Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moderators, a discussion.

+15
Antistia
Magaskawee/Anaei
Wubeh
Gunnell
Raelan
Cathee Norris
Arador
Nayan
Ataris
Jakins
Jayse
Kozgugore Feraleye
Mordazan
Shrogan
Gogol
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Moderators, a discussion. - Page 2 Empty Re: Moderators, a discussion.

Post by Jayse Thu May 20, 2010 1:31 pm

Alot of people seem to miss the whole (point of concept) the voice represents. Why people take this as a attempt to attack anyone is -completley- beyond me. I adivse people take a step back and look at the whole concept and idea 'The Voice' represents. Which on many times before.. has been stated..

TBH the whole discussion topic at hand is vastly becoming (excuse the blunt yet callous word) Retarded. I did origionally add a slight nod in agreement however the whole thing has taken on sizable proportion equating a tabloid political scandal... For the love of cricket!..

It's a web forum nothing more.. nothing less.. It's not a complete underground political movement in an oppressive totallitarian socilety ruled by tyrants in clean perfectly pressed white suits and automatic rifles..

Take a step back.. and assess..

Cheers
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Antistia wrote:There is no need to create an extra account with a different name to fulfill this, simply sign off the poster or whatever with an IC nickname instead of your character's real name, after all, it's all IC is it not?"
Agreed to that, Anti. But since it was allowed, I am not going to question everything and anything. Whether it is correct or not, there should be an ooc thread here discussing it. Not flamebaiting/trolling/derailing and personal insults/accusations in the actual IC threads, cause that will be moderated.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Jayse wrote:Alot of people seem to miss the whole (point of concept) the voice represents. Why people take this as a attempt to attack anyone is -completley- beyond me. I adivse people take a step back and look at the whole concept and idea 'The Voice' represents. Which on many times before.. has been stated..

TBH the whole discussion topic at hand is vastly becoming (excuse the blunt yet callous word) Retarded. I did origionally add a slight nod in agreement however the whole thing has taken on sizable proportion equating a tabloid political scandal... For the love of cricket!..

It's a web forum nothing more.. nothing less.. It's not a complete underground political movement in an oppressive totallitarian socilety ruled by tyrants in clean perfectly pressed white suits and automatic rifles..

Take a step back.. and assess..

Cheers
This man speaks the truth.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 1:57 pm

I like the concept, but I do not see why someone would choose to hide their identity OOCly by making another account, can't see why it was allowed either.

For is it not the text written that is the IC information, and not the accountname?

And Nayan, I agree that obvious flamebaiting and the like should be moderated, but we have to look at the reason for the discussions that emerge from the Voice's threads too, this is not a dislike of the concept, not OOC annoyance at IC criticism. This is OOC annoyance because someone felt it necessary to create an alternate account with the name of the author (which, in my mind is OOC in nature) to spread these IC messages. The reason for these discussions thus is the fact that there is an alt doing this and not a main, I can assure you if it was a main doing this there would be far less flaming and whatnot going on in the Voice's threads instead of OOC discussion about who he is and criticism of the fact that it is an alt.

Unlike you I do question why this was allowed, its results have been counterproductive too in my mind and personally I'd like for the Voice to stop it with the alt and just do it on a main and get the damned discussions about who he is over with so we can focus on the IC matters at hand.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Thu May 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Antistia wrote:
My greatest beef at the moment, the fact that people are once again hiding behind posting alts.

Problem is not that I dislike the Voice, I quite like the concept, but I hate the precedent it sets, the moderators are now obliged to allow anyone with much the same reason as the Voice to create an alt. It's a minor trickle at first, a little bit of water comes through but in the end this allows for the floodgates to be opened and for it all to go wrong.
I cannot see why someone would have to hide behind a posting alt either, what's the point? You're not going to flame people as your other account will be punished as well (I sure as hell hope so) and for those saying "It's IC!" Well; "There is no need to create an extra account with a different name to fulfill this, simply sign off the poster or whatever with an IC nickname instead of your character's real name, after all, it's all IC is it not?"

You are wasting your breath, buddy.
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 2:07 pm

There's a chance I'm not, even if it is a slight chance I'll try to make full use of the opportunity either way.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Thu May 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Attaboy.
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Thu May 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:Isn't this one of those times where, just like a monarchy we all have -no- say in this?

Didn't the current moderators come together to start the forum? Technically making it theres? And we are 'guests' here? I'm not defending all the unjust viva la revoltuion post deletion but we are making these threads as if we are going to -elect- moderators.

I don't think that's really fair. It doesn't them give them the right to do whatever they want. Although I agree with what Nayan did in this case.

(Nayaaaaan typing on my bb is so frealing annoying :(, any news about that tapatalk thing? D: )
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 pm

(Nayaaaaan typing on my bb is so frealing annoying Sad, any news about that tapatalk thing? D: )

He would make such a good dad.
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu May 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Why would Anti be "wasting his breath", Zalg, really? He's not trying to insult anyone, he is expressing his opinion in a proper way, and he is not talking nonsense or gossip. So, what makes you think he is "wasting his breath"?
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Thu May 20, 2010 2:42 pm

I think it's pretty obvious as to what he was implying to, Nayan - i.e. that he wouldn't get a proper response :p! Not that Wubeh's right, of course! I'm just going to be blunt and say this entire thing is being blown way out of proportion and now I'm going to stop being a nuisence and shut my mouth.
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Thu May 20, 2010 2:44 pm

Nayan wrote:So, what makes you think he is "wasting his breath"?

Because obviously nothing will change even if he yaps about it until the end of time.

Can you prove me wrong before I come back from dinner out?

Last edited by Wubeh on Thu May 20, 2010 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Nayan wrote:I'm as much of a guest here as you all are. I just do the dishes as well.

A good guest doesn't rub it in the other guests' faces, though.

People are curious about the Voice. It might drive some people a bit more crazy than others, but why not speculate in the thread they posted in? Just because it's happened a few times before doesn't mean it's destined to happen each and every time. So people make OOC comments, big freakin' deal. I do think one (or two) of the mods should perhaps tone back a bit. In this case, Nayan is jumping the gun, in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu May 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Just want to say that I completely agree with Antistia.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu May 20, 2010 3:17 pm

If we all went by our opinions selfishly and without considering it's a free forum (as there have been accusations), Felinaa, I'd personally see a good 10-15 people out of these forums from day one. This is not the case though. And indeed a good guest doesn't "rub it", same as a good guest doesn't wander around trying to find opportunities to cause unrest and demean others.

And Cut, my deepest apologies, but I am not in any courtroom stand to "prove" anything to you or anyone else (especially with "deadlines"). Smile Decisions are not made single-handedly, as much as some enjoy presenting them as such. You will have to wait, same as I do, you're not special.

Last edited by Nayan on Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Quoting from the 'rules' post.

Please register with your character name.

Just saying, that rule was made for reasons. One of such, I expect would be to prevent what's happening at the moment regarding the Voice. Just saying.

Oh, and this isn't really 'on topic' persay but that Mike fellow. Is that his characters name....Or...? Just wonderin'.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu May 20, 2010 3:26 pm

The explanation to this, Nyg, as far as I remember the discussion, was that the character name was required so we can confirm the user's identity. The moderator who activated the Voice, confirmed the user's identity.

The Rules have no meaning when they serve themselves, that's my personal opinion. For example: In my guild I require an RP story for applications. If Shrogan applied and didn't post one, I wouldn't decline his app because "OMG U DIDNT POST RP STORY". Because I know he's an RP'er, and that point is proven to me even without the rp story, de facto.

So, since the identity was established by the moderator who activated the Voice, the actual account name doesn't matter that much. Same with Mike, who posted in realm forums on his char.

This is all already under discussion, for ways to further improve forum registrations, and it would be untimely to say more, when nothing is finalized yet.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu May 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Ok, I agree with all you just said but surely, as Cut has expressed, one of the reasons behind limiting you to your character name. Would be so that posting alts don't exist, because they shouldn't have to unless they have something to hide to the rest of the server which they shouldn't...

Unless they're actually attacking someone which shouldn't be allowed anyway.

Simply put, just because the Mod's know who the guy is, isn't a good enough reason to hide them from the rest of the server...Just my 2 cent, I'm sure that you already have a discussion in the Mod forum regarding this.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu May 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Nygarth threw in two cents?! Fuck this here's three.

Here's how I see it. The voice says, "Ok, i'm actually <Insert Name Here>" then suddenly all that IC information that he's posted is taken and suddenly people rage at the admitant person. They take an IC issue, not even related to the admitant's main and re-direct it OOC.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm

The curiosity of some people is disturbing and amusing at the same time. The person behind the Voice already stated that all the posts are IC (posters, flyers, etc.). I seriously fail to see why or how some of you can't handle the fact that you don't know who the player behind that account is. As long as the person remains IC and doesn't use this account to flame people OOCly, there should be no problem whatsoever.

Just like if let's say your character in-game received an anonymous letter concerning a plot, be it threats, criticism or something positive. What would you do then? Spam /general chat and go all bananas in order to find who sent this? If that's the case, then it's a rather poor form. You can either play along or ignore it, if you ask me. Bashing, flaming and whining because you just want to know doesn't really show any roleplaying spirit.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:Nygarth threw in two cents?! Fuck this here's three.

Here's how I see it. The voice says, "Ok, i'm actually <Insert Name Here>" then suddenly all that IC information that he's posted is taken and suddenly people rage at the admitant person. They take an IC issue, not even related to the admitant's main and re-direct it OOC.

Why would they rage? Rage ICly, the information should be considered IC, not OOC. There is no reason to make an alt just to ensure that, it shows a certain lack of trust (and disrespect in my mind) towards the community as a whole.
Not to mention the precedent it sets and the apparant unrest it has caused.

The writings are IC, not the accountname, it is the fact that there is now an alt which is disturbing, as it has a negative effect on the community as can be seen, which causes problems within the community. The best solution is to either have the Voice voluntarily stop using that account or be made to stop using that account as the unrest it has generated will dissipate knowing there are no alts any longer.

As long as the person remains IC and doesn't use this account to flame people OOCly, there should be no problem whatsoever.

The problem is that unrest is caused by the simple fact it is an alt, how to quell this unrest? More strict moderation on his threads? More work and less effective than the other solution; No alts allowed at all, no matter the reasoning.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Antistia wrote:
The writings are IC, not the accountname, it is the fact that there is now an alt which is disturbing, as it has a negative effect on the community as can be seen, which causes problems within the community.
Like I already explained:
Just like if let's say your character in-game received an anonymous letter concerning a plot, be it threats, criticism or something positive. What would you do then? Spam /general chat and go all bananas in order to find who sent this? If that's the case, then it's a rather poor form. You can either play along or ignore it, if you ask me. Bashing, flaming and whining because you just want to know doesn't really show any roleplaying spirit.
Additionally, it was others who took whatever the Voice posted to an OOC level in his threads, not the other way around. Perhaps they should be the ones to stop doing so, and either take it ICly or ignore it entirely, so everything goes back to normal Wink
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I find this all very patronising, as if we're not allowed to know something because of a very stupid reason.

We as an RPing community, do and should respect each other in every degree. Hiding behind an alt, is disrespectful towards us considering that unless you are -ashamed- about what you're posting. You should have absolutely no reason to hide, simply put, all that 'rage' that Anaei described is, I think, a premature assumption considering the amount of interesting and good things he's written.

I think he'd have alot more respect on his hands than rage.

Oh and Anaei, I RAISE FOUR COINS!
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Nygarth wrote:I find this all very patronising, as if we're not allowed to know something because of a very stupid reason.

We as an RPing community, do and should respect each other in every degree. Hiding behind an alt, is disrespectful towards us considering that unless you are -ashamed- about what you're posting. You should have absolutely no reason to hide, simply put, all that 'rage' that Anaei described is, I think, a premature assumption considering the amount of interesting and good things he's written.

I think he'd have alot more respect on his hands than rage.

Oh and Anaei, I RAISE FOUR COINS!
You clearly don't get my point and prefer to receive this as disrespect, instead of taking as it is meant to be: roleplay.

I still have no answer to the question I asked. I suppose most people would go bananas after all....which is rather disappointing.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Mandui wrote:
Antistia wrote:
The writings are IC, not the accountname, it is the fact that there is now an alt which is disturbing, as it has a negative effect on the community as can be seen, which causes problems within the community.
Like I already explained:
Additionally, it was others who took whatever the Voice posted to an OOC level in his threads, not the other way around. Perhaps they should be the ones to stop doing so, and either take it ICly or ignore it entirely, so everything goes back to normal Wink

Again, the accountname or what account you post with matters not, that bar on the side is OOC information, Mandui, only what is written in the post can be regarded as IC. Thus the accountname ought to not matter, which eliminates the need for an alternative account.

And yes, the others should take it only ICly but the fact that the Voice uses an alternative account is provoking this speculation, which has lead to what we've seen emerge in his threads, therefore, the Voice's use of an alternative account is the root of this problem. The only real solution is to stop using the alternative account otherwise the flaming and whatnot will come up every now and then, again and again. What does the Voice lose? Nothing, his writings are still IC and are still readable to all. "But Anti, he's losing anonymity!" Why is anonymity to such an extent even needed? Is it not enough that the message is IC and it is your choice to type the author's (nick)name under it if you want anonymity you also need to keep the (nick)name out of it ICly.

Rounding up; the usage of an alternative account will provide no gains, it has only brought tension within the community and more work for the moderators. An alternative account is not needed as what it writes is IC and the bar on the side holding its accountname is purely OOC as it is not there ICly.

Edit: And Mandui, if you think I just want to know who it is, I don't care who it is, I care for the principle, the tension it has caused and the implications of the moderating team accepting an alternative account.

Last edited by Antistia on Thu May 20, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next