Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New RP'ers, how to?

5 posters

Go down

New RP'ers, how to? Empty New RP'ers, how to?

Post by Zackarn Yorelas Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:41 pm

I've recently recruited a few brand new RP'ers from a german server. They are very keen on RP'ing but not clear on the Do's and don'ts of things so I'm sort of struggling to find a way to... Point out what not to do, without being so overhwelming that I scare them away from it entirely, you know?

Any one have some advice on how to approach this?
Zackarn Yorelas
Zackarn Yorelas

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

New RP'ers, how to? Empty Re: New RP'ers, how to?

Post by Ixirar Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:39 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Zackarn Yorelas Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:39 am

Cheers for pointing this out, I might try to break it down into bite sized chunks over time. But it's a great start
Zackarn Yorelas
Zackarn Yorelas

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:18 pm

One suggestion is to ask them to think Logically and through Character Eyes.

Suggest them to zoom in to 1st Person and hide UI for a moment. Ask them to look around. That is what their character sees. They do not see the nameplates, they do not see the class - only the appearance of things. This appearance of the world is what they should pay their attention at when roleplaying.

If you also ask them to think logically, think for a moment that the people in Warcraft universe were real and affected by the laws of physics. Think as the world would be real. Could a Human listen through a thick wooden wall? Stone wall? See through a wall? No. Could a Human keep running forever without exhausting themselves? No. Could a Human lift a large tree from it roots and throw it through a window? Likely not. Could a Human pull a Mount out of nowhere? Again, it's a no.

But we live in a world of magic!". Aye, that is true. However, if they do something 'beyond' logic and laws of physics, It is advised to 'emote' it, to explain 'how' they are bending the laws of nature. For example, /em Zackarus lifts up the large tree trunk that is blocking the way using his unholy strength.

Lastly, beyond thinking logically, teach them to not 'force' an outcome upon another. I am sure you are familiar with the "Always Attempt" rule. If your emote will affect another players character, leave the outcome of the emote open. /em throws a rock aimed at "X" is always better than /em throws a rock that hits "X", to leave the other party a chance to react to the emote.

---
Just my few thoughts. The link was a massive one, so I tried to explain the  basic concept of roleplaying in a simple way.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 pm

ALT-Z hides the whole hud and that too, if that helps.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Skarain wrote:One suggestion is to ask them to think Logically and through Character Eyes.

That.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet
Name: Aramal Blackstone
Title: Knight of Stormwind, Lord of Blackwood

http://mallucis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down