Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders

+5
Rmuffn
Drustai
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Nessra Sunwhisper
Celistra
9 posters

Go down

[H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders Empty [H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders

Post by Celistra Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 pm

*The following message has been sent to the leaders of all major horde organizations*

As of last night word reached me of a rogues faction of Death knight, possibly scourge loyal that are planning to make a large number of mana bombs, to use for the destruction of every major horde city.

No more is known at this time, other then the above, and that plans for mana bombs was recovered from a Death Knight.

*signed*
Celistra Silverstrike
Captain of Sin Belore
Councilor of War of Quel'thalas
Celistra
Celistra

Character sheet
Name: Celistra Silverstrike
Title: Captain of Sin Belore, Councilor of War of Silvermoon

Back to top Go down

[H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders Empty Re: [H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Vangrel Lanrise reads this and chuckles to himself before ripping it up and tossing it into the gutter.

"Stupid elves, stupid Horde. Next they will say we are the Scourge. We don't need any announcements from that one eyed mongrel, we will deal with our problems ourselves!"

He continues walking through Undercity babbling in gutterspeak to himself and consistently mentioning orcs.

Back to top Go down

[H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders Empty Re: [H] Mana Bomb Warning to horde leaders

Post by Nessra Sunwhisper Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 am

((I realize it's just a rumor, thus might not even be true IC, but to whoever is doing this... I'm curious how death knights can create mana bombs?))
Nessra Sunwhisper
Nessra Sunwhisper

Character sheet
Name: Nessra Sunwhisper
Title: Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 am

Nessra/Veleisa wrote:((I realize it's just a rumor, thus might not even be true IC, but to whoever is doing this... I'm curious how death knights can create mana bombs?))

Just like anyone else? You don't need super fancy dragon stuff to make ordinary mana bombs.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessra Sunwhisper Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 am

Arcane bombs can be made by engineers, but don't mana bombs require a load of mages? That's how I've understood it at least.
Nessra Sunwhisper
Nessra Sunwhisper

Character sheet
Name: Nessra Sunwhisper
Title: Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 am

It matters how strong you want it to be I suppose.

Nevertheless, the Scourge (And other Undead factions) also have mages and the similar. To put an example, it's not like the Death Knights' runes appear out of nowhere. Spell casters aren't exclusive to the Horde and Alliance. Wink
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 am

Nessra/Veleisa wrote:Arcane bombs can be made by engineers, but don't mana bombs require a load of mages? That's how I've understood it at least.

((Some death knights could have been mages in life, or pursue magical study in their undeath. Becoming a death knight does not erase one's former memories, nor does it prevent them from studying/practicing arcane magic in their unliving state. And if all else fails, nothing stopping them from hiring/enslaving some mages to make some bombs for them.

It's also possible that a death knight could learn to empower a mana bomb solely with rune magic. Death knights are runecasters, afterall, they are not simple mundane warriors.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:41 am

((Still. The Focusing iris? Isn't that the key to make a mana bomb strong enough to level a city? I don't think those grow on trees.))
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 am

Erahn wrote:((Still. The Focusing iris? Isn't that the key to make a mana bomb strong enough to level a city? I don't think those grow on trees.))

((Mana bombs are Thalassian Tech that's been around for a while. The difference is, as far as I interpret the data, that an arcane bomb (by engineers) does both physical and magical damage while the Mana bomb in The Burning Crusade strictly did magical damage (disrupt/mana burn?). I'm not convinced the aoe of the TBC bombs are much smaller than the Theramore bomb. Whatever physical damage was done to Theramore could be because of the Focusing Iris (maybe it focuses something in the process) or it reacted badly with magical things lying around (hidden allliance superweapons?!).

Note: I'm not a magical nuclear engineer with a specialty in bombs.))

Last edited by Kristeas Sunbinder on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Celistra Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:55 am

Erahn wrote:((Still. The Focusing iris? Isn't that the key to make a mana bomb strong enough to level a city? I don't think those grow on trees.))

(As I understood what I was told was that it was gonna be many of them not one, I guess Loads of small ones can match a big one?)

(PS, Thanks Kris for figuring out Celi's specialty Razz )
Celistra
Celistra

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 am

There are a group of death knights on the horde faction that want to kill everyone as well?! We need to pen pals!
Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 am

Delidah needs to have a chat with these chaps.

(( Can't reply IC because Delidah isn't a leader of anything. Boo! ))
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Drustai wrote:
Nessra/Veleisa wrote:Arcane bombs can be made by engineers, but don't mana bombs require a load of mages? That's how I've understood it at least.

((Some death knights could have been mages in life, or pursue magical study in their undeath. Becoming a death knight does not erase one's former memories, nor does it prevent them from studying/practicing arcane magic in their unliving state. And if all else fails, nothing stopping them from hiring/enslaving some mages to make some bombs for them.

It's also possible that a death knight could learn to empower a mana bomb solely with rune magic. Death knights are runecasters, afterall, they are not simple mundane warriors.
(( Could I see sources for the first part? I could have sworn becoming a Death Knight will prevent you from using the arcane. ))
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Vaell wrote:
Drustai wrote:

(( Could I see sources for the first part? I could have sworn becoming a Death Knight will prevent you from using the arcane. ))

It's not needed to provide sources for it, it's simple logic. The Forsaken have mages as an example, why wouldn't Death Knights be able to channel the arcane? If anything I think people with experience within said field would be even more common among the Death Knights. Instead you should provide sources claiming that Death Knights can't use it.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:38 pm

(( Well, the Forsaken are different to DKs in the sense that the Death Knight seems to have been chosen specifically for that role, where as the Forsaken were just mass ressed. That being said, Death Knights seem to be melee (it's in the name) Knights, therefore suggesting that they have some previous skills in close combat. Unusual for a mage. Hence why I'd like to see a source Wink

EDIT: Did you just say 'common sense' when referring to undead people wielding magic...?))
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:08 pm

There's nothing stating that you had to be a melee fighter in life in order to be raised, you just had to be strong really. And even then they'd be able to learn it after being raised if they wished so, just like anyone else. Being undead doesn't cut you off from the Arcane.

The reason why I said it's likely more common for Death Knights to wield the Arcane is that they've plenty of spell casters around to teach them. Most try to become as powerful as possible, so it wouldn't surprise me if a large part of the older Death Knights are also spell casters. Have a look around at the Ebon Hold. And runes don't appear out of nowhere.

I said 'simple logic' because there's not anything stating that they're cut off from the arcane to be found in the lore, and as long as there isn't there will always be the possibility of having many Mages around.

Blizzard doesn't write stuff to confirm that birds can indeed fly.

Did you just say 'common sense' when referring to undead people wielding magic...?))
Please do quote wherever I typed that.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Celistra Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 pm

(also at no point was it stated that non DKs are not involved, also this is not my plot, Don't know more about it OOC then I do IC)
Celistra
Celistra

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Cenalia/Gor'Thrak wrote:There's nothing stating that you had to be a melee fighter in life in order to be raised, you just had to be strong really. And even then they'd be able to learn it after being raised if they wished so, just like anyone else. Being undead doesn't cut you off from the Arcane.

The reason why I said it's likely more common for Death Knights to wield the Arcane is that they've plenty of spell casters around to teach them. Most try to become as powerful as possible, so it wouldn't surprise me if a large part of the older Death Knights are also spell casters. Have a look around at the Ebon Hold. And runes don't appear out of nowhere.
But this is all an assumption, I've asked for sources. I'm not going to play a guessing game. To my knowledge, I haven't seen a single fully spellcasting DK other than the use of necromancy. For this reason, I'm going to question if it is possible.

Blizzard doesn't write stuff to confirm that birds can indeed fly.
Did you just say 'common sense' when referring to undead people wielding magic...?))
Please do quote wherever I typed that.[/quote]
Ok, "simple logic" it was just as bad a term when referring to a complex piece of lore. You're comparing a bird flying, something everyone is familiar with, to a piece of lore which is completely assumed based on small sources of information you've acquired. It was just a very odd use of the term. WoW is very illogical at times. In fact, it defies most things we should consider logical.
EDIT: Which isn't to say you can't be logical when it comes to WoW lore but instead, unless you know every nook and cranny, it isn't an easy piece of lore to follow.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 pm

A better question to ask is: Why would they not be able to channel the arcane?
Until anyone can answer that question then there's nothing at all to deny Death Knights from casting the arcane. Heck, they can even channel the Holy Light.

I haven't seen a single fully spellcasting DK other than the use of necromancy.
Necromancy comes from the arcane, and so does Frost magic which they also channel. It is another form of the arcane, rather.

There's little difference between Death Knights and the regular Undead, and the main difference largely is about their runeblades. When those runeblades have as much to do with the arcane as they do then I can't possibly see why they would ever be unable to channel it.

Well, I think we've gone quite a bit off topic. I suggest that a new topic is made if you want to discuss the matter further.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Vaell wrote:
Drustai wrote:

(( Could I see sources for the first part? I could have sworn becoming a Death Knight will prevent you from using the arcane.

((Provide a source that suggests they can't, Vaell. Seeing as death knights are, you know, magic warriors, and that rune magic is another form of arcane magic. ("Empowering a rune means flooding it with arcane power, and the process is nearly identical to casting a spell." - More Magic and Mayhem)

But if you really want a source that says they can... blood elf death knights can still use Arcane Torrent. Lady Blaumeux and Marduk Blackpool cast Shadow Bolt, Thane Korth'azz uses fire spells (Meteor), Alexei Barov casts Immolate. Also, consider that DKs have several spells that don't use runes, nor runic power. How do you think they cast those? If you said "Magic!", then you'd be right. You say they only use Necromancy... well yeah, they do. Necromancy is a school of arcane magic. They also use frost magic, which would be, you know, Evocation or Conjuration (hint: those are also schools of arcane magic).

Stop derailing threads with stupid questions, Vaell.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Can everything starting from Nessra's post be moved into it's own Lore thread incl. my question and a link dropped into the opening post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Vangrel Lansire wrote:Can everything starting from Nessra's post be moved into it's own Lore thread incl. my question and a link dropped into the opening post.

((Yeah, what was meant to be my post followed by a lore confirmation became several unnecessary posts! It was never intended to derail the thread. It wasn't a stupid question, WoW lore has contradicted itself previously (time travelling!) and game mechanics sometimes nullify previous lore. From my perspective, I thought a DK would be limited to the schools retaught to them - empowered only by the sword in their ability to harnass that magic. Alas, I am stupid for not knowing a piece of fictional lore Sad ))
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down