Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Druids & Shamans: Can their spells be manipulated by the other?

2 posters

Go down

Druids & Shamans: Can their spells be manipulated by the other? Empty Druids & Shamans: Can their spells be manipulated by the other?

Post by Elrua Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 pm

As the title says, I've recently got into a discussion with two of my friends - one is a Druid player, who believes that, as the very essence of Nature (Or commander), then Druids will be able to manipulate and take control over the Shamanistic abilities which is granted to the Shamans, as they control Elements of Nature(ie, fire, water, earth, wind) and vice versa.

A second friend I spoke to was also unsure on this and went on to ask someone they knew as a lore-buff. Such person said that it may be possible that there would be a ->|<- effect, but no chance of manipulating the other's spells, as they come from two entirely different sources.

Upon trying to do my own research, there's not much on it. There's snippets which say that Druids cannot call fire or earthquakes, (unless they're a Druid of the Flame, for the latter), but they can everything else.

I've now turned to you guys Smile

Ultimately, the question is this:

If a Druid casts a spell of wind, water, ect - Can a Shaman take control of it? Similarly, vice versa.
Secondly, as an Elemental is a manifestation of an Element - or a form of Nature - could a Druid manipulate and take control of such, or direct it elsewhere?

- Thanks in advance!
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet
Name: Zryse
Title: Earthmender / Primal / Medic

Back to top Go down

Druids & Shamans: Can their spells be manipulated by the other? Empty Re: Druids & Shamans: Can their spells be manipulated by the other?

Post by Skarain Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 am

I'll start by quoting our most recent lore of the classes.

Druid:
Shaman:

Now going to the question itself.

Elrua wrote:If a Druid casts a spell of wind, water, ect - Can a Shaman take control of it? Similarly, vice versa.

I think it depends on the situation and element in question. Stopping a Water Bolt or a Tidal Wave mid-flight? Probably not possible. Easier to meet it with equal force for ->|<- reaction. Once a magical force has been summoned, I imagine stopping said spell would require enormous amounts of energy to stop it or turn it around.

There is one example ingame where Malfurion Stormrage "combats against wind" in Darkshore, the massive tornado threatening to tear the zone into bits. Likewise, Wind is a very fluid element. Even if someone would summon a storm, it may be easier to "take control of it" or stop it than.... let's say, a tidal wave. Likewise, countering a Cyclone spell might be very much possible with a reverse-spinning cyclone at the same place.

Elrua wrote:Secondly, as an Elemental is a manifestation of an Element - or a form of Nature - could a Druid manipulate and take control of such, or direct it elsewhere?

Druids do not deal with Elemental forces. They have no means or knowledge on how to take control of an elemental. At most, you can halt it advance/destroy it, but not control it. Likewise, a Shaman would probably not be able to take control of an Ancient (walking tree) or a Treant (another walking tree).

---

In general, I would advice against magic that try to take control of someone else magic. Such turns out easily into a battle of "raw power" and there is no power limit per say in roleplaying. Raw Power battles in turn.... not only are they dull, but both sides may think themselves more powerful than the other, so they'll just do Dragon Ball Z and "Kiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" to gather up more power.

A much more cool way to stop that example tidal wave is to either (druid) raise a wall of roots to serve as a tidebreaker, or (shaman) cause the earth to collapse and watch the wave to fall into the pit. You have many tools at your disposal to make the roleplaying more cool than having two trying to control the same one thing.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down