Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[In Progress] Aedrik Ford

5 posters

Go down

[In Progress] Aedrik Ford Empty [In Progress] Aedrik Ford

Post by Alastir Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi DefiasRP,

Okay, So i am trying to develop a character that is as balanced as possible as i really want to avoid being "Zomg i am soo OP you can't touch me for how awesome i am Lolzor L33t Haxzor"

Right so here is what i have so far, I hope you guys do not think it is too far fetched.

Character Profile

Name: Aedrik Ford
Race: Human
Class: Living Death Knight(*)

Short Physical Description

Fairly muscular physique. His body temperature seems lower then normal but it seems to have little effect on his strength or dexterity. His hair is short, would reach his neck and is kept tidy and neat on a whole. His skin seems some what paler then most due to the lower body temperature and to touch it would be noticeable like you was touching someone who had just come inside from a cold windy day.

Down his spine he has several runic empowered scars. Charged with the Blood, Death and Frost magic commonly associated with a Death Knight. Due to the affect of using Unholy magic on a living body he is incapable of using the magic associated with this particular rune.

The "Living" Death Knight

Okay, So the "Living" Death knight is a mere shadow of its fully fledged Undead Death Knight but does come with certain perks to replace the generic weaknesses of the typical Death Knight. So i'm going to split it up into simple Pros and cons of this class vs its Undead counter part.

Pros
- Does not have an Adverse reaction to Holy Magic.
- Aging would be a slower process due to the Lower Body Temperature.
- Would able to be healed in traditional styles and body would be able to regenerate over time.
- During combat he would most likely either use frost magic to attack with or blood magic to drain vitality from his foe.

Cons
- Limited runic power, Would have to rely on a potion or runic power being transferred into his body in order to sustain his runic weapons.
- Limited runic weapon alignment due to the use of runic weapons draining the runic power within he would be limited to the amount of time he could use his rune weapons before either having to seek out runic empowerment or using one of his potions to replenish it.
- Although capable of being healed by holy magic it would be slower so long as his Rune blades are present.
- Unable to use Unholy magic. (As a rule, If an in game ability requires and unholy rune then i would not be able to cast it Icly)
- Is susceptible to Unholy Magic - Meaning if someone would cast it against him it would have the same effect as it would on a normal human.
- Would be unable to use Saronite Armour - Due to the corruption and almost guaranteed insanity using armor and weapons forged from this metal would cause.
- The empowered runes would be bright and visible through thin clothes. Would make it difficult to sneak around.

Conclusion/End of the post type stuff!

Okay, Hope you guys don't mind this concept too much but if you would give any feed back, Fill in blanks if i have missed any obvious ones have been missed. Or just general thoughts on how the character should or shouldn't react in certain situations and such!

Look forward to heari--- Reading your replies!

Last edited by Alastir on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added to the cons list...)

Alastir

Back to top Go down

[In Progress] Aedrik Ford Empty Re: [In Progress] Aedrik Ford

Post by Ixirar Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Necromantic energies cause you to age -faster-, not slower. If you age slower, make it because of some other sort of magic designed specifically to combat the aging process.

Runic power isn't related to undeath so you can be just as strong at that as any DK without being undead yourself.

Unholy magic doesn't require undeath either, you'd just be susceptible to the negative effects of it, rather than being empowered by it like undead DKs are.

A quick suggestion: You may want to consider playing a different class than Death Knight ICly. My death knight char, for example, is also a living person ICly, thus I don't class him as a Death Knight at all. Instead, I've made him a necromancer. He doesn't use rune magic either, having trained in the art of anti-magic before turning to necromancy, so those two fields are his only areas of expertise in terms of magic. To fulfill the DK class kit, he's simply pairing those two skills with ye olde swordsmanship, pretty much fulfilling the role of a "living death knight" without actually making him one.

WITH THAT IN MIND, realise that I'm not trying to make you scrap your character. I'm simply offering alternatives, although I'd have no grudges against you if you intend to play your char as a literal living Death Knight. The number one rule is that if your RP is fun for you, you're generally okay (outside of outright breaking blizz lore, which you haven't. There have been cases of Death Knights achieving their powers before becoming undead, or transitioning into undeath because of their runeblade, so on and so forth). The key point when dealing with others is communication. If you're worried you might be coming on too strong, a simple whisper to the counterpart to make them aware that you're not trying to force your power onto them, to show them that you're willing to communicate and find a course that'll be equally enjoyable for both of you goes a long way to make sure people accept and respect your char concept.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

My two cents? Just play a normal Death Knight that is a Death Knight in the way Blizzard introduced Death Knights. That is versatile enough.

You also seem extremely invested in the fictional mechanics of the character, but those are hardly important when you're role-playing. Think about your characters personality first. His likes, his dislikes. His ambitions! Where he came from!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Here is a more general link to Rune magic in general, since it's not limited to Death Knights. Death knights far as I know use a kind of rune magic variation that the vrykul used of course or somesort.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But there is a whole diffrent kind of runes and so on, sybmols and whatnot death knights got their system others *shrug*

Now sure how much this is related : Far as Death knights and their runes go I know some like to put them on like armor, but it's more of a weapon thing for them, surely is possible to somehow get something same on armor but dobut that any just average Death knight can himself or just any mage since Death Knight weaponsm, runes and so on were generally a scourge secret thing.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastir Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Hmm, I see your point. But i think after a couple of people have both pointed out to me now the plausability of a living death knight is a slow battle of loosing your own life in the process. Not quite what i am wanting to go for. But the other infomation i can find on a rune based class is that of a Rune Master which is more like an arcane wielding monk... Perhaps some reworking and redesigning into a class that would more accurately fit that subclass may be a better thought.

Alastir

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Correct me if I am wrong. (I'm more or less wrong I think) but wasn't Arthas a "living death knight" at a brief point in warcraft three who just simply "passed over into undeath at a certain point"?

- Aging would be a slower process due to the Lower Body Temperature.

Wouldn't that just outright kill him/make him slower in body due to being hindered by the coldness within? Maybe I am wrong here.

Other than that i'll just go with whatever Ix thinks on how a living DK would work. The idea of being a living DK never crossed my mind once (I didn't even know Kavalis was living.) however at the end of the day more DK RP'ers please! We're a dying breed over here ;_;.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Yes, exactly. Frostmourne claimed Arthas' soul, but he never really died. He just sorta slipped into undeath, as all wielders of vampiric runeblades eventually do.

However, as I mentioned, Kavalis isn't really a DK either. He's just a necromancer who wields a blade, and as such he only really wields the unholy bit of the DK arsenal, not the runic or blood magic parts.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down