Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Druids and feral form RP ?

+13
Manathon
Swan Emperor Arenfel
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Ledgic
erwtenpeller
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Valerias
Rmuffn
Ralegh
Lexgrad
Nessra Sunwhisper
Morinth
Lucein
17 posters

Go down

Druids and feral form RP ? Empty Druids and feral form RP ?

Post by Lucein Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Well in short me and some freinds were on about the possibility of the topic at hand can druids respectfuly RP some of the time if not most of the time RP in feral forms and be able to pull it off well. So out of personal intest and on the intrest on behalf of some freinds of mine I thought I would just ask some questions about it to see if any one had any expreince on the topic or any opinions about it at all.

1. nice and simple one do you think it could be done well if you took the time to try and do it and get something good going with it ?

2. Already assumed this but it is correct in saying you could not talk due to the lack of correct vocal cords the feral form of choice?

3. I am guessing as well that if it was succesful to do that each druid would have a preferd form that they would be better with than others that they would shift into more than others ?

4. Could these druids take on thse forms for certian appointed jobs most of the time for random examples cat form for scouting, bear fros for acting as body guards for some reason maybe and flight form for delivering messages kind of thing ?

5. Would it be quite easy to nottice them as they are just in feral from for example some one thinking oh there is a druid in feral form instead of going beast wild beast in stormwind quick kill it and think about it later ! ?

6. Would it bewrong for the druid to have a prefrence to be in their chosen feral form rather than their nauteral form for example if they find them selfs to shy to talk and interact with most people on a social level for some odd reason like that ?

7. Last but not least would it on some level be tolirated of course nothing like going into a building in feral form ofcourse but maybe seeing a druid on a rare ocasion stroll down the street in their chosen form for some reason ?

Well thats is mor eor less the disscusion me and my freinds had about it and was pondering about realy if any one has any thing else they think they can add to the topic thats is useful by all means be my guest. tongue
Lucein
Lucein

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Druids and feral form RP ? Empty Re: Druids and feral form RP ?

Post by Morinth Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:08 pm

One of my friends likes to RP, but his English is bad and he doesn't feel comfortable having long conversations during RP because of it. So he RP's in feral cat form most of the time on his troll, getting by on emotes alone. :3 Normally sticking by my pirates side ready to rip up anyone who angers her.

Some people from on it, but if it gets him RP where he couldn't before, I'm happy with it.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessra Sunwhisper Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:36 pm

There's plenty of talk among roleplayers about ferals not being able to talk.
But if tauren and worgen can talk, why not bears or cats too? >.>
Even NPCs in Ghostwolf form can talk.

I'd say it's up to you whether your character has learned to control his form well enough to learn how to talk. I reckon it's not an easy task though.
Nessra Sunwhisper
Nessra Sunwhisper

Character sheet
Name: Nessra Sunwhisper
Title: Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:51 pm

My friend didn't talk in cat form. Only troll form, which he was rarely in. I've seen one druid who could talk in cat form, but she also claimed that ICly, her druid wasn't very powerful in that form. I didn't think she could have spoken in that case. XD
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Think somewere it is in a Q&A and it is a big no.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Nessra Sunbinder wrote:But if tauren and worgen can talk, why not bears or cats too? >.>
They are humanoids, there's kind of a difference, no?
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessra Sunwhisper Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Ghostwolves are not humanoids though, Why are they able to talk?
Nessra Sunwhisper
Nessra Sunwhisper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Nessra Sunbinder wrote:Ghostwolves are not humanoids though, Why are they able to talk?

It's not real wolf? I can't think of any real animal (no humanoid crossbreed horse, cow, fish, frog, whatever) who can actually talk.

However I've seen druids in form talk, or am fairly sure I have.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessra Sunwhisper Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Oh, I almost forgot about >THIS GUY<
The guy is (obviously) a newbie druid, and won't stop talking in any of the forms he shapeshifts into.
Nessra Sunwhisper
Nessra Sunwhisper

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 pm

In truth I don't have a problem with druids speaking in cat form as a rule. It may not be lore-correct, I've no idea, but it's a sight better (if done well) than druids wandering around acting like cats.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:39 pm

Ghost Wolves are spirit animals. They speak via subconscious methods. A Druid turning into an animal is a Druid turning into an animal, not a Druid turning into a special intelligent cat. They constantly fight to maintain control over their form or loose their minds to a feral-like state, never to be able to return to their former form. Most druids don't adopt all the forms you see in-game. That is purely a game mechanic. In lore Night Elves generally take the form of sabers and tauren take the forms of bears. The two forms reflect each races physical and mental attributes. As for storm-crows, any race can do that but still those are only druids of the talon and Malfurion who can. Realistically you'd have to stay out of Stormwind or any other city other than those of Tauren and Kal'dorei established ones. You visually look exactly the same as the form you shapeshift into. The only difference being horns or larger ears (for some reason). So if you walk the streets of Stormwind as a Saber you'd be killed by the guards if caught. As for the more personal questions those depend entirely on the character, such as if they prefer the form of an animal to their real form. For a Druid to learn to shapeshift they must spend countless years studying the animal they wish to 'adopt'. Live their lives so to speak. Then the ritual of transforming will give you the push to be able to do so. The knowledge you acquired during your many years of observation and practice will give you a starting hand in mastering the form, at first expect to have little control over it and to likely transform back into your humanoid form after a short space of time.

As to the discussion that has bloomed in this thread, no I don't agree with seeing druid roleplayers wandering the streets of Stormwind, speaking, walking into taverns and so on. Lore-wise they cannot speak, logically they'd be captured or killed on sight or people would run in fear of them. "Oh shit, a wild bob-cat got into the city! Sound the alarms! Protect the children!"
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:10 am

Indeed as said.

There's a reason why it's called

"Druid of ~~ ", due to them using one form only, one they master.
I personally, if I ever had a druid IC, would go purely on that, and not mix the forms too much.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:53 am

Nessra Sunbinder wrote:Oh, I almost forgot about >THIS GUY<
The guy is (obviously) a newbie druid, and won't stop talking in any of the forms he shapeshifts into.
Hahahaah yeah that quest was awesome <3
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:58 am

Rohwyn wrote:In truth I don't have a problem with druids speaking in cat form as a rule. It may not be lore-correct, I've no idea, but it's a sight better (if done well) than druids wandering around acting like cats.

I'd agree with this. Unfortunately, every single time I've witnessed druids speaking in their forms (cat form especially) it's just looked -so friggin' stupid-.

I've pretty much ignored the subject since the first time it was brought up, y'know, years ago now, but I think if I had to pick an answer, I'd definitely be saying no to speaking in forms.

Also, Zen'Kiki can talk in all forms to make him more hilarious/annoying depending on how you look at those quests :p
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:34 pm

nvm
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Delidah / Scuzy wrote:
Nessra Sunbinder wrote:Oh, I almost forgot about >THIS GUY<
Hahahaah yeah that quest was awesome <3

That's a parody quest, so I wouldn't really count it as canon. More of a hillarious fact... I mean, would you consider "Welcome to the Machine" as canon? Celestial Steeds and Kor'kron overlords riding Frostwyrms, are completely rational. *nod*

I always assumed that because of the difficulties that come with shifting form, there would be a multitude of other difficulties. Talking would be the least of your concerns, considering the fact that you've adopted an entirely different shape and the movements will feel incredibly awkward to somebody who's used to walking on two legs.

All that energy would likely be spent focusing on maintaining the form and/or getting the movements right, but that's just my opinion.

It's mentioned somewhere that Druids in shapeshift form can communicate to 'each other,' anybody able to confirm this?
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Manathon Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Mikhael wrote:
It's mentioned somewhere that Druids in shapeshift form can communicate to 'each other,' anybody able to confirm this?

Though they're now non-canon and all, this is mentioned in one of the RPG books:

"A druid loses his ability to speak while in animal form
(because he is limited to the sounds that a normal,
untrained animal can make), but he can communicate
normally with other animals of the same general grouping
as his new form."

So, two bird druids, two bear druids or two druids of whichever same form could pretty much chatter away all they want.

Also, there are some more serious druid NPCs in-game that talk in forms as well. Hamuul Runetotem, for example, shouts out quite some things while fighting in bear form.
Manathon
Manathon

Character sheet
Name: Manathon Oakshadow
Title: Druid with beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:55 pm

He is an Archdruid however. While that shows it may be possible I don't think anyone roleplaying should have their character be at a level or above the most powerful NPC Druids in game. At the end of the day interpret RPG books and in-game quests as you wish. If you can justify it then fine. Personally I don't like to see it. If I where a Druid in the form of an Animal I'd /whisper another Druid in the same form and either say they where communicating through the dream or in some feral/signal-like manner.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:00 pm

My druid's unable to speak in her cat form. \o/ More like snarling and roaring and... purring. (TROLL KITTY) I don't use her bear form or travel form ICly, but I'd probably use her flight form, though she wouldn't maintain it for long periods.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Manathon Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Helmfrid wrote:He is an Archdruid however. While that shows it may be possible I don't think anyone roleplaying should have their character be at a level or above the most powerful NPC Druids in game. At the end of the day interpret RPG books and in-game quests as you wish. If you can justify it then fine. Personally I don't like to see it. If I where a Druid in the form of an Animal I'd /whisper another Druid in the same form and either say they where communicating through the dream or in some feral/signal-like manner.

Thisalee Crow does it, the Druids of the Talon at Teldrassil do it, that one questgiver at the Barrow Dens in Ashenvale does it. I'm sure there are more.

But yes, it's pretty much a matter of "what you like best", I guess.

EDIT: After checking, I'm actually not sure if I can count Enslaved Druid of the Talon. They start talking as soon as you kill Ursal, and also instantly go bird form then.
Manathon
Manathon

Character sheet
Name: Manathon Oakshadow
Title: Druid with beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 pm

It comes down to Blizzard being derpohs about their lore. Mixed messages and all that. Keep a logical mind about it in the sense of the setting Warcraft is in and if you can explain yourself do it if you really must. Though this thread has become a debate on in Druid's can speak common/orcish in the form of an animal he did have many other questions. I tried to answer them all but if anyone has anything to correct/change/add please do.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Eowale Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:13 pm

When it comes to Druids and their forms, they should not be able to talk while in the form(s). At all. The vocal cords of animals are not built to be able to create the same sort of sounds that the humanoid races can. Also, the shape of the tongue/jaw is completely diffrent and when you think about it, humans use the tongue to.. let's call it 'shape the sound'. Doing that, we can manipulate the sound. For example, when you say a word with "ch" or "z" or just a normal "s", I bet you can notice your tongue working non-stop to shape it into something diffrent, while dogs use their tongue to sweat and drink water.
That's my opinion, atleast.
Eowale
Eowale

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharyssa/Adenah Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I personally never found it very logical myself to have druids speak in their forms, my druid doesn't. Don't think we can force some rp'ers to leave that behind if that's what they're comfortable with, there might be other means to communicate or magical means to be able to speak seeing how the whole universe has so many endless possibilities.

about only being able to take one form/ specialize in one form. Yes of course there's always one a druid would be most comfortable with or the like, but druid of the talon etc reffering to one form/group only one should keep in mind that the druids of the wild are the ones who learn all forms... no?
Sharyssa/Adenah
Sharyssa/Adenah

Character sheet
Name: Skytalon/Duskeye
Title: Archer/Pyromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Lucein wrote:1. nice and simple one do you think it could be done well if you took the time to try and do it and get something good going with it ?
Yes

Lucein wrote:2. Already assumed this but it is correct in saying you could not talk due to the lack of correct vocal cords the feral form of choice?
An endless debate. The fauna of azeroth is different than on earth. The details of shape shifting is unknown... So you will hear convincing arguments from both sides. Do it if you like it but understand that some might take offence. Handle with care

Lucein wrote:3. I am guessing as well that if it was succesful to do that each druid would have a preferd form that they would be better with than others that they would shift into more than others ?
Most do it like this and teh traditional schools seem to focus on one or two forms.

Lucein wrote:4. Could these druids take on thse forms for certian appointed jobs most of the time for random examples cat form for scouting, bear fros for acting as body guards for some reason maybe and flight form for delivering messages kind of thing ?
Some argue you can some argue that you don't know all forms IC. see answer to 3

Lucein wrote:5. Would it be quite easy to nottice them as they are just in feral from for example some one thinking oh there is a druid in feral form instead of going beast wild beast in stormwind quick kill it and think about it later ! ?
I play it like this. Being a Nelf and in tune with nature and a couple of centuries experience of the azerothian wildlife and so on. They are also visible different than the animal models.

Lucein wrote:6. Would it bewrong for the druid to have a prefrence to be in their chosen feral form rather than their nauteral form for example if they find them selfs to shy to talk and interact with most people on a social level for some odd reason like that ?
This is also a common concept amongst druids. Something like 1/5 druids get stuck or have been stuck in one of their forms. Laughing

Personally I like druids that have their kaldorei form as their preferred form. But do it right and really think about shifting and different aspects of it and I'll accept whatever.

Like: Most NPCs are in their humanoid form. Why is that? What is the trade off when you are a cat? Compared to a humanoid, bear and bird. And so on.

Lucein wrote:7. Last but not least would it on some level be tolirated of course nothing like going into a building in feral form ofcourse but maybe seeing a druid on a rare ocasion stroll down the street in their chosen form for some reason ?
Yes. Differs on where you play of course but cats and bears are quite common in Darnassus and it creates very little fuss.
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet
Name: Khalida Frostfeather
Title: Sentinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Personally I incorporated the feral forms a lot into my RP on Ixirar. In my more oblivious days of RP I used to retain the ability to speak in feral forms, but later changed that and relied on emotes in forms.

Ixirar prefers to be in her cat form but I took the liberty of saying that 11.800 years of training is sufficient that she would be able to deploy the powers of all the non-talent bound shapes, meaning I RPed her as not knowing Moonkin or TOL, even while resto/balance specced OOCly. She can do cat, bear, bird and seal, and she'd always chose whichever animal form was most appropriate for the situation rather than relying on the versatile humanoid form unless it was strictly required.

Do note that according to lore, if a druid spends too much time in a given shape, the druid will start to take on personality traits of the animal, up to the point of being stuck in the form fulltime (the druids of the claw, before you recruit them to your army, in WC3:ROC campaign are actually unable to shift out of the form, and they behaved like wild bears, even attacking Malfurion when he approached them to ask for help against the legion)

If any night elves plan to do this to their character though, be cautious to not overdo that part of your character, as I know that several of the high ranking members of the prominent Night Elf RP guilds are vocal advocators of forcing the night elf shape to be the primary shape. You might find roadblocks there.

Also, as Sharyssa said, Druids of the Wild are taught to be efficient (not expert level, a druid of the claw vs a druid of the wild in a straight bear duel, the druid of the wild would get annihilated) in all forms, rather than specialize in one single form.

And there is no official canon answer to the druids speaking in forms thing. It's personal prefference. But as stated already, the RPG books -did- say that druids lost the ability to speak. And in the original WoW beta (not sure if it launched that way, it was changed when I rolled Ixirar 6 months later atleast) druids were unable to interact with NPCs while shapeshifted. I'm pretty sure the ingame thing was changed because people found it to be a hassle, but I can't confirm that, so it -might- have been a change of mind by Blizzard's lore panel.

Don't stretch it looking for official lore answers though. Blizzard has stated atleast once that the main purpose for their lore at this point is to make way for raid instances. Yes, they said that even the lore revolves around raids now. Major "GG Metzen" moment for me when I heard that. (I can't find source links, you'll have to take my word, look for it yourself, or just discard it, I don't mind either)

Last edited by Ixirar on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the last 3 paragraphs.)
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down