Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light

+13
Sanara
Rmuffn
Khendran
Gahalla
Sorayah
erwtenpeller
Kristeas Sunbinder
Drustai
Thelos
Lyniath
Geneviève
corleth
Melnerag
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light Empty [Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Compendium of Facts
Interpretation of Facts
The Guide to the Holy Light

The Holy Light is a very deep religion, by standards of other fantasy settings at least. It is also very complex, because we have several factions approaching the Holy Light from different perspectives. Any lore on the Light we have comes ultimately from NPCs, who belong to one or another faction. We get only little real information about the Holy Light proper, but we do have a lot of information of how the Light is seen by various factions.

This time I’ve tried a different approach to writing a guide. Instead of telling my narrative and supporting it with whatever quotes and pieces of Lore I could find, I have chosen to do it like this: first of all, I collected all the facts I could find about the Holy Light. Then I’ve written my interpretation of the facts, filling in the gaps and reading between the lines. At last I have let my creativity free to transform the interpretation into an awesome concept for Role-play. As reader, it is up to you how to work with this guide. You can read the facts, and interpret them on your own. You can accept my interpretation, but incorporate it into role-play differently, or you can simply read my final creative adaption of the lore for Role-play and run with it.

PS: If you find any pieces of lore, in quests, official texts or otherwise – let me know. More facts are always welcome. If you disagree with my interpretation, speak up as well. Debate always leads to better end-product.

Last edited by Melnerag on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

[Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light Empty Re: [Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:17 pm

The Compendium of Facts
Below is the list of all the facts I could find about the Holy Light. Considering the facts come from NPCs who are bound by faction, I have marked the clues with the faction of the one to give them. Be mindful that all statements given by NPCs are not the facts about the Holy Light, since NPCs can be wrong. They are facts about X-factions views on the Light.

In short, brief history of the factions.

Once upon the time there was the Church of the Holy Light that has encompassed Humans, Elves and Dwarves. The church also included the Knights of the Silver Hand. At one point, Knights of the Silver Hand were crushed and reformed as the Scarlet Crusade. Scarlet Crusade had a schism and turned into the Argent Dawn, Brotherhood of the Light and the Scarlet Crusade. Argent Dawn later became the Argent Crusade. Elves left the Church of the Holy Light when they decided that they rather rule the Light, than be ruled by it. Draenei crashed on Azeroth with their own version of the Light.

[CotHL]: Church of the Holy Light
[SC]: Scarlet Crusade
[AC]: Argent Crusade/Argent Dawn/Brotherhood of the Light
[D]: Draenei
[BE]: Blood Elves
[O]: This piece of Lore is still bound by faction, but it is not one of the above. Just check the source.

Official Lore
This is the lore gathered from official blizzard website and lore Q&A.

Q: Can you please explain how "light" works? The lore states that undead are physically incapable of using the light, much like the Broken, but then we have Forsaken players casting healing spells, and Sir Zeliek in Naxxramas using pseudo-paladin abilities.
A: Without spoiling too much, we can tell you that wielding the Light is a matter of having willpower or faith in one's own ability to do it. That's why there are evil paladins (for example, the Scarlet Crusade and Arthas before he took up Frostmourne). For the undead (and Forsaken), this requires such a great deal of willpower that it is exceedingly rare, especially since it is self-destructive. When undead channel the Light, it feels (to them) as if their entire bodies are being consumed in righteous fire. Forsaken healed by the Light (whether the healer is Forsaken or not) are effectively cauterized by the effect: sure, the wound is healed, but the healing effect is cripplingly painful. Thus, Forsaken priests are beings of unwavering willpower; Forsaken (and death knight) tanks suffer nobly when they have priest and paladin healers in the group; and Sir Zeliek REALLY hates himself.
-source

Q: The Blood Knights of Silvermoon lack direction. None of them were seen in Northrend, and it is very unclear whether the Order still exists, or if it's been disbanded. It's also very unclear where the Blood Knights obtain their power, now. It used to be the Naaru, but then... remnants of the naaru. Surely these remnants are all but tapped now. Do we obtain power from the Sunwell?
A: As of the end of the Burning Crusade expansion, blood elves who wield the Light do so through the power of the renewed Sunwell. It is a harmonious relationship, no longer one of discord caused by the blood elves' attempts to bend the Light to their will, which will likely have a positive effect on blood elf society in the long run. Look forward to updates that reflect this change in the Silvermoon and Blood Knight quests.
-source

Q: What is the nature of the Void state of the Na'aru? For a being of the Light, turning into such a dark being seems like a heavy weakness. Sucking in souls and causing destruction simply because of a loss in strength greatly diminishes their saintly image. Though, this might be a reason they don't act in combat very much, as turning on your army due to fatigue wouldn't be good for morale.
A: Because three cases of this "cycle" have been demonstrated in Nagrand, Auchindoun, and Sunwell Plateau (K'ure, D'ore, and M'uru, respectively), players may have received the wrong impression with regard to the magnitude and rarity of these events: it is EXCEEDINGLY rare for a naaru to fall into a void state, and even rarer for a fallen naaru to be brought back into the Light. A naaru's fall into the void represents a catastrophic loss for the naaru and for the forces of the Light, and it is the saddest, most heart-wrenching event for the naaru to witness. Conversely, a naaru being reborn into the Light brings renewed hope and sense of purpose to every naaru; if energy beings could weep tears of joy, this would do it.

Q: When undead use or are healed by the Holy Light, does it cause them any actual damage or harm, or does it only cause them pain (in addition to the intended effects of the spell)?
A: Channeling the Light in any way, or receiving healing from the Light, only causes pain. Forsaken priests do not disintegrate or explode from channeling the Light for an extended period of time… though they may wish they would.
-source

Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?
A: There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.
-source

Q: Why are gnomes suddenly interested in the Light?
A: The gnomes have had an interest in the Light since they joined the Alliance, but they were so focused on technology and, later, the retaking of Gnomeregan that studying the Light didn't feel necessary to them; the dwarven priests and paladins of Ironforge served as the only connection to the Light they needed. Now that the gnomes have reclaimed a foothold in Gnomeregan and begun rebuilding their culture outside of Ironforge, however, they've recognized the importance of having followers of the Light in their own ranks. In addition, researching new methods of purifying irradiated gnomes has led to radical advances in Light-based technology!
-source

Gift of the Naaru spell description:
The Draenei are blessed with a healing ability that can restore their health and that of their allies.
-source

Introduction of the Naaru are saviours of the Draenei
With the aid of the naaru, benevolent energy beings who had resolved to combat the fallen titan’s nihilistic crusade, Velen gathered other like-minded eredar and narrowly escaped Argus. Forever after, these renegades would call themselves the draenei, or “exiled ones.”
-source

Naaru instructing the Draenei in the ways of the Light
Having been instructed by the naaru in the ways of the Light, the draenei developed an extraordinary society on their new home and came to know the shamanistic orc clans native to Draenor.
-source

The naaru-instructed Draenei are peaceful…
Yet the draenei’s peaceful existence did not last. Upon discovering the renegades’ home, Kil’jaeden corrupted the noble orcs…
-source

The great battle between Light and Darkness
Velen was granted a dire vision concerning a war between the forces of light and darkness that would take place on Azeroth. Thus, the draenei and their sage leader are now bravely preparing to stand against the shadow that they believe is fast approaching.
-source

Restoration of the Sunwell
Velen used the heart of a fallen naaru to sanctify the blood elves’ tainted Sunwell, transforming the sacred fount into a source of holy and arcane energies.
-source

Paladin class description
It is the call of the paladin: to protect the weak, to bring justice to the unjust, and to vanquish evil from the darkest corners of the world. These holy warriors are equipped with plate armor so they can confront the toughest of foes, and the blessing of the Light allows them to heal wounds and, in some cases, even restore life to the dead.

Paladins are not only zealots, but also guardians of the righteous, and they bestow blessings on those the Light would shine upon. The Light radiates from paladins, and worthy allies who stand near them are emboldened by its power.
-source

Lordaeron - Jerusalem of the North?
Far to the north of Dalaran, the lords of Strom built a new city-state which they named Lordaeron. The entire continent would take its name from this city-state. Lordaeron became a mecca for religious travelers and all those who sought inner peace and security.
–source

[D] A place of Worship
I remember the Temple as it used to be: a place of worship.
I prayed within its chambers and meditated among its gardens. I was happy then; at peace.
-Akama, Black Temple Trailer

Blood Knights – Origins
Back in the capital city of Silvermoon, Magister Astalor Bloodsworn was not content with this idea. After long months of study and experimentation, he and his fellow wizards learned how to manipulate and corrupt the naaru's luminous energies. In the end the wizards devised a process by which the powers of the Light could be transferred to recipients who had not earned such abilities. Instead of feeding upon the naaru's magic, the blood elves would wield the naaru's Light-given powers themselves.

Lady Liadrin, formerly a priestess, had recently renounced her vows, for she felt the Light had abandoned her people. She learned of the wizards' achievement and volunteered to be the first to bend the stolen powers to her will. With her decision a new order was born: the Blood Knights. These renegade paladins are able to harness the sacred powers of the Alliance's noblest heroes.

-source

In-game Lore
This is the lore found in the game world through quests and dialogues

[AC] Argent Crusade testing new members
Behind our chapel, you will find a small crypt. Interred within are the bodies of our fallen heroes; those who gave their lives in the war against the Scourge. Their spirits are at peace, but they return intermittently to test new members of the order. The three of you may test together. Enter the crypt, then read from this scroll. Lord Raymond George - my predecessor - will preside over your test.
-source

[D][AC] Holy Ground, cleansing of dark taint
This temple [Shrine of Unending Light, Shattrath] is one of the holiest places in all of Outland. The power of the Light here is so strong, that even items with the strongest fel taint can be cleansed of a worldly item. Should you run into any fel armaments in your confrontations with demonic enemies, bring them to me and I will demonstrate the cleansing power of the Light.
-source

Can you sense it? The taint is already lifting from this building. A holy building wants to be holy, and villains like Rohan and the rest of his Scarlet scum only hold it back. With the abbey secure, we are a step closer to taking Tyr's Hand. Report the results of our strike to Angela. She should be leading the charge on the cathedral from somewhere in the center of town.
-source

[O] Hint of a goblin afterlife?
It's up to you now. Are you going to come back to life and be the hero that your fellow survivors need you to be, or are you going to rest for eternity here? Only you can decide. Don't go into the Light, !
-source

[CotHL] Light of the laity?
Have you embraced the Holy Light yet, ? It is through the Holy Light that we are saved! It is through the Holy Light that I am able to heal these overly demanding soldiers! And it is through the Holy Light that you will be able to venture out into the field to the north and rescue our fallen brothers! Take this prayer book with you into the field and cast the Light's healing touch on the injured.
-source

[O] By the Light of my heart
I convinced A'dal and his brethren to return here with me. I believe that only their power can drive the Legion from this universe. But as you will no doubt find - their power must first live in our hearts. To combat the darkness, we must become beacons of their eternal Light.
-Archmage Khadgar, Shattrath City

[CotHL] The Light hates the Scourge!
Your service has been exemplary, , but there is something that is troubling me: the Scourge.
The Light cannot abide their presence, and neither shall we. I hope that it is not asking you too much, but I would have you return north to Gjalerbron and crush the unholy Scourge in that vile lair! Be sure to check for them in the Waking Halls beneath Gjalerbron as well. Purification is the key to salvation, my child. Make us proud!
-source

[AC] Brotherhood of the Light
The Brotherhood of Light has a history of brash, thoughtless decisions. They bridged a gap between the Scarlet Crusade and the Argent Dawn. They were among the first to plunge into Northrend, while many of us lingered behind. However, they also have a history of getting results, which I respect. They fight on two fronts now: one battle in Stratholme, and another, more immediate battle to the south at Tyr's Hand. I suggest you speak with Angela Dosantos at Tyr's Hand. You may be of service.
-source

[AC] Holy Artifacts exist!
Within these barracks, the sniveling Scarlet Crusaders cling to their priceless artifacts, even though some of the objects are too holy for their now-undead hand to touch. So they keep them in chests, hidden from the world. You will find these artifacts, and bring them back to me. They belong to be among the Argent Crusade. They belong in the hands of the righteous.
-source

[D] Did the Draenei follow the Light before the flight from Argus, or did some of the Draenei fall to the Legion after the flight from argus?
Socrethar... I remember that name. He was once a renowned warrior of the Light and pride was his only flaw. [Priestess Ishanah of the Aldor about Socrethar, a man’ari eredar ‘leader’]
-source

[D] The Aldor hates the Legion…duh!
As you probably know, , the Aldor are keepers of the Light and servants of the naaru. Diametrically opposed to us are the agents of the Burning Legion - demons bent on the destruction of worlds and the corruption of the innocent. If you wish to prove yourself to the Aldor, bring me the insignias of low-ranking Legion and their Shadow Council followers. We know of a Shadow Council hideout in the Bone Wastes and there are many Legion outposts in Nagrand and the Blade's Edge Mountains.
-source

[D] Redemption and freedom
The time has come for us to embrace the Feralfen and teach them that the Light has not forsaken them. Take the potion I've prepared and carry it with you to the Boha'mu Ruins. Once you arrive at the ruins, drink the potion to assume the form of one of their bird spirits. Speak with Elder Kuruti and let him know the draenei are ready to welcome his people as our long lost brothers.

[Completion] They refused? They are welcome to choose their own path, of course, but their choice surprises me. I would think that all the draenei, including the Broken and Lost Ones, would still remember that we're all a part of the same people. I suppose he is right about the folly of deceiving them, but still, could he not see that our intentions were friendly?
-source

[D] Velen cares
I am moved, . Prophet Velen has been in closely guarded seclusion. He has dared not waste his energy on anything save preparing for the final confrontation he has foretold. And yet, he came here, in person, to comfort a single dying soul. I must thank you as well, for helping me make my last effort to comfort my friend. My research will continue... and I hope that Magtoor will continue to watch over me.
-source

[AC] The Light…is PISSED!
The Mossflayers of Zul'Mashar spit in the face of the Light! They cannibalize, they criminalize, they prioritize the forces of evil over good! I advise that you remove their eyes, and give rise to the demise and the goodbyes of the unwise! You will travel north, and you will rain down on them with righteous justice and indignation, . The fury that they have wrought in the eyes of the Light shall be channeled through you.
-source

[SC] Pain leads to purity!...or does it?
I joined the Scarlet Crusade as a young paladin, eager to cleanse the world of evil. Little did I know of the dark truth to these fanatics. Interrogator Vishas and Bloodmage Thalnos oversee this graveyard. They take great pleasure in torturing new recruits endlessly to ensure that they are 'pure'. It is an affront to the light, ! No longer can I be a part of this corrupt organization. You're going to have to kill them both, so that others will never endure the same pain I did.
-source

[D] The Light touches us all
As a paladin, you're no stranger to the Light that touches all of us. But you also have the unique power to call upon the Light to help you in battle. While under the effects of the Seal of Righteousness, each melee attack will deal extra holy damage. From time to time, you can also use Judgement to unleash your seal's power for another attack. I want you to try out these techniques using the training dummies to the northwest of the Crash Site.
-source

[BE][D] Redemption of the Blood Knights (the Naaru –can- talk)
General Tiras'alan says: Why do you suffer the presence of this despicable Lady Liadrin? She and her followers distort the Light and make a mockery of all we stand for!
A'dal says: Patience, general. The Light embraces all who enter Shattrath in good faith.
A'dal says: You are welcome in Shattrath, Lady Liadrin. We have long awaited your arrival.
Lady Liadrin says: Thank you for allowing me to speak, A'dal. I know many of your allies despise me and my knights for our treatment of M'uru.
Lady Liadrin says: When he was given to us by 'Prince' Kael'thas, we believed his power would help lead our people into a new age.
Lady Liadrin says: I've come to realize our path was a false one. We were betrayed by the man we called our prince. In his lust for power, he sent the felblood to attack us, and spirit M'uru away to the Sunwell.
A'dal says: Both our peoples suffered greatly at the hands of Kael'thas and his agents, Lady Liadrin. Your people were not the authors of their own fate, but they will die if they do not change. M'uru accepted his role long ago, knowing full well what would happen to him. Will you accept your own?
Lady Liadrin says: I... I don't understand. You -- and M'uru -- knew all along that this would occur?
A'dal says: It wasn't I who foretold it, but Velen of the Draenei:
A'dal says: 'Silvery moon, washed in blood,'
A'dal says: 'Led astray into the night, armed with sword of broken Light.'
A'dal says: 'Broken, then betrayed by one, standing there bestride the sun.'
A'dal says: 'At darkest hour, redemption comes, in knightly lady sworn to blood.'
Lady Liadrin says: I see it clearly now. I renounce my loyalties to House Sunstrider and its false prince.
Lady Liadrin says: I pledge the blades of my Blood Knights to the defeat of Kil'jaeden and the restoration of Silvermoon.
Lady Liadrin says: We will fight beside you, A'dal.
A'dal says: The Shattered Sun Offensive will surely benefit from the addition of your knights, Lady Liadrin.
General Tiras'alan walks over to Lady Liadrin as A'dal speaks to give her a [Tabard of the Shattered Sun], which she puts on.
A'dal says: The battle for the Sunwell is but the first step on your new path, Lady Liadrin. Shattrath is open to you and all who follow you.
-source

[BE] By the Light of the Sun!
Lady Liadrin says: My brothers and sisters, words cannot describe what I felt upon seeing the Sunwell rekindled.
Lady Liadrin says: In that moment, the Light revealed to me the truth of the terrible things I had done.
Lady Liadrin says: Our people had walked a dark path and mine was among the darkest of them all.
Lady Liadrin says: But the Light showed me that I was not lost. It helped me to find the strength to survive in spite of all that had happened and all the evil I had wrought.
Lady Liadrin says: It is a strength that we sin'dorei all share. It is a strength we will need to free ourselves of the addiction ravaging our people.
Lady Liadrin says: It will be the most difficult battle we have ever faced, but our resolve and the power of the Sunwell will sustain us until we have been restored to our greatness.
-source

[D] Grand Anchorite’s Mass
Friends, it is my great pleasure to welcome you to the temple today.
A'dal has been most generous in his revelations to me, a humble servant of the light.
In accordance with my divine calling, I must share these revealed truths to all who would hear.
It has been made known to me that inside each of us, the Light resides...
...that it is a gift, given freely to all naturally born beings.
It manifests itself as a feeling, small at first and easily ignored, that confirms truths and subtly prods one to do good.
Simple kindnesses, charitable deeds, service to those in need. These are all fruits of the Light.
It rewards those who heed its promptings with blessings, both seen and unseen.
Personal reservoirs of hope and faith are strengthened, and one's capacity for greater light increases.
Over the course of time, through obedience to the Light's guidance, one becomes more sensitive to its voice, and its power.
Great is the healing and blessing power of the Light's most diligent followers.
Sadly, there are those who wander through mortality in defiance of the Light.
From these the Light withdraws, until only darkness remains.
Where there is no light, despair, loathing and rage thrive.
We are born into a perilous age, where the forces of darkness are determined to bring about our destruction.
These are the times to find yourselves in unison with the Light.
Hear my words, and let the Light inside of you confirm the truth of them.
Embrace the light that is in you, my friends! Deny yourself all darkness...
We must endure these trying times faithfully, and one day we will find ourselves victorious.
By the naaru, may it be so.
-source

[D] The Aldor Mass
Harbringer Erothem says: Anchorite Nindumen, I have a request to make of you.
Anchorite Nindumen says: Of course, my friend. How can I be of service to you?
Harbringer Erothem says: We've just send another inexperienced squad into Nagrand. Might you offer a prayer for them?
Anchorite Nindumen says: A noble request. It would be an honor, Erothem.

My friends, please join me in humble supplication to the Light.
Light that we embrace, we beseech thee...
Into our struggle against the darkness we have sent our children.
Please bless and protect them, and grant them success over those who seek to do us harm...
Continue to bless this, our ancient home, we beg.
Bless us with tolerance for our elven visitors.
By the Naaru, may it be so.

Habringer Erothem: May it be so.
Anchorite Attendants: May it be so.

-Mass outside of the Shrine of Unending Light, Aldor Rise

[CotHL] Forgive, or fall from the Light!
Uther the Lightbringer says: Arthas...
Uther the Lightbringer says: Alas, hero of Azeroth, you give me a greater gift than you know.
Uther the Lightbringer says: Long have I struggled to forgive the prince for his terrible transgressions.
Uther the Lightbringer says: My soul has been wracked with unbearable anxiety, dark thoughts... distancing me from the Light.
Uther the Lightbringer says: I recall clearly the gleam of pride in his eye as he stood before me, eager to defeat the enemies of the Light...
Uther the Lightbringer says: Eager to defend his people, no matter the cost.
Uther the Lightbringer says: It is this memory of Arthas that I choose to keep in my heart.
Uther the Lightbringer says: I shall always be in your debt, friend.
Uther the Lightbringer says: Thank you.

[SC] Silence, the Light is speaking.
The voice whispered: "Come to me." From the very beginning I knew that it was the Holy Light speaking to me in dreams. At last! After all of my years of prayers and good deeds, the cleansing of the blight of the unliving from the face of Azeroth. After all of the failures and resurrections.

Finally!
It happened again. "Come to me ..." the Light commanded.
I woke up freezing, but it wasn't cold in my chambers. I'm going to redouble my efforts! I'll tell the high abbot tomorrow that I want prayers increased. No more half-measures!
The Holy Light has taken notice of our good work. I can feel it!

This time I was awake! It was very vivid, and yet for over a minute, in the middle of the warm, sunny day, my breath came out misted and chill. One of the priests noticed and dropped to his knees in prayer. No one else heard the voice, thought. At least the witness proves that I'm not going insane. Maybe I should ask Landgren to pray on the matter? I'll get Jordan and Street to scrutinize their recruiting efforts tomorrow. We've grown bloated with ranks of unbelievers who yearn only to destroy the undead. That's not enough!

The Commander and the Bishop were both receptive. Not that they had any choice. Bishop Street in particular seemed very enthusiastic. He spoke of a revival for the Crusade and swore to ferret out the weak of faith within our ranks. I told him to go easy. I've no intention of destroying the Crusade. However, I do like the sound of forming an elite cadre of the most faithful to do the Light's bidding in Northrend. I fear the man's friendship with LeCraft is slowly twisting him. They both have their uses, though.
-- High General Abbendis

[D] If you don’t pay your Light-bill, you get cut off…
The fel energies also had the side-effect on the Broken and the Lost Ones of cutting us off from the Light. At the time I did not know exactly why, but as a vindicator I insisted on finding out. I decided to make a pilgrimage to do just that. And so it was that after the war came to its fateful end, I journeyed into the desert of the fragmented planet, beseeching the Light to return to us. But decades passed, and the Light never answered my prayers.
-Farseer Nobundo’s tale

[D] Shamans are HERETICS
Velen urged me to take a leadership role amongst the Broken. But more importantly, he asked me to teach shamanism to all; Broken and draenei alike. I accepted. We knew then that given the prejudices of some that this would be a difficult proposition at best. There are those that despise the Broken because we are a frightening reminder of the past. And there are others who believe the way of the shaman to be a blasphemy against the Light.
-Farseer Nobundo’s tale

[O] You are either with us...or against us!
If the touch of the blessed Naaru, A'dal, is not enough to bring the arakkoa to redemption, nothing will be. Those who have not given themselves over to the Light are mere servants of evil.
-source

[D]Ressurection, it is not flawless!
It is done, . Socrethar has been destroyed. I and the others will recover from our wounds, . The wrath of Socrethar's magic was far too much for young Kaylaan, however. Not even my strongest prayer could raise him.It is an unbearable pity that one so young would fall in battle. However, in the end his will was strong enough to recover from the Legion's corruption and we may find solace in that.
-source

[AC][CotHL] Light and Spirits – exorcism and guidance to the next life
Well done, . To render the judgment of the Light on those that dwell in darkness is a task we must approach with vim and zeal; you have done just that with your sacrifice in Ironforge and your judgments of the spirits in Terrordale. Your next steps will call on both sacrifice and judgment again as you now strive to reclaim the spirit of a fallen charger who now serves a Death Knight known as Darkreaver.
-source

This is a tragic land, with a history of violence and despair. While many of the dead roam in the flesh, some are simply lost souls, wandering in confusion. They deserve to be put at ease. Many of these souls gather at the Addle Stead to the south, appearing before travelers. Take this censer of holy incense. Sway it before the forlorn spirits, and let the offering of its gentle scent give them peace.
-source

Sorrow Hill, up the road to the northeast, was one of the first places that the Argent Crusaders and Cenarion Circle were able to heal. The area is now freed of the Scourge. However, there are still many specters of the past that, for some reason, have not passed on into the next world. They may be mourning, they may have unfinished business... or they may just be lost. Take my thurible and use it to douse them with holy incense. One way or another, we will help them move onto the next plane.
-source

Extended Universe
Facts from books, RPG-guides and other Warcraft games.

[CotHL] Uther’s warning
"Vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do. If we allow our passions to turn to bloodlust, then we will become as vile as the Orcs."
-Uther Lightbringer to Arthas Menethil

[CotHL] No one deserves it
"Lad, no one feels ready. No one feels he deserves it. And you know why? Because no one does. It's grace, pure and simple. We are inherently unworthy, simply because we're human, and all human beings--aye, and elves, and dwarves, and all the other races--are flawed. But the Light loves us anyway. It loves us for what we sometimes can rise to in rare moments. It loves us for what we can do to help others. And it loves us because we can help it share its message by striving daily to be worthy, even though we understand that we can't ever truly become so. So stand there today, as I did, feeling that you can't possibly deserve it or ever be worthy, and know that you're in the same place every single paladin has ever stood."
-Uther Lightbringer, Rise of the Lich King

[CotHL] There is a Hell, with or without a special place.
"I dearly hope that there's a special place in Hell waiting for you, Arthas."
-Uther Lightbringer, Warcraft III

[CotHL] Mages get a free ticket to hell!
"A paladin had indicated to Rhonin that he believed that, after death, the mage's soul would condemned to the same pit of darknes shared by the mythical demons of old. This no matter how pure Rhonin's soul might have been otherwise."
-Day of the Dragon

[CotHL] Light can be taken?
Uther the Lightbringer performed a ceremony to strip Tirion of his powers and sent him home to gather some supplies. Desperate to prevent Eitrigg from being executed for war crimes, Tirion rode back to Stratholme, where he attacked Eitrigg's guards. Surprised, they still managed to subdue him, until a group of orcs stormed into the city. Tirion used the distraction to free Eitrigg and flee the city. When they were in the wilds, Tirion saw that Eitrigg was near death, and did the only thing he could do; call upon the powers of the Light to heal the orc who had saved him. To his surprise, he still had the powers blessed by the Light and Eitrigg was saved.
-Blood and Honor

[CotHL][AC?]The Three Virtues of the Church of the Holy Light
CotHL adheres to a philosophy of the Three Virtues. Respect, Tenacity and Compassion. (No longer canon)
-source

[CotHL] The Three Bishops of the Church of the Holy Light
Hylan is a bishop within the Church of the Holy Light. He is one of the three bishops who have formed their own power bases within the council, one of the true powers behind the Church. Despite being one of the oldest remaining bishops, Hylan is still extremely active, and forceful enough to cow many younger men by sheer volume. A strong proponent of the old Church ways, Hylan disapproves of fraternizing with nonhumans and even with nonbelievers. He feels the Church would be better off concentrating on its own people and letting the rest of the world suffer, and says this at every opportunity. Despite his narrow-mindedness Hylan is genuinely devout, and can be surprisingly sympathetic when dealing with the Church’s followers. Those who have seen him in action cannot deny that Hylan has a strong connection to the Light.

Leander is a Bishop within the Church of the Holy Light and is a leader of one of three power bases within the council. A short, stout man, Leander likes his comforts and his books, and hates having to do without either. Leander feels everyone deserves the Church's blessing, not just those who attend services. But even more then protecting people or ministering their needs he wishes to spend his time in the libraries, and feels the rest of the Church should do the same. Leander is convinced that the Church has lost something essential, and that this missing element can be found by researching the Church's libraries and thus restore the wealth of knowledge that guided them in ages past.

Neheri is a Bishop within the Church of the Holy Light and is a leader of one of three power bases within the council. The youngest of the bishops, tall, powerfully built Neheri is part of the new order of the Church. He fought in the Third War, shoulder to shoulder with the night elves and the orcs, and actively attempts to recruit nonhumans. Neheri also feels the time of passive protection is long past - the Church needs to attack its enemies rather than waiting for them to strike. He is less concerned with his own behavior, feeling that priests should have some leeway in order to better protect their people. He has won most of the younger priests to his cause, and battles Hylan bitterly at every turn - the only place they agree is that the Church's followers deserve protection.
-Alliance Player’s Guide (no longer Canon)

Faith shall overcome
Though the sources of divine power are varied, its use has one constant: faith. Effectively wielding divine power requires tremendous conviction; the dedication required to achieve such perfect faith is a lifelong pursuit. Unlike arcane spellcasters who believe that power exists to be taken, divine spellcasters must constantly affirm that they are worthy of their gifts. They must be certain that they are properly honoring their gods, philosophies, ancestors or convictions. Perfect faith requires intense training and constant testing, which continues throughout the practitioner's lifetime. Of the many tests that a practitioner must face, two of the most common are ordeals and trials of faith.

When a divine spellcaster needs to test his convictions, he arranges to face a special personal challenge in which he affirms his faith by enduring torment. The specific challenge depends on the practitioner's background. A druid of the wild or a shaman might journey into the wilderness and survive storms of preternatural intensity without magical aid. A healer might lock himself in an enclosed area with plague victims and share their meat and water. A shadow hunter might venture onto grounds consecrated to the Old Gods and spill his own blood to entice the forces of primeval cruelty to come and visit their worst afflictions upon him.
-Magic&Mayhem, RPG book. (no longer Canon)

Last edited by Melnerag on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:37 pm; edited 7 times in total
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

[Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light Empty Re: [Guide] The Sacred Duty, a guide to the Holy Light

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Interpretations of the Facts
In this section I will try to interpret the facts by connecting them together and reading between the lines.

It boils down to Faith?
Blizzard have revealed that in the end the Holy Light is about faith, which confirms (or is confirmed) by the no-longer canon RPG book. At least when dealing with the Holy type of divine magic, Faith is the key. The fact that the Light depends on the personal faith of the wielder does not mean that it is wholly subjective. There is an actual thing, a sort of energy if you will, named the Holy Light. That energy also has some very specific qualities which manifest despite the nuances in the personal faith of the believer:
• Holy Spells have a golden glow
• Holy Magic causes pain to the Undead
• Holy Magic is capable of cleansing Fel-taint
• Holy Magic can be woven into objects (relics) and places (holy ground)
• Holy Magic is capable of exorcising restless spirits or guiding them into ‘an afterlife’
• Holy Magic is capable of restoring people from the dead, as long as they have not been dead for too long.
• Holy Magic is tied to ‘fire’ and ‘burning’, although Holy Fire is distinct from Elemental Fire.
• Holy Damage itself does not seem to be physical. (you can’t break a skull with it)
• Connection to the Light can be severed by Fel Magic

It must also be noted that the Holy Light is the only form of Divine Magic that is tied not to a clear-cut entity, but to an abstract. Spirits worshipped by Shamans can be seen and spoken two, Nature revered by the Druids is all around and gods ranging from Yogg’saron to Elune have a clear form and personality. They are clear, concrete entities and Faith in them is clear-cut. The Light is more complicated than that, and I personally feel that it is valid to ask the following question: did the Light somehow show itself to first ‘priests’, who then began worshipping it, or did the first worshippers worship something they called the Light and caused it to manifest?

Regardless of the answer to that question, there is right now an established outline of what the Holy Light is. It seems to be tied closely with healing, purity, solace, grace, order, justice, protection of the weak and altruism. I cannot answer the question whether since it all boils down to Faith, it must be possible for somebody who rejects all of the above to still worship the Light and receive holy powers. For now I will leave this unanswered, but return to it in the next section.

What is Faith anyway?
I am certain men greater than me have written huge books on this answer. There are as many definitions of faith as there are philosophers. And I have no idea what definitions the Blizzard used. So, allow me to speculate and attempt to guess what sort of ‘Faith’ is meant in the context of divine spellcasting.
1. Faith is the implicit acceptance of a divine reality and a sacred order.
2. Faith is the self-evidence of oneself being in touch with this divine reality, in tune with the sacred order and a yearning to reach towards it.
3. Faith is the spiritual strength used to repel assaults on the divine reality, sacred order and the personal worthiness as well as the strength used to reaffirm the above.

Some clarification is in order. By Point 1 I mean that in order to have faith, the believer must be absolutely confident that there exists something more transcended than the physical reality that triggers his awe and deserves his reverence. This entity is responsible for a sacred order of things, a scheme which gives sense and meaning to reality. In the case of True Faith this conviction in existence of a divine reality and sacred order will be as self-evident as faith in the force of gravity. No man would ever let a cup of tea unattended in mid-air in hope that it would stay there.

Point 2 is more subtle. Once the existence of something Greater is accepted, a person can take several attitudes towards it. It can be one of almost philosophical indifference, where it is accepted as a fact of nature and is given no meaning or value to human life. It can result in a sense of divinely-inspired dread and fatalism, where power is seen as something to be avoided rather than sought and influence of it must be accepted and treated as a burden. At last in can result in a sense of awe and reverence, and a desire to reach out and touch the divine. (This can also be felt to Evil deities, but with different nuances). In the end, it is this desire to reach the divine that is necessary for Faith. Inevitably the faithful must feel himself to be ‘worthy’ in the eyes of the Divinity he is accessing. A man-god relationship in which the man feels himself unworthy cannot result in holy powers in this setting.

Point 3 refers to Faith-related willpower rather than the faith itself. I am making this distinction because it is conceivable that the most fanatical of priests who will stop at nothing to address every blasphemy may still be cowed by his wife to eat lettuce every evening. Faith requires willpower, but Faith inspires willpower as well. In the end, every faithful man must somehow address the attempts from the outside to undermine the sacred order he holds dear. This can be done with a large hammer, but it can also be done by somehow reconciling the threatening reality with the divine illusion. For instance a faithful who believes that the Undead are abandoned by the Light may explain away the Forsaken using the Light as ‘not really using the Light, just an advanced form of magic disguised to look as the Light to decrease alliance morale!’ Divine Reality needs to be constantly reaffirmed, because the world keeps challenging it. In this light, the third point can be seen as ‘resilience’ of the faith.

United in Diversity

All races had an extensive and complete culture long before they have embraced the Light. Every sociologist will tell you that the way we view the world depends strongly on our culture. When the races first began exploring the mysteries of the Light, they inevitably penned them down through the lens of their culture. When they understood enough of the Light to feel a sense of awe and yearning to touch the divine, they asked “How do we become worthy?” and have answered this question based on the conceptions of good, justice and virtue already existing in their own culture. Considering the most influential followers of the Light in human culture were the Paladins of the Silver Hand, it is no mystery why ideals of honor, duty, protection of the weak, punishment of injustices and smiting of evil are strong. After all, these are the Chivalric ideals which were probably present in human culture long before it produced paladins. When they asked “How do we become worthy of Light’s blessings”, they answered it with their code of chivalry.

Similarly, when Uther Lightbringer conducted an elaborate ceremony to strip Tirion Fordring of his powers, it only worked because the cultural upbringing Tirion enjoyed made him believe that his worthiness was stripped from him. Similarly, when he called upon the Light again to rescue Eitrigg the cultural ‘block’ placed by Uther was broken by an even powerful conviction. Apparently Tirion believed more in honor, justice and saving lives than he did in Church and Uther’s authority.

In the end, every culture sees the Light in its own way and approaches the great questions of its identity and personal worthiness differently. This approach is to a degree binding to every member of that culture. For instance, it will be hard for a Scarlet Crusade to believe that killing innocents for the greater good is wrong. As a result, it is hard for a member of a faction to deviate from the established dogma of his group.

Holy Magic
Receiving Light’s Powers and casting Flash Heal are two different things. It is apparent from several quests that the act of divine spellcasting requires training and expertise. It is an actual spell the caster must learn to master. Faith is the pre-requisite needed to summon the power needed to fuel the spell. Let us suppose that a teenage archmage got tired with magic he has already mastered to the last cantrip, and decides to learn all divine spells in his free time. His favorite dog dies, and he tries to resurrect it. His spellcraft is brilliant, but he has no real faith in the existence of the divine, no real conviction that he is in touch with it. His spell would simply not work.

Now, let us suppose a young and an inexperienced paladin who has faith and has just mastered the resurrection-spell is trying to raise his beloved wife who died in a bandit-raid. Raising her would force him to confront the cultural blocks that came with his faith, he will need to prove for himself that it is somehow better that she lives again rather than finds peace in the afterlife, that she is deserving of an another chance and that he has the wisdom to make the right call. Inability to reconcile the above will result in the spell failing.

If Velen is to be trusted, there is also a ‘resistance’ to Holy Magic inherent in the universe itself. ‘The Light does not reign unopposed’. It can be a Draenei-only belief, but it can also be an objective fact. Considering the Draenei are not worse priests than Humans, it probably means that it is not something that affects Draenei alone. It is more likely that the Universe itself does somehow resist the act of Holy Spellcasting. This can be the effect of the Fel, or the Shadow. That I leave unanswered. Depending on the magnitude of the impact, there is some threshold the caster must overcome with his faith for the spell to have any chance of succeeding. Healing a minor cut has a tiny threshold, raising every fallen paladin from the dead to fight again has a threshold so high that not even Velen can do it.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:19 pm

The Guide to the Holy Light
In this part I will take my interpretation and try to run with it, creating a view on the Holy Light that I believe to be not wrong and that is fun and awesome to role-play.

The Holy Light of Creation
The Universe is filled with a transcendent power mortals call the Holy Light. This power can be compared to the other great powers that are at play in the cosmos – the Arcane and the Fel. The Holy Light touches all living creatures and binds them together by an invisible bond. Whenever a Holy Spell is cast, the caster taps into this divine reality overlapping with our own physical plane.

Just like every other school of magic, the Holy Light has certain inalienable properties. It negates the effects of Fel magic, being able to cleanse the taint. It brings great pain to the undead. It is capable of restoring the wounds and even pulling creatures back from the Dead. The Light is capable of granting solace to lost spirits and exorcising those that refuse to pass onto the next world. Since Shadow is often associated with death and undeath, the Light is apparently capable of negating the effects of Shadow as well as the fel.

When summoned into the physical world, the Light always manifests itself in certain ways. The Light takes the form of bright golden glow, sometimes with hues of white and fiery orange. The Light is closely tied to the power of the soul, and is capable of affecting it both positive and negative ways. The Light can also ‘cling’ to objects and places, making them holy. Holy Places are an anathema to the Undead and may assist holy spell casting in their premises. Holy objects have actual power, but also strengthen the Faith of the man who possesses them.

Divine Power
Those who seek to tap into the great power of the Holy Light must first overcome a challenge. Arcane is available to all who would seek it, power of the Light is available only to those who bridge the gap between their soul and the divine reality. To do so, they require Faith. Faith is a state of mind which takes decades to reach. In the end, all followers of the Light yearn to the divine and strive to become worthy of Light’s blessings. Whatever their personal interpretations and cultural baggage, Faith in the Light always means Faith in selfless good and a desire to lead a virtuous life. How that faith is expressed, depends on the cultural interpretation of Good and Virtue.

An aspiring follower of the Light will undergo many challenges on his path. He will have to develop an implicit trust in the doctrines of his religion, as interpreted by his culture. On this path every doubt in the sanctity of the virtues he pursues is fatal to the faith. Young aspirant will also have to face his apparent insignificance in the face of the Divine, and answer to himself the painful question: “Why am I worthy?” After being confronted with the splendor of the Light, this question will keep haunting the student until the end of days. With every breath he takes he must seek to answer it without a shadow of a doubt. To question your worthiness is to slay your faith. Those who maintain their devotion to the divine truths of their religion and are confident in their worthiness will rise in power as time progresses. Their connection to the Light will strengthen and they will be capable of drawing on more and more of its powers.

Prayer and Ritual – an affirmation of faith
The Light is not a god. The Light does not think or feel. Why then do the faithful speak their prayers, and why do their prayers apparently work? Most sincere prayers take place in the solemn setting of the holy places and are shrouded in ancient and powerful rituals. Rituals meant to evoke the most deep feelings, rituals that are full of cultural symbolism as old as the civilization and touching the strings of the soul. The act of prayer is the ultimate physical confirmation of unity, or at least a connection, between the mortal and the Light. The act of prayer, at least temporarily, lifts any doubts the faithful may have about the existence and benevolence of the Divine. The faith is also a process of feedback. When wording his prayer, the Faithful strengthens his own conviction in whatever he is praying for; especially when thousand others kneel and repeat the prayer by his side. By listening to his own words, and words of others, the faithful receives confirmation of his own faith.

Prayer is also based on the belief that the Light is capable of hearing prayers. When prayer is spoken with conviction, the faithful is persuaded that his personal will is condoned by Light’s will. Sincere prayer, paired with faith give the believer a rare and comforting knowledge that the Light is on his side with his undertaking. Such knowledge has clear psychological effects that have nothing at all to do with magic, and that enable the faithful to accomplish seemingly impossible feats. There is also a magical component, because next the faithful attempts to cast his spell he will enjoy the benefit of greater faith and knowledge that the Light is on his side. Prayer can also have a reciprocal effect; knowing that you are being prayed for may increase your personal faith and also give you a sense of the Light being on your side.

Meditation – the search for truth
Meditation is an attempt to reach altered states of mind and shift the balance between consciousness and unconsciousness. When meditating, the faithful are capable of addressing their questions and doubts by other, more effective means than conscious and rational seeking. In one form of meditation the Faithful may remind himself of his connection to all living creatures, and his personal yearning for Good. In such a state it will be his heart and his kindest emotions that will offer a perspective on the problems at hand.

In another he may focus on nothing, and plunge into the depths of his soul in order to seek counsel of memories he could not consciously access. In such a state he may find a revelation of the mistakes he had made in the past, that still haunt him subconsciously and prevent him from feeling worthy of Light’s blessings. Whatever the form, meditation is done to find peace and escape from the reality dominated by senses and rational thoughts and to find a different perspective on every question.

Masters of meditation may find benefit of the altered states of mind long after they have ended the meditation proper. Such men and women may remain serene and calm, letting turbulent emotions of others and apparent trouble wash over them like waves on a beach.

Affirmation of Faith
Every faithful seeks out confirmation of his beliefs. Confirmation is not the same as rational, logical proof of faith. This affirmation is greatly dependant on culture. The servants of the Holy Light may undergo harrowing trials and ordeals of Faith, putting themselves before seemingly impossible and arbitrary challenges which they overcome by the power of their will (and perhaps divine guidance). Every-day activity of the faithful may also serve as a form of affirmation. For instance, the Scarlet Crusaders may find reassurance by slaying the Scourge. In doing so, they confirm to themselves that they are doing Light’s Work and are therefore worthy of its blessings.

Role-playing Idea #1 : The Grand Charade
Faith is greatly dependant on culture and the personal state of mind. In the end, it is the physical world that may assist the mind to cope with challenges and which shapes the way thoughts evolve. It is not inconceivable that various religions have developed elaborate rituals which are deeply rooted in the collective psyche of the people. Such rituals may not always be grand ceremonies done in cathedrals, even something subtle and small may hold great power. The rules of courtesy are so deeply rooted, that whenever we are confronted by courtesy and politeness that seems sincere we immediately feel safe and at ease knowing that we will not be threatened, insulted or made uncomfortable in this company.

Organized religions of Azeroth are likely to have the whole array of tools, from handshakes to 3-day-masses which are meant to help the faithful cope with their problems and strengthen their faith in the Holy Light. To an outside observer this may seem like a ruse, a fraud, a charade set up by the priests. Despite the accusations, the rituals do have power and are capable of having a real effect. Highly ritualized religion may very well be capable of making the spiritual journey of new priests much easier and much faster. There is no arguing with the fact that effective rituals and audience capable of receiving have real effect. Perhaps this is why the Humans are capable of reaching such spiritual heights in such short lifespans, could they be the true masters of symbolic rituals, suspension of disbelief and effective ceremony?

Here is your homework: if you are role-playing a priest or a paladin, if you are a simple member of a holy guild or the guild master…find small rituals your character does when faced with X. May be he speaks a highly conventional prayer and recites the deeds of Uther after failing a task, which enables him to see his failure as something natural and even necessary on the road of progression rather than a ‘proof’ that he is unworthy? If you are in a position to do so, turn such rituals into events for your guild…or entire community.

Role-playing Idea #2 : Affirmations of Faith
Faith must be confirmed. Over and over again. Different cultures find different ways of doing it. The Draenei may find certainty in the utopian society they have built, and maintaining it could very well be the only confirmation of personal worth they truly need. Human priests may have the need to undergo dreadful trials, ranging all the scope from praying to criminals in back alleys of Stormwind to mortifying their own flesh. No matter how mad, somebody has probably done it already.

In the end, doing ‘Lights Will’ is the ultimate confirmation of personal worthiness and failing to do one’s duty to the Light is the ultimate proof of unworthiness. The Draenei may carry the torch of their culture and seek to combat the Legion, the Scarlets need to push on with their relentless onslaught against the undead while simple men and women of Stormwind might just need to attend the Sunday mass and say the right words.

Light’s Will and the constant desire to serve it is what spawns bigotry, zealotry and all the dark sides of Faith. A simple peasant convinced that the Undead are an affront to the Light will be incapable of accepting the Death Knights. To him, accepting them would be a proof of his own failure and a cause of a whole array of mental issues that would spawn from that.

Here is your homework: find ways in which your character affirms his or her worthiness before the Light, and make them actually role-playable. Then establish what your character perceives as Light’s Will and act on it. If you are an advanced role-player, try to incorporate successes and failures in affirming the faith and doing Light’s will into your character. This may manifest itself as a whole array of psychological quirks and even disorders. For instance, a Scarlet Crusade suddenly becomes very amiable and joyous after getting his undead-slaying quota for the day, or a Paladin avoids women like the plague because when he was a squire, he allowed himself to be guided by passion which caused him to fall out of grace and lose years of progress. He is phobic about it repeating.

Role-playing idea #3 : Corrupting the Faithful/Being Corrupted
Now that we know more about the Light and the Faith, we also know more about how ruin it! As far as I am aware, most cultists try to break the character’s faith in the Light by undermining his belief that the Light is worthy of being followed. This is of course one day to do it – shatter the illusion of divine reality and sacred order, and you break the faith. This is incidentally also the reason why most characters have ever gone ‘corrupt’ – they became disillusioned with the Light.

Another way to go about it is to completely destroy the sense of being worthy. The ‘easy’ way to do it is to trick a good character into doing a despicable deed. If you trick a paladin into destroy a village full of innocents, chances are good he will never be able to forgive himself and as a result will be incapable of wielding the Light. With some luck, he may be so desperate that he would fall straight into Darkness. As far as I know, I’ve not encountered a single character who was corrupted/fell out of grace in this way.

Alternatively, if you know the character, you can dig in his past and show him that he has already done something horrible. Life throws constant challenges at us, and the faithful need to overcome them and reconcile them with their world-view. Sometimes such reconciliations are fragile at best, and a skillful manipulator can shatter them. It is also possible for a character to come to a realization that he did wrong, and break his own illusions. In both cases the faith, and ability to wield the Light, may be destroyed. For instance, Exaythe has many such episodes and whenever somebody does or says something that may shatter her illusions that it was all somehow not terribly wrong, she lashes out at them with some good dose of anger.

Here is your homework: make several ‘weak points’ in your character’s faith. It can be anything from having a hard time excusing why the Forsaken can use the Light, being unable to recover after Arthas’ betrayal, to having slain a caravan of Lordaeron refugees because your commander told you that they were all plagued. Then incorporate these weak points into your character. He can constantly seek to prove to himself that all is fine. For instance the man who slew a caravan can constantly look for histories of places that allowed a plague caravan to enter and got wiped out as a result. Or the character can neurotically avoid anything that may shatter his belief. This can mean calling the one questioning you a heretic and whacking him with a hammer, walking away from conversation or going on a self-excusing rant that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

Role-playing Idea #4 – The Path of Enlightenment
The Light is a path, not an end. Most role-played Holy characters are established and complete priests and paladins. But we forget that the Light takes decades, may be even centuries, to truly master.

Your character can have lingering doubts about the Light or about himself. For instance he once was unable to save a friend who drowned on a frozen river when he was 10, now he is afraid that he will let something like that happen again, which is an obstacle on his path. Or he saw his entire village wiped out in a matter of minutes, and simply cannot let the question rest….’How could the Light allow this to happen?”

Your character may have situations he is incapable of handling because of his past experiences or other psychological reasons. May be he is completely incapable of facing the succubi because that is how his old teacher found his end, and he believes his teacher to be a much better man than himself. May be his old commander sacrificed ten men to cover the retreat of a hundred, and one of sacrificed was his best friend. Now a commander himself, this character will never, ever leave people behind even when it is necessary which will result in bad decisions and bad outcomes further down the line.

Here is your homework: write down at least 10 things which rise as obstacles on your character’s path towards the Light, no matter how advanced and great he is. Then either let them rest as recurring handicaps of your character, or solve them one by one. You can keep thinking up new ones all the time, or thinking new one for every 2 you solve. Basically, decide for yourself if you want your character to overcome all of them one day, or always struggle with something.

Role-playing Idea #5 – Atonement
Let’s face it, the Light is complicated. I cannot imagine any character succeeding in walking the path for decades without slipping at least once, even if early on in the training. Some men abandon the Path once they fail once, others do not give up even if their failure is of epic proportions. At any given time, there must be people out there who fell out of grace and are busy proving to the Authority (and ultimately to themselves) that they are forgiven, and worthy of Light’s touch again.

Atonement can be harsh or easy, but it can also be rational. The character knows what he did wrong, is confident he can be redeemed and receives help of his friends in his endeavor. There is a lot to say on the specifics, but ultimately it is not very exciting in itself. Much more interesting is the case where the character is frightened and unsure, he is afraid of what would happen if he fails to atone; perhaps the authority and all his friends have already declared him beyond redemption? Such people may develop a completely different stance on redemption. Some may reconcile with the fact that they cannot be forgiven, but continue Light’s will as dark and faceless champions of Good who prowl the world but never stop to take praise and credit. Some may become neurotic wrecks, obsessed and frightened, making wrong decisions and bad choices and only ending up in more trouble. For instance a young priest who fell out of grace will persuade himself that he must find it in his heart to forgive everybody in order to be saved, and ends up inviting himself to Deathwing’s secret lair to tell Deathwing that he forgives him for breaking Danath’s statue.

Here is your homework: your character has fallen out of grace at least once. Write (an outline of) a short story on the specifics, and how he found atonement, and incorporate that fictional experience into your role-play. Alternatively, fall out of grace and RP out atonement.

Conclusion

I realize that this guide is incomplete, contains mistakes and could be better. My faith in its adequacy is shaky at best. I beseech you to send me any links to new lore-facts, write down your alternative interpretations to my conclusions, debate my eventual creative guide and simply ask questions so that I can improve unclear parts, or even include new sections. I need your replies, any replies to affirm the worthiness of this guide. If I don’t get any, I will suffer a mental collapse and go write an “Ultimate Guide to the Destruction of the Universe, or Handbook of the Burning Crusader”
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:22 pm

mother of god... *adjusts reading glasses*
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Incredible work as always. *removes hat*
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Added another piece of lore:

If the touch of the blessed Naaru, A'dal, is not enough to bring the arakkoa to redemption, nothing will be. Those who have not given themselves over to the Light are mere servants of evil.
-source

I convinced A'dal and his brethren to return here with me. I believe that only their power can drive the Legion from this universe. But as you will no doubt find - their power must first live in our hearts. To combat the darkness, we must become beacons of their eternal Light.
-Archmage Khadgar, Shattrath City
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:40 pm

I tip my chapeau to you, good sir.
Might have new members directed here if they aren't too knowledgeable on the Light.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 pm

First off, I want to thank you for writing this wonderful guide. I will be sure to contribute as much as I can by sending in any more quotes and lore factoids I can find to you. Mad props for popping open this thread for both educational purposes and to...

Open the debate! Yes, while I feel you present a very comprehensive and fruitful (for roleplay) interpretation, I do not think it is the only one. As such, I would like to provide an alternative vision. It in many ways excludes the other, so I encourage players to figure out for themselves which angle they prefer to accept for their roleplay, though I do not think this choice will be an active or relevant one for most roleplayers. It simply represents an opposing paradigm I myself prefer to operate in.

My alternative interpretation will have many similarities with yours but diverges at two very important core axioms.

The first is:

The Light is an intentional, in some form sapient entity, with a clear will that expresses itself trough the force we call the Light.

There is such a thing as the Light's favor one has to earn. The Light expresses its preference for some entities and disdain for others. It burns Fel and Shadow, and rewards certain acts of Will, most importantly acts of compassion and altruism. It is in this light Velen's prophecy should be interpreted. The Light is a force defined in many ways in opposition to other forces. Much like the elements are always warring among themselves, the Light and Shadow/Fel are stuck in eternal conflict as well. Their battlefield are the hearts and souls of mortals.

Though unknowable for mere mortals, the Light expresses its will trough the favor it bestows on them. One should not see the Light as a traditional anthropomorphic deity, Zeus on his throne smiting or rewarding at random, but rather as a benevolent entity that acts trough the magical force we call the Light or Divine Magic.

Enlightenment in this interpretation would be becoming perfectly in tune with this divine Will. Becoming a beacon of the Naaru's Light, as Khadgar puts it. Steel your heart against the influences of Fel and Shadow, and full heartedly give yourself to the Light. Rituals and prayer in this interpretation serve another purpose besides their psychological one. They are an actual attempt to commune with a Divine Will and request its favor, though of course flawed in that they are in the end mortal constructs. There can be a myriad of ways mortals have thought of to attempt to ask for divine favors. Scripture, rituals, prayer, hymns, statues, cathedrals; you name it.

The Light in this interpretation is an actual meaning-generating, normative, and judgmental force. Whether it sentient or sapient might not be the right question to ask, as such terms cannot be properly applied here. All we know is that it definitely has intentions and a Will. One we mortals must appease.

This axiom is closely related to the second...

The truth of the Light is revelatory in nature. Cultural norms do not precede it, but are manipulated by it.

This is most convincing in the case of the Draenei and the Naaru. It is an axiom that both strengthens the first and depends on it for support. The Light has a will, and the Revelation is the way in which this will is revealed to mortals. It is not something one knows or can deduce rationally, but a truth that is revealed to those with an open heart. “Open your hearts to the Naaru”, Draenei NPCs will often advice the travelers.

Closing remarks

Almost all of which Melnerag has written in this guide can be used within this interpretation as well. Some of the same storyline and advice for roleplayers can still be applied. However, the question of the sapience of the Light and the nature of its Will is an interesting one to reflect upon, though it might do little to affect your role play. The Light's will is incomprehensible after all, and there is no player, except for perhaps Metzen, that controls it.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I haven't read all of it yet, but one thing to keep in mind...

You are establishing 'fact' based off of in-character narrative. You are forgetting that what a character believes is true is not necessarily what the truth is.

For example, the idea that "the Light hates the Scourge". That is not a fact. That is something a character who follows the Light has claimed to be true. What is fact is that the Light greatly harms the Scourge, and that said character believes that the Light hates them.

Do not assume that everything an in-universe source states to be fact. Just because a character believes there is an afterlife, for example, does not mean that there actually is one.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Also, as a footnote to my previous post, I would like to add that the conflict the opposition of the two paradigms can generate can lead to a very intruiging rich roleplaying experience. I have fond memories of discussing matters Faith with Exaythe and Drustai in particular, where this matter was more than once played an implicit role in the background.

So yeah, think of my post as an alternative position your character can take regarding the Light in the World of Warcraft. Just as in real life, it is very possible to disagree on the nature of a Divine Will, and can often lead to interesting conflict.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Blood Knights can still be found in non-TBC zones. In Orgrimmar and the UC, none of those have (debateable if they should be considered updated or not) a very "holy" feel. Liadrin's words could be considered even less of important than "do blood knights exist yes/no?", since she in particular hasn't been seen in two expansions.

As for what the light is, that Twilight Cultists can use it doesn't help trying to figure it out.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Great read.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Drustai wrote:I haven't read all of it yet, but one thing to keep in mind...

You are establishing 'fact' based off of in-character narrative. You are forgetting that what a character believes is true is not necessarily what the truth is.

For example, the idea that "the Light hates the Scourge". That is not a fact. That is something a character who follows the Light has claimed to be true. What is fact is that the Light greatly harms the Scourge, and that said character believes that the Light hates them.

Do not assume that everything an in-universe source states to be fact. Just because a character believes there is an afterlife, for example, does not mean that there actually is one.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, every time I used NPC dialogue I also added the 'faction' to it. As such it is not seen as 'fact about the light' but 'fact about how X perceives the Light'

PS: added an Aldor Mass, and going to clarify the point about NPCs again
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:15 pm

@ Kristeas: About the Blood Knights, the fact remains. They no longer drain for the Naaru, and instead have a more 'harmonious' relationship....whatever that may be! It is still open to interpretation, but it is implied they no longer see themselves as Masters of the Light. In the end it is up to you as a BElf roleplayer to decide what exactly that relationship with the Light is. All that Lore states is that it is NOT one of mastery and subjugation.

@ Thelos: I am still looking for ways to disprove your interpretation. If I haven't found them, I will write a long post about how much I like and agree with it!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorayah Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Interesting read!
Sorayah
Sorayah

Character sheet
Name: Sorayah Moonseeker
Title: Priestess of the Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:45 pm

I really liked this guide, great work Meln. I think it truly did capture the important bits.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:09 pm

This is indeed a great read, and gave me a lot to think about. Thank you for that!

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. As Thelos let me know, my approach to the subject is rather psychological. Instead of looking into 'What is the Light?' I focused on 'What does the Light do and mean for characters?'. Perhaps I should try to write small bits on how different factions see the Light...
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Melnerag wrote:how different factions see the Light...
If that could also include Tauren and Night Elf light-related beliefs?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Melnerag wrote:Thanks for the reply. As Thelos let me know, my approach to the subject is rather psychological. Instead of looking into 'What is the Light?' I focused on 'What does the Light do and mean for characters?'. Perhaps I should try to write small bits on how different factions see the Light...

In all fairness though I feel this is the better approach when you're riding a guide, since the most important question we should be asking ourselves is What does the Light mean to my character, and how can I use it in my roleplay?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Delidah / Scuzy wrote:
Melnerag wrote:how different factions see the Light...
If that could also include Tauren and Night Elf light-related beliefs?

If I'm not wrong.. There's no belief in the light at all.
Pirest & paladin are placeholder game-mechanic ooc names for Blizzard's simpleness.
Night Elves gain their "holy" powers from Elune, whom is the Moon (?).

Change it to sun if talking of Tauren.

Atleast that's the impression I got from Blizz.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Yep, the Tauren do not worship the Holy Light, neither do the Night Elves. Night Elves get their power by divine means from Elune, who is a real deity. The Sunwalkers....no idea. I think in the end they are like druids, drawing power by divine means from various incarnations of nature.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Tauren Sunwalkers and Priests seem to understand the connection between the An'she-worship and the Holy Light. What little lore and dialogue there is on the subject seem to make that connection, and Tauren Priest trainers tell you "The Light protect you this day", which (after inspection) doesn't seem to be a "default" reply for Human, Dwarf or BElf priest trainers.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:34 pm

The Light =! Holy Light.

The sun is light too. A strong one.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next