Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12)

+14
Krogon Devilstep
Kristeas Sunbinder
Gesh
Muzjhath
Khendran
Odgan / Keag
Samian/Bismack
Lini
Drustai
Skarain
Melnerag
Lexgrad
Raenmar
Moglim
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12) Empty Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12)

Post by Moglim Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:45 pm

After a good deal of consideration I’ve begun portray an idea of mine, and after some time doing just that it started to get really fun and interesting. Now, before I can do continue developing this there are some things that we - the community - need to come to terms with, and that is namely: Borders, jurisdictions and resources given in lore, and additions that could be widely accepted by the community. This is to determine which regions fall under respective Kingdom laws.

The project is a detailed map over the Eastern Kingdom that I believe will make for interesting and great political and general roleplay. It will also determine the set of resources within a given region, and could be set for that specific region to starve or experience wealth and prosperity. This would also encourage trade, and it would make it possible to make and shape history over time. Borders are also important to claim sovereignty, and any decision-making and/or legislative body would want to know who they can tax! Further, this would also be a way for any roleplayer to keep track of what is going on in the Eastern Kingdoms at present.

I'd also want to limit what can be put into this project so that it doesn’t get overwhelming. However, what I can do is: Trade routes on sea(perhaps even land), a set of actively used resources within each region(let's keep that to reasonable amount), military locations, navy locations, house and clan residence(if a single guild is built around that concept). However, I am open to suggestions, but try to come with suggestions that would apply to everyone within the community, and not solely on your own roleplaying concept. The idea is to make updates once a week, or every other week, given that representatives from each region give me frequent updates on the IC situation.

Please keep in mind that this is a project for the community, and that is why there needs to be a discussion around the concept of borders and regions, and appoint widely respected representatives to manage the updates. We need to come to terms with how this is going to work.

Map 20-12-12:
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img829/2936/easternkingdoms3.jpg

- Pieces that represent Gnomeregan, Orgrimmar and Second Gurubashi Empire have been added.
- Stranglethorn has been colored in favor of SGE.
- Searing Gorge now fall within Khaz Modan borders due to Morias place in the Council of Three Hammers.

- Resources owned by Kingdoms have representative border colors.
- Collective resoures are now marked by grey broders. The procentage shows the amount of that specific resource.
- Menethil Harbour now fish the surrounding sea.
- Kharanos and Thelsamar breweries have been added.
- Resource and producitvity i set to 100% by default.
- Resources owned by citizens(depending on guild concept) could be marked in separate colors(should that be neccessary). Given that these citizens have ownership rights.
- Kingom colors have been enhanced.

- Neutral locations are no longer marked, except for AD and the Ebon Hold.
- Some areas are no longer marked by conflict, as these areas do not neccessarily engage i continuous conflict.

Map 19-12-12:
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img812/8901/easternkingdoms2.jpg

Map 18-12-12:
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img203/9885/easternkingdoms.jpg

Last edited by Moglim on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 7 times in total
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet
Name: Kilgan Stonehearth
Title: Thane

Back to top Go down

Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12) Empty Re: Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12)

Post by Guest Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:50 pm

I think that if you do decide to bring in any changes, make them all completely temporary.

For example: Stromgarde falls to the Forsaken, alliance eventually get it back.

This can work, but as you have said it will require an insane amount of inter-guild co-operation, and probably drama and disagreements as per everything that involves either faction.

Back to top Go down

Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12) Empty Re: Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12)

Post by Raenmar Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Seems like a great idea. It won't be easy to keep updated, but if a representative of each kingdom updates their own kingdom's information, it could work.

As Eph said, guilds would need to work together, but that can only be a good thing.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Goodwyn wrote:I think that if you do decide to bring in any changes, make them all completely temporary.

For example: Stromgarde falls to the Forsaken, alliance eventually get it back.

This can work, but as you have said it will require an insane amount of inter-guild co-operation, and probably drama and disagreements as per everything that involves either faction.

I do agree to all that you are suggesting.

If there was to be an invasion, the map might turn purple for a week or two, and then fend the forsaken of leaving the region war-torn and low on resources.

However, if guilds that act out in the Eastern Kingdoms really want to cooporate I do believe they will find a way.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Raenmar wrote:Seems like a great idea. It won't be easy to keep updated, but if a representative of each kingdom updates their own kingdom's information, it could work.

As Eph said, guilds would need to work together, but that can only be a good thing.

That depends entirely if they want to keep it updated. It might just stay the way it is for long periods of time. The hard part might just be, as Eph explained, to come to terms with what and where.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:22 pm

You forgot about the ebon blade racist! That and Menethil harbour is not dwarven :p

Other than that I love the idea, getting everyone on board will be the challange.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Fantastic work!

I think Dwarves also control (parts of) Blackrock Mountain due to Dark Iron Empress being on the Council of Three Hammers.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:50 pm

This have been done before, although in a smaller scale. As the people said above, it would require coordination, but visualizing area control can't be a bad thing.

I like maps Smile

Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Lexgrad wrote:You forgot about the ebon blade racist! That and Menethil harbour is not dwarven :p

Other than that I love the idea, getting everyone on board will be the challange.

I might just have to add that then!

Menethil Harbour might not be entirely dwarven, but wouldn't it be fair to say it falls under dwarven jurisdiction and law? By no means do borders entail that anything that falls inbetween them is owned by the nationstate.

Melnerag wrote:Fantastic work!

I think Dwarves also control (parts of) Blackrock Mountain due to Dark Iron Empress being on the Council of Three Hammers.

I thought that too, but considering the Dark Iron are still hostile? Many questions that need answering!
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:00 pm

I love this idea.

Question though, will this go down to the micro level of individual subsections IE baronies? Or will it just focus on the kingdom level?

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 pm

My suggestion would first to get things rolling in general before going to micro level.

Start simple, expand to epicness.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Skarain wrote:This have been done before, although in a smaller scale. As the people said above, it would require coordination, but visualizing area control can't be a bad thing.

I like maps Smile

Perhaps someone could make regional maps too! Yay, maps!

Drustai wrote:I love this idea.

Question though, will this go down to the micro level of individual subsections IE baronies? Or will it just focus on the kingdom level?

I thought about that too, but that will probably be hard to manage given the scale of the map. I do think we should stick to the Kingdom level, I could however make individual banners for the different baronies, and where they reside. I need to manage everything else first though.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 am

This seems like a neat idea. Especially if we can make it work.

However, that map still has some inaccuracies but I suppose that's because it's WIP and only meant to showcase what the general idea is.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Samian/Bismack Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 am

This looks awsome, love the mining/fishing etc nodes.
Samian/Bismack
Samian/Bismack

Back to top Go down

Post by Odgan / Keag Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 am

I love the idea, would be most awesome if it works out.

And about Blackrock Mountain, according to wowpedia, the Dark Irons in Shadowforge are somewhat under Moira her control, Alliance members entering the city better still be armed through, for possible hostile reactions if they meet the wrong Dwarves. But Twilight's Hammer is also active around the Searing Gorge, when you look at the updated Cata qeusts around there.
Odgan / Keag
Odgan / Keag

Character sheet
Name: Ildranor Strongbrew
Title: Mountaineer-Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Lini wrote:This seems like a neat idea. Especially if we can make it work.
However, that map still has some inaccuracies but I suppose that's because it's WIP and only meant to showcase what the general idea is.

I am aware of that, and I'm glad a number of people have commented on these inaccuracies. I will have that sorted when I realize the project.

If someone would want to do a thorough review of the current map and add a list of things that would have to be sorted due to lore, that would be very helpful.

However, I would still need representatives that give me more information about the Kingdoms where they reside ICly.

Samian/Bismack wrote:This looks awsome, love the mining/fishing etc nodes.
Glad you like it!

Perhaps it would lessen the burden to only add -actively- used resources, and resources that aren't used can appear over time.

The goods can range from cheese, to wine and pretty much anything that can be bought, sold or gained.

Ildranor / Odgan wrote:I love the idea, would be most awesome if it works out.

And about Blackrock Mountain, according to wowpedia, the Dark Irons in Shadowforge are somewhat under Moira her control, Alliance members entering the city better still be armed through, for possible hostile reactions if they meet the wrong Dwarves. But Twilight's Hammer is also active around the Searing Gorge, when you look at the updated Cata qeusts around there.
So would it be appropriate to make borders around parts of Searing Gorge, with the exception for where the Twilight's Hammer is active?

I think zones that are torn by cult, orcs, ghosts, gnolls, and whanot can be managed to some extent, and hence fall under Kingdom law. However, zones that are inhabited by both horde and alliance should be more war-torn, and destabilized. Badlands would match that description.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Moglim wrote:
If someone would want to do a thorough review of the current map and add a list of things that would have to be sorted due to lore, that would be very helpful.
Without taking into account any possible changes due to server lore, I can think of the following:

-Plaguewood Tower should belong to Argent Crusade

-The quest progression for both factions has Alliance lose control of their half of Andorhal. The city should probably be entirely Forsaken.

-Hillsbrad needs a look at but someone more familiar with the zone should probably comment on it as well. But as far as I'm aware, Strahnbrad is under Horde control, Stormpikes control the foothills near Alterac and Gilneans control that island to the southwest.

-The Hinterlands should have Aerie Peak for Wildhammer Dwarves (or just dwarves in general as they're being represnted on this map) and Quel'Danil Lodge should be under Alliance control as well (Stormwind blue would probably be the suitable color). Depending on the accuracy of the map, Stormfeather Post could be colored as well. For same reasons Forsaken should get Hiri'watha Research Station. And of course Revantusk Village should be marked for Trolls.

-Arathi Highlands lacks Horde markings. Hammerfall is an obvious Orc presence and Galen's Fall should probably be marked for the Forsaken.

-Angerfang Encampment in Wetlands is Dragonmaw Clan settlement, isn't it? As such it probably shouldn't be marked for the Dwarves, or maybe it should be even marked for Orcs.

-I'm a bit unfamiliar with the Horde side of things in Twilight Highlands, but The Krazzworks for Goblins and Dragonmaw Port for Orcs are fairly obvious ones. The flight path locations for both factions should be considered for markings as well.

-Gnomeregan and its surroundings belong to the Gnomes nowadays and the map should reflect it.

-Thorioum Brotherhood in Searing Gorge is a neutral faction and probably shouldn't be included in the general Dwarf area of influence.

-The Badlands is a tricky one. Neutral Goblins probably deserve their own faction markings. Fuselight and Fuselight-by-the-sea are obvious choices for them. Horde should get New Kargath for Orcs and Bloodwatcher Point for Reliquary/Blood Elves. Dragon's Mouth is a notable Alliance camp in the zone as well.

-Burning Steppes has Chiselgrip for Thorium Brotherhood. Horde presence is limited to Flame Crest and Alliance has Morgan's Vigil.

-No comments on Stormwind zones. The borders might need some fine tuning but I'm not sure.

-The Harborage in the Swamp of Sorrows should fall under Exodar. Neutral goblins control at least Bogpaddle and Sorrowmurk. The Horde presence in the zone is a bit problematic as at least the Alliance quest progression in the zone has Stonard fall. I'm not sure how Horde quests depict the events.

-Blasted Lands has Nethergarde Keep for Stormwind and Surwich Gilneas. Orcs control Dreadmaul Hold and Blood Elves Sunveil Excursion.

-Stranglethorn Vale, Stranglethorn Vale, Stranglethorn Vale...Obvious ones would be Booty Bay for neutral goblins, Rebel Camp and Fort Livingston for Stormwind, Explorer's League Digsite for Ironforge, Grom'Gol for Orcs, Bambala for...Trolls, I guess and Hardwrench Hideaway for Goblins. How exactly these areas project their spheres of influence is another matter.

-Oh, and I'm not touching Gilneas even with a ten foot pole.

That should about cover it.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Gilneas will be problematic.

But at least now that the 7th Legion have moved to Pandaria, "hurr 7th Legion are defending the wall" will be an invalid argument when I try to make the point that GILNEAS IS A FUCKING WARZONE.

I'd say that, right now, it's a Forsaken-controlled zone.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Raenmar wrote:Gilneas will be problematic.

But at least now that the 7th Legion have moved to Pandaria, "hurr 7th Legion are defending the wall" will be an invalid argument when I try to make the point that GILNEAS IS A FUCKING WARZONE.

Until the lore said's otherwise, it is not a Forsaken controlled zone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Until the lore said's otherwise, it is not a Forsaken controlled zone.

Until the lore says otherwise, there's no king fucking regent of Gilneas.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Lini wrote:
As should Stratholme, Tyr's Hand (both cleansed at the end of their respective questchains), the lumber camp in Western Plaguelands near Hearthglen, the name escapes me at the moment, and to some extent the Mender's Stead, which is shared with the Cenarion Circle.
Lini wrote:
-Hillsbrad needs a look at but someone more familiar with the zone should probably comment on it as well. But as far as I'm aware, Strahnbrad is under Horde control, Stormpikes control the foothills near Alterac and Gilneans control that island to the southwest.
The Forsaken take control of the zone after the quests there.

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Samian/Bismack Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Gilneas is in conflict. There's nothing more to it.
Samian/Bismack
Samian/Bismack

Back to top Go down

Post by Moglim Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Thank you for your input!

Done.

-The quest progression for both factions has Alliance lose control of their half of Andorhal. The city should probably be entirely Forsaken.
But alliance still resides there?

Done.

-The Hinterlands should have Aerie Peak for Wildhammer Dwarves (or just dwarves in general as they're being represnted on this map)
I am not sure about the relationship between Kurdran and Falstad, and that is why I didn't mark it.
and Quel'Danil Lodge should be under Alliance control as well (Stormwind blue would probably be the suitable color). Depending on the accuracy of the map, Stormfeather Post could be colored as well. For same reasons Forsaken should get Hiri'watha Research Station. And of course Revantusk Village should be marked for Trolls.
Done.

-Arathi Highlands lacks Horde markings. Hammerfall is an obvious Orc presence and Galen's Fall should probably be marked for the Forsaken.
Done.

-Angerfang Encampment in Wetlands is Dragonmaw Clan settlement, isn't it? As such it probably shouldn't be marked for the Dwarves, or maybe it should be even marked for Orcs.
I was given a suggestion about these areas of conflict. Either we draw borders to exclude them, or draw out areas of conflict within the borders of the Kingdom, or we do not add them to the map at all.

-I'm a bit unfamiliar with the Horde side of things in Twilight Highlands, but The Krazzworks for Goblins and Dragonmaw Port for Orcs are fairly obvious ones. The flight path locations for both factions should be considered for markings as well.
Small base camps consisting of a few questgivers and a flight master is something that I consider not adding to the map, that would just end up in a few dots here and there. Perhaps I probably should add them. Dragonmaw village and the port is something that I do think we should add.

-Gnomeregan and its surroundings belong to the Gnomes nowadays and the map should reflect it.
Yes. Done.

-Thorioum Brotherhood in Searing Gorge is a neutral faction and probably shouldn't be included in the general Dwarf area of influence.
You're right. Done.

-The Badlands is a tricky one. Neutral Goblins probably deserve their own faction markings. Fuselight and Fuselight-by-the-sea are obvious choices for them. Horde should get New Kargath for Orcs and Bloodwatcher Point for Reliquary/Blood Elves. Dragon's Mouth is a notable Alliance camp in the zone as well.
Yes. Done.

-Burning Steppes has Chiselgrip for Thorium Brotherhood. Horde presence is limited to Flame Crest and Alliance has Morgan's Vigil.
I'll add that to the zone later.

-The Harborage in the Swamp of Sorrows should fall under Exodar. Neutral goblins control at least Bogpaddle and Sorrowmurk. The Horde presence in the zone is a bit problematic as at least the Alliance quest progression in the zone has Stonard fall. I'm not sure how Horde quests depict the events.
Same problem as with Androhal. I am not sure how we should settle that.

-Blasted Lands has Nethergarde Keep for Stormwind and Surwich Gilneas. Orcs control Dreadmaul Hold and Blood Elves Sunveil Excursion.
Done.

-Stranglethorn Vale, Stranglethorn Vale, Stranglethorn Vale...Obvious ones would be Booty Bay for neutral goblins, Rebel Camp and Fort Livingston for Stormwind, Explorer's League Digsite for Ironforge, Grom'Gol for Orcs, Bambala for...Trolls, I guess and Hardwrench Hideaway for Goblins. How exactly these areas project their spheres of influence is another matter.
I'll leave that zone be for now.
Moglim
Moglim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Samian/Bismack Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Also why not just go with:
Mapping out the Eastern Kingdoms (Updated 20-12-12) Darfur_chad_car_2_416

Stripes through zones that are in conflict? For example you color the whole of gilneas and then put purple stripes through it to indicate it is at war with the forsaken
Samian/Bismack
Samian/Bismack

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Raenmar wrote:Gilneas will be problematic.

Gilneas is held by the Alliance according to all the ending stages of in-game quests (end of Silverpine quests shows Alliance soldiers patrolling it, Wrathion quests shows an Alliance unit holding Gilneas City, and Battle of Gilneas always starts with Alliance defending and Forsaken invading). However it is not a "safe" zone, it's definitely still contested and should be treated as a warzone. It's a place where no one but the military would want to be considering the constant clashes at the northern front and the Forsaken fleet blockading the coast.

Oh, and Samian's idea is a good one.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next