Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility...

+20
(Goggy) - Exilius
Cid
Gunnell
Geldar
Rasonal Dranger
Zinkle Figgins
Kil'drakor
Gallandria
Mandui
Kozgugore Feraleye
Guldujenu
Shrogan
Nayan
Muzjhath
Kristeas Sunbinder
Lavian
Cathee Norris
Saevir
itsy
Krogon Devilstep
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Would you be up for this?

RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Vote_lcap36%RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 14 ]
RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Vote_lcap64%RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 25 ]

Total Votes : 39

Poll closed

RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Empty RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility...

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 pm

I had an idea tonight regarding World pvp and the status Quo of what gear is balanced and what is not.

theres a multitue of argumebts of RP gear Vs real Gear, or neither, or both... and i may have a simple solution for balancing the whole problem.

with the approach of the next patch and the improved honour gain, it may be possible or even plausible for a player to easily and quickly purchase what would or could become a mandatory set of level 60... high warlord/field marshall armour and weapon, to be used in World pvp battles all the time.

this would balance gear, it looks good, and it would add uniformity to both the Alliance and Horde armies on both sides.

this is just a simple suggestion, if theres enough interest i may explore the idea further. please give your thought's and vote on the poll! (if it works...)
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Empty Re: RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility...

Post by itsy Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Krogon wrote:mandatory

Not too keen on this part. It's one thing to have an idea like this, but quite another when you try and force it on everybody. Also, surely with the new honour changes, it would be much better to spend your honour on a furious/relentless set and offpieces for WPvP, hmm?
itsy
itsy

Character sheet
Name: @_@
Title: @_@

Back to top Go down

RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility... Empty Re: RP gear and W-pvp, a possibility...

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm

i'd love nothing more than to use my real gear.

but some people -insist- pvp gear is ooc and force you to wear rp gear... which mathmatically speaking, makes balance FAR, far worse.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm

this also ignores the issue that to some people, level 60 pvp sets would be neither RP gear nor PvP gear.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:16 am

I think that is frankly up to event creators to discuss whether or not to use RP gear or PvP gear.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 am

I never got the whole thing about using PVP gear and calling it OOC. I truly never. Even if they implemented a system where they would change the graphic of said gear by the users choice but kept the stats like say LOTRO does, people will still come up with some silly excuse.

But eh. On topic to this now.

It's a nice idea on paper but from what I gather you still have to farm 74k honor for the whole set and for some people, they won't be bothered with such a trivial amount anyway.

Good initiative though.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 am

The problem is that, 74k honor (Guessing Snow is right) is still a pain in the ass to get for the lazy/Not PvP-friendly.

Ontop of that, it takes away some of the "I'm not the same as you guys, not quite" factor.

It's easier to either say "All in RP gear" and try to balance it from there with numbers, trinkets/rings etc., or just call it a PVP geared free for all, than make everyone go farm out a level 60 set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:04 am

I think everyone should start in the best gear. Whoever wins the fight has to put a player into rp gear. If the defeat was crushing, maybe more.

Also no, because whille possible, there is gear over level 60 that fits characters much better than forced level 60.

Last edited by Kristeas Sunbinder on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 am

Ovelia "Snow" Adair wrote:I never got the whole thing about using PVP gear and calling it OOC. I truly never. Even if they implemented a system where they would change the graphic of said gear by the users choice but kept the stats like say LOTRO does, people will still come up with some silly excuse.
I would say that most don't call it OOC for it being PvP gear.
Most call it OOCgear for them as their character would never be seen wearing it. I know that ICly my orc would never show himself publicly with any PvP shoulders above deadly. Those big red glowing open spots on those shoulders are just "what the fuck?".
That is the reason I treat my pvpset as OOC gear most of the day.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:06 am

As an idea, I like it. But it has some fundamental problems.

1. How do you plan to give lvl60 pvp gear to a lvl45?
2. How do you plan to give lvl60 pvp gear to a DK?
3. How do you plan to "punish" (forgive the harshness of the word, it's in accordance to "mandatory") those who hate bg'ing and won't farm honour for this to go through?
4. Would you think someone should be excluded, if they don't agree with it? Even if you gather 30 people with that gear, I don't see why 5 people who disagree and want to do it in lvl80 gear, should be 'excluded'.

As a last note, I'm fairly sure that the most voices against pvp gear as "ooc" are in cases where everyone is in their cloth/lacking RP gear and 4-5 people charge in full Furious, because they were prepared in advance. Now, don't get me wrong, it is perfectly fine as a logic to think that the attackers would be better prepared in advance. But it's not fine when 1 person in full Furious charges in and kills 12 people in cloth/lowbies and needs a full teamwork of 15 to go down. And PvP gear's resilience offers that, which is unrealistic. It's all about balancing. Your idea is towards balancing, but it takes for granted that everyone wishes to sacrifice their time to farm something they might not even like (or in some cases, even can't - lowlevels/DK's).

That's my views on it.

Voted "no", not because I don't like it as a concept, but because I firmly believe it's not doable and I wouldn't want to see it half-implemented, as it would fail to give any balance at all if so.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 am

judging by the replies, i can safely assume its a firm "nah, dont think so".

which is good, means i can lol around in real gear...

and the next person to tell me my pvp gear is ooc is getting a sword up the rectum!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 am

PvP gear yay!

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldujenu Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 am

It's a good initiative. But however like it's been said it's up to the event host. And for all the "omfg your on your t10 gear nab" well if we are on a W-pvp campaing, and we try to RP it as realistic as possible in this warcraft universe... It cannot get anymore realistic when it becomes unfair to the otherside. War is never fair for anyone. But then again it doesnt look good if you swap your 50k health pvp gear and your 17k health RP gear during RP and RP-fights. >_>

Use common sense and don't be an ass is a good rule in w-pvp. Neutral
Guldujenu
Guldujenu

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 am

https://2img.net/h/i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/Lemonpie39/WoWScrnShot_090907_131432.jpg

In remembrance of all those brave orcs who had to endure an entire summer as well as anniversary war with tiny, anti-masculine shoulders. Beware before you complain about looking like a fool in RP-PvP battles! There have been many orcs before you that were way worse off!
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldujenu Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:https://2img.net/h/i151.photobucket.com/albums/s148/Lemonpie39/WoWScrnShot_090907_131432.jpg

In remembrance of all those brave orcs who had to endure an entire summer as well as anniversary war with tiny, anti-masculine shoulders. Beware before you complain about looking like a fool in RP-PvP battles! There have been many orcs before you that were way worse off!

Haha, reminds me when i first saw that bug, i asked a random orc why his shoulders were so small in honest curiosity. The reply was "F*** off" and ignore. =p
Guldujenu
Guldujenu

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 am

I don't understand the whole PvP phobia to be quite honest. People who are too lazy to farm honor in battlegrounds, attend Wintergrasp, do arenas, or in other words, do pretty much anything required to attain some decent PvP gear, are doing so by choice, not by force. It's perfectly fine if one doesn't appreciate PvP as much as RP and chooses not to pursue any PvP items. After all, it's everyone's choice how to spend their game time. However, this choice also brings certain consequences with it. The RP-PvP nature of the server is pretty much self explanatory as to why. One's character will probably not be adequately equipped in PvP situations.

Now, apart from the above mentioned lazy or RP orientated people, there are others who actually enjoy both aspects just as much and are willing to invest time and effort to get PvP gear, thusly giving their character a higher survivability in PvP situations. There is even a third group of people. Those are the ones who, despite not enjoying PvP as much as RP, still do their best to get at least some of the welfare pieces (which, let's face it, are really easy to get nowadays).

I honestly find any attempt to lower the PvP standards, unfair towards the last two groups. Everyone is free to go after gear, if they choose not to, there's really no point in demanding from others to "be gentle" when the chance for PvP arises.

Admittedly, there are two cases where this might be necessary. The first one involves PvP battles where the numbers on the two sides are extremely unequal. The second involves PvP battles where the numbers might be equal, but the people participating are not level 80 in their majority. In these two cases, it's more than fair to have an agreement in regards to the gear.

Lastly, I don't see how PvP gear can be seen as OOC. I'm pretty certain that even under realistic circumstances, the characters wouldn't be running around in their full battle gear 24/7 but they'd also not go into a battle in their casual clothes.

That said, I have to disagree with a set gear rule, which would apply to every single PvP event for everyone. It's not only highly situational but it also defeats the purpose of a RP-PvP server to a certain extend.

Last edited by Mandui on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

Mandui wrote:I don't understand the whole PvP phobia to be quite honest. People who are too lazy to farm honor in battlegrounds, attend Wintergrasp, do arenas, or in other words, do pretty much anything required to attain some decent PvP gear, are doing so by choice, not by force. It's perfectly fine if one doesn't appreciate PvP as much as RP and chooses not to pursue any PvP items. After all, it's everyone's choice how to spend their game time. However, this choice also brings certain consequences with it. The RP-PvP nature of the server is pretty much self explanatory as to why. One's character will probably not be adequately equipped in PvP situations.

Now, apart from the above mentioned lazy or RP orientated people, there are others who actually enjoy both aspects just as much and are willing to invest time and effort to get PvP gear, thusly giving their character a higher survivability in PvP situations. There is even a third group of people. Those are the ones who, despite not enjoying PvP as much as RP, still do their best to get at least some of the welfare pieces (which, let's face it, are really easy to get nowadays).

I honestly find any attempt to lower the PvP standards, unfair towards the last two groups. Everyone is free to go after gear, if they choose not to, there's really no point in demanding from others to "be gentle" when the chance for PvP arises.

Admittedly, there are two cases where this might be necessary. The first one involves PvP battles where the numbers on the two sides are extremely unequal. The second involves PvP battles where the numbers might be equal, but the people participating are not level 80 in their majority. In these two cases, it's more than fair to have an agreement in regards to the gear.

Lastly, I don't see how PvP gear can be seen as OOC. I'm pretty certain that even under realistic circumstances, the characters wouldn't be running around in their full battle gear 24/7 but they'd also not go into a battle in their casual clothes.

That said, I have to disagree with a set gear rule, which would apply to every single PvP event for everyone. It's not only highly situational but it also defeats the purpose of a PR-PvP server to a certain extend.

/thread pretty much.

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 am

Bring a healer & you'll beat the crap out of any other Rp-PvPers you'd meet (Seeing how most of them are rogues or huntards; Or paladins since Wrath)

Tested with 50/50 level 70/low-end 80 gear against some level eighties in mostly pvp stuff, working as intended. xD

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:55 am

Marrenus wrote:Bring a healer & any other Rp-PvPers you'd meet (Seeing how most of them are rogues or huntards; Or paladins since Wrath) would turn the healer into goo, first of all, or crowd control them to the End of All Days, till he/she dies of old age.

Fixed (if the opposing party has any real clue). ^^
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallandria Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 pm

I dont see any problem in just using normal pvp gear, you can always act as some other character during events if your character/s wouldnt be there icly or wear that kind of equipment.
Gallandria
Gallandria

Character sheet
Name: Gallandria Adair
Title: The Bloody Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 pm

I'd say this is only compulsory if both factions (groups, not the IC kind) decide that it's okay. If not, no biggy. It's not really realistic to claim PvP gear is OOC either. PvP gear actually looks quite good.

I'd like to engage in battle in my RP gear some time though -- which, unlike is said here, doesn't have to be cloth dresses etc. Some of the low-level plate gear looks quite good in example.

EDIT: While I am here, allow me to direct you to another very (*cough*) interesting thread on this same forum. Smile

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Take into account the blue pvp set too. Looks almost the same and costs much less.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

To claim pvp gear is OOC is not right. However, claiming that using RP gear in battles is stupid, is too.

If the makers of the event decide they prefer RP gear for that or another reason, for they find it more fun, so be it. No reason to force them to force their guilds to use Pvp. Not all those that want to use RP gear in RP-pvp battles are "lazies that shall deal with the consequence", some of them just find the RP gear more fun to be used.

Both ways are fine, no reason to mock one way or other.

Edit: that was mostly to Mandui post and others with the same content.
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Rasonal Dranger wrote:To claim pvp gear is OOC is not right. However, claiming that using RP gear in battles is stupid, is too.

If the makers of the event decide they prefer RP gear for that or another reason, for they find it more fun, so be it. No reason to force them to force their guilds to use Pvp. Not all those that want to use RP gear in RP-pvp battles are "lazies that shall deal with the consequence", some of them just find the RP gear more fun to be used.

Both ways are fine, no reason to mock one way or other.

Edit: that was mostly to Mandui post and others with the same content.
My purpose wasn't to mock. I only described how the situation is. It's a fact. People themselves openly admit to be "cba/too lazy to farm honor/gear".

Also, using RP gear for PvP can only be fun when the opponents do it as well. I can't see how it can be fun to keep getting killed repeatedly and spending most of one's time corpse running.

And don't forget that I mentioned that the use of RP gear in PvP is very situational, I just don't agree with having one set rule for every single PvP battle that happens. How you received the whole thing as mocking...well *shrug*
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Mandui wrote:

Also, using RP gear for PvP can only be fun when the opponents do it as well. I can't see how it can be fun to keep getting killed repeatedly and spending most of one's time corpse running.

And don't forget that I mentioned that the use of RP gear in PvP is very situational, I just don't agree with having one set rule for every single PvP battle that happens. How you received the whole thing as mocking...well *shrug*
'

Sorry if I misunderstood, then. Of course, RP gear is fun only when both sides are using it. Pvp gear is also fun, and I agree there should not be a rule for all the Rp-pvp battles that happens to wear X or Y gear. As I said, both are fine and it deppens on those that participate.
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next