Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin

+48
Arabella Greene
Braiden
Xen-tau
Kittrina
Melnerag
Gogol
Tollir
Ron Sexton
Eowale
Eloresh
Thelos
Khendran
Dharum
Rmuffn
Velynia
Hellvern/Ben
Shaelyssa
Vaell
Lexgrad
Morinth
Frostfeather
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Nithel
Ayariel
Nayan
Nathiniós
Ralegh
Sylvina
bloop
Rhygel
Chase - Esou
teirzul
Geneviève
Zakki Thundershot
Jenette / Dagur
Thenkar
Valerias
Grufftoof
Muzjhath
Baalin
Amaryl
Lavian
Tírius
Gesh
Aleric
Geldar
Zinkle Figgins
Meralynn / Ashla
52 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin Empty The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 am

There is a thread about True Blood so why not one about these AMAZING books?

The books are to be read in english, in this order:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance of Dragons (waiting to be published)

It is hard to explain what the books are about in a short text like this. We get to follow a quantity of different characters and their lives in the land of Westeros. There are no such things as a chosen one, a hero with a magic sword or a certain quest or evil man clad in black that wants to take over the world. Only people. Sad, pathetic, corrupt, interesting, wonderful and horrible people. Maybe that is what makes the books so special?

Here is a link for the first few chapters of the first book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0553573403/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link

Those of you who have read the books! What are your opinions? Who is your favourite character? What are your hopes for Dragons? Please do not spoil the books for others but write in your post clearly wich book your spoiler will be about, something like this:

Crows
Spoiler:
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet
Name: Meralynn
Title: Sergeant, Blazing Shields

Back to top Go down

The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin Empty Re: The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:21 am

I have read them all, and now I pray on a daily basis that George doesn't die leaving the saga incomplete, curse him and his fat and lazyness.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin Empty Re: The Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:32 am

I KNOW!!
I ahve waited for MONTHS now for Dragons to be published... The good thing is that it is another one of those lovely thick books, I think he was at 1500 pages or something last time I checked his blog. Surprised
AND another good thing is that he pretty much is writing the sixth book at the same time so that one we will hopefully not have to wait for so long! Yay!
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 am

Was a bit dissapointed after the 4th book, nothing compared with the previous books in my opinion. Ah well, it was an enjoyable read but I`ll stick to Dragonlance, Black Library pieces and Belgarath.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aleric Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:45 am

Geldar wrote:Was a bit dissapointed after the 4th book, nothing compared with the previous books in my opinion. Ah well, it was an enjoyable read but I`ll stick to Dragonlance, Black Library pieces and Belgarath.

I'm afraid he actually isn't trolling.
Aleric
Aleric

Character sheet
Name: Sir Aleric Dylain
Title: Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:57 am

Im not, atleast wont do that on the subject of literature.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:08 am

Geldar wrote:Im not, atleast wont do that on the subject of literature.
On what topic, do you know any good Warhammer fantasy novels? they've got some in my local waterstones. But I'm not sure which to start off with.. Big Fan of The Dark elves.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 am

I`ll need to dig around tomorow for some names. Right now I wont be rummaging through my library at 5 am in the morning.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:25 am

OI! Keep on topic! Discuss other books in another thread! Razz
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tírius Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:13 am

Just ordered the first one from Amazon :3 I'll post again once I've read it ^.^
Tírius
Tírius

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aleric Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:41 am

G. R. R. Martin is, hands down, the most skilled fantasy author I know of. I say skilled because of the tremendous complexity of his work. The way he manages to juggle multiple plots and subplots, multiple view points, solid story and characters arcs that make you live and die with the characters. The characters themselves are well detailed, whether they are noble, scary, disgusting, seductive, conniving or bon vivants.

It is gritty and dark. Characters die and grave injustices are done to them. Vengeance is had but at a terrible price. The world is at it is and so are the people in it. You have to try and survive the best you can.

I should mention that the dark and gritty atmosphere is well executed and it never feels like it is thrown in there just to make it dark and gritty.
Aleric
Aleric

Character sheet
Name: Sir Aleric Dylain
Title: Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:31 am

Isn't the thrones one being made into a series or something?
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 am

Ovelia "Snow" Adair wrote:Isn't the thrones one being made into a series or something?

Yes. with Sean Bean actually.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Baalin Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:12 am

These old gnomish bones love the books, reading through the 2nd one so far =) Having a blast.
Baalin
Baalin

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:55 am

Good books, even if ... one's gotten annoyed waiting for book 5 since 06...

And that book 4 was boring
Spoiler:

And yes, it is being made into a TV-Series, and for most part I like the cast that I saw they've collected.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 am

Feast of crows:

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:30 am

Spoiler:

I hadn't read these books until relatively late I guess. I was then given the first two. And devoured them. It's mature, gritty, brilliant writing. Without being trite or over the top, to me anyway. The world is something almost describable (the war of 5 kings "feels" like the War of the Roses to some extent, and Westros is medieval, kinda) but then there are things like the Wall, the Others and the lands in the East and South. Magic exists, but it is a tangible, real magic, and it is dark.

Theres sex (including incest and rape), theres violent death (and worse?!). They're probably not books for kids. But they're books I would encourage any reader of fantasy to read. Or any player of WoW. Or RPer.

Spoiler:

Last edited by grufftoof on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:58 am

Spoiler:

The biggest beef I have with the book is that after the end of Storm it was mostly characters not really in the book I wanted to hear of. Them not showing up was a bit of a "*Darth Vader voice* NOoooooooo!"

And I have to say I like the cast of characters, the only thing I could ask for is more characters of lower stature, but since that doesn't really fit the books in general I just get the "enlisted" mans point of view from Glen Cook and Steven Erikson.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 am

They plan to make one season per book of the TV Show and I am DYING to see it! Also they are planning a PC game based on the books!

I often walk around in WoW and wish it was Westeros. The religion of the Seven, for example, how cool wouldn't that be? Imagine the nice little touch it would give to the RP if someone has died, for example and you could say "May the Father judge him justly.". Would be awesome!

Feast for Crows:
Spoiler:
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:19 am

The HBO series is due to be premiered in 2011.

HBO Game of Thrones site that includes a teaser trailer.

Spoiler:

Just for you Billiam Smile

Last edited by grufftoof on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:28 am

Yay for Grufftoff! Very Happy

Thrones:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Billiam / Ashla on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:30 am

Well thanks to Elegost, I've just started getting intrigued - and apparently I'm well intrigued since I read Thrones in the space of two days >> I've ordered the next one, wa-hey!

I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed with the writing, as in the actual words. It's adequate for telling the story, but it's nothing strikingly special. Still, the story makes up for it -- the complexity and the sweeping scale, believable characters, an imaginative world. Fantasy has so much room to be cliche, and I appreciate that Martin's stayed away from using too much magic-ness and stuck to developing the human complexity of his world.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thenkar Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:31 pm

These books introduced me to Martin and after they were finished I had to move to Dreamsongs and Tuff stories.

Nevertheless, I absolutely love the series. Won't talk about the plots or characters much yet, because it's been years since I read them last time and my memory's foggy...
Perhaps I'll reread them before Dance comes, just to refresh it all.

And I was a bit sullen at first, when I heard that Feast only dealt with the characters in southern Westeros, like many, my favourites lie in the North and abroad.
Still, thanks to it I think I got some insight into the other characters I might've missed otherwise.

And, if Martin dies before the series ends... we'll bring him back.

Thenkar

Character sheet
Name: Thenkar Shadowborn
Title: Shadowpope of the Cult

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 pm

What do you guys think/hope will happen in Dragons?

Spoiler:
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Billiam / Ashla wrote:What do you guys think/hope will happen in Dragons?

Spoiler:

You sound about 12 ^^

Spoiler:

Infact, I am not sure I think any of that, as I have no idea... Martin tends to do his own thing!
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next