Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stormwind Ministry of Defence

+9
Melnerag
Sadok
Crothu
Braiden
Rmuffn
Gogol
siegmund
Gilran
Valestrion
13 posters

Go down

Stormwind Ministry of Defence Empty Stormwind Ministry of Defence

Post by Valestrion Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

After some encouragement from a few people, both within the Disciples and more widely, I am considering applying for the position of Stormwind's Minister of Defence. Before I do so, I'd appreciate it if we could clarify the scope of the role. I'd welcome comments from anyone who cares to contribute as, if I were appointed, I'd be looking to find a role in the army for more guilds, and not just those who are regular visitors to Stormwind Council meetings. I'd particularly like to hear from GMs who would wish to see their guilds be part of the army. Before I commit to making an application, I'd like to know what's in store as I would probably give up leadership of the Disciples of Light in order to do the job.

Until now, the role of Minister of Defence has been a largely generic one, with little authority and few responsibilities. Geldar certainly contributed in general terms at Council Meetings but in his capacity as Minister of Defence, he did not often act as military commander in the field. Here are my views on what the role of Minister of Defence should comprise.

1. Attend War Council meetings on behalf of Stormwind
2. Act as general of the Stormwind Army in the field, during RP-PvP events
3. Organise the army at a high level, setting up the top level of the unit structure, but not appointing unit commanders who would, rather, be appointed by the members of the units.
4. Organise military-style events, including campaigns, training exercises, parades etc.
5. Liaise with leaders of member guilds to encourage inter-guild cooperation in military RP
6. Authorise guilds as Stormwind Guard units.

My suggestion for the army structure would be a brigade-structure, grouping together guilds with a similar outlook to support each other. The advantage of this method is that it allows smaller guilds to group with other guilds so that they are able to join in even if they have few members. I briefly led such a brigade, where the Disciples, Holy Lightbringers and Chapter joined together as the Holy Brigade. Leadership of the brigade was agreed between the three GMs, with myself in charge, Maelmoor as 2IC and Greagoir as 3IC. Each Guilds operated independently and I had no authority over the other guilds on a day to day basis. My sole authority was to issue orders to the respective military commanders to execute with their guilds when we were working together on events. I would propose the following Brigades as an initial work in progress.

1. Regular Brigade - Full time military guilds such as the Stormwind Regiment. These are the only troops in the full time service of Stormwind. The Regular Brigade might include a Penal Regiment as it is the regular troops who need to keep the Penal Regiment in line.

2. Holy Brigade - Those guilds who owe allegiance to the Light first and Stormwind second. The Disciples of Light would be a prime example.

3. Noble Brigade - Noble houses who owe allegiance to Stormwind indirectly through individual nobles. House Mistmantle would be work well here.

4. Mercenary Brigade - Those guilds who serve Stormwind when payed by the city to do so. Blades for Hire would fit into this category.

5. Exile Brigade - Troops from other nations currently resident in Stormwind. The Kingdom of Stromgarde would be ideal for this brigade.

6. Militia - Individuals who are guildless or members of guilds who do not wish to be involved as a whole.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Stormwind Ministry of Defence Empty Re: Stormwind Ministry of Defence

Post by Gilran Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Torradan:

Only if you agree that when you are incapable of carrying out the duties you have laid you won't hog the seat and leave somebody else take it, that's all I want to see, some fairness. Not sitting on a seat for months on end, doing nothing and playing ego games.

Otherwise, you definitely have my support.
Gilran
Gilran

Character sheet
Name: Gilran Steelfist
Title: Envoy of Ironforge

http://forums.threehammers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I don't see like a warlock/dk or shadow user or such brigade, or those would probably be in the regular brigade i preusme.

Do note the Freelancers would aid if called to since in the end we serve Stormwind. But again from a scouting, exploration, the occasional aid in battle and ore or such position securing (The new intro to dailies where The Explorers Guild helps the Alliance is a perfect example).

But otherwise same a Torradan said.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am

As Valestrion again and again and again rants about how the Stormwind Council is and should be speaking for and be representing King Wrynn, I dont see him fit at all to be on it.

It would most probablly harm it severly.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 am

Gogol, you continually misinterpret my references to the King. I am not suggesting we engage in direct RP with the King. I am simply recognising that it would be unrealistic RP in Stormwind to ignore the existence of the King and assume that his presence has no effect on the lives of the people. To my knowledge, the Council has always claimed to be a Council officially appointed by the King and, therefore, to represent the King. It was not something I introduced. I happen to agree with it because I think player government is a useful tool, but it wasn't my idea.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

They represent him, yes. But not his thoughts/decisions/orders and so on.
They're their own people with own minds, trusted to uphold the job as councillors that wouldn't give him a bad name.

Whether they do that or not, well. But they're not the King. People seem to not get that.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:52 pm

The scope of the role is what the one sitting here, the council as a whole and the community wants it to be/accepts. It's not necessarily the role of a militairy commander in the field however which should be pointed out. There are things in the works on the defense side despite the position not currently being filled as both myself and Lex/Jarric feels it's been lacking in depth for a long time. By all means do apply if you think you can do good there Valestrion!
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Crothu Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Good luck Vale ! Also can orcs apply for this ? Twisted Evil

Crothu

Character sheet
Name: Crothu
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadok Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Crothu wrote:Good luck Vale ! Also can orcs apply for this ? Twisted Evil

May present a slight conflict of interest. <.<

"My first act is to announce our surrender to the Horde! Now lower your weapons and welcome your new orcish overlords. I'm sure they'll be fair and kind."
Sadok
Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:33 pm

That is not the Orc way. Orc Minister of war would say:

"My first act would be to get our army and kick out that silly institution of monarchy and replace the king with the Warchief. Then, we will rename the 'Alliance' into the Blue Horde and show Garrosh WHO rules the world!"
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Stormwind meets Red Dawn.

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Go for it, if you like/intend to create Roleplaying. Leave your IC application here.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wulfgnar Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Crothu wrote:Good luck Vale ! Also can orcs apply for this ? Twisted Evil

Stormwind Ministry of Defence Tumblr_mcyxqlEGwx1rel180o9_400
Rae Wulfgnar
Rae Wulfgnar

Character sheet
Name: Sir Rae Josephas Wulfgnar
Title: Chaplain of the Disciples of Light

http://akhirah.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Braiden wrote:The scope of the role is what the one sitting here, the council as a whole and the community wants it to be/accepts. It's not necessarily the role of a militairy commander in the field however which should be pointed out. There are things in the works on the defense side despite the position not currently being filled as both myself and Lex/Jarric feels it's been lacking in depth for a long time. By all means do apply if you think you can do good there Valestrion!

The reason I ask the question, Braiden, is because it would be a significant move for me and, once appointed, there would be no turning back. I wouldn't want to apply unless I am applying for a job that has the backing of the military guilds and is as much a military leadership role as a political role.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:44 am

Valestrion, why do you make it sound to me (i apologize if i am wrong) that you -demand- people to follow your lead as a military leader if you'd be chosen as a minister?

Just like people join guilds because that guild and its leaders can offer them something in Roleplaying, so does people follow a good military leader. We can not force them to follow, just like we can not force them to join a guild, but they will follow willingly if you got something to offer for them.

Create Roleplaying, and they will gladly follow you onto a Campaign or war, but do not expect absolute power over everyone. Respect is earned.

EDIT: A note, Geldar did lead and organize military stuff as the Minister of Defense, Trolls of Gurunbashi actively attacking the borders and Duskwood, but that was a when Bloodwind still was a RP guild. If you bring new winds and organize things, people gladly follow.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:38 pm

For me, as a person who likes the council and a person well acquainted with organising and leading wpvp, the best thing Geldar did was: Not asserting authority on rp-pvp he did not organise himself

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Skarain wrote:Valestrion, why do you make it sound to me (i apologize if i am wrong) that you -demand- people to follow your lead as a military leader if you'd be chosen as a minister?

Just like people join guilds because that guild and its leaders can offer them something in Roleplaying, so does people follow a good military leader. We can not force them to follow, just like we can not force them to join a guild, but they will follow willingly if you got something to offer for them.

Create Roleplaying, and they will gladly follow you onto a Campaign or war, but do not expect absolute power over everyone. Respect is earned.

EDIT: A note, Geldar did lead and organize military stuff as the Minister of Defense, Trolls of Gurunbashi actively attacking the borders and Duskwood, but that was a when Bloodwind still was a RP guild. If you bring new winds and organize things, people gladly follow.

I'm not demanding anything. I'm simply being open about how I'd like to see the role develop to see if people are interested in that kind of Minister of Defence. If there's not the interest in it, which seems to be the case, I won't apply. I'd be foolish to apply for a job I'm not going to enjoy doing.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 pm

I see, thank you for clarifying it out.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet

Back to top Go down