Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread!

+7
Thrakha
Quin
Lexgrad
Amaryl
Elssa
Vaell
Sullee Swiftspeech
11 posters

Go down

Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread! Empty Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:13 am

With Vangrel's movie thread regularly among the top ones in the forum section, I figured it was time for a new book thread. While necroing an old one might have done it, the most relevant I could remember ever seeing in use is "the books you are reading" or something like. That is not what this thread is about. It is about the books you recommend that others read. I'll open with a few myself, and hopefully we'll get some interesting posts in time Wink

The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
Back in my childhood, after having The Hobbit read to me, I was convinced that I'd never find something like it (I wasn't aware that the Hobbit was just the prequel to lotr, nor that the hobbit and lotr had fathered a genre). Generally I'd look for books with dragons on their covers in the library, but that tactic soon proved inefficient. It would seem bad authors used dragons too. Then... One day... My mother brought me this. She'd been holding it back until I'd read a few more books and aged a little, to get a better perspective. I was captured from the first page. I'd read down red and green pages, with fancy decorative first letters in every chapter, having the most immersive reading experience of my life. In the following years, though, I'd dismiss the experience as "a childish book, that is good... for children". Having re-read it recently, I have to admit, my dismissal was foolish. The Neverending Story is one of the best fantasy books out there, and it doesn't even borrow much (read STEAL) from Middle Earth.

If you read it however, find a copy in green and red with fancy letters at the start of chapters. That's how it was supposed to be read.

Edit: Do note that the movie based on the book is about as bad as if you'd called a random MacGyver episode LOTR. It's so far from the qualities of the original work that it can't be said to be same thing at all. It's a shame, though.

Watchmen
A complex read. While technically a Graphic Novel, not a book, I choose to dismiss that for now. It has hard covers, like books. Also, like really good books, it forces the reader to think. Watchmen has a powerful set of characters narrating, and the regular interludes in the main story by such things as the comic-book within the graphic novel about pirates, really helps flesh out the alternate universe in which Watchmen's story takes place. When I started reading this, I expected a superhero-story. What I found however, was something a lot deeper: A story about human nature and the times we live in, and it is a powerful story indeed.

The movie based on the graphic novel gives me the chills, it is beautiful, and even so, it can't really compare to the real thing.

More to come once I get time to get all warm and fuzzy about the great reads of the past, however, what books would you recommend for others to read?

Back to top Go down

Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread! Empty Re: Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread!

Post by Sullee Swiftspeech Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:09 pm

For the dutchies.. 'Ontdekking van de Hemel'. Its also translated but I don't know if the quality is any good... English version is 'The Discovery of Heaven'...
It's a weighty book and it kep me thinking for quite some time after I had finished it. It doesn't really fit a genre because it is far wider. It's existential, psychological, sociological and at times even feels like an adventure-story.
Worth the time that is invested in reading a 900 page masterpiece.
Sullee Swiftspeech
Sullee Swiftspeech

Back to top Go down

Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread! Empty Re: Recommended reading: A fresh, new book thread!

Post by Vaell Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Right, you bastards, I'd like some books to read. I'd like to pick up a bunch more fiction and I'm more fond of a trilogy than a single novel (though, I'd read one if it had such a mindblowing story that I'd leave it with my jaw dropped). I don't really mind if it is fantasy or sci-fi but something bloody, war-filled and exciting! I'm not much of a book reader - I can hammer through one if I get started and I can hammer through a difficult read if it is gripping enough.

TL;DR - Include some great fiction in your recommendations!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Would be easier to recommend stuff for you if you list a few things you've enjoyed earlier, Vaell. You know, kind of like youtube, except manually recommended.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elssa Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 pm

John Carter of Mars!!!
love it love it love it!
it's got adventure,mystery,romance and hunor in it Smile)
A virginian sldier ends up on the planet mars and encounteres all sort of strange adventures and then he falls in love <3
there are 11 books in total, i'm on book nr 4 )o) whoop!

Elssa

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Clydas wrote:Would be easier to recommend stuff for you if you list a few things you've enjoyed earlier, Vaell. You know, kind of like youtube, except manually recommended.
I honestly can't remember a lot of what I've read when I was younger. I've read fan fiction of various worlds which was semi-enjoyable (e.g. Halo/Starcraft) but I always felt the writing was a bit dull and the stories were not as compelling. I just enjoyed it because I knew the world and could pick the book up and create the setting instantly. When I was younger, I loved the Darren Shan books. I read them again when I was like 18 (a few years back) and still enjoyed the world, but found the writing a bit childish. I've read through the Eragon books and, again, they're a little too young for my taste now.

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) has been my latest big read. I've never enjoyed books as much as those and I'm looking to get stuck into a world like that again - it was full of war, plots, twists and turns. I wouldn't mind fantasy or hyper-history again; I've been recommended a vampire set of books (All I know is the first one is called 'The Passage') and also Steven Erikson books are sat on my shelf. I would probably enjoy something full of monsters (who doesn't?!) mythical. biblical (demons etc), gothic (vampires - not twilight). I'd assume I'd like sci-fi but I've barely read anything from that genre.

I suppose the main thing is just a story to get lost into that isn't really close to reality.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 pm

If Erikon is on your shelf read book until you've finished book 3 atleast.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Elssa wrote:John Carter of Mars!!!
love it love it love it!
it's got adventure,mystery,romance and hunor in it Smile)
A virginian sldier ends up on the planet mars and encounteres all sort of strange adventures and then he falls in love <3
there are 11 books in total, i'm on book nr 4 )o) whoop!

They are v good books. I quite liked the film too, dont understand why it was slated.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:45 pm

It.

Back to top Go down

Post by Quin Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm

The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Lies of Locke Lamora is a fantasy novel by Scott Lynch. It follows the adventures of a group of con artists known as the Gentlemen Bastards. They live in a city called Camorr, heavily based on late medieval Venice. The book is divided into two interspersed stories. In the present time, the Gentlemen Bastards must contend with the Grey King, a powerful figure terrorizing Camorr's criminal community. Every other chapter, however, delves into the history and mythology of Camorr, the Gentlemen Bastards, and especially the protagonist Locke Lamora.
Quin
Quin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thrakha Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Anything by Joe Abercrombie. Start with 'The Blade Itself'.

His novels combine a bleakly subversive take on classic fantasy tropes with wickedly black comedy.

Highly recommended. Strong stomach required at times.

Thrakha
Thrakha

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 pm

ok so

tess of the d'urbervilles - thomas hardy FANTASTIC story of love tragedy drama and SUFFERING beautiful you will cry. set in wessex in the 17th century i think about the hard life of a dairy maid

the mayor of casterbridge - thomas hardy a bit like the les miserables but a million times better

the scarlet letter - nathaniel hawthorne go read it a bit slow paced and boring but beautifully written again

i am very bad at describing stuff Sad just go read them theyre good!!! im very big on melodramatic tragedies im such a masochist
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seiya Shadowfury Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm

To spread some of my favourite fantasy authors out into the world:

Simon Green
Jim Butcher
R.A. Salvatore

If you want something more light hearted and very easy to read:

(Chick lit isn't really my thing, but these two are quite good)

Marian Keyes
Sophie Kinsella

Seiya Shadowfury

Character sheet
Name: Jaideth Frostborne
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:50 am

Vaell, you might like Robin Hobb's Farseer series. Been a while since I read them but they had a bit of a Game of Thrones-y feel, sparse magic, intruige, lots of violence, and some interesting characters. It follows Fitz, a royal bastard, who's adopted into the royal family under the condition that he's essentially their bitch.

Myself I just finished reading Dracula for the first time, not sure what I think in all honesty. The first half is excellent, the first chapter or so would stand alone as a fantastic horror short story. But around the midway mark it seems to lose momentum and the last few chapters I read mostly just out of commitment. I think they spent about a chapter describing everyone waiting for a telegram about a boat.
That said, it's still very very readable for its age (unlike fucking wuthering heights which I'm on now, fffffffu) and has some pretty interesting characters. Along with some fucking drippy boring ones. I did not give a single shit about Lucy for example.

Anyway, this.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:00 am

Vaell, Peter F. Hamiltons Night's Dawn Trillogy or Commonwealth saga (two books) you might enjoy.
Epic scope, quite good writing. War, politics, sex!
Some monters!

Bit heavy and big novels. (The final book in the trillogy is arund 1200 pages). Still worth the read. Science Fiction.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 am

I can actually second the suggestion Kittrina made. Read the first two or three books about, 8-10 years ago. Very interesting read. It inspired me a lot in how nobles are, considering Fitz's uncle Prince Regal is the biggest bellend ever.

If you have the time Clydas, Plato's Republic, Machiavelli's The Prince, Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes are excellent political philosophy reads.

If you're into history, I can highly recommend Simon Sebag Montefiore, while not an academic read, definitely an 'interesting' read. His two big books being about Stalin & Jerusalem.

Of course all of Stephen King's books with 'It' as mentioned above. Cell, The Stand, Carrie, so on and so forth.

Oh, and the more recently translated Night Watch books. I linked the trailer in the movie thread as well, but as you know, books beat movies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 am

I can actually second the Farseer books as well. Got some really good sequel trillgies that follow them up. Just felt like doing an original suggestion.

Ambercrombie's writing is also fantastic, Especially if you want some expectaions turned around.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down