Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Da Healthy fewd

+17
Amaryl
Vaell
Morinth
Rmuffn
Muzjhath
Chase - Esou
Lyniath
Kristeas Sunbinder
Feydor
Lorainne/Bridlington
Gesh
Shaelyssa
Sullee Swiftspeech
corleth
Raelan
Ixirar
Nithel
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Da Healthy fewd  Empty Da Healthy fewd

Post by Nithel Tue May 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Heya!

I've recently decided slash started eating more healthy and balanced fewdz. Part of the reason is that I'm growing out of my youth metabolism and for the first year in my life, I've found that I've gained weight that I can't lose Razz ( Do mind, I ate without ever thinking of cholestrol/weight/health during my entire life) Now I know healthy food ≠ diet food. But I'm trying to find a good mix between the two. (Which shouldn't be hard I think?)

I've tried doing the usual stuff: eating more fruit, eating more vegetables, less meat etc.. But it's so hard to find information about food and whether it is good. I've asked in my friends group but most of them are those skinny bastards who can eat whatever they want constantly and still manage to lose weight so I was none the wiser.

Do you guys know any fancy sites/books that help? Any personal tips and do's/dont's would help too Smile I find myself lost between all the different theories and opinions..

Thanks!

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Da Healthy fewd  Empty Re: Da Healthy fewd

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 5:25 pm

just go subway that's how i stay healthy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Tue May 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Perturbo wrote:just go subway that's how i stay healthy
subway doesnt really exist in belgium thank the gods

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Tue May 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Subway #1 yo
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Tue May 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Cal in, Cal out, nub.
Cut off cola and other sweet drinks and it'll be a ton easier already.

Tho, I still dont have to count shit thanks to awesomesauce metabolism so ha-ha.

(Also, too much fruit aint good either, shit got sugar yo)
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm

I can only really speak from a vegetarian/vegan perspective, but I really, really recommend the site Chef In You; I haven't visited it in some time, so I don't actually know how regularly its updated... but it has tons of great recipes which can be made quickly and are very healthy.

Becoming vegetarian made me much more concious of what I was eating, but I assume you'll still wish to eat meat, in which case I'll say that regardless, you should still stay clear of red meat except on special occasions. Chicken should makeup most of your protein in-take when you want meat, but to get your required amount of protein with even less fat/cholesterol etc then turn to pulses! Lentils, beans, chickpeas are all great! Just look at this.
Spoiler:

Stay away from foods which are pretty much just carbs such as white rice and pasta. Carbs will make you retain water and increase weight. Instead, turn to brown rice, which is infinitely more nutritious than its refined equivalent.

Try swapping out cows milk for almond (which I heartily recommend!) or soya milk. They cost a bit more, but contain all the calcium and nutrients without the cholesterol and/or fat.

Eat plenty of fruits, especially Goji berries: they're known as super food and rightly so, they contain tons of vitamins which help your heart, which are anti-aging, they contain lots of antioxidants and will help keep your immune system strong. If you're finding it hard to adapt to eating... 'pure' fruit as snack, search out something like yoghurt covered raisins or nuts and switch to the even healthier equivalent gradually.

If ever you eat leafy vegetables or any other food rich in iron, do so with a glass of orange juice, the vitamin C will help your blood-stream absorb 30% more iron.

You should avoid butter, but its easily replaced with margerine and even better in my opinion, avocado! Just scoop out the insides of an avacado and spread it over some linseed bread, its lovely and will give you TONS of protein and vitamins that help fight against all kinds of diseases; plus it has a nice buttery texture.

Also, as a snack... I recommend humous and pita bread but this brings me to the next point, do not think that because humous is healthy it doesn't contain fat, it most definitely does (though, not trans-fats, so they are healthier) so do not eat too much!

Okay, those are just some very general comments/tips written very quickly (cooking some food myself atm) but if you have any questions I'll try and answer them!

Last edited by Corleth on Tue May 29, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 6:09 pm

also, stay the fuck away from foi gras you evil witch! Wink
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sullee Swiftspeech Tue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Eat whatever you want.. Just exercise 4+ times a week and don't buy stuff you don't want yourself to eat.
It works for me, but then again I don't gain weight that easily. And, seeing I live in a dorm, we don't have any snacks I can nab. Being low on money has it's perks..
Sullee Swiftspeech
Sullee Swiftspeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Tue May 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Corleth wrote:Becoming vegetarian made me much more concious of what I was eating, but I assume you'll still wish to eat meat, in which case I'll say that regardless, you should still stay clear of red meat except on special occasions. Chicken should makeup most of your protein in-take when you want meat, but to get your required amount of protein with even less fat/cholesterol etc then turn to pulses! Lentils, beans, chickpeas are all great! Just look at this.

Fish is also very very VERY good for you.

You should avoid butter, but its easily replaced with margerine and even better in my opinion, avocado! Just scoop out the insides of an avacado and spread it over some linseed bread, its lovely and will give you TONS of protein and vitamins that help fight against all kinds of diseases; plus it has a nice buttery texture.

Also, as a snack... I recommend humous and pita bread but this brings me to the next point, do think that because humous is healthy it doesn't contain fat, it most definitely does (though, not trans-fats, so they are healthier) so do not eat too much!

also, stay the fuck away from foi gras you evil witch! ;)

Can't stress these 4 points enough.

Also, for breakfast oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal. Don't get the cheap rolled quacker shit, buy proper unrolled oats and cook them yourself. Takes a long time to make, but I usually make a week's batch at a time and just keep it in the fridge. Some fresh fruit like a banana or even an avocado milkshake (the most delicious thing in the world!!!) go nicely with the oatmeal too. I prefer to not add any honey or syrup to my oatmeal, sometimes I like to make it with almond milk but personally prefer having it plain.

For snacks, dried fruit and nuts. For desert, I like having yoghurt with some fresh fruit and nuts on top. If you want to make it a little sweeter, mix in a tiny teaspoon or two of strawberry jam. Possibly one of my favourite things in the world after oatmeal.

From what you've told me, you're very active and work out a lot. I'm not like fitness guru or whatever, but green tea is great and it also personally gives me a huge energy boost if I drink it 2-3 hours before a run. Don't drink too much green tea though because caffeine hinders the absorption of iron. Oh and I forgot to mention, green tea is loaded with anti-oxidants which is super healthy.

Will post more later if I think of anything else :) hope it was hopeful, probably not ... what works for you and what doesn't is something you'll have to discover yourself tbh through experimenting with different foods.

Last edited by Shaelyssa on Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Nithel wrote:most of them are those skinny bastards who can eat whatever they want constantly and still manage to lose weight

effing assholes Evil or Very Mad My sister is one of those types
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Tue May 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Try swapping out cows milk for almond (which I heartily recommend!) or soya milk. They cost a bit more, but contain all the calcium and nutrients without the cholesterol and/or fat.

It can be a huge shock for some people though changing from cow's milk to almond/soya milk. I suggest Alpro though for your soya milk, it doesn't taste as bad as other brands and they also have some like vanilla/chocolate varieties (hate them personally but it might help you ease into the non-dairy alternatives).
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Tue May 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:
Nithel wrote:most of them are those skinny bastards who can eat whatever they want constantly and still manage to lose weight

effing assholes Evil or Very Mad My sister is one of those types

Da Healthy fewd  Tumblr_m47k2jLn571qiq7ufo4_250
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 pm

I just starve myself without trying. I'm not skinny, but I'm not stocky either.

I live on hot air, biscuits, alcohol and fingernails. That's the best diet, son.
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:Also, for breakfast oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal. Don't get the cheap rolled quacker shit, buy proper unrolled oats and cook them yourself. Takes a long time to make, but I usually make a week's batch at a time and just keep it in the fridge. Some fresh fruit like a banana or even an avocado milkshake (the most delicious thing in the world!!!) go nicely with the oatmeal too. I prefer to not add any honey or syrup to my oatmeal, sometimes I like to make it with almond milk but personally prefer having it plain.
Alternatively, if you're not a fan of oatmeal, just have a bowl of muesli (it comes in tons of varieties) or bran-flakes with some milk (diary or not, you're choice really... just don't go for full-fat!)
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 7:14 pm

also, its not oatmeal, its porridge!
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Tue May 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Wow! Thanks for the tips. Especially Corleth and Shael's answer, thank you! It's really helpful.

Becoming vegetarian made me much more concious of what I was eating, but I assume you'll still wish to eat meat
I do still want to eat meat. But perhaps not on a daily basis. I truly want to limit my meat intake though. And re-direct it, as you said towards fish and chicken. If at the same time I become more conscious of my food intake, that'd be grandioso!

Lentils, beans, chickpeas are all great
I'll have to find some good recipes to go with those because those are on my toplist of things I usually don't enjoy eating haha

Stay away from foods which are pretty much just carbs such as white rice and pasta.
You mentioned brown rice as a replacement. Is whole-wheat pasta a good replacement for usual pasta or still something I should avoid?

also, stay the fuck away from foi gras you evil witch!
Sometimes I think you envision me as some bourgeoisie who eats foie gras on toast as my breakfast Very Happy

For snacks, dried fruit and nuts.
I should really work on this. Haven't in my life ever done anything with nuts or oatmeal or muesli. I'm guessing for my yoghurt I should try to get something rather pure and try to add taste with the nuts and fruit?

I'm still thinking of some questions, I'll post them when I grouped them up a bit.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Nithel wrote:I'll have to find some good recipes to go with those because those are on my toplist of things I usually don't enjoy eating haha
Never, ever eat them alone/plain! There's a plethora of (mainly indian/pakistani/bengali) recipes that make use of lentils and chickepeas, the most famous being daal for the former and 'Chana and Aloo' (chickpeas and potatoes basically) for the latter. Both are curries. Beans of any variety can be put into a nice salad, kidney beans of course can go into chili con-carne and related recipes, any vegetarian recipe website will have tons of nice ways to make use of beans.
You mentioned brown rice as a replacement. Is whole-wheat pasta a good replacement for usual pasta or still something I should avoid?
Should have mentioned this, but yes, whole-wheat pasta is great as a healthy replacement.
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Tue May 29, 2012 7:50 pm

[quote]I'm guessing for my yoghurt I should try to get something rather pure and try to add taste with the nuts and fruit? [/qoute]

Yes, it's much healthier and better that way. Yoghurt is very healthy but only when there aren't any additives or anything like that, which is why I prefer plain yoghurt and add fruits and stuff for taste. It's a much nicer healthier to icecream

And daal is glorious :D My bestfriends mom makes the best indian food in the world, I keep trying to steal her recipes whenever I go over
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 pm

though, if you intend to cook daal... or any asian curry recipe, if it suggest ghee then use vegetable oil or butter instead! even our regular butter is more healthy than ghee, which is indian clarified butter - ghee greatly increases the taste, and is what makes a lot of indian recipes, but it is quite bad for the heart.
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Tue May 29, 2012 7:59 pm

My nigga:
http://whfoods.org/
use the navigation bar at the top, food lists + recipes, some good knowledge in there , excuse the cheesy ass white toothed salesman at the front
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Wtf is ghee
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Tue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Corleth wrote:Should have mentioned this, but yes, whole-wheat pasta is great as a healthy replacement.
Rule of thumb has always been that the longer you need to boil it, the better it is.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth Tue May 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:Wtf is ghee
clarified butter used in south asian cooking and some religious practices (dont even ask me what kind! :p)
corleth
corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Tue May 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Also a tip for cookign paste

It's better to under cook it slightly, I forgot why but it's healthier like that ... something about the starch remaining in a harder to digest form or something

Oh and also NEVER EVER EVER cook with olive oil. I forgot where I read it but it turns into a very unhealthy form when it's heated. Use olive oil as a dressing only or drizzle it over some cooked pasta

And another point, eat dried fruit and nuts in moderation. Not only are they very expensive but also can be unhealthy if you eat too much (avoid peanuts and cashews, stick to almonds, pecans and mainly walnuts)
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Tue May 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Nithel wrote:
most of them are those skinny bastards who can eat whatever they want constantly and still manage to lose weight so I was none the wiser.

Like me!
Although my walk to school, while not particularly long, was very hilly. And walking that twice a day is about an hour of hill walking 5 times a week. I guess I'll see what happens at uni :3
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: