Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers

+16
Saevir
Xen-tau
Rmuffn
Sanara
Fortesgue
Lexgrad
Geneviève
Ave/Sariella
Amaryl
Kristeas Sunbinder
Flo
Lini
Braiden
Ron Sexton
Eowale
Geldar
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers Empty Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers

Post by Geldar Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Well, new short story about the faction leaders was posted yesterday. And after reading through it, I thought it should be posted for anyone to read/discuss. Considering the gene pool of writers in Blizzard is very shallow these days, this is amazingly well written.

Story has a dozen spoilers in it as well, and it shows quite many sides of Varian, from his distaste to Nobles to the love of his people. The story gives quite some depth behind the character and I find it rather insightful, now, enjoy reading:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/leader-story/varian-wrynn/1

I would post it here, but its way too long for that to happen.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers Empty Re: Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers

Post by Eowale Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:23 pm

*Awaits Braiden's comment to feed on his tears*
Eowale
Eowale

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers Empty Re: Expanded Universe: Varian Wrynn - Blood of our Fathers

Post by Ron Sexton Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm still reading the story, and I must say I am enjoying it.
Ron Sexton
Ron Sexton

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Actually that's kinda the picture I got of how it is, Varian would have a distaste for most officials. Now we are just waiting for junior to become king once Varian gets himself killed by being a reckless fool Wink
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Now we are just waiting for junior to become king once Varian gets himself killed by being a reckless fool Wink

You SHOULD really read the story and what happens at the end, you might think otherwise after, trust me on that.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Geldar wrote:
Now we are just waiting for junior to become king once Varian gets himself killed by being a reckless fool Wink

You SHOULD really read the story and what happens at the end, you might think otherwise after, trust me on that.
It's still a large part of his personality to be a reckless fool Razz
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 pm

And you should still read! D:
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 pm

I rather liked this story. Much better than, say, the one about Tyrande and Malfurion. Although...The fight scene was a bit silly with how some the in-game abilities were described.

Sylvanas' story is still my favourite, though.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Flo Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:10 pm

With the powah of luuuurv!

I found it a tad cheesy, but eh, could've been worse.
Flo
Flo

Character sheet
Name: Sanaje
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Flo wrote:With the powah of luuuurv!

I found it a tad cheesy, but eh, could've been worse.

That I can agree with.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm

it started rather crappy, the fight was meh... its all so cartoony and cheesy, and the personalities are really a sit-com mess. even the constantly conniving "nobles" are suddenly cheering when the king is having his speech, like every single glee episode where the entire crowd cheers, sings along and dances when the group is performing but then continues to slushi them the next day.

the only interesting part was the reconciliating between Anduin and Varian, and how that happened was also cartoony...

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Amaryl wrote:it started rather crappy, the fight was meh... its all so cartoony and cheesy, and the personalities are really a sit-com mess. even the constantly conniving "nobles" are suddenly cheering when the king is having his speech, like every single glee episode where the entire crowd cheers, sings along and dances when the group is performing but then continues to slushi them the next day.

the only interesting part was the reconciliating between Anduin and Varian, and how that happened was also cartoony...

I sense a theme here!

/wiseowl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ave/Sariella Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:56 pm

It is a rather cartoony game so i dont mind the story at all, i actually liked the story alot even if its cheesy and what not.
Ave/Sariella
Ave/Sariella

Character sheet
Name: Analeigh Avery Blackdawn
Title: Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah, the story itself was quite nice as I said, but the execution was corny to say at least.

Still, one of the better of those short stories.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm

I thought it was all rather poor. An empty story full of the usual pantomime characters designed solely to make Blizzards hero of the day look good regardless of his faults.

The fight scene was clearly written by somebody who thinks Neo hanging in the air before kicking Agent Smith was the highlight of the Matrix series and whilst I like teamwork as much as the next man describing Anduin and his Father as a perfect team made me cringe.

Characterising the Stormwind Army as the US Marine Corps did make me laugh, especially because of the reference to that old quote.

As usual Blizzards attempts at writing in a 'sacrifice' were futile, empty and unnessecary. The whole Anduin thing was just begging for someone to run out with Scouter.

Varian came across as personally weak. His Nobles don't seem to respect him, everyone in the story seems to criticise him and all he can do in response is intimidate them into silence. "It is easy to be brave behind castle walls." There is no strength in intimidating men in your own fortress. Only intellectual weakness that you cannot convince them, however begrudgingly, that your policies are sound.

The reconciliation was nice but ruined completely by the unnessecary sacrifice and ressurection. Cheapening forever the 'stakes' of war. There's no risk now, no wonder he's so wonderfully brave. king

Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I must say I like how Varian was in "full dress splendor for the holiday" while he just woke up from his chair screaming...bloody stupid writing if you ask me xD

if you look at how the characters are portrayed when compared to the sylvanas story, its kinda shabby.

then Jaina's part starts with that she believes they need to find a way for peace with the horde. but lescovar is all like "we need peace, since our lands are hurting because of the war" so Jaina and Lescovar get into an argument... which totally makes absolutely no sense... but hey Jaina is good, lescovar is conniving... so they can't agree while they agree! bad writing, and a bad way to create the tension between the two, especially with the sycophants lescovar seems to have as a young noble against Jaina proudmoore. if the writer would have put the focus on the conflict because his father was a traitor, or that jaina's supposed relationship with Thrall... but no, they're arguing about the thing they both want.
crap. and I can continue. without bringing up the cartoony, save the day in just the right time!

i';ve only read 5 of these stories, but if you guys say this is one of the better one... dear lord..why is blizzard posting fan-fiction as canon? >.<'

the best line in the story was Growing up in the shadow of heroes must have been difficult. To think any one man could shoulder such a weight is folly. and the fact that this sentence was in italics speaks wonders about the writing... while other toughts and murmuring weren't in italics.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ave/Sariella Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:41 pm

I'd comment further but once i'm done reading the post i've forgotten what's been mentioned. *facepalm*
Ave/Sariella
Ave/Sariella

Character sheet
Name: Analeigh Avery Blackdawn
Title: Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Amaryl wrote:

i';ve only read 5 of these stories, but if you guys say this is one of the better one... dear lord..why is blizzard posting fan-fiction as canon? >.<'
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/#leader-story
Go read the one about Tyrande and Malfurion. I dare you.
I fully admit that I still call the Varian story alright is because that story is still somewhat fresh in my mind.

As for the ones I recall being good (given the context) were...hmmm. Sylvanas, Vol'jin and Mekkatorque, I think.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Flo Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Amaryl wrote:i';ve only read 5 of these stories, but if you guys say this is one of the better one... dear lord..why is blizzard posting fan-fiction as canon? >.<'
Yea, I'm just gonna point a finger at their normal 'novels' here, and just say that it's not such a far stretch. :p
Flo
Flo

Character sheet
Name: Sanaje
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Its much better than what is spawned from the shallow gene pool of writers they have currently on payroll or with licenses to write about the universe.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:39 pm

King chin is a demi god...

Hmm need a bad guy, I know how about the old gods make someone mad! Win...

Lets take Tyrande in a new direction as a stay at home wife...

ect...
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fortesgue Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Well, usual negativity aside..

I loved it XD

I like the fact it was obviously that bastard ArchBishop who set the attack all up.
I love Anduin, and i love Varian.

Cheese and all, i think it gave a good representation of WoW human culture.
They get swept away by big motions and cheesy but grand speeches! all within the theme.

I even like the way Anduin controlled the Light XD

Ive read Sylvanas's, Mekkas and Varians, and i can honestly say i liked all three Very Happy Sylvanas's cunning, Mekkas intelligence and intuition, and Anduin and Varians strength.
Fortesgue
Fortesgue

Character sheet
Name: Fortesgue Witherthorpe
Title: Bishop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:42 am

I really didn't like it, frankly. Mekkatorque, Baine and Sylvanas all had much better, thousand times more interesting ones.

This one was just pretty bland - which I guess suits the way Humans in World of WarCraft are usually depicted, as shallow, cartoony fantasy stereotypes with zero depth.

I've never liked how Varian's only qualities seem to be "hitting stuff real guud" and that he somehow comes away with profit out of that. Even Conan (in the novels) had a lot more than just brute strength and an angsty past to rely on. It just makes Varian seem like he's designed to be "cool", without any proper characterization.

It is also plagued by the same problem as much of recent writings about Varian, Malfurion and Thrall, the big favourites; Everyone who disagrees with them is EVIL. Or at least a morally reprehensible drunkard, who is probably also EVIL.

Blegh. I still dread to read Velen's one because I'm 100% certain it will make the Draenei go from "strange aliens with an interesting culture and religion" to "humans with blue skin and strange foreheads"...
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:01 am

Should have let him die. That would have made the Lore more interesting.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:21 am

I am still reading at the moment, but I do like to say I absolutely hated the "nightmare intro", but that's because I hate most characters with murdered father that cannot let go.

Blegh. I still dread to read Velen's one because I'm 100% certain it will make the Draenei go from "strange aliens with an interesting culture and religion" to "humans with blue skin and strange foreheads"...

You do? I am quite looking forward to Lor'themar's story. Lor'themar never really had a personality, apart from the more stereotypical lines he uses as Regent-Lord. Same goes for the other two next to him. I wonder what they will make of this... but I can imagine same goes for Velen..
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next