his characters name....Or...? Just wonderin'.

Not gonna get into the discussion right now as I have things to do, just want to clear this bit out.

The rule state this to make the activation process easier. However not everyone does even do this. The Voice did however to begin with. And if you are unaware, you can yourself change your name in the profile. I left that as it was because us all being roleplayers I think we all swap over from time to time to other characters, in which case it'd be nice to be able to change the name here accordingly.

Although that is not on topic, and I don't intend to go and discuss on topic at this time (as said further up), just wanted to clear that one out Smile
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordazan Thu May 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Jakins wrote:
4. It's an account created to act as 'the people's voice' hence the name.

Just poking in a note - that is, in fact, not true. I would like to refer to my own reply in the actual thread for an in depth explanation.
Mordazan
Mordazan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 20, 2010 8:32 pm

I've only really read this thread and nothing more. My own, personal opinion is that there shouldn't be a trend started with 'anonymous' accounts posting. Which is consequently what will happen, that much I can guarantee.

If all that's needed for me to register an anonymous account is to verify myself as a roleplayer then that's easy, and from there I can do whatever I want with it, even if it was intended for IC posts.

I just feel a forum with anonymous posters (more or less) becomes a rather asocial forum, and in turn, a rather hostile forum. If there's something that encourages bad attitude on the internet, its hidden identity.

That said, I've not read this 'Voice' persons post, so that's not where I want my point with this.

As long as I know that the person I speak to have a known net-identity , I feel comfortable talking to them. Simply because they have to stand for what they say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 pm

And I apologise to Gogol for further derailing the subject of his thread. Sorry mate, I just had to speak my mind about 'postingalts'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Koroko Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Andrek wrote:I just feel a forum with anonymous posters (more or less) becomes a rather asocial forum, and in turn, a rather hostile forum. If there's something that encourages bad attitude on the internet, its hidden identity.

The 'anonymous attitude' you are referring to comes from a character within the game. There is no internet within the game (yet, but those goblins, man.. you heard it here first!) so therefore I'm not sure where your argument stands.

My only position on the whole issue is that it's terrible that a community of intelligent and like-minded individuals can throw such a hoo-hah over the opinions of an anonymous character. Surely dealing with such slander in-game is quite fun, no?
Koroko
Koroko

http://defiaseu.wikia.com/wiki/Koroko_Nightwatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Koroko wrote:
Andrek wrote:I just feel a forum with anonymous posters (more or less) becomes a rather asocial forum, and in turn, a rather hostile forum. If there's something that encourages bad attitude on the internet, its hidden identity.

The 'anonymous attitude' you are referring to comes from a character within the game. There is no internet within the game (yet, but those goblins, man.. you heard it here first!) so therefore I'm not sure where your argument stands.

My only position on the whole issue is that it's terrible that a community of intelligent and like-minded individuals can throw such a hoo-hah over the opinions of an anonymous character. Surely dealing with such slander in-game is quite fun, no?

The game is part of the internet, just as the players participating in the game are part of the internet community. I don't see how that'd change anything when it comes to anonymous posters? Who 'the Voice' is doesn't interest me, I didnt even read what he wrote, what interests me is how he got permission to post without anyone knowing who he is.

You can't let one of your kids play with the computer and then tell the others that they can't. Thus, anonymous posters are sure to show up eventually, if that's the new policy.

Last edited by Andrek on Thu May 20, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spellcasting failed.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3