Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What stops you from organizing and holding open events?

+27
Nithel
Sanara
Saevir
Magaskawee/Anaei
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Mikasa
Kozgugore Feraleye
Gesh
Rakshine/Vect
Raviran / Reynar
Shaelyssa
Etular
Antistia
Kil'drakor
Torukan
Visceril
Kristeas Sunbinder
Valerias
Jayse
Lavian
Ledgic
Mandui
Cathee Norris
Grufftoof
Terenor
Gahalla
Melnerag
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What stops you from organizing open events? (multiple allowed)

What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap16%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 16 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap8%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap9%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap4%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap7%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap17%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 17 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap7%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap8%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
[ 7 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap5%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 5 ]
What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_lcap11%What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 99

What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Empty What stops you from organizing and holding open events?

Post by Melnerag Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 am

It is more of a curiosity-thread, as well as an opportunity to discuss. The title says it all: what stops you personally from organizing and holding events? Please vote on the vote-section and discuss in this thread. If you -are- organizing events, treat the question as "What stops you from organizing and holding events more often ?"

To make sure all of us are on the same boat.

Open Organized Event - a gathering of at least five people for Role-playing purposes, meeting at a pre-set time either due to an invitation or on a regular basics, which does not happen spontaneously and has an organizer AND/OR a storyline created by a player who acts as a guide and ensures it runs smoothly, which involves at least five other people. In both instances people are welcome to join and participate if they have a good reason and do not 'break' the event.

So, your private storyline with a friend is not an event in the content of this thread. Meeting on Cathedral Square every evening and sitting on a bench is not an event either.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Empty Re: What stops you from organizing and holding open events?

Post by Gahalla Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 am

For me time is the primary limiting factor. There are some other things that play part, but time is the primary reason. That said, I still manage to get something going form time to time.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

What stops you from organizing and holding open events? Empty Re: What stops you from organizing and holding open events?

Post by Terenor Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:30 am

First three for me.

Terenor

Character sheet
Name: Terenor Tomebinder
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:30 am

I try to organize something regularly, but due to my somewhat perfectionist stance it is a lot of effort. So reason I don't do more events is because the 'reward is not worth the effort' at some point anymore.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36 am

Other, namely...

Aside from time. It's the game world. And its mechanics.

The mechanics of WoW make RP difficult for me. Or at least, what my brain likes to do. It's a very static world. GMs aren't like in Pen and Paper. Or even in a PW like NWN.

So I limit much of mine to small stuff, in game. And then use the World of Warcraft as a whole, or theme, for writing and such outside of game. As I find it easier, and usually more enjoyable.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:40 am

Although its expected of me, lately I've felt like I can't make events due to a mix of reason 5 and 6. Whether its true or not, I feel like I'll be judged because I'm part of the Council now, thus no one would want to help out or participate due to that. Which is why I'm having a week off of WoW..
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Reason 3 (considering that I have ICly active characters on horde too) and 7 for me. Like Sai said, sometimes one thinks double before organizing anything, especially as a council member (not to mention being a Bloodwind member on top of it!), since it has become a trend to have the tag "elitist" hovering over my head, even from those who have barely or even never RPed with me. People will nitpick more than they would if the organizer was not a minister and it's not a surprise anymore when things end in drama for no particular reason.

I have to say that this poll has a nice timing, since I'm about to launch another event soon xD
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm

I selected other, mainly because it's for a mix of reasons.

While I like organizing events, there is always the chance that a) it'll fall on it's arse and b) even if it doesn't, it'll go badly or something along those lines.

Those prospects have never stopped me in the past, but these days I'm more apprehensive due to the RP on the server these days, when compared to the "days of old". Less RP'ers, less characters actually getting along and less comparisons you can draw between guilds.

I think the server is just a lot less friendly :p Which doesn't help for having much fun event making.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 pm

One word sums it up for myself:

Anxiety.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Well currently there is nothing stopping me other the lacking the time but it's a good point of discussion. Most of my time when RPing in WoW since forming the SI:7 representation in the community is admin work. Keeping upto date with everyone, working out small plots and the standpoint (as best I can IC'ly) that I think SI:7 would have in a situation and making the calls as and when needed. It doesn't sound a lot on paper but in practise its exhausting, enjoyable non-the-less but exhausting all the same.

I only RP one character being Jayse and have alot of things in the pipeline it is just finding time to dedicate to finishing planning them and putting into exectution. People involved do thier bit however which is great and takes the load off, granting me that time to 'casually' RP as it were doing things other then his occupation.

However it's known that open event's have a high likleyhood of deteriorating due to multiple factors/sudden dramatic changes that often steer the overarching plot in completley the opposite direction.

On a personal note I -love- open scale events like this, even the ones I'm not involved in I try to keep uptodate with the news even if just on an OOC basis.

But yes for me the main thing is having time to dedicate to something like that. Might be a case of spreading myself too thin over multiple slices of bread but it keeps things interesting.

(Edit: I took the approach referring to very large events. The smaller more presonal things (small group scenario) I do alot of)

Last edited by Jayse on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:18 pm

I can't be bothered with the inevitable drama, so I stick to making stuff for my guildies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:20 pm

While I realise this isn't a 'who organises events and who doesn't' thread, I do have to say, Soph, that the Red Eclipse is still one of my favourite events of this kind on the server. So I'd say you're doing your bit when it comes to creating RP!

As for me, my lack of event organising is a mixture of time and lack of ideas. I play so many characters (too many, I expect) that it's difficult to put enough focus into event planning; though in honesty my greatest trouble is ideas. I may have them now and then, but they're rarely grand and interesting, and I don't want put in a good deal of work only to end up boring people to death.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 pm

As a guild there is atleast one regulare event we have (unless something comes up), it's the weekly training. I have been thinking about opening up but there are two reasons that stop me.
1: It can still go a bit smoothers, if people come to join, I don't want my belves to look like a mercenary group. (should be able to put a bit red line through this soon \o/)
2: The obvious IC response to open training would that belf roleplayers from silvermoon come. And it seems that a lot of people have their rp around screwing with my belves, *kidnapping here**mindwipe poison there*. I don't have a proper IC reason for that... maybe an open thingy when we're on that training trip.

But to sum it up, I'm paranoid of the drama.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Interessting replies! Good to see non-drama threads grow!

Just a question at people who think they don't have good ideas: if you could buy Good Ideas (with a guarantee and 1-year-warrancy!) on the market for a few cents, would you make events then? Very Happy
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Visceril Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 pm

1 & 6

I love Rp'ing alongside like minded Spec-Op RP'ers, but with my current workload & training
all I have is idea's of various events written down.

So where I haven't got a great deal of time to RP as much as I want, when I login I get the feeling
OOCly & ICly that I can't get involved as it seems the community knows everyone
and I'm just a stranger poking my head in now and again.
Visceril
Visceril

Character sheet
Name: Visceril Strain
Title: Deathstalker

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Other, My concepts never make it into an actual event because they get bashed by various people instead of actually providing feedback, so I gave up on even trying, I'm glad the council declined my application (which was a bit retarded seeming I'm the only one interested in the position) because I would see my event concepts being bashed even if they were a simple 'come RP with people in the library and educate your character'

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:43 pm

We all know that all people do in libraries is whisper to each other. Get educated, man.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Torukan Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Ledgic/Omanos wrote:We all know that all people do in libraries is whisper to each other. Get educated, man.

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I'm on about, why don't you go and be an elitest c*** somewhere else

Torukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

As much as I enjoy organizing events on an irregular basis, I have to say it's an ungrateful chore most of the time. Anybody who has organized anything can second this, surely.

When you get thanked and/or complimented, however, it makes it all the effort seem worth it again.

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

If libraries allowed people to take Kama Sutra home, instead of only to reading hall, that wouldn't happen Omanos!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Sophyra wrote:If libraries allowed people to take Kama Sutra home, instead of only to reading hall, that wouldn't happen Omanos!

rofl.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Sophyra wrote:If libraries allowed people to take Kama Sutra home, instead of only to reading hall, that wouldn't happen Omanos!

What wonderful days you speak of.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Back on topic please. Don't bullshit this thread. Smile

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Maybe people should learn logic, "don't like it, don't come".
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Well, for me it is a matter of simply not having enough time, I know from experience that public events can be extremely gratifying, I've always taken compliments to heart and the like, but I also know from experience that drama can come from such events and trust me when I say that for the normal participant such drama is annoying but for the organizer it is extremely agonizing and disheartening.

I'd love to do more to provide RP in general but alas, I do not have the time.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next