Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

13. Lessons of the Past

Go down

13. Lessons of the Past Empty 13. Lessons of the Past

Post by Fenuviel/Eidan Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 am

Darksworn stared at the lifeless face of Nathen Soulblaze for a moment with a strange smile. Even in the pale moonlight, Nathen seemed far too pale. Far too lifeless. He was dead, truly. There was the crazed malice present in the Elf's expression, but also what seemed to be fear, and a lack of understanding. Nathen's face was almost at peace. There was no anger, not even fear, as though he had expected it. Wanted it? And why?! His last words echoed in Darksworn's mind, haunting him. No! Why couldn't Nathen have cursed him, used his last breath to spew some insult, some empty threat?

He pulled the metal claws from the man's chest with a sickening sound, watching the fresh blood drip onto the grass beside him. This was different than before. There was no calm, blissful emptiness that had followed the last time he had killed a man. His mind was racing, his heart pounding. Why was he afraid? Or perhaps it wasn't fear. Was it... remorse?

Darksworn found himself now quite a distance from Nathen. He had walked away, but again, he found himself facing the man, watching him. Uncertain what he was expecting from the limp form laying peacefully in the grass. As though he were stargazing, like that one night not so long ago, when they had talked as friends. Except for the glimmer of crimson on his lips, seeping from the wounds in his chest. Crimson blossoms appearing on the cloth of his tunic. The only colour that stuck out against the pale blues of the night. Darksworn was lulled by it, soothed by the morbid beauty of it, until a voice nearly caused him to jump, though he did not move at all.

"Good work, apprentice,"

A strange grin slowly spread across Darksworn's lips as he turned, looking up at the dark figure of Shagrath.
"Don't make it sound as though I did it for you," Darksworn almost sneered.
"I don't care why it was done as long as what I want happens,"
Darksworn took a moment, almost a genuine flicker of surprise showing in his eyes as he peered more closely at his 'master'.
"You wanted him dead? And yet, I seem to remember you calling him a friend,"
Shagrath's eyes remained on the corpse in the distance, grinning slightly before he looked back to his apprentice.
"Do you doubt that I would lie to keep things in my favour?"
Darksworn's grin broadened, and then faded as he held Shagrath in a more serious gaze. He didn't doubt, no. But it was easy enough to suspect then that Shagrath had lied to Heartsong many times, to keep things in his favour. And like the good little boy he was, Heartsong always ate them up, whether he knew it or not, for it was easier to accept the illusions than face the truth.

"He could see through every one of my lies... and yet, he did not stop me," Darksworn suddenly murmured. Shagrath let his gaze move from his apprentice to the dead man and back.
"Don't let it get to your head," he replied simply before turning away, walking back the way he came. Darksworn followed, his gaze appraising of the taller Elf, and yet, the hatred was unmasked. This was the reason for Heartsong's strength. Or it had been, until the Elf had started to replace him. It made Darksworn's job easier. He knew he could not kill Shagrath, but Nathen he could. Fira he could. Jaqien... he could not. And Shagrath...?

"Since it seems you have decided to help strengthen Heartsong, I must do what I can to weaken him," Darksworn muttered. Shagrath's slow pace came to a stop as he looked over his shoulder. Darksworn circled him, slowly coming to face him, while Shagrath's eyes followed his movement.
"What makes you think I've decided anything?"
"The vow you made! I heard it!"

And so it came that Shagrath made Darksworn an offer as well. To serve him as Heartsong did, and in return... anything he wanted. But even Darksworn was not sure what that was, besides his freedom.
Anything you want.
Anything.
It would have been so simple to ask Shagrath to help him destroy Heartsong, but he was beginning to realize it was not possible. "Destroy Jaqien," he could say. They both knew it was that easy. But he couldn't. Couldn't bring himself to say it. Damn and blast. Had he really let the human seduce him? Instead he glowered at Shagrath. It left him the choice to serve or face Shagrath's punishment. Possibly.. death?
"It seems I have little choice... but I loathe to serve you. Lorindal was a far better man.." The last statement was spoken more quietly, and it seemed Darksworn was not even aware of his speaking them. But Shagrath did not question it immediately.
"What can't I give you that he could?" the words finally came. Darksworn blinked, looking slightly surprised, but he forced his eyes to narrow, catching Shagrath in a glare before he turned on his heel, stalking away.
"Pathetic..." Darksworn muttered. He heard the sounds of Shagrath's boots moving away. Good.

---------------------------------------------

Shadows seemed often to follow his master now that he had possession of the Sphere. Unnatural, almost tangible. He sat high on a hill in Elwynn Forest, looking out over the trees. But he was facing towards the lake, where he knew Nathen's body still lie. Stargazing.

"I warned you,"
But then the shadows clouded him, seemed to loom over him, whispering softly and snickering at him even before Shagrath had fully reached him. Darksworn stood warily, glaring over his shoulder at the taller Night Elf.
"I have not betrayed you," Darksworn sneered.
"Too late now," he spoke in a low tone. Shagrath did not make threats, as he said. He made vague, unspoken promises. It was the tone that made a shiver run down Darksworn's spine, even when he had no idea what Shagrath might do to him. But he hadn't refused. In fact, he had intended fully to continue serving Shagrath. But he couldn't help his tongue, to insult him. Before he could try to protest, Shagrath spoke again. "Though perhaps it was better now to find out what a fool you are than later..."
Darksworn drew his lips together once more, frowning with contempt as he eyed Shagrath. "Refusing my generous offer wasn't smart... You leave me no choice but to bring Heartsong back,"
"You can't," he sneered, but tried to break from the Elf's grip on his shoulder all the same.
"Good bye, fool," Shagrath replied simply with a calm decisiveness that made Darksworn almost frightened. Suddenly the shadows seemed to jump at him like a beast, fully engulfing him, searing. He cried out in pain, falling to his knees, but the hand on his shoulder kept him from falling further.
< Apprentice.... > Shagrath's voice echoed in his mind. He was trying to awaken Heartsong! Trembling in pain, Darksworn managed to lift his head, eyes focusing with a venomous glare upon Shagrath.
"You really thought you could stand up to me?" Shagrath spoke to the trembling Elf.
"It wasn't my intent to fight you..." But still, Heartsong did not immediately respond; only after a long pause was there a faint voice, distorted, dazed.
<....w-what..?>
"Shut up!" Darksworn cried out, trying in one last attempt to wrench his shoulder out of Shagrath's grip. Shagrath only squeezed more tightly, causing the younger Elf to whimper in pain.
<Wake up..>
<...Lor...?> Heartsong's faint voice responded, not finishing the name in an almost fearful manner.
<It's me, Shagrath.>
<Oh... master...>
Feeling his grip upon consciousness slipping, Darksworn growled, trying to slip from Shagrath's grip, but he was too weak, and it caused too much pain. The growl faded, sounding almost like a sob as he slumped to a sitting position. But the Elf relaxed, the anger in his expression ebbing, his face hardening, though his eyes showed confusion. Shagrath released the grip on his apprentice's shoulder, but kept his hand there as the younger Elf looked at his claws in confusion. The blood upon them had grown cold, but it was still fresh. He dropped them to the ground as he stood.
"Everything's alright," Shagrath murmured. Fenuviel couldn't help but find this slightly disturbing, to hear Shagrath speaking words of comfort. He didn't even know why he should be reassured. "Welcome back, Fenuviel,"
"W-What happened..?" he murmured in question, looking intently at Shagrath.
"Nothing... I had a little chat with Darksworn..."
Fenuviel's eyes widened slightly. He had no recollection of it, of how he had gotten there, or of running into Shagrath. It had been quite some time since Darksworn had managed such power...
"But.. I did not even see.. I didn't notice.. what happened..?" he fumbled over his words, too many questions.
"Doesn't matter, he's gone now. Calm yourself,"
"I am calm," Fenuviel replied with a sigh, picking up one set of claws as he began to wipe the blood from them. Shagrath bore no wounds though. Whose was it? He didn't ask. "But I have heard those words before..."
"Don't worry, I'll deal with him," Shagrath replied. Fenuviel couldn't help but trust the certainty in Shagrath's voice.
"If... As you say, master," He finally agreed, bowing his head slightly in a respectful gesture. There was a silence for a moment as Shagrath stared out over the forest.

"I made a promise once," he murmured. Fenuviel looked to him with question in his eyes. "I've yet to fulfill it,"
"What are you speaking of?"
"I made it to an Elf, who was once like I used to be as well. A promise... to show him something of my past," Shagrath continued. Fenuviel stared. He knew he was the 'Elf'.
"Do you... mean to keep it then?" Fenuviel questioned tentatively. Shagrath nodded slightly without looking at him.
"We will travel tomorrow. Pack light," Shagrath commanded. Fenuviel nodded in return. "I will call for you when the time is right,"
Fenuviel nodded again before bending at the waist to give a bow of respect. Shagrath saluted him before turning away towards Stormwind. Fenuviel watched him as he disappeared past the gates before turning to look out over the forest again. He found himself facing the lake where he had once spoken to Nathen and watched the stars. Though it had grown later, the night seemed lighter, as though Shagrath had taken the shadows with him.

-To be continued.-

Fenuviel/Eidan
Fenuviel/Eidan

Character sheet
Name: Fenuviel Mooncrow
Title: Watcher

Back to top Go down