Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem

+6
Mandui
bloop
Feydor
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ondius
John Helsythe Amaltheria
10 posters

Go down

Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem Empty Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 pm

"A critical error has occured, your computer will restart in one minute"

So it restarts in one minute, like the above message tells me. The damn problem is that once I've logged back into my pc, it gives the same message again right away and yes, it restarts again. This gives me no chance the solve the problem, atleast -I- can not solve the problem like this. It happened about 10 times now, and am in need of help. Anyone here has suggestions of what I possible could do? Or someone who knows what I have to do?

Any idea is welcome, I'll try it out. (Posting from another pc who has NOT got wow :/ )

100 gold to he or she who gets my pc working again!
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem Empty Re: Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem

Post by Ondius Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:36 pm

This reminded me of a nice worm that was out some years ago. caused so much uproar at the time..
I am betting it's one of those. Was your pc clean of infections before this thing happened?

Ondius

Back to top Go down

Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem Empty Re: Lf one who knows alot about pcs - got pc problem

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Have you tried starting the pc in Safe-mode or what ever its called in english, by pressing f8 when the pc starts up?
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Ondus I am not sure about that one

And Bennedict, I shall try that now. I haven't tried it yet as I was afraid of screwing things up. Give me a minute! o/
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Bennedict wrote:Have you tried starting the pc in Safe-mode or what ever its called in english, by pressing f8 when the pc starts up?

Yes I can get my pc running that way, yet it does not solve the problem. I have no internet that way, and once I switch back to "normal mode" the problem occurs again. So let's say I put on save mode again. From that point I would have to solve the problem. Any ideas about how I should proceed?

Thanks so far o/
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:54 pm

when the message appears go start-> run and type
shutdown -a
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Can't find 'run', <is dutch> hmm.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by bloop Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Start -> Uitvoeren

Or just type it in the search box thingy that's include in windows Vista/7
bloop
bloop

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks Odrade.

Apparently, my pc is too slow to get to 'run' etc before the restart occurs again -.-. <is pissed off>

John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:16 pm

What operating system are you running?
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 pm

1: I have no clue about what an operating system might be =P
2: A mate of my brother suspects, like Ondius, that it's this so-called Sasser Worm.

He tells me to update my windows, which is not working either. Blargh.

Thanks for the help though.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Nehelian / Ondius wrote:This reminded me of a nice worm that was out some years ago. caused so much uproar at the time.
This. Only hope: reformat. I wish you have backups for anything valuable.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Mandui wrote:
Nehelian / Ondius wrote:This reminded me of a nice worm that was out some years ago. caused so much uproar at the time.
This. Only hope: reformat. I wish you have backups for anything valuable.

Ngh.. will try that tomorrow then. If it won't work, I'll throw it ouf of my window and cross my fingers, who knows...
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ondius Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 pm

By the way, when you do reformat, make sure the first thing you install is a good antivirus. Or else it might just happen again.

Edit: If you can download the installer from a different computer and put it on a pen, you'll minimize the risk by installing the antivirus before even connecting yourself to an internet source

Ondius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:18 am

I recommend AVG free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrystan Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:45 am

First off. Do you have any anti-virus/malware installed on your PC? Because you can run that while in safe mode. If not then my first comment is, WHY!?

If you have then go into safe mode as described above and run it, hopefully that will find the worm, IF that is the problem.

If it finds it and destroys it and that hasn't worked, there's something far more deeply wrong with your PC, but unless you've installed any new hardware recently I can't say from here what that could be. Same if it can't find anything. IN this instance I'd recommend a format and re-install, but use Safe Mode to create a backup of anything you need to keep first! Before using that backup though, run it through the anti-virus.

Right, now if you haven't got any virus protection, first off, I can't understand why the hell not, there is NO excuse anymore. Since your not confident with PC's, I wouldn't recommend running a boot-up virus scanner since they can be quite complicated and requirte CMOS and BIOS settings to be changed to really work well. So Backup, Format and Re-install.

I'm just waiting to sit my exams for CompTIA A+ in Computing, just starting studying for my Network+ now and after that doing my Microsoft certs so yeah, I see this far too often!

Chrystan
Chrystan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:49 am

^What he said.

<-is also betting Sasser worm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:51 am

If the re-format doesn't work, then you're the unluckiest person alive. But yeah, definitely take heed of what Dahian's said. There's no excuse to be without virus protection these days, you're just asking for trouble and there are so many options available to you.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tírius Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeah, I reckon a reformat is in order, though what Feydor said might've worked? Just hold down your Windows Key (the one between Alt and Ctrl) and press R - that'll open "Run". From there type 'shutdown -a' which should abort the shutdown. It's always a good idea to backup your hard-drive every now and then - I suggest buying an external hard-drive and copying your files over once a month or something like that.
Tírius
Tírius

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Shutdown -a is not working (unless I'm that retarded that I'm doing it wrong, which is highly possible in these situations).

I do have Norton Security & some sort of firewall, I always thought that was some anti virus thingy.

But yeah I'm going to reformat my pc and reinstal wow thursday and if it succeeds then I guess Mandui won the 100 gold as she was first! =p

In the meanwhile I'm installing wow on this even crappier pc, ah well thanks all.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Karkath/Màrag wrote:Shutdown -a is not working (unless I'm that retarded that I'm doing it wrong, which is highly possible in these situations).

I do have Norton Security & some sort of firewall, I always thought that was some anti virus thingy.

But yeah I'm going to reformat my pc and reinstal wow thursday and if it succeeds then I guess Mandui won the 100 gold as she was first! =p

In the meanwhile I'm installing wow on this even crappier pc, ah well thanks all

Atleast that's something \o/
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrystan Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10 am

If you have Norton, try running it while in safe mode, if there is a Virus or Worm it'll find it and fix the problem without re-formatting and re-installing.

Too many people are too eager to do formats at any slight problem, every time you format a Hard Drive you shorten it's life, they are designed to be formatted only a few times maximum, it's quite a lot of pressure on the platters and heads.
Chrystan
Chrystan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down