Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gladiator RP/PvP (idea)

+7
Helmut
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Skarain
erwtenpeller
Vaell
Littlepip
Charlie Blazesong
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gladiator RP/PvP (idea) Empty Gladiator RP/PvP (idea)

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Right, so I've been thinking of this for some time now and not sure how well it would be. What I had in mind was a system that the gladiators would be slaves(well duh) and with slavers. There would be basicly three kinds of people, Gladiators for fights ofcourse, slavers which are the ones who got the gladiators in order to gain profit and then finally the organizers.  The organizers would basicly be there to oversee and make sure the bets placed are held. Also provide guards incase the audience gets problematic.

This is how far I've got in thinking it out, the idea is that they would be traveling the world and fight in the various arenas with an audience if possible. Does this sound like a good idea or does it simply sound lame? I didn't find any topics atleast not in the LFR section that would match this idea so I just made this one. This concept could perhaps become a guild, but not sure yet since it is really focused on one thing and might become boring after a while.

The goal of this would also be to create an atmosphere around it rather than just have an event.

(Oh and I found one old and dusty thread but dont really wanna necro it so will just have this here.)

After discussing some more:

Gladiators can be wounded so they cannot continue the fight and so on. This will make it more appealable and give more room for character progression instead of requied IC death if they die in the arena. However in the last match of the season perhaps one IC death would be good for the excitement and prestiege of the victor whoever that may be. This will also add tension and the viewers will find that battle more exciting and hopefully end with the climax in the end as a good wrap up.

Enslaved gladiators are welcomed though independent ones are also good to go. The enslavement option is for whoever wants to try that side of RP a bit.

The date of the first event will be sometime after the RP-PvP campaign ends and most likely after new years, will try and keep this thread updated on the time and such once it is set.

There will also hopefully be a sort of market in place where items, food and booze can be bought to either prepare for the arenas or just have a good time while watching the games.

If interested you will PM me with the following details:
Name of character and charactername Possibly alts and such incase I need to whisper you.

Role what role do you want to have. Be it slaver gladiator or something else.

competition Which competition do you or your gladiators want to participate in? There are two contests, emote duel(only 1v1) and PvP(1v1 2v2 and 3v3) Some contests will likely not be there if there isn't enough people that go for it.

If slaver/gladiator: Who is/are your master/gladiators or are you independent?

The current areas I have in mind that are around are currently:

Blade's Edge arena No flaws that I know of except it's an ogre infested place.

Nagrand Arena Though I havent checked it out yet, might be something hindering that which I'm unaware of.

The crucible of carnage This would only be duels or Horde vs Alliance teams

Cage thing in gadgetzan Might be too small and only duels.

Gurubashi arena: Highly likable to have gank issues.

Dire Maul Duels only or Horde vs Alliance teams.

Feel free to tell of more places, they will need to be of a certain size, be somewhat open, and accesable by both factions. The more there merrier right?

Last edited by Stig/Jens/Mort on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added something from later posts to make it a little easier to catch up with the thread.)
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Gladiator RP/PvP (idea) Empty Re: Gladiator RP/PvP (idea)

Post by Littlepip Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I think it is a good idea, except the problem with the spectators, would it be imagined or would there actually be anyone coming to this?

I know that very few of the alliance would come to it, probably just the Horde would love this.
(( Being filthy barbarians Twisted Evil  ))
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Well, the spectrators would possibly have to be imagination depending on the interest, hopefully some would come around now and then, I mean. Who doesn't like to get drunk and watch people fight eachother to death? The only problem I'd see would be since gladiators usualy die when they lose. Would need to find a way around that since not everybody are up for dying because of faulty keybindings.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:50 pm

I was thinking of starting up an idea like this last year, it has potential! One way you could do it is to have anyone who wishes to join knows they could die and MUST accept it. Otherwise the RP will be ruined. Anyone could enter any character, but if you're fearful of losing one of the ones you like, then why not enter with an entirely new character? After a season of fighting, the remaining champion (or the last few) can RP their characters normally and wait until the next time they have to fight.

Let me give an example...

Joe Bloggs makes Spartacus.
January - March, he ends up winning against any hostile opponent (you can survive 'friendlies/sportsman fights')
From March till September (the next season) he can RP his new character as a champion around Stormwind.

That way, if your new character dies, don't sweat it. Wait until the next tournament and make a new one. Does that make sense?
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm

That OOOOR! I just came with this now, if they choose to not die after losing in the arena they would be scooped up, depending on the season they would be either put out for the season, or have a penalty having to wait for a good few rounds while they heal up since being nearly beaten to death, you wont recover too fast and stuff like that.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 pm

We could also have the people decide if the man/women should survive.
If the fight was god enough and lasted long enough they could yell either Yes or No.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Could work, well. I always think it's up to each individual person though. If they are fine with it, sure why not?
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Like in Gadgetzan with goblins?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, something along those lines would be nice. Maybe the final match has to be a fight to the death. By putting that fear in, it creates a prestige for the title Champion. Say if it got down to two people, if one was too scared to fight, he could forfeit and the title goes to the other.

Definitely put in some risk though, it'll make some of the fights enjoyable to watch as spectators.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Remember we are talking about slaves, that means the player IC won't have any choice but to say Yes to the fight or he will be either tortured or killed before the match even starts.

Also I have to admit this is something that should be about life or death. It will be much more exciting and fun if you didn't know who was going to win or loose, it would be more tense and would force people to think before they acted.

The only way they could survive is if the battle was good enough and the people vote yes, if that happened the battle could happen again between those two.

If you want to get it even more complex the Romans did it quite well, however the slaves was actually treated quite well, they were like movie stars now.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Yeah, that would work. The idea is that there would be tournements traveling between the different arenas in the world like Nagrand arena and Blades Edge, giving it a nice feeling and a bit refreshable atmosphere, possibly a black market around aswell. They would be at each place for around one or two weeks before moving to the next, and then once a year there is Dire Maul.

Will be great watching people fight if this becomes a thing. If we get to making a guild however I don't think I would like being GM because to put it frank, I'd be a sloppy one since it requies time and dedication, something I feel I will lack after a few weeks since I tend to switch around on alts and stuff when the current char gets less fun.

So, I'd prefer if this came to PvP instead of emote fights since I think most people will get bored of reading texts of wall when they could watch a warrior obliterate a mage or the other way around.

And Thorvald, as much as I'd like to watch battles to the death I think giving the gladiators the freedom, since then it won't be as intimedating for the players to join. Ofcourse they'd be slaves and the slavemaster can do whatever he wants with them when it comes to that, we could have the champion win a special reward and/or freedom meaning if he is good the slavemaster would rather see him forfeit so he can bring more money in later. Ofcourse the thing there would be then everybody would forfeit but, if the rules are set to give the champion combantant to decide wether to fight or not that would work. Ofcourse there would be rules had to set it up and enforce it or else there wouldnt be much.

Mixing characterfreedom and stuff can be hard sometimes when talking about slaves in this thing. Right now I'm just trying to make it lucerative for players to participate since having only four slaves would be boring eh? We could even have team matches like 3v3 or 2v2.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Two seperate tournaments would be a good way to go about it. One emote fighting, the other PvP. Two champion type ranks and rewards.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm stoked right now! We need to do this and great suggestion Vaell, would make it a lot simpler. Might have a friend of mine come back to RP for this.. Might have to tell him to tone down the references to Gladiator though.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Goody goody, wonder if there will be a real character getting kidnapped for this and being forced to fight one day.. Of course with permission OOC.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am

Okay. if this thing will have any legs to stand on I need a organiser for the Horde aswell, going to try one event first, need everything at the moment. The date will be sometime after the Rp-PvP campaign, most likely after new year.

If interested you will PM me with the following details:
Name of character and charactername Possibly alts and such incase I need to whisper you.

Role what role do you want to have. Be it slaver gladiator or something else.

competition Which competition do you or your gladiators want to participate in? There are two contests, emote duel(only 1v1) and PvP(1v1 2v2 and 3v3) Some contests will likely not be there if there isn't enough people that go for it.

If slaver/gladiator: Who is/are your master/gladiators?
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 am

Drop the slave bit and you're good to go.

Remember that arenas are a thing in Azeroth and Outland, and they are fought in for sport. By creating this roman model of slaves and slavers you're needlessly complicating the model, and straying further away from an element of the game you would be better off using to your advantage.

It sounds really cool and entertaining, but keep it real, yo.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Well, what can be done is: have it being able for slavers as some people might want to have it like that. So it should be optional I guess. When I thought the idea out I mostly took my pre-existing knowledge out which about arenas and such in lore is basicly the comics.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:11 pm

About emote-tournament, i disagree with reading the text walls getting boring. In the past, Blades for Hire used to organize '[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]' Tournaments, which were roll-based(to speed them up) emote fighting tournaments. By having the combatants and spectators in separate group (not to see rolls), it was actually very thrilling on watch and bet on who would win. Watching emotes may not be as fast-paced as Dueling, but it can be just as interesting, but what whoever likes is always a personal opinion.

You can have both your Slaves and Slave Masters, and the non-Slave Gladiator Champions, your traditional "Arena Team" ingame. Keep options open and various, and as you said, some people might be interested in Roleplaying slaves. Besides, If the character gets boring to play or you want to try something else, you can easily kill it off.

I am also not sure if i agree with Death on loss. A humiliating loss and beaten into pulp can be just as dramatic as death. Death may be close and ever-present, but if losing any one battle means the end of the character, it doesn't allow very much time for character growth. Keep death optional, and it will add even more dramatic when a character actually dies, due of it unpredictable nature.

Having death optional also do encourage having Main characters kidnapped and thrown into the ring. Death will be near, death will be present, and will allow character development, but is not being forced on.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I'd gladly get involved and help in get these going, so please contact me either in PM or ingame, but i am not going to lead or officer to any guild - just to make that clear. (I already lead one guild, and it is enough, is why)
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Well, the idea was that the death thing would be in the championship match so to speak, giving it a risk of sorts making it far more exciting. It is all about risk aint it? And also, the championship match which is supposed to be the most exciting match of the season would really benefit from this aswell as giving time for some character development.

and we create two tournements so people can choose so that if they like emote/roll combat instead of PvP they can still be part of the fighting rp. Will need to find a way to explain that IC though, and yes I will whisper you sometime probably today if I'm not too busy with other stuff. Still got lots of time until the concept is supposed to be fully developed and ready for a test drive.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:38 pm

If you're taking inspiration from the Romans, you should know that they rarely actually got killed in the arena. At most times they were given the thumb up.
This was especially true between the greatest of their gladiators, the better they fought the more unlikely their deaths became. Those that were given the thumb down were usually given it because they didn't fight well, putting on a poor show that disappointed the crowds. Either that or they were hated/disliked.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Wether it is death or embaracement, Helmut would probebly want a part in this, as a promoter/sponsor of sorts. Could be a good businessopportunity. Could maybe set up a sort of gambling/betting service if needed.
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Drop the slave bit and you're good to go.

Remember that arenas are a thing in Azeroth and Outland, and they are fought in for sport. By creating this roman model of slaves and slavers you're needlessly complicating the model, and straying further away from an element of the game you would be better off using to your advantage.

It sounds really cool and entertaining, but keep it real, yo.
Also remember that Arena slaves are also a thing in Azeroth when looking at canonical sorces. (in this case the horrid comics about Varian)
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Having ideas from all over the place, really. Just trying to figure out a concept that would be enjoyable for an audience to watch and hopefully give people a reason to get out of Stormwind for example, since Stormwind really gets boring at times. Still need a main Horde organiser though.

Good to see someone being able to help out with the IC side of the coin. I think Helmut would be perfect for the job,
and good that people show interest.

The current areas I have in mind that are around are currently:

Blade's Edge arena No flaws that I know of except it's an ogre infested place.

Nagrand Arena Though I havent checked it out yet, might be something hindering that which I'm unaware of.

The crucible of carnage This would only be duels or Horde vs Alliance teams

Cage thing in gadgetzan Might be too small and only duels.

Gurubashi arena: Highly likable to have gank issues.

Dire Maul Duels only or Horde vs Alliance teams.

Feel free to tell of more places, they will need to be of a certain size, be somewhat open, and accesable by both factions. The more there merrier right?
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Gurubashi Arena is also highly likable to have a pack of rabbit Gurubashi trolls chargning you while yelling Blood! Fire! Death! For them to feast on your corpses after a brief slaughter.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Muzjhath wrote:Gurubashi Arena is also highly likable to have a pack of rabbit Gurubashi trolls chargning you while yelling Blood! Fire! Death! For them to feast on your corpses after a brief slaughter.
They don't seem to do that every night when Booty By holds tournaments there...
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next