Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition)

+3
Xen-tau
Crothu
Krogon Devilstep
7 posters

Go down

[Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition) Empty [Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition)

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Defias Brotherhood World-RP-PvP Guide (2013 Edition)

Disclaimer

I had best start with a very clear disclaimer. I will not dictate my views as law, you are free as players to decide how you play, and what rules you follow in world pvp. all that follows here is a guide that will recommend strategy and tactics to allow new World-pvp leaders an insight and some ideas for their coming careers. at the end of the guide will be a chapter on my own opinions regarding rule sets and Ethos. I encourage you to read the guide, the last chapter however you may take with a pinch of salt. Thank you for taking the time to read this guide, the sum total of my long and daunting military service on Defias brotherhood, Enjoy!

Foreword

I've played on Defias Brotherhood since September 2005, I've seen a lot of World-pvp, and I've loved every moment of it. Ever since I began on our wondrous server I wanted nothing more than to charge into battle, leading from the front to try and carve out a name and reputation for my characters. On some levels I succeeded, and now I'd like to pass on what I learned to the budding commanders and rising warlords of our community. Before I begin properly, I'd like to give you some sound advice my first ever battle leader gave to me...

"sure, there was more of them. Yes they had better gear, and yes they won. But that is no reason to lose heart. pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and next time will always be better"
 - Firebeard, Commander of the Lordamere Lancers regiment of the Shining strand.

Do's and Don'ts.

Let's start off with some don'ts, it's the best way to approach this and will clear up some things before you start on your world conquering campaigns, as we want to avoid school boy errors first.

Firstly, for example, Napoleon didn't conquer most of Europe, winning over 200 battles by forming a long straight line and charging at his enemies head on. oh no, this insane concept that some people have that both armies, horde and alliance, have to face each other, line up and charge, is pure stupidity. The usual reason people state for it is "it makes things fair", well my answer to that is...

Why!?

A Battle is about ultimately destroying your enemy, so that you may dominate him, his government and people. it's a struggle to the death. Thus logic would dictate you can  use Tactics, formations, surprise attacks, ambushes, terrain advantages, Cavalry charges and ranged bombardment to win the day and smash him utterly, achieving your objective.

Good, glad we got that cleared up, as it's a fundamental annoyance of mine and one of the key reasons battles as of 2009 onwards became boring, rigid and a pure slug match, due to such silly notions.

Now then, another pointer is to take into consideration information. You are under NO obligation to give your enemy your location, and often even to tell him your numbers. This removes the challenging aspect of scouting, and intelligence gathering. If a commander isn't smart enough to send out scouts to gauge his enemies strength, does he deserve to win? perhaps not, does he deserve to be flanked and surrounded? more likely so. Don't Tell your enemy your every action, otherwise he can perhaps Ic'ly, and even OOC'ly use it to his or her advantage.
You may have gathered from the last two pointers that it is an old school ideal (thus one of my ideals) that people have to Earn victory in World pvp, not merely show up and hope for the best. Well, keep this in mind, as from some of the Servers most famous battles, that is how it worked and continues to work even now in 2013. We've come a long way, but he who fights the most will to succeed, wins most often.

Another important 'Don't' would be regarding Numbers. Under no circumstances should you rely purely on numbers in world pvp, it has been proven on multiple occasions by many leaders, myself included, that Tactics and cunning can overcome the Zerg any day. If you do however choose to Depend upon numbers, do so baring in mind that your enemy can use such a Strength of yours against you to cause a 'cataclysmic' defeat.

Now then, that should just about cover the 'don'ts'. I've stated these so you the reader can clear them from your mind before reading any further. If you do however ignore these, please bare in mind, some of the biggest defeats in server history can trace their roots back to ... yes, Simple line tactics, Zerging and telling your enemy your every move. Numbers do not win battles.

Leadership

Leadership, the position of a War leader in itself is important, you are IC the symbol of authority, control and the central hub of order and command. people rely on you to make the right calls, and use your cunning to guide them to victory. Thus some basic principles need to be maintained.

1) Don't Ever allow someone else to counter your orders and undermine your authority, confusion regarding who's in charge and counterproductive orders can tear armies apart, I've seen it happen to disastrous effect on numerous occasions. Use Raid warning to assert your Leadership, and give commands clearly, combined with Yells.

2) place a raid marker over your head, this will allow everyone in your group or raid to clearly see your position, and know who to follow. subsequently, if your diving into a number of smaller groups, you can place raid markers on the leaders of smaller groups too.

3) Gather all the information. It's important you assess the territory, terrain and enemy before you charge head long into battle, weighing up all the odds, advantages and disadvantages. Good use of scouts, foresight and planning can vastly increase your odds.

4) Be flexible. if your Hell bent on a particular course of action you risk being forced by an adaptive enemy into a bad position. however if your remain flexible, you can Adapt as situations in the field change.

5) Be Firm. if you Give an order and its ignored or not noticed, Firmly remind people of the position they need to be in, or what they should be doing. small groups going rogue can massively effect the course and flow of a battle, and even cause defeat.

6) Keep good OOC contact with the opposing leader. if the battle has been arranged, it's a good idea to have a good line of OOC communication with the opposing leader, to maintain order, and avoid such things as griefing, misunderstandings and drama. nobody likes drama, Everyone loves fun.

7) Use time wisely. if you spend all your time forming up elaborate formations, marching in slow rank, then you can waste valuable time that your enemy can use against you. this can be used in many examples, but time as a factor can be vital regarding pre-decided objectives and regarding the position of your enemy and allies alike.

8] Tunnel Vision. a particular danger, if you get too Absorbed into a fight, you can't control it properly, and can be taken by surprise. its often a good idea to step back and lead from the centre, rather than the front. Alert sharp eyes can detect Changes, tunnel vision inhibits spotting problems.

9) Today is not a good day to die. this is true, if you march to war and find yourself mightily outnumbered, outgunned and outsmarted, Nowhere is it written down that you must fight and die, you can withdraw, to live and report to your superiors and allies of what has come to pass. Retreat -is- an option.

10) Advice. don't get clogged up by it. if a full laid is trying to get your attention with advice, suggestions and nagging, yell at them to shut up and get in line. Wars are not won by a democratic debate, their won by soldiers marching to the tune set by the general. its harsh I know, but threes nothing more mind numbing than 40 people fighting over your attention and demanding you heed their ideas.

Now that is the harsh part done with. Sadly some discipline is required, I take it more seriously than others granted, but order MUST be obtained lest the mob gains a wild mind of its own.
Organisation and Hierarchy are a point of particular note. I myself never rewarded just anyone with Lieutenant status because they was a friend, a guildy, a Real life pal or because they'd meddled their way to it by 'politics'. No, I gave important tasks, and command of smaller groups to people who Earned the right and had shown able ability to lead. This may seem elitist, but that alone was my preference, I imagine everyone is different and may seek to evaluate differently.

Furthermore on the point of Lieutenants, it should be a permanent thought in the back of everyone's head to deploy individuals leading smaller groups based on skill. It's hardly wise to send a rogue... or someone who excels in sneaky warfare, to lead a mounted flanking charge, they likely have no Experience. The same could be said for a well practiced Warrior who often leads mounted charges, he's hardly going to be subtle and able to scout stealthily. It's the matter of relevant skills that should be considered.

There are other factors you should consider when leading, one key thing is morale. Now Morale is tricky, as people love to win, and hate to lose... yet our perspective in W-pvp is all about the 'fairness'. So when one side loses, as one inevitably must, it can have a detrimental effect, whereas winning all the time boosts morale (but may cause considerable over confidence may I add). Morale can be improved in a multitude of ways, perhaps you can do more social activity's with the people you RP-Pvp with, a trip to the tavern never hurt. There's also training, a valuable asset for mindset and attitude, using positive reinforcement to encourage smart and helpful actions. BUT I don't fully agree with disciplining misbehaviour either, especially in training, the trick is to challenge other players to do better, and help them do so. one to one training, practice, social RP and ooc bonds can help everyone.

Later on in this guide I will discuss tactics and terrain, but I'd just like to underline a basic principle people should hold in their minds.

P.P.P.P.P.P ... the Six P's.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - it's a basic concept, if you walk into a situation unprepared you set yourself up for disaster, however if you come ready of mind and schedule, all may go your way.

Another Factor I think is Vital, is communication. you Should attempt to have a dependable way of communicating with opposing leaders. MSN, Skype or REAL-ID are all excellent examples. use them well and treat your foes with courtesy.

Oh and one last thing, if you have the ability, get yourself a spy glass. These tools can be created by engineers and used by anyone, a very handy tool for looking over short distances. what's more, if you can, raise your cooking skill and learn to make Blackened Worg steaks. These little nibbles provide humanoid tracking as a buff, and as a non hunter class can prove Extremely useful.

To the soldiers.

That right, a small section for the privates, sergeants, and foot soldiers in battle. if you are reading this, then please take into account the above section.

1) don't crowd and spam your leading officer with advice and suggestions, they need their heads clear and eyes alert.

2) don't run off and follow your own initiative, a leader doesn't need to be yelling at people to get back in line.

3) don't throw a hissy fit because you're not getting what you want. a raid leader may have to contend with upwards of 40 people at once, that is a Tall order in organisation terms and one person throwing their toys out of their pram isn't something they may, or even should tolerate.

4) if you do have a problem, and it absolutely must be voiced, then perhaps you should seek out one of the raid leaders lieutenants or second in command for such things. Making the pressure on a leader lighter is always a good thing.

Training

Ahh Training. one of my favourite aspects to world pvp. if an army is organised, disciplined and works well as a team, it can overcome number disadvantages with good training and organisation. in effect, the battle can be won before it even starts. here's some quick tips regarding how to go about this.

1) Organise regular guild/group events to allow a force to train together, practicing moving across a battlefield as a tight nit group, supporting each other and working as a team.
2) practice some of the tactics I will explain later in this guide, such as formations, defending a position, Mounted charges and scouting.

3) Nothing wrong with duelling, some people can benefit hugely simply from doing it more. constructive criticism IC and ooc can boost morale and the base skills of a player ion pvp (and hopefully World pvp).

4) Promote a level of standards. Teach your troops the ideas of battle you want them to follow. such as sticking together as a group, following the leader or his lieutenants. If players know out of reflex what they should be doing, then you likely won't need to waste time asserting authority, spamming yells or raid warning. it all helps with organisation.
5) practice with other groups from the same faction, exchange ideas, practice 'war-games'. this can help with all of the aspects above.
Some key things I myself would instil in any group and highly advise you to do likewise are:

a) Keep together as a group, strength in unity.
b) follow the leader, if he has a raid symbol over his head, you can't miss him/her.
c) don't ignore orders, keep sharp and ensure you know what your meant to be doing.
d) ensure players don't enter a tunnel vision mode that impairs judgement and changes in orders.
e) ensure people know where to be in a basic battle line. You the leader should be at its centre, with heavy melee up front, healers to the rear, casters and hunters on the flanks, and stealthers on the far sides. This in effect should cause a natural response where any frontal attack means plate bear the brunt, ranged can engage effectively, healers are safe (perhaps) and stealthers can engage the enemy efficiently.

I would advise Holding training sessions around Twice a month in a relevant location. The Trick is to not bore your Troops to death with emote sit ups, but to engage their brains in the idea of moving and working as a group. This could be Taught through the formation of a Faction 'officers' or 'military' academy/school that could allow more experienced leaders to take Guilds, and even their leaders individually on Exercises of practice sessions.

My First Training session in large was a military Exercise in loch modan, with the forces of the disciples of light, holy lightbringers, Shining strand and Dwarven rifle squad. we practiced cavalry charges and movements as a group, we took turns assaulting and defending a hill with a single narrow entrance, we practiced defending a cave mouth by use of a smoke screen (flares!). all in all in proved invaluable in the next few battles we fought as a team, as we was well versed in various tactics and had built up firm bonds.

Scouting

Scouting is one of the most important aspects to a battle, it can help decide how a fight begins, where and often with what numbers. here are some points as to how to best use this important aspect to world-pvp. like I stated earlier in the leadership section, get yourself a spy glass and cook up some Blackened Worg steaks for the humanoid tracking, this will allow you some limited short range scouting ability.

1) Rogues, hunters, Cat druids and shamans all make excellent scouts. Using stealth to search out, and stalk an enemy force closely is wonderful for close observation, and information gathering, but the same can be said of a hunters Eagle eye or a shamans far sight. personally I prefer shamans, their far sight can be re used to amazing ranges and still allows for excellent intelligence gathering.

2) don't send to many! you dot want half your army out scouting, they can be picked off and you left vulnerable at the core. a lot of people enjoy volunteering for the job, especially classes that have no advantages doing so. bonk them on the noggin ,tell them to get back into line and leave it to the pro's.

3) be careful of what you see, sometimes your enemy may be trying to lure you into taking a particular course of action. this may be in regards to fall back positions he could have, terrain, hidden troops or generally some form of deception. get all the facts before you act.

4) be clear with your scouts on what you want, what you're looking for and what you want them to report back, clear simple orders can increase the yield of important information.

5) players on flying mounts can be used for scouting, however, they in turn can be spotted. this can cause your enemy to act negatively and result in your being deceived, or the scout simply shot down. if you do however wish to use such scouts, be cautious. Perhaps the most effective use is a pair method whereby one flying scout sits above the enemy army, circling them, and the other fly's back and forth reporting their movements in character.

Scouts Themselves need to be organised. I like sending out two rogues to follow an army and report it, while a shaman or Hunter locates them. This Means the glow effect from far-sight and Eagleye is less likely to be spotted. Once located the rogues can be dispatched to stalk the enemy Force. One rogue should be looking at the enemy's numbers, class make up, Guilds (this can say a lot about tactics) and as well as possible leadership. The Second Scout should be looking into nearby terrain and considering possible positions and outcomes.

As a Scout looking at an enemy Force, I recommend taking note of the following:
Specific Position and Nearby Terrain - "Spartans do not ask how many the enemy are, merely where they are" - Courageous indeed. But the Spartans did hold off 200,000 Persians with 200 men for 2 days by merely scouting locations well. Take Note of High ground, Flat ground, narrow choke points and graveyards. All these things can be vital.

Numbers - Obvious perhaps, but a Scout should be more considering the numbers in a 'guild' or 'sub' groups when they make movements. This may allow a commander to understand which guild or group will be the Infantry, Cavalry, air group, Healing support, Ranged or bombardment... or even Generic rank and file.

Class Composition - Trivial perhaps, but an army made up primarily of paladins can be Extremely difficult to kill. or perhaps a force entirely made up of Night elves? the last thing you need is to have them all Shadowmeld and wait in ambush. Take key note of healers too, it may sound cruel, but they can make or break a battle simply by Buffing.

Tactics and Strategy

This section will primarily be dedicated to providing some basic manoeuvres and formations for an aspiring commanders use. I will be using some basic diagrams to display this. Typically in these diagrams the following colours symbolise the following:

Brown - Melee
Blue - Ranged
White - Healer
Yellow - Stealth
Red - Enemy faction

It is also important to Remember that Fights may begin with rigid formations and a plan, but they usually end in a big mess. These suggestions are for how fighting starts, not for how they progress or end. Regardless of the later stages, these should allow you to gain the initial or positional upper hand you need to drive home a solid victory.

Basic Line

I'm fully aware of what I said at the start of this guide about lining up and charging to the front. However, in many situations it is appropriate and even wise. Furthermore, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing it. Below is an example of an offensive Battle line, something everyone should be capable of forming:

Spoiler:

Melee at the centre, backed by healers, flanked by range classes and with Stealth classes moving to attack the enemy at the rear. this creates an enveloping effect and allows each class/spec to perform its roll to the full and best of its intended use. On a world map, it would look something like this:

Spoiler:

The Defensive line is similar but has only one difference, namely that stealth classes sit behind healers so that they may protect them. It should look something like this:

Spoiler:

Lines in general are a basic standard. Not advanced, but their essential to every leaders arsenal. One thing I will place some emphasis on though is the matter of spacing. Huddled groups can easily fall prey to Mass AoE and AoE crowd control, so be cautious with how tightly packed you are, a bit of breathing space is always nice.

Bow Curve

The Bow Curve is essentially a Standard line, but drawn back like a Bow. Its purpose is to maximise the chances of envelopment, as well as maximise the capability of ranged classes on the flanks. It should look something like this:

Spoiler:

A bow Curve is rarely used, but when done well it can mean an engulfed enemy is swallowed up with AoE and Crowd control swiftly and efficiently.

Mounted Charge

Mounted charges are more about speed of movement and positioned than anything else. Combat itself does not occur on mounts, as upon using combat skills you automatically dismount anyway.

Mounted charges specifically, get you from 'A' to 'B' at great speed and maximise the chances of it being done with the element of surprise.  It should be done as thus:

Spoiler:

First fall back some distance, possibly out of visual range. Then loop around the enemy, to his right or left flank and continue on until you reach the area of what should be his 'rear'. once there, slowly approach until they enter visual range. Once you see their backs, Charge and dismount immediately or upon reaching the spot/target you intend. Its often best to maximise the shock effect with Fears, roots, stuns and so forth so that surprise takes over and your opponent cant react due to the chaos.
(More coming soon)

Terrain

Terrain is an invaluable asset, and possibly a terrible curse. In this section I will explain some of its wonderful blessings and problems, area by area. In future sections I will be using numerous diagrams to explain past battles for the benefit of understanding the use of terrain types, and particular tactics.
Horde - Red
Alliance - Blue

Flat ground

flat ground is one of the most numerous kinds of terrain in Azeroth and allows for a wide range of open field tactics, clear view and grants immense manoeuvrability. on flat ground Cavalry or mounted players are at home, able to attack aggressively using massive flanking manoeuvres, by surprise or not, without much problem. Flat ground also presents the problem of a defenders nightmare, it's hard to hide or defend yourself from large numbers on flat ground. my advice would be, if your keen to attack on flat ground, use mounted troops well. if you're on the run or defending, don't stand around unless you must, it's a terrible place to be.

An example of a Flat ground clash would be the Battle of winter veil in December 2006. The Horde had retreated all the way from Ironforge and with its superior numbers planned to hammer the pursuing alliance forces east of Refuge point.

The army's each split into three groups:
Horde 1 - Second Gurubashi empire
Horde 2 - Old Lordaeron, Sixty thieves, Various
Horde 3 - Orc's of the Red Blade
Alliance 1 - Shining Strand, Disciples of light
Alliance 2 - The Alliance Watch
Alliance 3 - Dwarven Rifle squad

Spoiler:

These formations seemed to form all of their own doing, However as leader of alliance group one I decided to do something other than a front fight, taking my group north, I Flanked Horde Group 1 as a mounted force, mowing down their northern flank.

Spoiler:

With Horde Group 1 quickly overwhelmed and routing to Hammerfall,  Alliance group 1 Re-mounted and repeated the same action on Horde Group 2, which achieved the same results. However, Before I could carry out a third and final charge, Horde group 3 had pulled back and retreated in good order.

Spoiler:

Hills and mountains

highlands, lowlands, valleys, cracks, ravines, hills, mountains and narrow passes. a defenders paradise. if you've seen the film '300' you'll understand immediately what importance a narrow pass or high ground can have for a defender. it allows for a superior area of view and a supreme defending position where you can draw a foe into a direct attack. what's more, it makes cavalry weak in base terms, they can't flank so easily or not at all and may be reduced to basic frontal charges which can be blocked and mowed down. my advice regarding this terrain is to get up high, and get your enemy low so you're looking down at him. if your fighting between two points of high ground, you can ensure your enemy has to attack frontally, negating any surprise or flanking attacks. If you however are the attacker and your enemy has such good positions, use scouts to work out weak points and exploit them, perhaps he doesn't have all the approaches covered and can be attacked from another angle?

What is important to remember is Game mechanics in these situations. Charging uphill doesn't affect combat, but it does effect camera angles and how far you will fall or be projected by knockbacks.

A good, firm example of exploiting this terrain is the Battle of the Talon deep pass. The mixed horde forces strove to attack an alliance force blockading the pass. They attacked four times, and each time got repelled efficiently, not budging. They formed up something like this:

Spoiler:

now it's a simple enough diagram, however the Horde kept repeating the same frontal attack despite it not working not once, not twice, but three times previous to the fourth attempt. The Reason their attacks didn't work is down to several factors. Firstly, The alliance as you can see picked a choke point where the barricade spikes cause any attacker to funnel together, making AoE bombardment on a single location easy. Secondly, how they set their group out:

Spoiler:

Seem familiar? Well, let's use the colour code from the formation and tactics section to better illustrate:

Spoiler:

Using flanking AoE, Armoured players supported by traps and snares, and a very effective pair of stealth class groups at the rear, the Alliance managed to nullify and halt any Horde attack.

Another Excellent Example of this sort of terrain use is the Dwarven rifle squad Against the Orc's of the red blade in the barrens (what is now the northern barrens). The Dwarves had positioned themselves at the summit of the massive hill south west of the crossroads, leaving the Orc's With the choice of having to charge up steep and narrow path's to reach them. After two Failed attempts at Frontal attacks up one slope, which went like this...

Spoiler:

The Orc's realised that they could in fact attack from several sides at once. splitting their group in half, they sent one group to the other side of the hill to attack from the rear just as the dwarves began to fend off a front attack from the other group. It was a resounding success and caught the dwarves completely off-guard.

Spoiler:

A final example is the Siege of Ironforge in 2006. The horde army was advancing up the slope toward the city gates, and the alliance force sat at the top in its path. splitting into two groups, the Alliance placed all their ranged players on the ridge overlooking the road, and placed all its melee classes further north, blocking the top of the road.

Spoiler:

when the horde began its initial charge, its ranks ran over a mass of traps, slowing AoE and ranged attacks while a melee group speared into their front. once the fighting began, the ranged group leapt into the fray from above. The Horde quickly scattered and found themselves chased all the way back to Loch modan!

Woodlands

Dense Forest is the ambushers paradise, somewhere troops can be hidden and where attackers or defenders can mask their numbers and even position through a haze of tree's, swamp bush or foliage. personally I have used such Terrain a lot and to good effect. Such zones often have main roads which armies will (foolishly) use to move around, and with tree's on both sides, you can position yourself to charge them from both sides as they move along the path. Woodland also presents other problems, Scouting can be harder, scouts can miss or even walk right past the enemy and not even realise it due to the haze of obstacles, in these circumstances its often wise to be Extremely alert and to watch all flanks, front, sides and back at all times. the swamp of sorrows and dustwallow fall under this category of course, but with the added problem of marshy water patches, it can be difficult to attack, or even defend due to the 'swimming' problem. My Ultimate advice in this area, is to be vigilant and use your scouts effectively.

At the Height of the Vanguard war in the Middle of the burning crusade Expansion, a battle was fought in ashenvale between myself and my army, and the forces led by kozgugore. We met facing each other on a bridge over the farralfen river. There we fought at a stalemate, until I eventually found that the Horde had sent rogues to my rear, and began killing my healers and supports. Another effective use of stealthers for a rear attack.

Spoiler:

the result was a prompt route past raynewood and eventually to Astranaar. However I wasn't happy with the position, I didn't want the Horde to force me into a place I had no particular desire to go to. Thus I positioned my army North of the road outside the eastern side of Astranaar, in the woods.

Spoiler:

This meant as soon as the horde arrived they was facing the city in a long marching line, allowing me to charge straight into their unprotected and unsuspecting flank. The Result was chaos, the horde force split and scattered in three directions while being cut down.

Spoiler:

Towns and cities

Urban warfare can be problematic in many senses, a town or city, in ruins or not, can be a defenders dream, or an attackers paradise depending on how vantage points, narrow streets and houses are used. it's all together usually a messy affair if numbers are equal. Try to gain high points, and work out the best avenue to the heart of your enemies forces, Scouts play a pivotal role as ever and should be consulted and briefed closely on what exactly you're after, and what they find. often enough, in a Siege its best a Defender also gauge his defensive positions, high points and fall back positions carefully to ensure he isn't taken by surprise. This much the same counts for an attacker in a siege, use your noggin and consider the stages a fight may take, nobody wants to charge a keep to find themselves bottlenecked and attacked from all sides as soon as they walk through the gate. Planning is important, as is patience and foresight.

With a Siege, its Vitally important you don't make the mistake of presuming your enemy is stupid. Stromgarde has been attacked a dozen times and will likely be many times more. When the Horde actually managed to hold it for a week during WoTLK, we planned our defence impeccably. we defended from the bridge over the main street, blocking the way into the chapel area, and allowing us a vantage point to bombard any who attacked the main gate. As soon as the alliance charged through... they couldn't reach us, and found multiple forms of AOE falling on their heads, wiping their raid promptly.

Spoiler:

this happened again, when they charged the bridge from the 'safe area' trying to reach the chapel. The third time though, they did so on mounts, meaning they got passed our vantage points, and AoE before we could stop them... we wiped. In a Siege, plan your defence, and your attack, and be cautious!

Bridges

Bridges are a rather common battle type on Defias Brotherhood. They favour defenders, However, it isn't unusual for an attacker to completely dominate his opponents through clever use of the players and classes at their disposal.

A typical Bridge defence should look something like this:

Spoiler:

This diagram is using the colour scheme of the tactics and strategy section, showing clearly how the melee heavy classes should block the bridge (but not be on it) while ranged classes bombard any enemy trying to cross. Stealth classes may enjoy such battles, taking advantage of the chaos and attacking the enemy in the rear for an effective bottle-neck.

Not all Bridge defences go according to plan though. In 2012 during the jade forest campaign, The alliance made several mistakes in how they 'barricaded' a bridge that led to the valley of four winds. Firstly, they didn't use the bridge, they lined up in front of it to face the Horde force on open terrain.

Spoiler:

This also meant that in a retreat, the alliance would have to move through a narrow bridge, allowing for an easy pursuit. when the second round of fighting began, The Alliance had finally made use of the bridge but had made no preparation or organised effort to block any Horde crossing. Nor did they consider how the horde would cross. Instead of using the bridge, the horde used path of frost via several of its Death knights and attacked up a slide slope from the water, overwhelming the poorly positioned enemy.

Spoiler:

In a realistic battle, the Alliance should of split into three groups on their side of the bridge,  mirroring my example defensive layout  shown earlier in this section. It should of looked something like this:

Spoiler:

Positioning Ranged groups on the flanks and above the slope, with melee heavy players blocking the bridge, ready to turn and block the slope if need be.
The important thing to Remember about bridges is to be aware of what's around them, positioning is everything.

(More Coming soon)

Last edited by Krogon Devilstep on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

[Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition) Empty Re: [Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition)

Post by Crothu Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Good guide krogon but you forgot the most important tactic of all time ZERG RUSH. Twisted Evil

Crothu

Character sheet
Name: Crothu
Title:

Back to top Go down

[Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition) Empty Re: [Guide] Defias Brotherhood W-RP-PvP Guide for Beginners (2013 Edition)

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Crothu wrote:Good guide krogon but you forgot the most important tactic of all time ZERG RUSH. Twisted Evil

Seems you didn't read it properly then :p
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 am

I am using this as a reference at the moment! Did you know that, with smaller images, your post is 23 pages long! =O
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am

Spoiler those pics will you Razz

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Dianthaa Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 am

That's got to be the most complex and longest post I've ever seen, I'm completely in awe. Will need to read it at home, in quiet and meditation.
Dianthaa
Dianthaa

Character sheet
Name: Dianthaa
Title: Deathmaster of the Vile Thorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Amaryl wrote:Spoiler those pics will you Razz

NEVER!

Edit: and as i said, its still not complete.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 am

An update is coming for this very soon!

Would also appreciate it being stuck in the guide lists if Mods allow.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:38 pm

"for beginners"
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Darilas Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:52 pm

waaaaaay too long to read on a screen. My version:

Just go with the flow, charge when the others do and follow the instructions of your raid leader. (most important one is probably: don't ress before the clash is over) Have fun with the casual RP inbetween, be creative with Battle yells and.. that's pretty much it.
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Darilas wrote:waaaaaay too long to read on a screen. My version:

Just go with the flow, charge when the others do and follow the instructions of your raid leader. (most important one is probably: don't ress before the clash is over) Have fun with the casual RP inbetween, be creative with Battle yells and.. that's pretty much it.

Wonder where the raid leader learns what to do...
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Fuck you seiken for making me open this post again.... Do you have any idea how hard i was scrolling?

here i was thinking it was updated...
Wink

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Amaryl wrote:Fuck you seiken for making me open this post again.... Do you have any idea how hard i was scrolling?

here i was thinking it was updated...
Wink

...soon, soon. in the meantime I have set the images in spoilers...

Wretch D:
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Very Happy did i just win a 7 month old argument?

I'm kidding Wink

i'm looking forward to the update, even though we disagree on several points, there's still some great nuggets in that text, which should be read.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down