Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gathering War Supplies [on hold]

+7
Tachal
Skarain
erwtenpeller
Amaryl
Thelos
siegmund
Drustai
11 posters

Go down

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] Empty Gathering War Supplies [on hold]

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:07 am

This campaign is currently on hold/cancelled due to ongoing events in Kalimdor. It may pick up in some fashion once those events end.

GATHERING WAR SUPPLIES

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] Ku9p

About the Campaign
Gathering War Supplies is a campaign designed to provide RP incentives for gathering resources to supply the upcoming Siege of Orgrimmar. It is inspired by the War Effort quests for the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj world event, and its mechanics are based off of Mass Effect 3's 'Galaxy at War' system. ICly, it represents the Alliance's drive to expand its resource initiatives while the Horde is busy fighting itself.

Gathering War Supplies will run up until 5.4. During this time, Alliance guilds will be contracted to help assemble various resource gathering facilities across the world of Azeroth and otherwise help acquire war assets. Choices for zones have been taken from recent requests made by players. It includes, among other zones, Townlong Steppes, Silithus Desert, and Twilight Highlands.

As resources are gathered, they will begin being turned into finished products at home territories. This will represent a general level of success. The more resources, the more production, the better chance the Alliance will have of doing well in the war (and the more supplies the Alliance will be able to supply the Horde Rebellion). The less resources, the less production, the more casualties the Alliance will suffer (and the less supplies it will be able to supply the Horde Rebellion).

Unlike previous campaigns, this is not a strictly WPvP campaign. Due to the fact that the Alliance is allied with the Horde Rebellion (of which is comprised of the majority of Horde RP guilds), it doesn't make sense to schedule actual conflict. However, unscheduled conflict is certainly possible. The Horde Rebellion could seek to divert itself from its operations to put a halt to the Alliance's efforts, out of fear that the Alliance infrastructure will be too strong after the war. Either way, this will be entirely built upon in-character decisions. There will be no scheduled battles. Dates will be made available, and if Horde players wish to travel to one of the zones in question during those dates and engage the Alliance in battle, they are perfectly free to.

Construction Event Weeks
Until 5.4, every other week there will be an event week at a specific location across Azeroth to set up a facility. I will be scheduling and announcing these, and writing up individual event threads for each one with more specific details.

During these event weeks, players will go to the established location and ICly work to set up the facility. While doing this, they may run daily mission scenarios to additionally increase assets, and to keep people occupied. Mission scenarios are activities undertaken while players are working on the construction of a facility. For each day that the players are in the zone, they will roll for a random mission. Completing that mission will grant assets. Failing or doing no mission at all will, of course, award no assets. Each zone will have a different chart, representing local threats and treasures. This chart will include around 10 different scenarios for that zone.

The facilities and locations that will be set up are as follows:
Lumber at Krasarang Wilds, at Stranglethorn Vale, at Grizzly Hills, at Twilight Highlands
Oil at Townlong Steppes, at Borean Tundra, at Stranglethorn Vale
Gases at Silithus Desert, at Netherstorm

Dates for each of these event weeks will be setup soon.

In order to prevent burn out, event weeks will happen only once every other week. Essentially, you'll have a week or so of RP in a far-off world zone, and then may return to Stormwind for a week before the next allotted time.

Infrastructure Level

Infrastructure level represents how well the Alliance is doing at a quick glance. There will be 5 levels, starting at 0. As the Alliance acquires more assets through the construction of facilities and other methods, this level will go up. This is for flavor, and will indicate things like how well-equipped the troops are, how many ships the Alliance has available, how high estimated casualties will be, and how much resources the Alliance will be able to spare to the Horde Rebellion.

Assets

Assets represent the amount of supplies, resources, and otherwise important tools available to the Alliance. The standard assets are lumber, oil, and magical gases, but other assets can also be found. For example, each participating guild will count as an asset.

Acquiring assets is the primary goal of the campaign. The more assets that are acquired, the better the Alliance will do in the Siege.

Assets are acquired from two things. First is the construction of resource facilities, and the second is mission scenarios, both described in the Construction section above. In addition, important assets may be acquired during independent player events or as part of the equipment of participating guilds--powerful devices, artifacts, and people will count as assets. For example, Wild Tempest's ship counts as an asset.

Productivity

Productivity refers to the Alliance's infrastructure. It determines how efficiently the assets can be utilized. Higher productivity means that each asset will have more weight. Lower productivity means that each asset will have less weight.

The Alliance starts at 50% productivity, representing its established production facilities--farms, mines, blacksmiths, phlogiston processors, and shipyards. This means that each asset only provides half of its total value. Players can increase productivity only by their own initiative. Guild leaders are encouraged to run their own war-related events, and each such event that gets reported to me (make sure to report when you run these events!) will raise productivity. For example, the coming commendation ceremony will provide productivity due to increasing morale. On the other hand, the coming Dark vs Light debate could lower productivity, if it goes south and causes a riot or otherwise lowers morale.

Basically, productivity is a method of tracking independent side events that players and guilds choose to run on their own time. These events don't have to be directly related to the campaign at all, as shown above. Anything that in some way affects the Alliance's operational capability will be tracked by the productivity percentage.

Supply Runs

After facilities have been constructed, they are not completely self-sufficient. For them to operate at peak capacity, they need regular supplies. Supply runs are simple. Every week, a shipment of supplies may be brought from a capital city to each currently active facility. Each supply run will grant 50 assets. These are essentially "weekly" scenario events.

Roleplayed Actions

Much like the Jade Fist campaign, player creativity is strongly encouraged. In fact, to achieve perfect success, player creativity must happen. Each player event that supports the campaign will increase the Alliance's overall productivity level--increasing the value of available assets. On the other hand, successful Horde attacks or certain Alliance events (such as cultist attacks) could reduce overall productivity level.

If your guild or organization runs an event that you feel will affect the overall campaign be sure to inform the event organizer (me) after you have completed it! I will be automatically adding in all public events, but you'll have to let me know if you run any private events!

This sounds really complicated!

It sounds complicated because this is the overall concept post. Individual event threads, when posted, will focus down on precisely what the players need to be doing, without having to worry about the bigger picture. As the campaign organizer, I'm the one that will be dealing with all of these numbers. So don't worry too much about them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSETS

LUMBER

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanLumbermill

Foundation is essential if a military hopes to be victorious in battle. Things must be built, before they can be used to destroy, and there is no better building material than wood.

Locations: Grizzly Hills, Krasarang Wilds, Stranglethorn, Twilight Highlands
Value: 200 assets each
Mill Construction Time: 3 days

Note: Only two mills may be constructed per zone. (one week makes two mills)

OIL

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanRefinery

It is known as black gold. Though modern technology might require many rare and magical materials, it is Azeroth's black blood that is the key to making things burn hot--and, when necessary, blow up.

Locations: Townlong Steppes, Stranglethorn, Borean Tundra
Value: 300 assets each
Drill Construction Time: 2 days

Note: Only three drills may be constructed per zone (one week makes 3 drills).

RARE GASES

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanFoundry

War is won on more than just sword and board, and this is something the Alliance is well aware of. While the Horde relies on its physical might, the Alliance looks for ever new ways to expand its technological and magical edge.

Value: 800 assets each
Gas Collector Construction Time: 7 days

Note: Only one collector per zone may be constructed. (one week makes one collector)

PRODUCTIVITY

ORE

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] WC2Gold

It will take more than courageous hearts to defeat Garrosh's Horde. The war machine needs steel if it is to cut into the enemy and weather their counterattacks.

Value: 10% productivity

FOOD

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanFarm

An army runs on its belly, and the Fourth War began over fear of being unable to keep bellies full. Though its reserves have long since been depleted and its civilian population is suffering shortages, the Alliance's fertile lands remain able to meet its military needs.

Value: 10% productivity

ARMS AND ARMOR

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanBlacksmith

War is not fought with bare chests and fists. If Orgrimmar is to fall, a steady supply of arms and armor will be required. While these sturdy weapons and breastplates do not carry the powerful enchantments used by the Alliance's heroes, each is more than capable against the equipment used by the rank and file of Garrosh's Horde.

Value: 3% productivity each

PHLOGISTON

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanInventor

Phlogiston is the miracle fuel behind modern technology. Everything from gunpowder to steam engines relies on a steady supply of phlogiston. Plogiston itself is a highly reactive liquid produced by alchemical processing of oil, water, and rare magical gases.

Value: 4% productivity each

SHIPS

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] HumanShipyard

The Alliance fleet is mobilizing. Though this armada is significant, the Pandaren Campaign has greatly weakened it. If the Siege of Orgrimmar is going to be successful, the Alliance will need more ships.

Locations: Stormwind, Darnassus, Kul Tiras
Value: 5% productivity each

Last edited by Drustai on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 10 times in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Gathering War Supplies [on hold] Empty Re: Gathering War Supplies [on hold]

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 am

Infrastructure Level: 0
Productivity: 50%
Assets: 1805
Effective Military-Industrial Capability: 922

Status: The Alliance is still preparing for the siege. It has enough supplies to maintain its standing armies and provide basic support to the Horde Rebellion (primarily food and ore), but is not yet ready to launch an assault on Orgrimmar. Any such attempt at this stage would result in heavy casualties. Even if won, the Alliance's capability to engage war would be spent. Due to the amount of resources being spent on the war, poverty levels are high and discontent is rife. Distant territories such as the Alliance's colonies in Northrend are receiving almost no support and are left to fend for themselves.

Acquired Assets
Resources (0)
Spoiler:

Guilds (500)
Spoiler:

Armies (750)
Spoiler:

People (400)
Spoiler:

Weapons (185)
Spoiler:

Productivity Log
Spoiler:

Campaign Map, with Facility Locations
Gathering War Supplies [on hold] 8ohg

Last edited by Drustai on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:24 am; edited 13 times in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 am

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:31 am

I demand a standalone game of this!
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:09 am

I'm loving the WC II icons.

Besides that particular gut reaction though, I don't really understand this. Could you give us a TL;DR version? I mean I read trough it all but I feel like it just ran trough my brain like spring water trough a sieve. Nothing sticked.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:31 am

Thelos wrote:I'm loving the WC II icons.

Besides that particular gut reaction though, I don't really understand this. Could you give us a TL;DR version? I mean I read trough it all but I feel like it just ran trough my brain like spring water trough a sieve. Nothing sticked.

TL;DR:

There will be events (which will be announced, and get their own, independent event threads) where players set up gathering facilities at various locations across Azeroth, which earn points towards increasing Alliance capabilities. During those events (each is about a week), players can complete smaller scenarios each day (like the stuff we were doing during Jade Fist) to get more points. While those scenarios don't have to be done, not doing them will ensure that by the end of this patch, Alliance capabilities will be low. This will affect RP. Basically this is exactly the same thing that was done during Jade Fist, except that all that smaller side stuff people do will have a visible mechanical effect on progress.

As more points are earned, Alliance war capabilities gets higher. This is flavor stuff, to represent the effect you are having on the outcome. It lets you visually see the effects of your efforts. There are 5 levels of progress. As each level is reached, flavor-wise the Alliance gets more capable. More troops, better equipment, more ability to supply itself and the Rebellion, less estimated casualties.

In order to encourage players to take initiative and do their own things, there is also a percentage modifier. This modifier is increased or decreased by independent player events, and effects how much the above points are actually worth. The higher the percentage modifier, the less points are needed to get to the next level of success. This is a method of tracking stuff that happens outside the area of the main events, but that would still impact the story.

Last edited by Drustai on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 am

Thank you for that clarification, that helps a lot!

So, say I would be interested in organising some resource-related events in Pandaria (since part of this whole mess started because it is so gosh-darn fertile in resources) for both Oil (Krasarang), Food (Valley of the Four Wind) and probably Timber (also Krasarang), how would I go about doing that?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 am

Thelos wrote:Thank you for that clarification, that helps a lot!

So, say I would be interested in organising some resource-related events in Pandaria (since part of this whole mess started because it is so gosh-darn fertile in resources) for both Oil (Krasarang), Food (Valley of the Four Wind) and probably Timber (also Krasarang), how would I go about doing that?

For lumber/oil, which are part of the main events, I'll be arranging those myself. There are already plans to do a lumber event week in Krasarang, and an oil event week in Townlong. I intend on consolidating stuff to specific weeks in order to focus players on a single location.

Example Schedule:
June 30 through July 6 = Lumber mill at Krasarang
July 14 through July 20 = Oil drills at Townlong
Etc etc etc

These I will set up, because they're part of the main event arc and therefore times and locations have already been established.

Food and Valley of the Four Winds on the other hand are not part of the main event arc and so not on schedule. You can run your own event there on your own time, and this will boost the percentage because it's an independent "side" event.

Basically: lumber, oil, and gases are part of the main event arc and so these are events I will be setting up. Anything else, like extra food, you're free to set up yourself.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 am

I have to say.

This looks awesome. the logistics of war is so often overlooked, i love this.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:22 am

...Ambitious. This will be interesting to see unfold.

The only thing that bugs me is that building facilities as an RP activity sounds pretty dull. "/e hits a nail with a hammer" x200. Not very exciting.

Would player groups just be able to arrive in an area, "declare" a facility being build (/rw the Peasants hammer lots of nails!), so they can focus on doing fun stuff in the area?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:24 am

erwtenpeller wrote:...Ambitious. This will be interesting to see unfold.

The only thing that bugs me is that building facilities as an RP activity sounds pretty dull. "/e hits a nail with a hammer" x200. Not very exciting.

Would player groups just be able to arrive in an area, "declare" a facility being build (/rw the Peasants hammer lots of nails!), so they can focus on doing fun stuff in the area?

Heh, people keep missing this part:

Second, is mission scenarios. Mission scenarios are activities undertaken while players are working on the construction of a facility. For each day that the players are in the zone, they will roll for a random mission. Completing that mission will grant assets. Failing or doing no mission at all will, of course, award no assets. Each zone will have a different chart, representing local threats and treasures. This chart will include around 10 different scenarios for that zone.

The individual event threads will provide details on the mission scenarios for that particular zone. These are basically the kind of stuff we were doing in Jade Fist... securing extra mine sites, battling the Horde for control over magical relics, building BARRICADES, etc.

Last edited by Drustai on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 am

Drustai wrote:Heh, people keep missing this part
To be fair, there are a lot of parts to review What a Face

But alright. Cool. I wish the alliance lots of fun with this'un!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:41 am

Hmmm.... Wild Tempest is already at the front lines in areas that allow very little harvesting. I'll see what i can make out of this with my officer team. One possibility for us is to send our representatives to "Hey, we need this and this and this on the field, can you get it to us?".

Will have to think about it.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Inran/Skarain wrote:Hmmm.... Wild Tempest is already at the front lines in areas that allow very little harvesting. I'll see what i can make out of this with my officer team. One possibility for us is to send our representatives to "Hey, we need this and this and this on the field, can you get it to us?".

Will have to think about it.

What you guys are doing on the front lines will still count towards this (in the area of productivity).
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tachal Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks good. Only one question remains.

Do we want blue, red or green ending?
Tachal
Tachal

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Tachal Stormclaw wrote:Looks good. Only one question remains.

Do we want blue, red or green ending?

... Lol.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Red ending, please.
Spoiler:
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm

It's a pretty late for me to find this, but I only discovered this last week. Neat stuff. I love the detail and work put into it. Really, really nice. Had I known sooner.. I'd have taken steps to take part quicker.

What I like is the liberty to play within a framework, without being too rigid and restrictive about it.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Dare I ask, But as the horde forces are listen under the armies section, will Horde characters/guilds/champions be mentioned also?
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Perhaps Horde should do their own version?

I love you Kroggles, but that was such a "PLEASE MENTION ME!" comment!
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Grim wrote:Perhaps Horde should do their own version?

I love you Kroggles, but that was such a "PLEASE MENTION ME!" comment!

I like anonymity, not like i do anything now ;o
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm afraid this is cancelled due to not wanting to disturb the ongoing campaign.

This was what I was planning on running in case nothing else was going to go on, but as the current stuff in Kalimdor has become so widespread, I don't want to take attention away from that right now. Always better to let RP happen spontaneously than to force it, and the current campaign has been very spontaneous.

I may pick this up in a fashion once the Kalimdor events finish if 5.4 hasn't arrived by then.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:17 pm

It's a pity.. but I understand the reasoning. Even if it doesn't get used, perhaps this is a format we could use in the future? I just think it's nicely built.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, I'd like to use it, but I just don't want to pull people off of the current events right now.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down