Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] How to Roleplay a Warlock

Go down

[Guide] How to Roleplay a Warlock Empty [Guide] How to Roleplay a Warlock

Post by Velynia Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:30 pm

A few months back, I wrote a lengthy guide on how to Roleplay a Warlock realistically in WoW, imaginatively named 'How to Roleplay a Warlock' I ended up only posting it on the Official WoW Roleplaying Forums, but after noting several other Guides here, I thought I might as well just copy/paste it here, also. Well, here 'tis:

Foreword:
Hey! I’ve been Roleplaying a Warlock for a year or so now, and recently scanned the Sticky ‘Informative & useful threads for Roleplayers’, and to my surprise, didn’t find one written up for us Fel-Addicts! I’ve never written a Guide before, but consider myself to know quite a bit about the Lore surrounding Warlocks, Fel, et cetera, and began constructing what eventually evolved into a Guide, one that should hopefully help newcomers to Roleplaying Warlocks! It would also be appreciated if folks could not post until I’ve posted the entire guide, as it would be a tad confusing to have the sections broken up, et cetera. Thanks!
Here goes.

Table of Contents:

1) Warlock Lore.
2) Fel and its effects.
3) Warlocks in Society.
4) Races.
5) Talent Trees.
6) Demons.
7) Other useful Links.

Warlock Lore:

History time! Warlocks first appeared on Azeroth shortly after the opening of the Dark Portal, during the First War, when Gul’dan, the First Orcish Warlock led the Horde to Azeroth at the behest of Kil’jaeden, when they were still thralls (No pun intended) of the Legion.
Gul’dan had been one of Ner’zhul’s apprentices, supporting his mentor’s war against the Draenei fully. Ner’zhul, however, soon discovered that the voice contacting him was not a great Ancestor as it had claimed, but instead Kil’Jaeden, the deceiver, wishing to find a force to bend to his will and annihilate the Draenei, led by his former best friend, Velen.
Horrified, he attempted to back out. However, his power-hungry apprentice, Gul’dan, told Kil’jaeden of Ner’zhul’s second thoughts, and in thanks, the Deceiver offered Gul’dan the power of becoming a Warlock master, on the condition that he bring the Orcs under his banner and purge Draenor of all Draenei.
Gul’dan accepted greedily, and began forming the clans hastily into what would one day become known as the Horde. Gul’dan trained a number of like-minded Orcs to become Warlocks, whom he named the Shadow Council. The Council influenced every orifice of Orc Society, so as to keep those whom opposed his twisted ideals docile. He even founded his own clan, the Stormreavers, all loyal to him. To complete what was now becoming known as the Horde’s indoctrination as servants of the Legion, Kil’jaeden offered the clan chieftains the Blood of Mannoroth, Fel-Tainted Blood from the Pit Lord of the same name. They drank in it deeply, become Fel-Tainted, corrupted, bloodthirsty slaves of the Demons they now nearly worshipped. A pure force of evil and destruction now, they near-annihilated the Draenei from the face of the planet in a genocide ordered by Kil’jaeden.
Gul’dan was soon after manipulated by Sargeras, lord of the Burning Legion, into opening the Dark Portal between Azeroth and Draenor, enticing Gul’dan to conquer Azeroth, and find what was known as ‘The Tomb of Sargeras’, where he promised Gul’dan would achieve godhood. Sargeras’ ulterior motive was, of course, to regain possession over his body, and be freed.
The Horde spilled across Azeroth, killing and burning, all the time manipulated by Gul’dan and his promising two-headed Ogre student, Cho’gall. They manipulated the election of Blackhand as Warchief of the Horde, as he was easily to manipulate, and the perfect pawn for the ever-dangerous Shadow Council. I could go on, but it would be more like Gul’dan Lore, rather than Warlock Lore.
Long story short, the Horde was defeated and thrown into internment camps. Several power-hungry Human Magi, intrigued by the new, dark forms of Magic used by their would-be invaders, began to utilise it, eventually becoming Warlocks, teaching other allied races of their dark magic. Naturally, they were distrusted, as with all Warlocks, and were and still do have to practise in secret.

Fel and its Effects:

First off, I’ll explain what Fel Energy exactly is. It’s the Arcane’s evil brother, the very manifestation of the Demonic Arcane on Azeroth. It is highly addictive once a Caster begins to utilise Fel Magic, and many have described the experience of casting a spell with Fel Energy involved as a ‘Euphoric’ experience.
It manifests itself as a greenish-yellow flame, and is highly corruptive in any form, twisting living beings and landscapes alike. Things such as Fel Orcs and the husk that is now Felwood are prime examples of Fel Corruption. The same can occur to anyone whom wields Fel Magic as a weapon, eventually amounting to Fel-Corruption, a dire threat to many Warlocks. One only has to look at the Felblood Elves in the Sunwell to see the extent of Fel Corruption. Many Warlocks, however, over time have figured out ways to reduce the taint of the Corruption.
Fel also resides in the blood of Demons, and as such, when a weapon is forged in Demon’s Blood, it becomes what is known as a ‘Fel Weapon’, which glows with Greenish Felfire, and slowly corrupts the wielder’s body and soul. Demon’s Blood is, for this reason, a prime commodity among Warlocks, and many hold gruesome, twisted sacrifices to entice Demons into giving them some of their blood. Fel Corruption has tainted many races over time, for example: The Orcs turning from their natural skin colour of brown, to green, due to consuming the blood of Mannoroth, and later on, the creation of Fel Orcs from Magtheridon’s blood. Elves are another good example, going from the noble and pure High Elves, to Magic-Addicted Blood Elves, some even being so consumed by their addiction they descend to become Wretched.
In summary, Fel is an addictive and destructive method of magic, but it is hugely dangerous and powerful in the right hands, and as such will always be a steeple of the Warlock Class.

Warlocks in Society:

Warlocks, generally, are not accepted in Society. If you were seen strolling through Stormwind with your Succubus in tow, clad in armour with an excess of spikes and chains, wielding a sword emblazoned with Eredun Runes, you –would- be arrested, or perhaps even killed on the spot!
It does differ in societies, as I go further into detail in the ‘Race’ sections below. Warlocks will always be mistrusted, but over time their usefulness is being noted by Authorities, both Horde and Alliance. Orcs and Human Warlocks are by far the most disgusted in their societies, Orcs blaming the Fel-Users among them for their previous enslavement to the Legion, and the Blood Curse. Humans are deeply rooted in the faith of the Light, and Warlocks go against all of their holy teachings.
In Gnomish and Dwarven Societies, the situation is not much better. Demonic Magic was once banned from Ironforge, though I doubt this is still the case. In Troll Society, there is little to explain how they would be accepted, though due to Troll’s frequent dabbling in the dark arts of Voodoo and the like, they wouldn’t be too hated.
Blood Elves and Forsaken are, rather unsurprisingly, the most accepting of Warlocks and their Fel Energies. With the Blood Elves Magic addiction, it is not hard to see that they would be easily accepted. Forsaken merely see Fel Energy as another form of power to be embraced and used as they please.

Races:

Here I’ll be covering how Warlocks are accepted in various races and societies, as well as how the Warlocks of said races came to be. Feel free to correct me on any of these things, as many of these races aren’t my strong suit when it comes to lore!

Humans:
(No Human RP guide currently available.)

In Human Society, I’d say Warlocks are shunned –quite- a bit, sort of similar to how they are treated in Orcish Society. One must also remember that a lot of Humans are deeply embedded in faith, more specifically – The Light. Warlocks are the antithesis of the Light. They are selfish, hating, destructive, and as such – unlikely to be accepted easily. However, King Wrynn has noted their usefulness, and the Alliance army does do quite a few ‘Under the Counter’ deals with Warlock Covens, as they are undoubtedly powerful units against the Horde, and any other enemies that may face them.
Human Magi have been around since way back in the Troll Wars, when they were taught the Arcane by the High Elves in exchange for their help. Due to Human’s natural nature, over time, some found themselves not content with Arcane, and began to dabble in darker paths, leading to Fel. Modern Day Warlocks are still hugely shunned, for reasons I mentioned above, however they do have the Catacombs under the Slaughtered Lamb to congregate in, and perform their vile practises.

Gnomes:
(Gnome RP Guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/916830707)

Gnome Warlocks are largely outcasts from Gnomish Society, due to Demonic Magic being outlawed in Ironforge, preventing them from entering the one place they could call a Home. Naturally, Gnomes, despite their size, still hold the dark curiosity to begin researching Fel, likely helped along by Human Warlocks. A large number of Gnomish Warlocks would likely practise alongside Humans in Stormwind, due to their inability to venture to Ironforge, for reasons I explained earlier.

Dwarves:

(Dwarf RP Guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900640223)

Up until Cataclysm, most, if not all Dwarven Warlocks were of the Dark Iron Clan, though it is possible a few dissenting Bronzebeard Mages may have dabbled with Fel. Previously, before the Dark Iron indoctrination into the Three Hammers, and furthermore, the Alliance, Warlocks were forbidden from entering Ironforge, though it has not been stated whether this Law has been reconsidered yet, though I would say that due to the large number of Dark Iron flocking to Ironforge, seeking a new home after Shadowforge was claimed by the Twilight’s Hammer, quite a few of these would be Warlocks, a common profession among the Dark Irons, and it would likely have been abolished. I would safely say that most of the Dwarven Warlocks would be Dark Irons, but I’m sure quite a few young, curious Bronzebeard Mages would be intrigued by the ways of these newcomers.
As for the Gryphon-Riding Wildhammers – They seem more of the melee, warrior type to me, their ways already being seen as ‘Tribal’ by the Bronzebeards and Dark Irons, however not everyone is bound to a strict stereotype! There may be a few Wildhammer Mages, albeit rare ones and surely a few of those may have dissented, intrigued by Fel and its many enigmas, though that number would most certainly be small. They are largely Shamanistic, do keep this in mind, and care quite a bit about preserving Nature, so a Wildhammer Warlock would likely be shunned by his or her kin, due to Warlocks being largely centralised around taint, destruction, et cetera.

Worgen:
(Worgen RP guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/825052734)

Worgen, are, at heart, merely dapper Gilneans, even though their bodies may be ferocious feral beasts. There is little I can say here, sadly, and would merely refer you to the ‘Human’ section. It is safe to assume, however, that young Magi would have become bored with life behind their wall, and began toying with darker Magics.

Orcs:
(Orc RP Guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3313132789)

Arguably the most shunned and disgusted Warlocks in any Society, an Orc would most likely try the most out of all races to cover up their dark secrets. In Orc society, Warlocks are utterly despised and mistrusted. If you were to openly proclaim your mingling with the monsters that once enslaved your entire people, you’d most likely spend the rest of your life glancing over your shoulder warily, and being denied entry to any reputable establishment.
Many Orcish Warlocks may be from such clans as Stormreaver, the Burning Blade, Twilight’s Hammer or the Bleeding Hollow – The first of which was in fact a clan created by Gul’dan himself, and were completely loyal to him as such.
The Burning Blade were a brutal and chaotic force during the First War, many of them going so far into the bloodlust that they would even slay their fellow Orcs – and as such, only to be used as a last resort. In modern-day Azeroth, the broken remnants of the Burning Blade Clan have become a sect of the Shadow Council, and have plagued Durotar for many years, even having a holding in the centre of the city, Ragefire Chasm, and even an informant right under Garrosh’s nose (Neeru Fireblade).
The Twilight’s Hammer were not –always- the crazed, Old-God worshipping cult we know them largely as today, but were once in fact a Clan headed by Cho’gall, one of Gul’dan’s apprentices. Few Orcs from the original clan remain however, as the Twilight’s Hammer today retains little of the former glory it used to hold as a clan, instead of a Cult.
The Bleeding Hollow Clan had strong ties to the Stormreavers, and their leader, Kilrogg Deadeye, was one of the first to accept Gul’dan’s offer of drinking the Blood of Mannoroth. During the first War, they sacked Stormwind Keep with the Twilight’s Hammer Clan, though it is unknown whether they had such a close affiliation with the Twilight’s Hammer as they did with the Stormreavers.

Forsaken:

(Forsaken RP guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2499250193)

Ah, good ol’ Forsaken Warlocks. What could be more devilishly evil. I would say that in Forsaken Society, Warlocks are more accepted than anywhere else, on par with Blood Elves level of acceptance! The Forsaken freely use Warlocks in their battles, and many around Undercity even –admire- Warlocks and their work. Some may have been Mages in life, with that little niggling thought at the back of their minds, and now, in their Undeath, are free to pursue darker ambitions. Some may have already been Warlocks in life, and carried their trade to the grave and beyond.

Trolls:
(No Troll RP guide currently available.)

Troll Warlocks! My favourite race, combined with my favourite class! Sadly however, there is even –less- Troll Warlock lore than there is for Blood Elves, so this will likely be among the shorter bits of this Guide. Trolls have a long history of Voodoo, dark Blood Rituals, Hexes, et cetera... So it is not hard to believe that Troll Warlocks would be around, even though I’d assume them to be more ‘Witch-Doctor’-like, though this is merely personal speculation. Troll Magi have always been around, and as with all Races, there are a few wild cards whom find themselves intrigued by Darker Forces. With Cataclysm, Troll Warlocks have revealed themselves openly, but I assume that they would have been around a lot longer than that – Just more secretive.
There is nothing to suggest they are hated or accepted in Society, though considering Troll’s long history of Dark Practices, I presume they would merely be shrugged at.

Blood Elves:
(Blood Elf RP guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/859356996)

In Blood Elven Society, due to their Fel-Addiction, Warlocks are far more accepted, as Magistrixes play a major part in Politics, I presume that Warlocks would be treated similarly. As for how Blood Elves –became- Warlocks, there is sadly little lore on this – The same case with Blood Elven Warlocks entirely. One can only assume that due to their frequent use of enslaved Demons as a Magic Source, some may have begun manipulating the Fel Energies they harvest. Also, some of the Blood Elves whom followed Prince Kael’thas even when he allied with the Burning Legion, a few Blood Elves may have adopted their newfound allies form of Magic.
While there is little lore on Warlocks in Blood Elven Society that I can find, and as such this will be a relatively short section, for which I apologise, Blood Mages, powerful Blood-Elven Magic wielders share –many- similarities with Warlocks.

Goblins:
(Goblin RP guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/824972758)

Goblins have long been Magi, and I don’t find it hard to believe that many Goblin Mages may have ended up become Warlocks, likely finding –some- way to make it profitable to them (Money-grabbing little buggers!). They would either have discovered it on their own, by mere experimentation back on Undermine, although they would have learned a lot more from the Horde’s already existing Warlocks. As for their acceptance in Society, we must first have a look at Goblins. Let’s face it; half of them would be willing to run over their own Mother with a Train if there was money in it. Goblins have a fairly seedy society as it is, and I would assume that Goblin Warlocks spread across most Cartels, not just Bilgewater, and wouldn’t suffer any persecution. It’s not like any zealous Goblin Priests are going to be chasing them down.

Talent Trees:

Warlock Talent Trees rarely have much effect on how one would Roleplay; however the three paths are worth noting. Some find themselves more intrigued by their Demons, some their spells, and others feel the need to curse and hex their enemies. These will likely be short, as information is scarce on Warlock Talent Trees in Lore.

Demonology:

Demons are a key part of any Warlock’s arsenal, though some are more drawn to them than others. While some may stick to their Shadowbolts, a Demonologist finds him or herself more interested by these Hellish beings from the Twisting Nether. Many Demonologists have sadly met their end due to attempts at summoning creatures they cannot control, or merely a summoning backfiring. Demonology is arguably the most dangerous of the three paths to follow.

Affliction:

Affliction Warlocks prefer torturing and taunting their targets with painful, effective Shadow spells, hexes and curses. While few see the difference between Warlocks, it is easy to believe that one smart enough to tell the difference between three types of Warlocks would find Affliction Warlocks the most dangerous and mistrustful. A Warlock whom focuses largely on Shadow Spells can also be known as a Shadowmage.

Destruction:

Destruction Warlocks are similar to Affliction Warlocks, merely replace Shadow with Fire. They rain down painful, searing flames upon those whom would dare to challenge them, relying less on curses and the like, preferring fast, instant attacks.

Demons:

Good old Demons. Demons are one of the main features of the class OOC’ly, but IC, they aren’t entirely used too much, save by Demonology Warlocks. Even though most, if not all Warlocks –can- summon a Demon, Affliction and Destruction Warlocks rely on them less. Demonology Warlocks on the other hand, are centralised around them, and would have much more skill in controlling Demons, and summoning greater ones.
As for how to treat your Demon IC’ly, it really differs on how your character thinks of them. Some mind see them mere slaves, their lives totally worthless, their only purpose being to serve. Some others may treat them with the utmost respect, despite the Demon likely hating their period of servitude.

Soul Shards

Most, if not all Demonic Summoning Rituals involve sacrificing Soul Shards, each containing the Souls of a previously slain mortal. Once sacrificed, the gem is left intact, though rendered useless, the soul of it's former inhabitant having been taken as tribute, for the Demon's Service. Afterwards, however, the inhabitant's soul is doomed to eternal torture and pain, until their broken, torn soul is finally cast into the abyss.
The Lore on Soul Shards is -very- vague, and I searched for a few hours only to turn up with the above information, so I can't exactly explain the process of the Soul leaping from the body to the Gem, however we can assume it is something similar to holding out the Gem, allowing the Soul of the fallen creature to jump from it into the gem.

Imps:

The basic Demon, practically everyone can summon one, though it does not mean the Ritual is easy. I’m no expert on summoning Rituals in Lore, as I rarely use them IC, and would direct you to Sophyra’s thread, ‘Infernal Key - Guide to Demonic Summonings’ for more in-depth explanations on the summoning Rituals. Here I shall be focusing more on what level of Warlock would summon them.

Voidwalkers:

Voidwalkers! Created from the Chaos within the Twisting Nether, these silent, submissive creatures of the void have only one purpose: Unconditionally serving a master. The creatures can understand, yet not speak Eredun, the tongue of the Burning Legion. They will carry out even the most suicidal and tactically unsound command without a second thought, and when seperated from their Master, will carry out the last command given.
The touch of a Voidwalker, even merely brushing their hand, brings the victim's most painful and agonising memories to surface, causing them to be consumed with terror and anger, focusing entirely on destroying the source of this mental suffering, not on it's Master, whom is currently raining down oblivion upon them.

Succubi and Incubi

While Incubi are rarely seen in the Lore, not at all in-game, they would, of course, exist. Just less-used than the Succubi, and since we have no Lore describing them, I’d avoid it, as creating your own image can be a bit... Eh.
Succubi however, are arguably one of the most useful Demons to a Warlock’s disposal, being able to charm all but the most powerful of wills to do her bidding, though is easily smited and physically weak. They can also fall incontrollably in love with their Master, and a devoted Succubus can throw fits of extreme jealousy when their Master deals with one of the opposite gender, even if it is a completely mundane exchange.
In combat, their main weapon is seducing the enemy, gaining their trusts and striking when they are in a weak position, but that is not the only weapon in her arsenal! She is surprisingly swift and agile, and can easily flank and feint an opponent. They speak and understand Eredun, and some can boast knowledge of at least understanding Common.

Felhunters:

Felhunters are... Controllable. I myself use a Felhunter occasionally in RP, as they are about on par with Succubi and Incubi IC, when it comes to level of difficulty summoning and controlling. One must always be wary around a Felhunter, as they can easily drain all magic from a body until it is but a husk, and it only takes some gumption and rebelliousness to do the same to it’s owner...

Felguard:

Felguards are essentially, to the Legion, glorified cannon fodder, being mindless brutes to be sent in to crush the enemy. They are members of the mo'arg species, which also includes gan'arg, stunted and yet fast-thinking creatures that are essentially the Legion's more twisted version of Gnomes, being used as engineers.
Felguards are commonly under the command of Doomguards, Pit Lords, and other Legion Commanders. While most other demons rely on magic or some level of trickery and craftiness, these brutes prefer to use just sheer force. They revel in the blood and terror of battle, sometimes refusing to pull back from Combat if it believes it has a chance of triumph.

Infernals:

Infernals are mindless constructs of felfire and fury, and can be summoned by Warlocks and Nazrethim. They are not demons, but better described as constructs, being crafted by the Tozrethim, distant cousins of Nazrethim and also servants to the Legion, and fall to the earth as molten, fel-imbued meteorites, where they unfold into their true forms. While they can only remain around for so long before falling apart due to natural causes, rather than battle, they can still wreak horrific damage in their short lifespans, and some of the mightier ones have been known to raze entire cities before dissipating back into the Great Dark Beyond. They are exceedingly dull, only being able to obey basic commands. They are similar to the Abyssals, and while it is stated nowhere in the Lore, it is more than likely that they are also constructs of the Tozrethim.

Doomguards:

Doomguards commonly serve as the Legion's Captains and Generals, commanding large scale battles. However, do not mistake this tactical prowess to be making up for a lack of physical strength, for they can easily destroy enemy squads and platoons with dark, twisted magic and sheer physical strength. They once served Archimonde, one of the former co-rulers of the Legion along with Kil'jaeden, but after his defeat at Mount Hyjal, they roam the universe as mercenaries of a sort, wearing breastplates emblazoned with Archimonde's symbol, despite his defeat, believing that he will one day return to rule them again. Despite this, a large number of the race still serve the Legion, though now under Kil'jaeden. They are members of the Ered'ruin species, which also encompass Doomlords and possibly Fiends.

Dreadsteeds:

These firey, horse-like demons are native to the world of Xoroth, currently under Legion command by Lord Hel'nurath, a Nazrethim. I'd avoid using them In Character too much however, as the ritual to summon one is -very- complicated, and you would have to be a complete dolt to ride one within a mile range of practically any settlement, for fear of being slaughtered on the spot, admist cries of 'Demon Worshipper!', and the waving of pitchforks and torches.

Other useful Links:

Fel:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Fel

Fel Corruption:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Fel_corruption

Warlocks:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Warlock

Infernal Key - Guide to Demonic Summonings by Sophyra: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1622895588

Bloodmages:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Blood_mage

Shadowmages:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Shadowmage

A list of Notable Warlocks:

Gul’dan:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Gul%27dan

Medivh:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Medivh

Archimonde:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Archimonde

Kil’Jaeden: