Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter to the Disciples of Light

+2
siegmund
Drustai
6 posters

Go down

Letter to the Disciples of Light Empty Letter to the Disciples of Light

Post by Drustai Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:25 am

[written in a spidery handwriting]

Light bless,

This is Drustai. I have been made aware that, earlier today, your order took offense at my assistance in official investigations regarding cultist activity in the Stormwind area. Chiefly, the use of certain forms of magic during the interrogation of a prisoner.

I understand your reservations. However, please allow me to clarify matters, to set your hearts at ease.

Due to my experience on the subject of dark magic, I am working on behalf of the Dalaran mage-hunters, whom have been assisting the Stormwind Regiment against these cultists. As such, any magical or non-magical assistance I provide comes under the order of my superiors. If you have issue with any action I undertake during this investigation, then please speak with Mage-Hunter Kazbo Frostgear, my handler.

As you are aware, I was given leave to practice a mental charm allowing the perusal of a prisoner's memories and thoughts. This is, indeed, a spell that uses the element of shadow and thus falls under the realm of forbidden magicks. However, such is permitted in certain conditions. I will transcribe for you the exact laws pertaining to the use of dark magicks.

Necromancy
Summoning undead minions, attempting to reanimate corpses, or studying the rituals and methods of necromancy without the permission either of the Kirin Tor or the Stormwind Mage Tower.

Use of Forbidden Magic
The use of any magic drawn from demonic sources, pacts with demons or items related to them without the permission of either the Kirin Tor or the Stormwind Mage Tower. Additionally, the use of shadow magic within the city walls.

Summoning Demons
An act of summoning a demon within the Kingdom's limits, or bringing a demon into the Kingdom without permission of either the Kirin Tor or the Stormwind Mage Tower.

As you can see, these laws permit the use of both shadow magic and (to my great regret) fel magic, provided the user has permission of established magical authorities. As I am working on behalf of the Kirin Tor, it is with their permission, and under their orders, that I use this charm. If you wish, I can provide you with the official paperwork that grants me the authorization to do so.

I wish it to be made clear that I seek to aid Stormwind's citizenship, not to harm it. As your own knight, Sir Valten, can attest, my previous use of forbidden magicks within city walls have been to the effort of saving people from harm. Likewise, my record will show that I have never used forbidden magicks to cause intentional harm to an Alliance citizen. It is my desire to see those who would abuse such magic, cultists like the prisoner I was interrogating, to be delivered to justice. Indeed, this very prisoner was a servant of the Twilight's Hammer, and had willingly cursed both herself and another man. I have removed both curses from their souls, and we now seek to track down their allies before more harm is done.

I understand your trepidation against such magicks as the charm I used. I understand that you view them as an affront to the Light and, indeed, shadow does represent an aversion to the tenants of the Light. However, as shadow is a natural part of our universe, there do come times where it is necessary to be used, even as one might seek to otherwise avoid it. Indeed, in my own people's culture, we had a revered order of priests, the Auchenai, whose duties occasionally required the use of shadow magic for the purpose of tending to the dead and dying. I was a priestess of this order prior to its "fall", and it is with their teachings that I hold my beliefs to.

If you still do not agree with this use, then you will need to seek to have the law altered. I must confess that I would actually welcome it if you did, as while I personally believe shadow magic does occasionally have its place, fel magic and warlocks should never be seen as allies. The law currently permits both, and I would welcome greater restrictions on shadow use if it meant that fel magic would face equally harsh restrictions.

I hope this letter will help to alleviate your concerns, and I pray that there will be no further hostility between your order, the Stormwind Regiment, the Kirin Tor, and myself. Let us stand together against the forces of evil.

Light be with you,

~Archmage Drustai of Koramor
Senior Mystic of the New Argus Commune
Lecturer of Defense against Dark Magic at Dalaran City
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Letter to the Disciples of Light Empty Re: Letter to the Disciples of Light

Post by siegmund Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 am

((So the use of Shadow magic is fully legal outside the city walls?

*Puts up shadow training grounds just outside the city walls*

Though it has a lot to do with permission, since a prime example is the Argent Tournament and other sticky situations.

I Wonder are there any other dark magic users with occasional permission to use it.))
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:13 am

siegmund wrote:((So the use of Shadow magic is fully legal outside the city walls?

Though it has a lot to do with permission, since a prime example is the Argent Tournament and other sticky situations.

I Wonder are there any other dark magic users with occasional permission to use it.))

((Yup, it's quite riddiculus. A lot of laws have these kind of loopholes but there will be changes to that soon.))
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 am

In a dim room, illuminated by the dancing flames of many candles, Pierre puts his pen in an inkpot with a sigh. He staples his freshly written work to his right. The stacks of administration papers around him seem to grow as he seems to shrink at the sight of them.
There seems to be no end to this administration.
A messenger runs in with a stack of letters. Pierre points at an empty tray in front of him and sends the young man away with a curt nod and a muttered blessing. For a brief moment the song of birds and fresh leaves rustling in the wind echo into the room as a door is opened in far-away (from the administration) corridor is opened.
More work? All right.
With a wave of his fingers, Pierre randomly takes a letter from the staple. Pierre frowns mildly and holds the letter closer, to read the spidery handwriting more easily.

As Pierre's eyes track the writing down to the bottom of the letter, he blinks and stands up.
Formality.. but it must be done.
He picks up a pristinely looking book with blue-died leather, ornated with a brass bracer and a golden lionhead in the middle. He places the heavy book on the table and opens it at a marked page, pushing the elegant, violet ribbon to the side.
This passage has seen too much use lately.
Word by word, Pierre checks the quoted law and nods approvingly at the correctness of the quoted words.

Well.. This is the first I hear of this incident. Such is both a weakness and a strength. Hmm...
Pierre paces the room for a bit in thought before crouching behind the desk again, pen in hand.

To the Archmage Drustai of Koramor,

I'm Sir Jean-Pierre d'Armagnac, Chaplain of Faith and Morale of the Disciples of Light. I wish to thank you for writing such a letter with the intention of lifting our concerns. Your letter is the first report I read of this incident. As such, I know little of the incident, too little to bear a clear judgement. This is a weakness, but also offers an opportunity.

I wish to use this fortune that has brought your letter to me first. It grants me a chance to hear or read the full account, your account, of this incident ere I check your views with those of my Brothers and Sisters. Considering the circumstances, such is the least biased position I may offer when hearing your account.

I believe it would be to our mutual benefit to approach this matter with as much diplomacy as one could muster. The need for this may be made clear by revealing how your letter could be interpreted. It is not my intention to imply a threat, but to indicate the necessity of diplomacy and how delicate words will have to be weighed.

The tone of your letter suggests 'beneficial use' of such magic. You seem to justify the practice on the basis of your intentions, your view on the nature of the world and your magic's necessity. Yet these conflict so fundamentally with our own that this distance could not be crossed in a single letter. And regardless of my reservations on these matters, I would recommend to focus on the word of the law. Neither intention, the nature of the world or your magic are included in the texts of the law and, as such, can not be taken into account.

You refer to previous actions as example of the purity of your intentions. One's antecedents are not included in the texts of the King either. Nor would it be to your advantage, for you have been tried and convicted for the antecedants you mentioned. How can we then use such to increase our trust in your word?

You suggest we must either agree with your practice, or doubt the law of our King. How can we agree to such practice? How can we doubt the word of our King? You present us with a choice of which neither option is acceptable, a most dangerous method to use when one might not trust the speaker.

Yet I feel such interpretation of your words would do them injustice. I also read a desire to increase the public understanding of the law, rather than doubt on the word of our King. Such intention could only be applauded and encouraged. Perhaps, in the future, we may work together on such effort.

For now, I would focus on the matter at hand. You claim to have practiced authorized use of such magic, which could be proven if required. I believe such formality may be required for it would be devoid from doubt and fickle interpretations. To this purpose, could you deliver us the following documents?
- Proof that Mage-Hunter Kazbo Frostgear is indeed of the Kirin Tor, and that you are in service of him.
- Proof indicating that Kazbo Frostgear is indeed authorized by the Kirin Tor to decide on the use of such forbidden magics within the lands of our King and that he is authorized to pass such decision making to his subordinates. I doubt all servants of the Kirin Tor would, by default, inherit the privileges of the Kirin Tor.
- A written statement that Kazbo Frostgear supports your decision in this matter.
- Your account of the incident, detailing on how and what magic was used.

I shall request a written report from my fellow Disciples. I hope that, with these documents, you will permit me to seek counsel of a Magistrate to ensure that no law was breached or misunderstood. Perhaps we could seek such counsel together?

Lastly, I wish to appologize to you, Archmage Drustai. I preached diplomacy but have requested only more effort from you to justify your actions. I do not wish to sound unappreciative of your efforts to settle our concerns, nor have we forgotten your service to the Alliance in the campaigns on Kalimdor. But one can not let appreciation influence one's judgement in matters of the law and safety of the people. Such appreciation may encourage one, however, to seek clarity and answers where they could improve our relations.

May the Light grace your path.
Sir Jean-Pierre d'Armagnac,
Chaplain of Faith and Morale of the Disciples of Light

((OOCly: Loved the letter. Loved to mix good and bad interpretations. And yes.. our laws are flawed, but until altered I must abide them like they are the most awesome thing in the world, second only to the Light itself!))
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 am

((Your letter really nailed it, Jean! Chapter had a big dilemma too. On one side they view Varian as a messenianic figure, chosen by the Light to become the sole king of all human nations and guide humanity to a bright and glorious future...on the other hand that Chosen King tolerates undead (DKs) and warlocks, both of which are KoS by Anethionean faith. So it has been a tortuous and painful process of theological hairsplitting and masterful looking-the-other-way to reconcile the two. But loved both letters!))
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 am

Braiden wrote:
siegmund wrote:((So the use of Shadow magic is fully legal outside the city walls?

((Yup, it's quite riddiculus. A lot of laws have these kind of loopholes but there will be changes to that soon.))

((And everyone uses them *Gives a suspicious look at Braiden* , of course people say Rules are meant to be broken and loopholes are meant to be exploited ))
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 pm

((Flawed laws might be a good thing for both criminals and law-enforcement. Perfect laws would leave very little to interpretation, and could be a hindrance to good roleplay))

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:50 pm

((The Lexadin would grunt and make a holy oath to finally deal with the Drustai question.... But he didn see the letter))
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down