Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas to benefit the realm

+6
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Sohan
Ledgic
Cid
Arabella Greene
Raenmar
10 posters

Go down

Ideas to benefit the realm Empty Ideas to benefit the realm

Post by Gilran Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Hey there, before you think this is another thread about “Roleplay is dying, we got to do something!”, I can honestly say this is not what the thread is about. My sole intention with this thread is to share Ideas that arose in my mind during the time, in hope that some could go “live” and contribute to the realm’s well-being in general. Because, who doesn’t like to see new Roleplayers on our realm, wishing to explore our unique server lore and get involved with our well-established guilds, and join the on-going world plots?
During my stay on Defias, I noticed that the server is not as well promoted as other realms may be, yet it poses the potential. Every roleplay server is unique and has its both good and bad attributes, yet I do not see the reason as to why we should not promote the server in what it has to offer.
Posting roleplay related threads on forums were a good thing to start, but I think more can be done than that. The suggestions I am going to list below, I already posted once in a thread, however I have decided to highlight them by making a thread in order to bring those ideas of mine on the discussion as I always like to hear what others have to say.

- Use of social network tools:
I have suggested of DefiasRP going Twitter, because a lot of us use and read Twitter nowadays. Posting regularly about realm’s on going plots, events, stories, discussions etc., might not only benefit to the new Roleplayers to get involved, but would connect the community even more, by making people aware of what is happening around the server, outside of their roleplay boundaries.
The access to the DefiasRP Twitter account would be given to those who apply for it and are trusted members of the community (would be good if at least one member from each guild would be posting about his guild), why it shouldn’t be given to everyone, would be simply to avoid the abuse, like the one that tends to happen on the Alliance LFRP channel. I am also uncertain whether you can log from multiple IPs into the same account on the Twitter, if you cannot, then it might posses a problem.
As for other social networks, I have not considered them as much as Twitter, but I guess a Facebook group could be a possibility as well, perhaps even better because you can avoid the abuse.

- Mumble voice server
I am planning on buying a Virtual Private Server for 4-5€ a month and then setting up a mumble server for 100+ user slots. However, the server won’t be “official” but that doesn’t matter really, it is far cheaper than buying the original one for big amount of euros. Though I am going to roll with this idea only if there will be people interested in using it daily, else it is not worth it. The mumble server could be a positive thing for the realm’s community, though there is a high chance of unwanted guests appearing with the sole purpose to troll. Thus, I am a bit uncertain about this idea and would be very much interested in hearing opinions.

- Machinima
I am aware that we have many talented people within our community, thus I think we should put our creative minds together and perhaps create a Video trailer for Defias Brotherhood, similar to the one that Spyre made two years ago. With a lot of awesome things being planned and in motion, I think it would be cool to have another video like that, to promote the server!
If anyone would be interested in attempting to such, please do state so in the comment. I am sure quite everyone could come in useful.
Essentially, teaser trailers to promote the server’s events could have a positive effect as well, though I doubt everyone is handy with making videos and machinima. I am clearly not one of them, regardless It would be good to know which people are skilled in making such, and willing to help those who do not posse such skills.

I had some other bunch of ideas as well, but I did not mention them because of many reasons, or I don’t remember them at this very moment. Anyhow, I would like to hear everyone’s opinions on the above ideas, and do share your own as well, if they are in any way related to the topic.

Last edited by Gilran on Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gilran
Gilran

Character sheet
Name: Gilran Steelfist
Title: Envoy of Ironforge

http://forums.threehammers.org/

Back to top Go down

Ideas to benefit the realm Empty Re: Ideas to benefit the realm

Post by siegmund Wed May 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Not sure for mumble, but i like the machinima idea. I know one is being made on nelfs, no idea how that is going though. Tanver was making it.

But yeah something would be cool like that.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 pm

I am quite experienced with Sony Vegas (video editing software) incase anyone want to create a Machinima or alike. Just send me a PM and we will talk about it!
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://canthandlemyswag.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 pm

I don't really want to be the one filming as I haven't got my fraps installed but I don't mind helping direct one. I'm pretty profficient with all things video (bar special effects).

EDIT: Sohan, get Premiere Pro. Better to learn. Or Lightworks.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Vaell wrote:EDIT: Sohan, get Premiere Pro. Better to learn. Or Lightworks.
I've been using Sony Vegas for 3-4 years and doesn't have the motivation nor time to learn another software Wink
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 pm

During my stay on Defias, I noticed that the server is not as well promoted as other realms may be, yet it poses the potential. Every roleplay server is unique and has its both good and bad attributes, yet I do not see the reason as to why we should not promote the server in what it has to offer.

This is what I've been trying to say. I wish I had your way with words, Gilran :')

Use of social network tools

I like this idea a lot. I don't use Twitter myself but if we had a community account I'd definitely post from it.

Mumble voice server

Personally I hate voice chat (I generally just listen, feel awkward speaking) but I like the idea and I'd use it regularly, even if just to listen. It'd be fun! It could also be used to coordinate between guilds and the like (since we never did get a Skype call between leaders).

A somewhat related idea that we had on Ravenholdt is an internet radio. That was really popular. They mentioned upcoming events, interviewed guilds and players, etc. I remember one night they got like 8 people on and it was a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. AD also had something similar which was really successful (until, I hear, they made people start paying to DJ, then everyone left).

I mentioned that in a Skype call some months ago and a few people liked the idea, so if there's any interest it might be worth looking into. Though licensing and server costs are like £100+/year.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Raenmar wrote:A somewhat related idea that we had on Ravenholdt is an internet radio. That was really popular. They mentioned upcoming events, interviewed guilds and players, etc. I remember one night they got like 8 people on and it was a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. AD also had something similar which was really successful (until, I hear, they made people start paying to DJ, then everyone left).

I mentioned that in a Skype call some months ago and a few people liked the idea, so if there's any interest it might be worth looking into. Though licensing and server costs are like £100+/year.
Could always do it over a streaming service? Like twitch or something. Just have screenshots looping and then talk?
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Wed May 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Sohan wrote:
Vaell wrote:EDIT: Sohan, get Premiere Pro. Better to learn. Or Lightworks.
I've been using Sony Vegas for 3-4 years and doesn't have the motivation nor time to learn another software Wink
But... it's crap!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilran Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I have SV as well, but I was never good at it, probably because I did not devote myself fully in to it, nor have I been good at taking videos, but that is on my computer to blame.
The idea is to get everyone that can contribute to the making of video in any way, to gather a group and write a scenario, gather material and produce the epicness!

As for voice chat, Radio doesn't sounds that bad idea at all imo. As for Skype voice calls, I think I'll need to explore that a bit, since first time I hear about it.
Gilran
Gilran

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Could always do it over a streaming service? Like twitch or something. Just have screenshots looping and then talk?

Yeah, this could definitely work. It'd be more of a stream/podcast than a radio, but it'd be a good place to start, at least.

I'll make a thread to check for interest. Could anyone copy it to the realm forum for me? Not subbed right now.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Thu May 16, 2013 1:36 am

Raenmar wrote:A somewhat related idea that we had on Ravenholdt is an internet radio. That was really popular. They mentioned upcoming events, interviewed guilds and players, etc. I remember one night they got like 8 people on and it was a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. AD also had something similar which was really successful (until, I hear, they made people start paying to DJ, then everyone left).
Awww man, nostalgia trip! I'd forgotten about Radio Ravenholdt! Very Happy It was frickin' amazballs!
Hmmm if we had voice chat I'd end up just talking to myself on it all day. :/ People tend to just shut up and listen when I am on skype...I usually end up chatting shit for hours (until I become deep in concentration).

Edit: You could always find out how they ran Radio Ravenholdt, it was very specific. There was special guests, playlists, other musical garb. And they also didn't play Death metal 24/7...which is a good thing. I don't understand why like 80% of gamers are metal heads?
No one ever heard of Beethoven? Razz
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 am

Arabella Greene wrote:No one ever heard of Beethoven? Razz

Moonlight Sonata <3
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 am

We have found that having voice-chat going during rp events spoils the immersion so we tend not to use it a great deal. However some sort of chat such as a Skype group for GL's during large events would be good,just to help coordinate things.

I like the idea of a Twitter account, as long as it remains focused and doesn't end up with people using it to bounce around in-jokes between themselves (like happens on forums too often). I don't think Twitter cares about where the IP is for posting. A quick summary from GL's/Officers on plot lines every so often would be cool and Twitter lends itself beautifully to short summaries!

A Machinima to promote the server is a great idea - I'd love it to be equally faction balanced and show the diversity of rp from pure rp (patrolling SW for example) to the small rp/pvp skirmishes. Had a great time stalking and fighting Raenmar's patrol one time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 am

Vaell wrote:I don't really want to be the one filming as I haven't got my fraps installed but I don't mind helping direct one. I'm pretty profficient with all things video (bar special effects).

EDIT: Sohan, get Premiere Pro. Better to learn. Or Lightworks.

FCP-X - Though sadly I don't have that at home. Used to use after effects for the rest, but there are better programs out there!

Machinima would be a great way to bring the server together for a bit anyway!
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 pm

But I like SV, Vaell Sad

But yes, fair point, is in indeed shit but it does its job. I've tried to learn After Effects in the past but never really got around to use it frequently as I already knew SV and it was much quicker and easier for me to use. I used to edit Call of Duty montages and OCE's (one clip edit for all you non-editing people) back in the days. Never reached more than 800 subscribers on le YouTube though.
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Sohan wrote:But I like SV, Vaell Sad

But yes, fair point, is in indeed shit but it does its job. I've tried to learn After Effects in the past but never really got around to use it frequently as I already knew SV and it was much quicker and easier for me to use. I used to edit Call of Duty montages and OCE's (one clip edit for all you non-editing people) back in the days. Never reached more than 800 subscribers on le YouTube though.
Back when I was doing youtube, I used Final Cut 7 a lot. Not a fan of X and I don't own a mac atm (I don't really plan to soon, either!) so I'm on premiere now. Back when I did youtube vids, I let my friend edit a lot of the stuff because he filmed it and I'm sure he did it on windows movie maker! People didn't demand cool effects when I was doing it though, we got to 10k subscribers off good ol' windows MM
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Thu May 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Vaell wrote:Back when I was doing youtube, I used Final Cut 7 a lot. Not a fan of X and I don't own a mac atm (I don't really plan to soon, either!) so I'm on premiere now. Back when I did youtube vids, I let my friend edit a lot of the stuff because he filmed it and I'm sure he did it on windows movie maker! People didn't demand cool effects when I was doing it though, we got to 10k subscribers off good ol' windows MM
If the content is good people won't care what software you used, they are just happy to watch a good video! Smile Youtube lesson right there peeps! Quality > Software used
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 6:27 am

Read an interview with Wowcrendor yesterday - he uses Sony Vega. If he can do such brilliant work, don't see the problem with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Fri May 17, 2013 7:43 am

I think all the above is a great idea.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 am

Arli wrote:Read an interview with Wowcrendor yesterday - he uses Sony Vega. If he can do such brilliant work, don't see the problem with it.
I loved my old simplistic phone for all its features before getting a smart phone.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 am

Saw this vid posted on here and watched it it's fun and this is under the description:

The movie was assembled in Sony Vegas Pro, and the in-game footage is all from Doomhammer - with just ONE druid, a still camera, a bazillion takes and some clever masking. Additionals models are FRAPS'd using WoW Model Viewer. Rattling PC fan and blue screens of death sold separately.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilran Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Alright, all those who are interested in making the video presentation of our realm, do add me on Skype (Bole_666) and I should put the convo up by the end of the week and we shall discuss further plans. Those who do have me on Skype, poke me and let me know you are interested.

What people are welcome you may wonder, well anyone that thinks himself able of helping with the video in any way.

Gilran
Gilran

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm

I wouldn't know how to help at all, but sounds awesome. Would be great to see something like that Smile
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

With ideas with what would be in it probably *Shrug* well if any help is needed i can help, though probably more in term of with chars or so, not really the best in making videos.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm currently VERY busy with exams and shit so I can't put any effort into this for at least another 2-3 weeks.
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down