Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ability Affects on a Death Knight

+27
Tachal
Tuomas/Decurius
Amaryl
Helmut
Krogon Devilstep
Coppersocket
Feral / Blackfall
Rae Wulfgnar
Beladon
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Ralegh
erwtenpeller
Seranita
Littlepip
Zaraj
Lavian
Drustai
Exigua
Lexgrad
Allonia_Miral
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Vaell
Thelos
Melnerag
siegmund
Kristeas Sunbinder
EShadowsong
31 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Ability Affects on a Death Knight - Page 5 Empty Re: Ability Affects on a Death Knight

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Dréfurion wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:You can silence a rogue.

In fact, I'm sure a rogue would love that.

+1

Ha! Very Happy
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Ability Affects on a Death Knight - Page 5 Empty Re: Ability Affects on a Death Knight

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:35 pm

siegmund wrote:
Lexgrad wrote:Ok Dru.  If everyone is magical and abilities can be canon I ask the following.

Why can you not silence a huntard or a rogue? Smile

Lex plz. IT'S OBVIOUS. We're just -that- awsome.

And who said ya can't, unless you mean...

Game mechanics.

It's been said time and time again you can take a lot of things from the game, the lore, the lore other there, your smug attitude and whatnot. But as Dru said Blizz lore is like things with some sense mashed up and something added so that it doesn't make full sense anymore.

Sure in RP anything magical can be silenced or whatever, no one stated you can't.

Ah I agree, yet drubee was quite forthright that it is cannon not just game play. I make this statement to show a paradox that disproves the notion that canon and gameplay are the same.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Ok Dru.  If everyone is magical and abilities can be canon I ask the following.

Mages use incantations and such in their casting which actually requires speaking, rogue spells are instant and don't require anything like incantations.
And if you doubt rogues use some form of magic you really haven't looked at their spells.
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Silence prevents incantations. If your spell doesn't include incantations, silence doesn't work.

Likewise, interrupts cannot interrupt instant spells.

The better question would be: Why can't Dispel magic dispel things like Shadow Blades, Cloak of Shadows, and enchantments on armor/weapons.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Well gameplay says it cant Dru so is that canon? If it is then you have to put up with lay Magic users who can not be silenced dispelled or interupted, where as professional mages can with ease. If it isnt canon then logically heroic leap is also not canon my rule.

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Well gameplay says it cant Dru so is that canon? If it is then you have to put up with lay Magic users who can not be silenced dispelled or interupted, where as professional mages can with ease. If it isnt canon then logically heroic leap is also not canon my rule.

Silence only works on incantation spells (verbal components). Spells without incantations cannot be silenced.

Instant cast spells cannot be interrupted. All magic that rogues etc use are instant, and therefore cannot be interrupted.

Dispels primarily affect buffs to the person, rather than items, which could explain why things like Shadow Blades (and enchanted armor/weapons for any class) cannot be dispelled. Dispels are a very inconsistent area in-game, though.

Varian used Heroic Leap in an event "cinematic". Not mechanics. Actual Heroic Leap, from the ground to the top of a dragon. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it canon.

Also:

Spoiler:
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Lex, stop being a dumbass.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Forgive me erwte, I know at times it is hard to tell when I am angry, trolling or serious. ATM I am serious okay!

@Drubez, See I would say that the silenceing mechanic is for game play. It is a situation where a professional mage or a battle priest for example can be stopped from using magic whilst "nieve" or lay magic users can still use their magic which is illogical to my mind, it should be a lot easier to stop a lesser magic user than a battle mage.

Furthermore to attack the argument that game paly is lore, each patch spells get changed by Blizz, old ones are no longer in the game, new ones appear and the affects of each change. Is this new canon and a retcon or what in your opinion? It might seem pedantic, yet if there is an exception for any of this and game mechanics are not lore then a degree of room must be left for all abilities rather than acting like they are all canon.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Forgive me erwte, I know at times it is hard to tell when I am angry, trolling or serious.  ATM I am serious okay!  

@Drubez, See I would say that the silenceing mechanic is for game play.  It is a situation where a professional mage or a battle priest for example can be stopped from using magic whilst "nieve" or lay magic users can still use their magic which is illogical to my mind, it should be a lot easier to stop a lesser magic user than a battle mage.  

Can they still use them? Hmmm.

Silence effect is a general term for abilities that prevent a target from casting spells for a short duration of time. This mainly affects casters, although some other abilities (such as warriors' shouts and [Thunder Clap]) are also considered spells and so are prevented by silence effects. In PvP, silence effects are usually subject to diminishing returns, while in PvE many bosses and specific mobs are immune to silence effects. - WoWpedia

You'll also note that almost every Silence ability entails preventing the victim from speaking in some manner. The majority of spells require verbal incantations, which is why it works on so many spells (but not all). It's also why it works on Shouts and Thunder Clap, because these require sound (whether or not you believe they entail use of some magic), establishing that Silence is about blocking sound.

So, I'd assume any spell that is prepared without verbal incantations (through use of, say, the Silent Spell metamagic from WoW RPG) would be immune to Silence, as it was in the WoW RPG. Rogues especially would likely be ones to prepare any kind of magic they're using as Silent Spells (because they're stealthers). Probably Hunters, too, seeing as hunting requires being quiet.

Furthermore to attack the argument that game paly is lore, each patch spells get changed by Blizz, old ones are no longer in the game, new ones appear and the affects of each change.  Is this new canon and a retcon or what in your opinion?  It might seem pedantic, yet if there is an exception for any of this and game mechanics are not lore then a degree of room must be left for all abilities rather than acting like they are all canon.

I personally assume it to be alterations and refinements of the spells. That's how it's done in EVE (where every mechanic is explicitly stated to be IC and all changes made are given lore reasoning).

The Legacy of the Masters book seems to support that belief, where it describes new abilities as the result of ongoing refinements and research.

"In the wake of the Cataclysm, the rising tensions between the Horde and Alliance have driven the greatest heroes of Azeroth to train for war. Warriors have readied their war banners, the Death Knights of Acherus have learned to control the undead and it is even said the Mages are researching ways to undo time itself."

(and yes, that means war banners are canon, too. Also, describes player character classes as "the greatest heroes of Azeroth.")

Last edited by Drustai on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 pm

All this makes me long for ESO.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:52 pm

Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Hath not a Death Knight eyes?
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Looks on the topic and gets interested, after that he clicks on it and almost cries while forcing himself to read too page 5 before giving up.

Its so much and I have no idea what is information and what is trash!
Someone please say the most importent facts gathered so far.

Ps. Sorry if I wrote something wrong, writing on celphone right now.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:52 am

Thorvald wrote:
Looks on the topic and gets interested, after that he clicks on it and almost cries while forcing himself to read too page 5 before giving up.

Its so much and I have no idea what is information and what is trash!
Someone please say the most importent facts gathered so far.

Ps. Sorry if I wrote something wrong, writing on celphone right now.

Read, and you'll find out. Not everything can, or should be, taken to soundbites and snippets and TLDR.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Aweng Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:17 am

Dont the death knights use a specific version of silence, the mind freeze? Concerning the verbal component of the spell, I personally imagine it to be a complete block of the mind for a short period of time. As an incapitation of the mind, as a victim of the mind-freeze, I completely consider it a temporary rending of both the verbal and somantic components of spellcasting. Perhaps too much D&D for me...
Aweng
Aweng

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 am

Mind Freeze is an interruption, not a silence. It only briefly stuns the mind with a blast of cold (like when you eat something cold too fast and it goes to your head) to interrupt current thoughts and thus stop the spell cast before it can be completed.

Ability Affects on a Death Knight - Page 5 Mind_Freeze_TCG

Strangulate is the death knight silence... and silences because it strangles you, preventing you from speaking verbal incantations. Force Choke woo.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 am

Strangulate
Shadowy tendrils constrict an enemy's throat, silencing them for 5 sec.  Non-player victim spellcasting is also interrupted for 3 sec.

Asphyxiate
Lifts an enemy target off the ground and crushes their throat with dark energy, stunning them for 5 sec.  Functions as a silence if the target is immune to stuns.
Replaces Strangulate.

Mind Freeze
Smash the target's mind with cold, interrupting spellcasting and preventing any spell in that school from being cast for 4 sec.

They do as stated by blizzard in the spell description.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I do agree that a Heroic Leap can be canon, but please rarely use it. It's meant to be an epic move for dramatic effect! It's like if Aragorn just kept throwing Gimli into battle; it's for those "NOOOO!" *dives to save someone* moments.

As for that pic with Battle Shout - that's actually a DK, so it's the other one. Icey blue mist around legs + coming from mouth and skull on chest.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Vaell wrote:As for that pic with Battle Shout - that's actually a DK, so it's the other one. Icey blue mist around legs + coming from mouth and skull on chest.
Its a warrior.
Ability Affects on a Death Knight - Page 5 Battle_Shout
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree with Vaell that cool abilities are more for cool moments and when in dire need.

But i do not agree with his card reading or icon seen abilities. That's obviously a warrior icon top right! Also lots of classes got Skull armor.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm

siegmund wrote:I agree with Vaell that cool abilities are more for cool moments and when in dire need.
I don't think anyone would argue against that.

Unless they're used for comic relief. Comic relief is always acceptable What a Face
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:27 pm

ta fuck, that looks too much like a DK. Either way, it looks like it didn't work. The abomination is about to cut him a new one.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Vaell wrote:ta fuck, that looks too much like a DK. Either way, it looks like it didn't work. The abomination is about to cut him a new one.

Warrior tier 3.

Ability Affects on a Death Knight - Page 5 Tier3-10
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 pm

A.K.A. "That tier that looks like a DK".
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Ability Affects on a Death Knight - Page 5 Wrath_Tauren_Female-482x400
The guy's wearing Wrath gear.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5