Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying guide

+8
Jeanpierre
Aadaria-Ioanna
Muzjhath
Vaell
Carandor
Krogon Devilstep
Rmuffn
John Helsythe Amaltheria
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Roleplaying guide - Page 2 Empty Re: Roleplaying guide

Post by siegmund Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I have a question! So i use deathmantle tier on my rogue in-game it's leather.

Yet the looks are a tad more different, barely any leather (On the inside probably cloth and leather).

And ofc in public and off duty i do not use shoulders/cowl -> or put it off as soon as i enter a building.

So back to the point, what would it be? Some kind of mixture of special things?

Though i also use the Renowned guild tabard. (Which looks like cloth reinforced with chain mail on parts)
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Well.. Some items leave us guessing as to what it is.
If you feel it's an important part of your character, just describe it in his detailed description.
I wear my PvP leggings under my RP transmog set that probably show more armor than a level 30 chainmail. Doesn't mean I'm walking around with greaves. (In fact, I would consider JP bare-legged under his robe).
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Jeanpierre/Inias wrote:Let's see him try that when he lands in an ocean of pikemen who are there to get him, instead of mud.
If he's quick he only has to be worried about getting slapped with sticks.
The problem being that on avarage a short pike was three meters long. Pikes are/were HUGE fucking spears designed to kill heavy horse. And you don't do that with a normal spear of around 180-200cm's.
A pikeline in general, I believe, burried the ends of their weapons in the dirt. Stood over it, and held it out. Having it pointed forward with the edge some meters infront of him. This also made pikelines layered. As they stood so the people behind them also got their points out. And generally I don't believe a pikeline would have been more than four men deep, since the weapons were to unruly to handle, they'd have other light inf. behind, as well as crossbow men/archers.
So if you fell into a pikeline. There'd be a heap of confusion, people quite likely crushed by horses, and a general mess and chaos. Then if you got up you were better armed and armored. The pikemen might have a short sword. You'll have a BIG sword. You'll have good armor, they might have leather.
I'd say the guy in armor is in more dire straights if he falls of his horse behind the pikeline where there might exist more apt weapons to take him out.

Also, if we hypothetically say the pikemen can do it. Those that he lands on will hurt since it'll be a metal covered lump weighing in at say, 115 kg's. (Saying the armor is 40g and the knight 75)
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Apples and pairs really, with tiny blades the romans pwn'd hoplites, with pikes scots beat armoured english knights, with arrows the english (and welsh slaves :p) deflowered the french. Im more a fan of what you do with it really :p

From american football I can say I can run about all day and hit hard still, but i am still more agile and quicker without it on.

The bodkin stuff is totally wrong as is the pain of the fight thing but the rest was ok.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Though generally from my knowledge a horse wouldn't charge into a wall of pikes/spears/bayonets .

Well maybe the horse would stop and the man would get thrown into the pikes , but enough cartoon violence for now, this is fantasy.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 pm

siegmund wrote:Though generally from my knowledge a horse wouldn't charge into a wall of pikes/spears/bayonets .

Well maybe the horse would stop and the man would get thrown into the pikes , but enough cartoon violence for now, this is fantasy.

Google war horses! Those were dobbins with a bad attitude. They used to train them to bite off peoples faces.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:28 am

Lexgrad wrote:
siegmund wrote:Though generally from my knowledge a horse wouldn't charge into a wall of pikes/spears/bayonets .

Google war horses! Those were dobbins with a bad attitude. They used to train them to bite off peoples faces.

Ya, probably should have accounted that, as well as that in battle they were a bit more armored themselves.

Well then let me put it this way, Why would the person on horseback make them run into a wall of pikes, and no don't make me Google war humans.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:09 am

First of all. Took a few years for them to realise that pikes > heavy horse.
Secondly. It generally took an experienced pikeline not to break, I'd believe it'd be a bit of a cointoss against a pikeline that's never held a charge before if they'd hold or drop it and run away.
Since, would you want to stand there if you had a few hundred armored horses comming your way,each of them carried a plate armored rider? You have a pike, a dagger, and leather armor?
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thrakha Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 am

Spear formations were long known to be highly effective against cavalry.

However, they had their own problems. A wall of pikes or long spears was comparatively difficult to maneuver or turn, and prone to being flanked, or attacked while repositioning.

They also made a beautiful massed archery target - lots of people all having to use both hands for the pike instead of carrying any kind of shield, and in many time periods, not in very heavy armour.

Even if not flanked or shot to pieces, yes, morale would be a serious problem. A charge of heavy horse was distinctly intimidating, and it wasn't often that the most experienced veterans would be the ones holding the spears.

Given the weapons & armour available in large parts of the middle-ages, even those veterans would be acutely aware that that spear was the only thing between them and a man in armour that the footman's other weapons almost certainly won't penetrate without a great deal of luck and skill; a man who has been trained in war since childhood; a man mounted on an animal about half again as tall as him, armoured itself, that is trained to bite his face clean off and is coming at him at sufficent speed that even if he kills the damn thing it may well land on him and crush him, and kick the men to his right and left, to an ignominious and painful death.

It probably hasn't escaped his notice that he's doing all this for some rather bewildering goal or grudge of his feudal masters, who don't know his name, wouldn't care what happens to him, and would send him back to a life of grinding poverty the moment he ceases to be useful to them.

What keeps him standing firm is that his only possible hope is that he, and his comrades, hold their nerve. If some of his comrades run and he doesn't, the formation will break and he's dead. If they all run and the horsemen don't turn to look for another target, he's dead. If he runs and his own side catches him, he's very, very painfully dead. He and his comrades must depend on one another absolutely at this point. That is the sort of thing that motivates a person in this situation to make a stand and be a (sadly uncelebrated, as he's just a dirty peasant) hero.
Thrakha
Thrakha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2