Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cross-Realm Area Feature

+13
Cid
Gogol
Magaskawee/Anaei
Kettin
Daralinn
Coppersocket
Krogon Devilstep
Raenmar
Catari
Frostfeather
Saevir
Rmuffn
Skaraa
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cross-Realm Area Feature - Page 2 Empty Re: Cross-Realm Area Feature

Post by Guest Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Does server lore even matter that much? I struggle to come up with anything all that important in it, and if it comes up while cross-realm RPing, a few explaining sentences, and an OOC whisper would most likely sort it out just fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 am

Dwyburn wrote:Does server lore even matter that much? I struggle to come up with anything all that important in it, and if it comes up while cross-realm RPing, a few explaining sentences, and an OOC whisper would most likely sort it out just fine.

It matters for the purpose of community initiatives. Consider something like the Stormwind Council. Because it's mainly based in a capital, direct interaction is limited to a single server, but the influence on events and people outside of the capital is there, even if it isn't always obvious. Are the other servers to avoid creating their own councils? Whose version of reality is the real one in cross-server RP when something gets brought up that happens to involve the council(s) somehow for one or more people? It might not sound like a big deal to sort such a case out, but I expect it will quickly become tedious to do reality revision control on every single cross-server interaction if the people involved want to pretend that their characters have histories extending beyond the point where their characters met.

That's why this is, from an RP standpoint, such a crappy solution compared to just merging the servers outright and implementing anti-crowding phasing with some control over which phase you get stuck in (so the community could go "we all go to the highest-numbered phase for RP" or something like that)
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm

I think that the server lore issues could be revised and sorted out by any -serious- RPers who want to take advantage of this feature. Lets face it; do we want to RP with people who don't take it seriously and lol around anyway?

If the servers who are joining together (i.e. This one and the other RP-PvP realms that it gets linked to) get in contact with one another and lay out some ground rules of (for instance) try to avoid mention of server lore when RPing with another of a diff server or (for instance) unite the alternative server lores where possible (acknowledgement of existence of guilds and so forth). Then I think it can be dealt with, maturely and appropriately, by those who -want- to take advantage of the feature. Those who do -not- want to take advantage of it, do not need to RP with people from different servers.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Saevir wrote:
It matters for the purpose of community initiatives. Consider something like the Stormwind Council. Because it's mainly based in a capital, direct interaction is limited to a single server, but the influence on events and people outside of the capital is there, even if it isn't always obvious. Are the other servers to avoid creating their own councils? Whose version of reality is the real one in cross-server RP when something gets brought up that happens to involve the council(s) somehow for one or more people? It might not sound like a big deal to sort such a case out, but I expect it will quickly become tedious to do reality revision control on every single cross-server interaction if the people involved want to pretend that their characters have histories extending beyond the point where their characters met.

That's why this is, from an RP standpoint, such a crappy solution compared to just merging the servers outright and implementing anti-crowding phasing with some control over which phase you get stuck in (so the community could go "we all go to the highest-numbered phase for RP" or something like that)

This is the solution we're being given, so that's what we have to work with.
And look at your reply there once more, what you're saying is just that powerplay will be limited in the outskirts, just as server laws will. And you know, that isn't a bad thing. It means nobody can claim ultimate authority, and we'll be forced to work together. The merging plotlines of different servers will just make the world of warcraft seem more like it should, you know, by us never knowing everything going on. By us from time to time bumping into military/political/ecomical/criminal groups we've never heard of before, perhaps helping them out with plots we previously were unaware of.

Chaotic? Yes, but that's the charm of it. If embraced by the players, this feature will contribute to a less static, more fantastic RP enviroment, all around the RP-PvP servers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Wed May 16, 2012 2:51 pm

^
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 16, 2012 2:56 pm

That's a really good point Dwyburn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 am

My first reaction to this is that it will save the day.
More rp'ers equals more rp. It will do glorious things to the fleshed out numbers. And I dont think the server lore necessarily have to be threatened, unless drastic things has been made like declaring yourself the head of a house that is in the WoW lore already, say we had a Girloy Dragonreaver; that would look extremely bad to other servers and probably laughed at/declared lol-rp.

Now I'm sure this will give quite the swing to the IF Senate and many other things! Good times, good times
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Catari wrote:If Blizz dont make it so only the rp realms share this, i'll see alot more trolling of rp incoming, and people we cant even report, since they are on a non-rp realm.

This will happen because Blizzard are too incompetent to LISTEN to the gamers.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu May 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Except that they've already specifically said that realms will only be paired with the same realm type.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Thu May 17, 2012 10:44 pm

I think it sounds good, in regard to realms that are dead or dying getting some blood pumped back into their veins and such, but like Dwyburn said it's going to be the biggest shitstorm of our time.

Reputations will turn to dust, in the beginning. The Chapter will no longer be known as scary bad ass zealots, for there may be other people with a guild of the similar idea, and the same for Kingdom of Stromgarde. What if a server has a guild placed in Strom who aren't barbarian like? And even individual characters that are realm known for something or other, like Morinth being a notorious piratess; that won't apply anymore when we get new neighbours... All the conflicting things are really irritating to think about, up until it gets sorted out.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet
Name: Zalissa Sparrow
Title: The Pirate Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Isn't there only one other RP-PvP server? (Scarshield legion) They can't put us with general PvE servers so we'll mainly just get more OOCers.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Sporeggar Scarshield Venture Co (Ravenholdt?) and maybe another.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Fri May 18, 2012 7:15 am

Servers below are RP-PVP realms:
Defias Brotherhood
The Venture Co
Sporregar
Scarshield Legion
Ravenholdt

- As Perturbo just stated.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Fri May 18, 2012 7:43 am

Coppersocket wrote:Servers below are RP-PVP realms:
Defias Brotherhood
The Venture Co
Sporregar
Scarshield Legion
Ravenholdt

- As Perturbo just stated.

I guarantee you, Ravenholdt will just give you a load of OOCers and "I iz a dragon" RP.
I came from Ravenholdt, the sever died years ago.
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Well that's besides the point. Same thing can be said with Sporregar. These are the servers we will actively see in these areas.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa Sat May 19, 2012 12:22 am

The Venture Co's Horde side is pretty dead, though the Alliance side has at least two fair sized RP guilds left who actively RP. As well as a third much smaller RP guild which still RP's.
The quality varies, but TVC does not have any complete 'I iz dragon' n00bs, though it does have a small selection of very good RPers left.

I have heard the same bad things about Sporregar and Ravenholdt, though I know nothing about Scarshield Legion, as a matter of fact I have never even heard of that server before... lol

Anyway, I agree with everything Zalissa said - It will be really odd and annoying to begin with (server-lore wise) though things will iron out easily enough. Especially if we (the various servers) work together to get it running smoothly as quickly as possible.
Skaraa
Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sat May 19, 2012 12:39 am

Hell, we might even get a few migrants!
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat May 19, 2012 6:01 am

Wonder if I'll meet some people I know from my old server Sporeggar. I'm still against the cross-realm crap, but it would've been fun to meet a few of them again.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2