Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Da Healthy fewd

+17
Amaryl
Vaell
Morinth
Rmuffn
Muzjhath
Chase - Esou
Lyniath
Kristeas Sunbinder
Feydor
Lorainne/Bridlington
Gesh
Shaelyssa
Sullee Swiftspeech
corleth
Raelan
Ixirar
Nithel
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Da Healthy fewd  - Page 3 Empty Re: Da Healthy fewd

Post by Nithel Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Raelan wrote:Seriously Nithel, there's no reason to go to such extremes. No fun in healthy food if you're cutting out on everything you like.

(Unless you're grossly overweight and need to cut down quickly, but then I would advise doing ketosis for quick loss)
I'm not really giving up things I enjoy. It's more that I'm trying to break habits. For example, the habbit to eat a lot of meat. I don't enjoy eating meat though. I like it as salami on my bread. But I really don't enjoy a steak/pork/etc. I much prefer chicken/fish.

For whatever it is worth, my BMI is 21,6. (Even though I hate BMI, such a shitty measurement system.) So I'm not really close to being overweight. And I do work out a lot, so I'm guessing there's a bit of my weight muscles. It's merely that I want to be a bit more conscious about what I eat. I kind of used the wrong wordings in my first post but this isn't really about me wanting to lose weight. I know how to lose weight. It's about me wanting to live a healthier daily life. I'm still going to eat my yearly foie gras at new year. I'm still going to eat a sausage if there's a BBQ. But I'd like my average day in the year to be healthier.

If you're on a diet, get off it now. It's better to change how you eat for life then to diet for 2 weeks, lose weight, only to gain it all back once you finish your diet.
I'm not on a diet.

I know I used the wrong words in my first post but I don't really care much about the losing weight part. That's a minor issue, one easier to work out of my system. (Heck I don't even know why I gained weight. For all I know it could be I'm gaining muscles because I have been stepping up my fitness training) It's really more that I want to live healthier. I want to know what I eat.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Nithel wrote:It's about me wanting to live a healthier daily life. I'm still going to eat my yearly foie gras at new year. I'm still going to eat a sausage if there's a BBQ. But I'd like my average day in the year to be healthier.

Health is more than the mere absense of disease/obesity etc. To truly be healthy, you need to ask yourself what health means to you. That should be the goal you work towards. To me personally, a long walk in the forest is the healthiest thing in the world. To one of my mates, running around with a 30kg backpack is it. It's all very individual.

And by all means, cutting down on meat and such can be healthy, but... Don't reduce your quality of life drasticly to improve your health, the two are too closely related.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Wed May 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Oh and guys, I can't stress this enough. Remember diets don't work if you do them all at once, stick to one at a time!
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu May 31, 2012 6:42 am

Nithel wrote:
I know I used the wrong words in my first post but I don't really care much about the losing weight part. That's a minor issue, one easier to work out of my system. (Heck I don't even know why I gained weight. For all I know it could be I'm gaining muscles because I have been stepping up my fitness training) It's really more that I want to live healthier. I want to know what I eat.

Go see a dietician instead of taking advice on the internet Very Happy and even then there's so much contradictory stuff and outright bullshit out there, good luck finding your balance.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Thu May 31, 2012 7:24 am

Amaryl wrote:

Go see a dietician instead of taking advice on the internet Very Happy and even then there's so much contradictory stuff and outright bullshit out there, good luck finding your balance.
Eventually I assume I will just do this. But for now, I merely want some little tips to get going. I want to give it a little whirl before I see a dietician about it.

To truly be healthy, you need to ask yourself what health means to you. That should be the goal you work towards
Which is what I've done and I've concluded that I'd be healthier/happier if I took what I eat into my own hands instead of merely going with the flow and eating whatever/whenever.

I agree that it's very individual. But I need a base to work on. I knew some people on this forum are concerned about their food intake and I wanted to know how they dealt with it.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Thu May 31, 2012 11:21 am

Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet
Name: Kettin Bilewood
Title: High Executor - Forsaken Military

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:Wtf is ghee

ur ghee HAHA

Shaelyssa wrote:Pert have you tried drinking protein shakes? helped my sister

No actually, they good?

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

as supplements theyre alright at getting that extra 30g of protein but really best advise can be to sort out diet first, thats the most nutritious and important but all this food talk is giving me the munchies, ADIOS
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Thu May 31, 2012 11:14 pm

People saying to Nithel 'you're cutting out on everything you like" and "don't reduce your quality of life to drastically to improve your health" because she's cutting down on meat, despite the fact she's never said that it was at all diminishing her quality of life, seem to be projecting the negative impact cutting down on meat would have on themselves onto Nithel, kinda defeating the whole 'its all individual!' line of thought.

As for the goji berries, I swear by them and don't think their unnecessary at all. They offer far more than any other fruit.
Spoiler:

They're also refereed to as wolf berries and I'm sure theres some way to find them in Belgium (if not in your average supermarket then definitely heath stores, such as whole foods, Holland and Barrets, revital health or whatever health stores they have in Belgium).

As for red wine, I don't think it has any weight implications, though of course it has health implications if drunk excessively. It's generally held to be true that one glass a day is quite good for you, especially for the heart.

On the topic of alcohol however, stay away from beer/cider/lager if you intend on cutting down on your calorie in-take, a pint of it contains an amount of calories that are not justified by any nutritional value. Your metabolism will prioritise burning away the calories as opposed to burning away the fat, which isn't really what you want.
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:08 am

Corleth you are asking a Belgian to cut down on beer...

Lol.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Remember reading Corleth saying that hummus is quite funny
just recently discovered that chick peas are actually virtually fat free apparently so ... :p

Might be the tahina in the hummus that makes it fatty but you can exchange it with something else although personally I've never made hummus without tahina ... but now I'm looking forward to trying lol
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

i said hummus is quite funny? whaaa

but yeah, its the tahina in hummus that contains the fat. even then, its hardly ever that much fat, and its not trans-fat so s'all good really

in terms of fulfilling a balanced diet, its probably one of the best condiments; especially when compared to mayo and stuff, i'd just not recommend getting a whole tub of it with several pieces of pita bread and gorging on it all afternoon like how i used to :3
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 pm

dont know why i havent mentioned this yet, but celery is also really good to just snack on or include in your meals. theres lots of myths about 'negative-calorie' foods but celery is the real deal, you actually spend more calories eating/digesting the celery than you gain from eating a stick of it Smile
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

You gotta be one major hipster to make chewing your workout.

ISHYGDDT
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 pm

cycling is probs my main workout

i cycle everywhere

celery just states good + is calorie-negative

Cool
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

May have gotten this out the wrong way in my last post, but I do not mean that meat = happiness. Just that you should only change your diet as much as you can feel comfortable with, even if that means going a slower route by one change at a time, or learning to cook awesome meals with your chosen ingredients (say beans, plain by themself, awesome in almost anything else) before "swapping" to using them.

Off-topic:
Corleth, that avatar makes you impossible to take seriously. Thought you should know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Corleth wrote:cycling is probs my main workout

i cycle everywhere

celery just states good + is calorie-negative

8)

Celery is so incredibly expensive here
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by itsy Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Not sure if this is really related but just throwing it out there, if anyone has horrible stomach/digestion problems like me (I used to get really bad cramps and that sort of thing) then try peppermint oil. It's done wonders for me Smile
itsy
itsy

Character sheet
Name: @_@
Title: @_@

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Peppermint oil/Peppermint tea are wonderful for digestion it's true. There's a very good reason after dinner mints are peppermint!

Clove oil is great (if you can stomach the burn/taste which I kinda like) for gum/teeth issues too.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Cheeseburgers.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down