Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kaldorei and the Old Gods

+4
Raelan
Coppersocket
Lexgrad
EShadowsong
8 posters

Go down

Kaldorei and the Old Gods Empty Kaldorei and the Old Gods

Post by EShadowsong Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm working on wrapping up a year and a half long RP arc I've setup for my character. It's going to have an ending that changes 10,000 years of my characters history. Part of the story has an interesting twist which I have been planning for six months that will neatly wrap upon basically everything that happened in the course of the past year and half.

We all know that Queen Azshara was in league with Sargeras and upon the destruction of the Well, fell into the oceans with Zin'Azshari and was transformed by the Old Gods into the naga. We also know the old gods have played a long history in Azeroth as they had the Qiraj. Part of the story I'm working on deals with my character's clan history having ties with worshiping the Old Gods. That maybe one to two thousand years before her birth, her clan was secretly being corrupted by the whispers of the old gods minions (sort of like an early interaction of the twilight hammer). I figure with all the magic abuse the Highborne were under, it wouldn't be too hard for a dark entity of the old gods to twist a group of Kaldorei but wanted to get some opinions.

TL;DR: Is it possible old gods tainted Kaldorei 12,000 years ago?

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Kaldorei and the Old Gods Empty Re: Kaldorei and the Old Gods

Post by Raene Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Ehhh. Whilst I've not got proper access to the internet at the moment to double check my sources, I'm going to say no.

If I remember right, it was the explosion of the Moonwell, the Sundering, that awoke the Old Gods from their imposed slumber. The only problem I remember with this, is that Neltharion (Read: Deathwing) was being corrupted by the Old Gods during the War of the Ancients, meaning that they were active before the Sundering.

Whilst I'm going to say no, I'm also forced to say yes. It's not a story I would pursue, but the lore is there to back you. (Deathwing was corrupted, as can some Kaldorei.) That being said, in the WCIII Manual, IIRC, Malfurion is around 13'000 years old, so that means Kaldorei as they exist now, were definetly around at the time.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Not quite what you're asking for, but even if you're going for Raene's first explanation it work:

While the Old Gods were slumbering, they seem to, as Raene pointed out, have corrupted Deathwing.

Still, going for the full thing might be a little premature, but perhaps you could claim, say, that at that time the clan as a whole would have a darker outlook on the world than they're sisters and brothers, that elves of the clan sometimes would get the feeling that something horrible was watching them, over their shoulders. Perhaps even that on rare occasion, select elves would hear things. Inaudible whispers carried with the wind, leaving them with a strange sense of something they needed to do, even if those things often would be in direct conflict with the words of the Priesthood.

With an approach like that, describing symptoms of old gods-influence rather than direct intervention prior to the Sundering, in any ways you see fit, you'd have a lot more leeway as an RPer. After the Sundering, the elves in question might perhaps take a turn to the worse, just like they might do during the war of the shifting sands.

Those are just thoughts however. Best of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

I slept on this last night, and remember that the reason Deathwing/Neltharion was corrupted by their whispers, was specifically because he was the Earth Warder. He slept so close to them under the planets Crust, that even despite their slumber, just the proximity was enough to send him mad.

Don't know if that will have an effect on your RP or not, but it's something to keep in mind.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

It might not be a stretch to suggest that druis sleeping in the dream could have been whispered by n'zoth. We do not know how long exactly he has been in there (or do we? either way it is an area corrution might have come from.)
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Lexgrad wrote:It might not be a stretch to suggest that druis sleeping in the dream could have been whispered by n'zoth. We do not know how long exactly he has been in there (or do we? either way it is an area corrution might have come from.)

I don't believe that Druids were in the dream prior to the War of the Ancients. They certainly were not sent in there to sleep at that point though.

I think I may end up changing in from the Old God worship to maybe the LoA. I just want there to be a dark past to her clan which will explain why her father and herself became targets by a rather sinister entity.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Elune is a old god. /thread
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Coppersocket wrote:Elune is a old god. /thread

According to Velen she's a Naruu

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

She is a naaru who was infected with the curse of flesh imo.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Lexgrad wrote:It might not be a stretch to suggest that druis sleeping in the dream could have been whispered by n'zoth. We do not know how long exactly he has been in there (or do we? either way it is an area corrution might have come from.)

Half true. Xavius was the man behind the Emerald Nightmare, but N'zoth was the man behind Xavius. The nightmare is contained within the Rift of Aln for now, but at no point was it hinted that the Emerald Dream was infested by the Old Ones until after the Sundering. Speculation and my own opinion says that the Rift of Aln is actually where the Well of Eternity was placed, and the reason why the Well was placed in such an area, was to act as a plug/barrier. Sure, the Old Gods were locked in their respective areas, but how did they get such powerful beings into these 'prisons'? My belief, is that the Well of Eternity was what kept them in their slumber, and then the 'Prisons' were built around them, rather than forcing them into pre-built prisons.

EShadowsong wrote:I don't believe that Druids were in the dream prior to the War of the Ancients. They certainly were not sent in there to sleep at that point though.

The Druids actually went into the Dream 3'000 years AFTER the Sundering. It's around this time that the Highborne created a storm over Ashenvale, thus leading to their exile and the creation of Quel'dorei as we know them, and the creation of Worgen and Druids of the Pack who were subdued and put to sleep for the next 7'000 years.

And where's this quote by Velen? I've heard it quoted numerous times but my google-fu is weak and I cannot find it.

As for choosing Loa instead of Old Gods? Sure, why not. Many believe that Elune is actually a Loa, and the ancestral Kaldorei were actually Trolls, worshipping the Loa Elune.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Raene wrote:And where's this quote by Velen? I've heard it quoted numerous times but my google-fu is weak and I cannot find it.

As for choosing Loa instead of Old Gods? Sure, why not. Many believe that Elune is actually a Loa, and the ancestral Kaldorei were actually Trolls, worshipping the Loa Elune.

Q: Is Elune a naaru?
A: During a recent visit to Darnassus by Velen, he explained that the kaldorei's description of Elune, as well as the demonstrated powers of the goddess, matched his experiences with powerful naaru. He began to offer advice regarding how to commune with powerful naaru, but Tyrande thanked him for his opinion, then cordially requested that he refrain from making such outlandish claims when in Darnassus or in the presence of Elune's priesthood.

From Ask CDev Round II.

Yeah, LoA could work, I just need her clan to have roots in darkness. A former servant of Y'Shaarj sets his sights upon her father (and eventually Eliza) as a way to gain power and access to Azeroth. He was banished to a shadow realm after the death of his master.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

And when the outrage around that quote burst forth, same Devs were quick to say something alike Velen could be wrong or misinterpreting things.

Like you said, -According to Velen-.

Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Tbh, a lot of that rage was of the nature:
"OMG YOU ARE SO BORING? ARE THERE ONLY NAARU AND TITANS THAT ARE GOD LIKE BEINGS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Old Gods are beings local to Azeroth that infect and plague Azeroth. = Evil

Naaru are beings local to the Great Dark, bringing love, peace, prosperity and stuff = Good.

Titans beat demons and chaos, bring order and life = Good.

Legion brings chaos, flames, death and decay = Bad.

We've already got 4 categories of god like beings, as well as their own armies and what not. I would prefer it so much if Elune and all the other Demi-Gods fit into one of these categories, rather than being that Night Elf/Tauren specific bunch of gods that nobody but them recognises.

Even if they were to say that the animal Demi-Gods were designed fleshy beings created by the Titans to spread seeds or whatever, maybe even as companions to the Earthen who suffered from the Curse of the Flesh, then I wouldn't mind, just so long as they weren't a faction specific bunch of gods.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Raene wrote:Old Gods are beings local to Azeroth that infect and plague Azeroth. = Evil

Naaru are beings local to the Great Dark, bringing love, peace, prosperity and stuff = Good.

Titans beat demons and chaos, bring order and life = Good.

Legion brings chaos, flames, death and decay = Bad.

We've already got 4 categories of god like beings, as well as their own armies and what not. I would prefer it so much if Elune and all the other Demi-Gods fit into one of these categories, rather than being that Night Elf/Tauren specific bunch of gods that nobody but them recognises.

Even if they were to say that the animal Demi-Gods were designed fleshy beings created by the Titans to spread seeds or whatever, maybe even as companions to the Earthen who suffered from the Curse of the Flesh, then I wouldn't mind, just so long as they weren't a faction specific bunch of gods.

No.

Just no.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Go on...? Why no?
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cemdor Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 pm

When I first read that "Elune might be a Naaru." thing, I thought it was awesome.

It doesn't make sense for Night Elves to have a god specific to their race anyway. After all they're pretty much trolls without tusks.

Druidism is what defines the Night Elven culture (and nature). Not some God.
Cemdor
Cemdor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down