Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "other game thread"

+76
Malchiel
The Z
Rmuffn
Dréfurion
Maelmoor
bloop
Drustai
Shaelyssa
Ataris
Baròth / Olian
The Misty Beast
Morty
Killian
Ave/Sariella
Feydor
itsy
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Dangadil Stormhead
Sophie
Morgeth
Gahalla
Krogon Devilstep
Guldujenu
Raelan
Unknown
Kil'drakor
Morinth
Seranita
Wigumoto
Guillemot
Cyaska
Jomir
Muzjhath
Ixirar
Geneviève
Khendran
Amaryl
Nithel
Mikasa
Shadowpope
Nayan
Dharum
Jeanpierre
Lavian
Dorik Thunderbelly
Nathiniós
Ironherald
Kristeas Sunbinder
Uatan/Puaar
Saevir
Elloa
Antistia
Navoe
Gesh
Munro Bruys
-Flacon
Grufftoof
Gogol
Darilas
Chase - Esou
Halya
Quin
Lini
Neyvin/Noxie
Mandui
Flo
Jayse
Sir Lancelot
Aniella Nightwhisper
Etular
Sanara
Ralegh
Gunnell
Millana
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Kozgugore Feraleye
80 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

The "other game thread" - Page 21 Empty Re: The "other game thread"

Post by Nayan Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

What "German Empire" do you speak of? As HRE, I've vassalized them all - and Bohemia (who left right before the vassalization) has been taught its lesson on who not to pester. Papal State agrees. It should agree. Not like it can do much else, being a vessel too. I just need to evaporate the Iberian side, now. Even the I-have-all-USSR-nations-in-my-panties-Novgorod knows enough to plea for peace, every time their alliance dragged them to war with me. Very Happy
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Mon May 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Nayan wrote:What "German Empire" do you speak of? As HRE, I've vassalized them all - and Bohemia (who left right before the vassalization) has been taught its lesson on who not to pester. Papal State agrees. It should agree. Not like it can do much else, being a vessel too. I just need to evaporate the Iberian side, now. Even the I-have-all-USSR-nations-in-my-panties-Novgorod knows enough to plea for peace, every time their alliance dragged them to war with me. Very Happy

Heir to the throne adds another decision that causes the HRE to inherit every state with a capital in the HRE. (It doesn't give cores) - the true monster blob.

Although Franzakistan and the Bohemistan I posted a while back are also pretty scary. I also remember a game as Frankfurt where Vijayanagar had formed Hindustan and conquered Persia, Oman, Yemen, Swahili, Adal, Ethiopia, Mutapa, Hedjaz, Mamluks, Tripoli, Tunis, Algiers, some of Morocco, and some of the Ottoman Empire.

I never dared fight them, even with a thirty tier land tech advantage. Not because I couldn't beat them, but because I was afraid the size of the battles would crash the game. (I had over 1,200,000 troops... They had over 2,000,000, at game end.)
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Aight guys, let's talk Terraria. Me and Quinian bought this rough diamond of a game today on steam, only 9.99 euro. In an hour or two of gameplay we both agree we've already got our money's worth, having some chaotic fun figuring out the inns and outs of this game.

The game's heavily inspired by Minecraft, and it's got what I wanted to see in Minecraft: A more obvious progression path and a big teamplay factor. There's a lot of digging and crafting items just like in Minecraft, only here you'll eventually build an entire set of armor for your character. This along with different kinds of weapons, in the end of the game giving you laser weapons and stuff like that.

Although we bought the game and played through steam, we had to also use Hamachi to connect to the server. Basically one of us had to run two clients of the game, one for the server and one to actually play in it. It's not really a problem if you worry about performance though since it's, like Minecraft, really easy on the graphics and the game is only about 20 mb.

It's quite hard and it got to the point where we felt a bit bored after 2 hours of gameplay since we weren't progressing as fast anymore, but we really want to try this game out with more people. It's bound to be way more fun with 4-5 people on skype, and the game is chaotic, to say the least.

Discuss, and show your interest!
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Mon May 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Halya, aye, I know the decision. I am not hitting it on purpose, because I want the buffs I'm getting from HRE, which it will remove if I merge them into one HRE country.

I frankly don't need their extra supplies, colonized 75% of Africa's coasts and ~50% of America - plus vassalizing England, getting a good grip in eastern Mediterranean (Bursa and the Middle East's shores, from Jerusalem to Lebanon) and expanding southeast of France all the way to Venezia. ^^
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Oskar wrote:Aight guys, let's talk Terraria. Me and Quinian bought this rough diamond of a game today on steam, only 9.99 euro. In an hour or two of gameplay we both agree we've already got our money's worth, having some chaotic fun figuring out the inns and outs of this game.

The game's heavily inspired by Minecraft, and it's got what I wanted to see in Minecraft: A more obvious progression path and a big teamplay factor. There's a lot of digging and crafting items just like in Minecraft, only here you'll eventually build an entire set of armor for your character. This along with different kinds of weapons, in the end of the game giving you laser weapons and stuff like that.

Although we bought the game and played through steam, we had to also use Hamachi to connect to the server. Basically one of us had to run two clients of the game, one for the server and one to actually play in it. It's not really a problem if you worry about performance though since it's, like Minecraft, really easy on the graphics and the game is only about 20 mb.

It's quite hard and it got to the point where we felt a bit bored after 2 hours of gameplay since we weren't progressing as fast anymore, but we really want to try this game out with more people. It's bound to be way more fun with 4-5 people on skype, and the game is chaotic, to say the least.

Discuss, and show your interest!
Awesome, someone else is showing interest to the game as well. Was positively surprised to find out that they decided to release early. I'll be getting the game sometime in the near future.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Tue May 17, 2011 12:16 am

Saw the simon and lewis vids on that game, didnt seem appealing enough. Sad
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 am

Terraria seemed like the kind of game that's fun with friends but tedious alone. I might check it out.

One question, is it possible to have a static multiplayer server like in Minecraft? A server that's always online and people can build on and even when they're alone their progress will be saved?

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Tue May 17, 2011 7:54 am

Bumping in here to say that PDM is a mod I thoroughly enjoy for Victoria 2. The economy has been redone so there's no more France just building luxury furniture and luxury clothes factories to blast their industrial score past the British. It's also much harder for low literacy countries to industrialize (I'm looking at you, Russia...). Britain has been weakened through not having a gazillion brigades from India. There are more countries that can be released. More decisions, more events. Building the canals cost a lot of money now. Oh, and the AI tends to uphold its alliances. Thanks to that I've seen France and GB duke it out multiple times in my first game (USA), same with Austria and France when Sardinia-Piedmont tried to liberate Lombardia.. And the British and the Russians fought multiple wars over China and British possessions in Canada.

In my USA game I did find it too easy to win the ACW though. It wasn't like there weren't enough enemies to fight (I easily saw over a 100k troops on the Confederate side if memory serves) but the Confederates were fighting both me and an enormous reactionary uprising. It was also a bit easy to unify the German Empire with Prussia. After a war in 1836 over German hegemony with the Austrians I managed to form the NGF and began increasing my troop numbers quite a bit.

Then I decided to go ballsy and declare war on France while they were still allied with the Russians. That was quite the war, the Dutch joined the French too and I had hoped to score a quick knock out blow against them, and thus leaving the German-French border undefended. I failed miserably and as French troops marched into the Netherlands they were also busy occupying most of the Rhineland etc. War against the Russians went decent enough and I managed to have them WP out after starting a counter-offensive in Poland (I had at first fought in Germany proper) and having the Ottomans join in on the war. All the while in the west I was doing hit and run attacks with my army on the French... By the time I could send the troops in the east to the west half of western Germany was under French occupation Sad

I did manage to win in the end. The French forces had been weakened sufficiently for my reinforcements to be the deciding factor in the west. All in all, I managed to form the German Empire in 1839. At the time of victory my war exhaustion was close to 40% and my armies were pretty much worn down. I think I managed to unite it so early through luck and being ballsy..

Don't have a screenshot of the Reich because I've forgotten how to put em in paint again, but it's the generic border + Luxembourg in the Empire. Oh, and Spain took Wallonië from Belgium. Apart from that Europe's been pretty much quiet since 1839 (it's 1850 now)
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Tue May 17, 2011 7:56 am

I don't really enjoy starting as one of the great powers, much prefer being Argentina, South Africa, U.S.C.A, Dai Nam, etc, and building my way to it.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Tue May 17, 2011 8:01 am

Halya wrote:I don't really enjoy starting as one of the great powers, much prefer being Argentina, South Africa, U.S.C.A, Dai Nam, etc, and building my way to it.

Yep, I agree that's a lot of fun too, but I have a great love for Prussia and am trying to get the reworked economy and stuff under control Razz probably going to play as Japan or a dictatorship in South America aside from playing the Reich. USCA tends to fall apart in PDM quite easily from what I've seen (though it'd be interesting to reunite it as Guatemala). Might also try to unite Arabia as Nejd or Hedjaz and then invade the Ottomans (though they're usually part of a strong group of alliances in PDM afaik)
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 am

define PDM please
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Tue May 17, 2011 8:48 am

Nithel wrote:Terraria seemed like the kind of game that's fun with friends but tedious alone. I might check it out.

One question, is it possible to have a static multiplayer server like in Minecraft? A server that's always online and people can build on and even when they're alone their progress will be saved?

Yeah, it's the same as Minecraft in that aspect.

And that's awesome, Lini! Come play with us when you do!
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Tue May 17, 2011 8:52 am

A friend sends me a message on steam and goes "hey come play this game with us! its pretty cheap and fun!"
So i think, that the clock is only like 12 or whatever, i can play for a hour or two and still get a healthy amount of sleep.
I just stopped playing now, its allmost 10 in the morning.... fuck this game... seriously
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Tue May 17, 2011 8:59 am

Feydor/Dostoyev wrote:define PDM please

PDM stands for Population Demand Mod but it seems to have grown far beyond what the name implies.

Here is the forum for PDM:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?562-POP-Demand-Mod&s=580766795bd081573796bdb0fe5b2dc9

And here is the Readme that I received with the mod (It says V2 1.1 but I'm playing it on V2 1.3, there's a newer version than mine out but I have yet to download that one):

Spoiler:

On that forum there's a thread with a tool in it which makes modding V2 much easier (and much safer)

Last edited by Antistia on Tue May 17, 2011 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Tue May 17, 2011 9:14 am

Oskar wrote:
Yeah, it's the same as Minecraft in that aspect.

And that's awesome, Lini! Come play with us when you do!
Neat! I'll probably pick it up then.

Would be double bonus if it works on a mac.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Tue May 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I found France a bit more interesting than any of the other "great powers" as it begins utterly dissected. Previous picks in other games were (in reverse chronological order) Portugal, Scotland, Sweden. I equally don't like playing miniatures or dominating countries, I prefer "medium" ones. Smile
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Playing either France or GB is just.. urgh. You're so abnormally strong. I once played as France to test something. Suprise, it worked. I annexed China and soon the rest of the world followed. That's how strong they are.

I like playing colony countries, like Portugal and Netherlands. Two Sicilies can be fun at times as well. If I have to pick a larger country I'd go with either Russia or Austria, 'cause they aren't the strongest of strong, but still has a lot of potential.
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet
Name: Mikasa Angelos
Title: Retlol God

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 pm

For EU, I'm a fan of Holland, Portugal, Ireland, Morocco, Oman, Makassar, or for serious sadism, Kingdom of Jerusalem/Granada.

Morocco is far more powerful than npc behaviour enables it to be.

Spoiler:

For Victoria, its the major non-great powers I tend to like playing. Japan, U.S.C.A, Argentina/Brazil... The ones I've already mentioned, essentially. Somewhat conversely, I dislike colonials, I like all my affairs being close together wherever possible. That said, they are for the Netherlands still. The homeland, and then, the colonial blob of spice islands.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Aye, I've noticed the AI behaviour of Morocco being substandard because in one of the games, it really had a crack with expanding as Africa's major power and very competitive towards Europe as well (even held European territories after constant wars with Castille, Aragon and Byzantium).

What did puzzle me about France (and I haven't researched it, so it could be pretty obvious, idk) was how amazingly cheap and fast to recruit their cavalry was. It was as easy as infantry. I'm supposing it has something to do with province attributes, as I noticed it was true for "genuine" French provinces but not as much for areas I added to the collection.

PS: Had census here today, and it struck me. The game "knows" how much population each province has. Similarly, it can "know" each province's area. And it "knows" who controls what. Wouldn't it be cool to have a demographics feature to sum it up, the same way it lists each nation's armies and ships? ;o

Last edited by Nayan on Tue May 17, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm

AI islamic countries don't train enough cavalry, its that simple. They have an 80% cap on it, and they still use 2:1 infantry to cavalry ratios, and charge cavalry's 3 shock pips are murder at the game start, a good general can let a charge cavalry dominated force fight 3-1 toe to toe.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Good lord marine, really, god damnit.

We have so many people that plays EU3/VII, we should so host a game at some point and play. How awesome would that not be, really?!
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Indeed. I'm a big fan of playing paradox games as a more casual multiplayer style. They make for great lazy sundays.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Quin Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm

I started up VII the other day again, I really want to turn Holland into a super power but I really cant be fucked with managing all those colonies.

Might try marocco actually
Quin
Quin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Quin wrote:I started up VII the other day again, I really want to turn Holland into a super power but I really cant be fucked with managing all those colonies.

Might try marocco actually

Holland, as in Netherlands? Man, you don't even need to do anything special with your colonies, really. All you need to do, is keep Java from being taken, that's your main source of income for a long time, as well as your army will be produced from there as well.
I usually play as Netherlands, and I have such a huge amount of gold stashed away because of those colonies. But that's the weakness of Netherlands as well. If Java is taken, they're pretty much out of the game.
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Tue May 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Eira wrote:Saw the simon and lewis vids on that game, didnt seem appealing enough. Sad
Truth to be told, Simon and Lewis spent so much time mucking about that they barely even scratched the surface of the game. The videos were great for entertainment values but didn't give a good representation of the game itself.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next