Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random History Tidbits

+19
Nayan
Geneve
Gogol
Halya
Jayse
Kristeas Sunbinder
Chase - Esou
Valerias
Grufftoof
Geldar
Morinth
Mervyn
Seranita
Demurral
Amaryl
Nithel
Antistia
Geneviève
Lavian
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Random History Tidbits Empty Random History Tidbits

Post by Lavian Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 am

Ever since I looked over a page about historical bits of random information here and there on another site that are pretty amazing. I've been looking over and finding more interesting little details I never knew of history like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang

The Admiral who was known to never have lost a naval combat( Turtle boats but still).

or...

"Shortly before the assassination of Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth, Lincoln's son Robert was in New Jersey at a train station when he fell off of the platform and on to the tracks. Immediately a hand reached down and grabbed his collar, pulled him back onto the platform, and saved his life. Who was the man who saved him? None other than Edwin Booth, the older brother of John Wilkes Booth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_%28soldier_bear%29

And perhaps a more known one of Cleopatra bothering to learn Egyptian as the first in her dynasty.

More here and take them as you will:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ge9k7/biggest_history_mindfucks/

Reason I made the thread however was to ask what other knowledge of historical interest do you know that may not be well known? I find these things interesting.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Random History Tidbits Empty Re: Random History Tidbits

Post by Geneviève Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 am

The people of Skara Brae in the north of Scotland had domestic plumbing six hundred years before the first pyramid was built, over 5000 years ago.
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:16 am

The Roman Emperor Diocletian was the first emperor to abdicate.. He spent the rest of his life growing cabbages.

A Dutch Stadthouder shot himself in the face.. He did not die immediately but he did die eventually. In the meantime he wrote advice to his young cousin not to shoot himself in the face by checking if there was a bullet in the gun by looking in the barrel (like the Stadthouder did).

Nikita Khrushchev once told a visiting American his city would not be nuked because he liked him.

This is all from the top of my head, the first is a rather well known fact (maybe not the cabbage growing part, but still), the second was told to me by my history teacher who studied the guy extensively, and the last comes from "The Cold War: A New History" by John Lewis Gaddis. This is out of the top of my head so I didn't bother to look it up in my books Razz
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Haha Antistia. The Stadthouder story is weird! xD Imagine receiving a letter saying: "Hello, I have a bullet in my head, please avoid having a bullet in your head, it hurts."

Time for silly facts! The two biggest conflicts this world has seen: World War I and World War II have respectively been started and ended by weapons with a -Made In Belgium- stamp on them. (Kind of)

WWI: The reasons why WWI (World War I) started are very complex and there's multiple causes building up to it even from 1815 already. But one event caused the bucket to spill. The assassination on 28 June 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, was the proximate trigger of the war. This was done with a Belgian pistol from FN, an arms company that still makes a lot of famous guns.

WWII: Belgium provided the uranium for the Atomic bomb little boy dropped by the Americans on Hiroshima. It came from Congo, our colony. (I believe there's a mistake on the wikipedia page though. It says the materials used for fat man were also from Belgian-Congo but I'm pretty sure fat man was a plutonium based bomb, not uranium. Anyone that can confirm?)

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Plutonium is created out of Uranium nithel.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Amaryl wrote:Plutonium is created out of Uranium nithel.
I did not know that. My natural science knowledge is really shit sorry Sad Awesome though! I thought plutonium was a created element, didn't know it was from uranium. Then both the A-bombs were from Belgian uranium.

Now I'm interested as to how and why one makes plutonium from uranium though Surprised

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Shooting deuterium at uranium in a centrifuge.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm

hmm... World War I killed off all British Bees, and as such, we have no ethnic british bees in england today, they are all mexican and american and spanish.
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm

And here is another 'interesting' tidbit of history!

Emperor Claudius was a man who in his life got married to four women before he finally died and was succeeded by emperor Nero. His third wife bore him his only son, Britannicus who was eventually eclipsed by Nero (and hence, Nero became emperor). Now, this third wife was named Valeria Messalina and was quite.. Promiscuous. Pliny reports that she once had a contest with a prostitute about who could have sex with the most men in a single day (or night). Now, the empress of Rome, the mightiest woman in all the empire.. Won. She had sex with more men than a prostitute in a single day.

Juvenal writes the following of her (source: wikipedia, translated by Peter Green)

Spoiler:

Alright, so, there we have it. Valeria Messalina. The empress of Rome. In the end she was executed by Claudius because she was plotting to kill him. Claudius moved on and married his fourth wife, the mother of Nero. History knows her as Agrippina the Younger.. Did I also mention she was emperor Caligula's sister and thus Claudius' niece?

Oh, and here is a battle which may or may not have occurred. Still:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kar%C3%A1nsebes

Yes, the Austrians allegedly defeated themselves.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh wow at that last part. I wonder if there's a similiar scenario of a battle of the french surrendering to each other.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 pm

I thort plutonium was the halflife element of uranium no?
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mervyn Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Heres a very interesting one about lesbians!

In the late 1800's the British prime minister when to queen Victoria in order to have her put the stamp of approval on laws banning homosexuality in men, but there was also a clause about homosexuality in women, saying that too shall be banned. However, queen Victoria was so shocked and appalled at the sheer notion of a female subject of hers doing something so vulgar she refused to believe it real and as such there was no need for there to be a law passed banning lesbians.

Thats homosexuality in men was against the law up until the 1960's, but lesbians could do what they pleased because there was no law against it! Smile

Mervyn

Character sheet
Name: Mervyn
Title: Deathbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:38 pm

And that is why you need an unelected head of state! Razz
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Mervyn wrote:Heres a very interesting one about lesbians!

In the late 1800's the British prime minister when to queen Victoria in order to have her put the stamp of approval on laws banning homosexuality in men, but there was also a clause about homosexuality in women, saying that too shall be banned. However, queen Victoria was so shocked and appalled at the sheer notion of a female subject of hers doing something so vulgar she refused to believe it real and as such there was no need for there to be a law passed banning lesbians.

Thats homosexuality in men was against the law up until the 1960's, but lesbians could do what they pleased because there was no law against it! Smile

WE DON'T EXIST, THAT'S WHY! Uhh, I mean... HEY MERVYN. Very Happy

Trust you to look up lesbians.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:23 pm

The 7th Panzer Division was a German elite armored formation which participated in the Battle of France. General Erwin Rommel commanded the division, which was nicknamed the "Ghost Division" because of its speed and independent movement, which even the German High Command had difficulty following.

The 7th Panzer Division moved with great speed through France and covered vast distances. During the Battle of France, the 7th Panzer Division earned the name of the Ghost Divison (German:"Gespensterdivision") because its rapid movements lead to few knowing exactly where the Division was, including the German High Command. Rommel had a "lead from the front" attitude and often commanded from the turret of a tank, thus becoming a mere company commander, rather than a division commander issuing orders from his headquarters. He expected all his commanders to lead from the front as well. In addition, he would sometimes 'lose' communications with the High Command if he felt it necessary.

His fearless command of the 7th Panzer Division showed his confidence and understanding of blitzkrieg concepts. The success they experienced and his favor with Hitler prevented any repercussions from the High Command, some of whom criticized Rommel for being difficult to contact and locate. Rommel described the French Campaign in his letters to his wife as "a lightning Tour de France".

Why it is called that:

Spoiler:
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Not sure if this is interesting or not, it's not very quirky.

Rommel is one of history's great Commanders, his style of leadership and particular brand of strategy has earned him the accolade of being one of the leaders studied at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

In addition to commanding the 7th Panzer Division and almost beating the Allies in North Africa with vastly inferior Italian troops he correctly predicted every single stretch of beach utilised for the D-Day landings. However, by this stage he had lost the confidence of German High Command, they simply couldn't tolerate a non-Nazi who held the adoration and respect of both the German AND British population (In Germany he was even considered a sex symbol ^^).

The man was a genius and on top of that honourable and courageous in the face of adversity. When Hitler decided to get rid of him he couldn't risk inflaming the German population so issued Rommel an ultimatum, Rommel's family would be executed if he didn't take his own life.

On the 14 October 1944 the Desert Fox killed himself.

Slightly on topic and more quirky. Hitler's obsession with retaining control of British soil led to the German army placing enough artillary and defensive emplacements on the Channel islands to render any Russian advance on the Eastern Front suicidal. Fortunately for almost everyone Hitler was an incompetant and the Allies not so foolish, we developed a cunning strategy to counter this impregnable island fortress. We sailed around it. Huzzah!
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 am

This will be a TL;DR one, but I felt the need to post this after Rommel, I present to you, Michael Wittmann, probably one of the best if not -THE- best tank commanders ever to fight:

Early life:

Michael Wittmann was born on April 22, 1914 in the village of Vogelthal in the Oberpfalz region of Bavaria. He was the second son of local farmer Johann Wittmann and his wife Ursula. In February 1934, Michael joined the Volunteer Labour Service, the FAD (what later became the RAD) and on October 30, 1934 he joined the German Army. He was assigned to the 19. Infantry Regiment based at Freising by Munich, eventually reaching the rank of Gefreiter (lance-corporal). In October 1936 the 22-year-old Wittmann joined the Allgemeine-SS. On April 5, 1937, he was assigned to the premier regiment, later division Leibstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler (LSSAH) and was given the rank SS-Mann (private). A year later, he participated in the occupation of Austria and the Sudetenland with an armoured car platoon.

Early stages of the war:

Spoiler:

Eastern Front:

Spoiler:

Normandy (This is a long one):

Spoiler:

Death:

Spoiler:
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 am

550 years ago last weekend the bloodiest battle (possibly) on British soil took place just outside of York at Towton.

No quarter was given to the fleeing Lancastrians by the Yorkist troops and 28000 men were killed in the snow. It brought about the change of ruling dynasties in England, and was one of a series of Civil Wars named after the symbols of the two major houses The Wars of the Roses (for the Red Rose of Lancashire and the White Rose of York).

I was there this weekend. It a weird feeling being there, always is.

Not so much interesting in itself. But The Wars of the Roses are a very interesting period. Another of the Civil Wars which have buggered England mercilessly. There's Charles and Oliver et al, of course, but also Stephen and Matilda (circa 12th Centurty).

Another interesting, if downplayed in School history at least, is William's Harrying (or Harrowing) of the North. The scorched earth policy of the Bastard King to subdue his newly won crown, especially in the area of Durham and Yorkshire. The population of Yorkshire (according to the records of the time) was cut by 3/4 and approximately 100,000 were killed or died of starvation/disease.

Today we would call it genocide ("deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group" - the native Saxons). And even William's own supporters spoke against him, and said he was damned.

There are accounts that some of the survivors turned to cannibalism, and that explains why Yorkshire people are so strange.

Last edited by grufftoof on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 pm

grufftoof wrote:Another interesting, if downplayed in School history at least, is William's Harrying (or Harrowing) of the North. The scorched earth policy of the Bastard King to subdue his newly won crown, especially in the area of Durham and Yorkshire. The population of Yorkshire (according to the records of the time) was cut by 3/4 and approximately 100,000 were killed or died of starvation/disease.

I'm not native to Yorkshire, yet for all my love of British history I never had heard about that. Downplayed indeed. And most intriguing! (I never did like William though, ahem.)

grufftoof wrote:There are accounts that some of the survivors turned to cannibalism, and that explains why Yorkshire people are so strange.

Well, there has to be some explanation Razz
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:46 pm

So many tidbits, so few sources QQ
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Chase wrote:So many tidbits, so few sources QQ

There are some writers who know how to not destroy good stories with things like facts.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Nazi Germany was working on a major mirror in space with which to turn cities to ash and make oceans boil. This particular "Wunderwaffen" was called a "Sunnengewehr" or a Sun Gun in English.

The Germans thought it could be done within 50 or a 100 years.

Yes, solar power can be cool.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,852344,00.html (note the date)
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Antistia wrote:

Nazi Germany was working on a major mirror in space with which to turn cities to ash and make oceans boil. This particular "Wunderwaffen" was called a "Sunnengewehr" or a Sun Gun in English.

I didn't mean energy sources or anything like that, I meant literary sources that can back up the "facts".
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Chase wrote:
Antistia wrote:

I didn't mean energy sources or anything like that, I meant literary sources that can back up the "facts".

I know that, which is why I provided my source, Time magazine Razz it just so happened that my tidbit involved solar power xD
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Pun intended?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet