Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surviving Uldum

Go down

Surviving Uldum Empty Surviving Uldum

Post by Charlie Blazesong Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:13 pm

(This book would be found in some libraries over Azeroth.)

Forewords:

This book I wrote specificly to give an eager adventurer an idea of what to expect while travelling through Uldum. If you are new to adventuring I would not recommend this trip as the unprepared will die pretty swiftly, if not to the local wildlife the heat will quickly dry you out and lets not speak of traps and such while discovering temples and such.

Part 1: Preparation.

The first thing you would want to get is a party, does not need to be huge but it is advised to not be alone while exploring the world as not everyone can fend off a pack of angry pygmies for example.

Make sure to get as many things on this list as possible, especially water. You need to stay hydrated at all costs.

- water(bottles, barrels and hipflasks)
- rope
- melee weapons
- ranged weapons
- hats or turbans
- Clothes suited for a desert environment
- potions and antidotes against poison
- bandages and other first aid equipment
- coco nuts
- food

Water: The reason why you would want to bring water and have water all times are due to the shear heat, if nothing else is available resort to drinking your own urine, it will hopefully keep you in the game long enough to get to a water source. I would also recommend boiling water before drinking it, various parasites hide in the water.

Rope: Should people fall down into a hole it is important to have a way to get them out. It may also help you cross rivers should you find it too difficult to cross, can also be used for traps should you run out of food.

Melee weapons: I would recommend staying at a far range while encountering any animal or creature in the world but should they get too close, make sure to have a sword or something to fend them off with.

Range weapons: As stated in the melee weapons section, take them out before they have a chance to hit you. It will greatly increase your chance of survival.

Hats or turbans: Well, anything to keep the sun from boiling your head. It will also help to dip the turban in water and such to keep your head cold should you have enough water.

Clothes suited for a desert environment: I am not talking of bikinis here, you will need something to cover all of your body preferably as sunburns is not a good thing at all. Also make sure they can provide some warmth as Uldum can get quite cold after the sun sets.

Potions and antidotes: There are various poisonous creatures lurking around in Uldum, among them scorpions and snakes. Make sure you find the correct antidotes and buy a lot of them, also be aware the local pygmies are rather hostile and have been known to use poison for their weapons.

Bandages and first aid equipment: An untended wound will slow you down if not kill you. Make sure to keep such injuries to a minimum and disinfect wounds then apply bandage.

Coocoo nuts: Should the pygmies not kill you at once but instead try and kidnap you, you can use these as a bribe. Hopefully it will work. They also contain lots of water so you can keep yourself hydrated.

Food: Take food that can stay in heat for long without going bad. This should be self explanatory. If you have a cryomancer or any other mage with you, you could bring meat but they would need to be kept cold constantly and might prove a struggle to keep the food in a good enough condition to eat.

Part 2: Fauna

There are various creatures you will encounter on your way through Uldum, some are less friendly than others. This is how you should approach them if forced to. You should not approach most of these unless forced to.

-Pygmies
-scorpions
-snakes
-hyenas
-tanarisi humans
-constructs

Pygmies: They are a tribal people about the height of gnomes, caution is advised and should only be confronted if forced to. They are keen on setting up ambushes so keep ready at all times. They are usually not hard foes to beat for experienced people.

Scorpions: These creatures swarm around in the desert sands and wait for their pray. Be careful when moving around and keep weapons at the ready, should you be stinged kill the scorpion and start treatment at once. The time is of the essence.
Snakes: Same goes for snakes, should you be bit make sure to treat the wound as soon as possible. Snakes are quick and cunning creatures, try and take them out with a bow or spell. If that should fail and you try to outmanoeuvre them, try and grab their collar and stab swiftly. Snakemeat is eatable.

Hyenas: What is a desert without these pests. Take them out from a range but upon melee combat you would want to have a torch or something as they and most other animals fear fire. They are hunting usually in packs so watch out.

Tanarisi humans: Usually thieves and stranded pirates that made their way from Tanaris. They will usually be hostile and try to kill you. If not, be cautious and do not fall for their tricks. Fight them as you would fight any other human.

Constructs: Should you be so unclucky and foolish to stumble upon a titan construct and accidentally awoken it you would want to slow it down as much as possible and run. Should you have enough magi you could try and freeze it and then apply fire as it would crack or damage the metal or stone they are made from. I however recommend slowing them down and running beware of their abilities as they usually have ranged weapons such as beams coming from their eyes to melt their foes and many other tricky mechanics.

How to live:

You will not want to stay too long in one spot as pygmies and bandits are travelling the land looking for easy prey. Stay at one place for two days at the most. Should you have trouble with rations of food try and make your way to the coast or a river as there are fish in the water. There are few rivers going through the desert so your best bet will always be the coast.

If you bring a mount there are few animals that would be good travelling the desert. The best one is ofcourse the camel, should this be unavailable you would be better off traveling without unless you are absolutely sure you are able to bring enough water you could bring anything. Just make sure they will survive the hot climate and burning sand.

Staying in the sun for too long will cause hallucinations so make sure you have something to make shade or find places with shade to rest. I have stumbled upon many carcasses of reckless adventurers on my travels, I would not want you to become the next carcass I stumble over.

The overall dangers are big and the benefits are small. Overall the land is unforgiving and I would not want to enter the desert alone or with incompetent company. You might rarely find artifacts that are worth selling and earn money, but the risk to get them is big. Do not travel there unless you are absolutely certain it holds something you need and there is nowhere else to get it.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down