Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draenei Weaponry

+7
Coppersocket
erwtenpeller
Sanara
Amaryl
Muzjhath
Skarain
Elrua
11 posters

Go down

Draenei Weaponry Empty Draenei Weaponry

Post by Elrua Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:51 pm

I was recently having a conversation about fighting against Death Knights on my Draenei Warrior, who uses a mace. I was suggesting that the mace be made out of Elementium, but that resulted in the other party saying that it couldn't be made out of Elementium due to the spinning Crystal which is used in the model (previewed below), which would be stronger than most materials, due to certain crystals (such as diamond) being extremely difficult to break.

Draenei Weaponry Hammerofatonement2

My first question is, is this logic correct?

My other question is, would Draenei weaponry be stronger than most other weapons found on Azeroth, due to their obvious out-of-this-world type materials/metals which they appear to use?

Last edited by Elrua on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet
Name: Zryse
Title: Earthmender / Primal / Medic

Back to top Go down

Draenei Weaponry Empty Re: Draenei Weaponry

Post by Skarain Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Well... it for sure is harder than most Azerothian (pre-tbc) minerals. The material of the mace looks sure same as the Crystalforge set.

Draenei Weaponry T5_pala_mhuman

I'd personally say its quite strong. Im however not going to go into the eternal discussion of "what mineral is stronger than the other". Imagine both Crystalforged and Elementium, heck even Trillium weaponry to be -damn- hard and durable.

I'd hope we get more lore about the Crystal-armor and weaponry of the Draenei when the next X-Pack kicks in.

But yes, in short.
would Draenei weaponry be stronger than most other weapons found on Azeroth?
Yes.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Elrua wrote:I was recently having a conversation about fighting against Death Knights on my Draenei Warrior, who uses a mace. I was suggesting that the mace be made out of Elementium, but that resulted in the other party saying that it couldn't be made out of Elementium due to the spinning Crystal which is used in the model (previewed below), which would be stronger than most materials, due to most crystals (such as diamond) being extremely difficult to break.

My first question is, is this logic correct?

My other question is, would Draenei weaponry be stronger than most other weapons found on Azeroth, due to their obvious out-of-this-world type materials/metals which they appear to use?
Bolded is false.
Most crystals are extremly brittle and will break under a rather soft hammerblow because they are made up by Ionised atoms.
Only very specific crystals are extremly difficult to break. (Being a real dick, all metals are also crystals, but I'm well aware that you're not going for that).
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Also saying metal is "hard" or "Harder" then others is a very flawed term when talking about weapons that are better.

I mean the harder steel becomes, the more brittle it becomes.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 pm

It should be worth noting that Draenei and Naaru crystal use seems tied into the magical nature of crystals in WarCraft, such as various arcane gems, the way that arcane magic crystallizes, and, as a minor side-example, the perpetually reverberating Apexis crystals. It could be assumed that any Draenei/Naaru-style crystal weaponry (and probably also the Klaxxi amber weapons) are as sturdy as/sturdier than metal weapons because of their inherent magical properties.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Muzjhath wrote:(Being a real dick, all metals are also crystals, but I'm well aware that you're not going for that).

I won't lie, that does seem like a very picky response, but you are correct in a sense, though my wording may have seemed as though I was separating the two... Which I suppose I was doing. Even so, when I speak about crystals being difficult to break, I do mean those specific ones which you mention, though it didn't seem like it at the time of posting.

I have edited the original post, either way. Smile 

Sanara wrote:It should be worth noting that Draenei and Naaru crystal use seems tied into the magical nature of crystals in WarCraft, such as various arcane gems, the way that arcane magic crystallizes, and, as a minor side-example, the perpetually reverberating Apexis crystals. It could be assumed that any Draenei/Naaru-style crystal weaponry (and probably also the Klaxxi amber weapons) are as sturdy as/sturdier than metal weapons because of their inherent magical properties.

Do you believe that it could do the same job as Elementium, if not slightly better or worse? The reason I originally posted this thread is because I thought I may have entered a fight with a Death Knight, which as a general IC class, tends to use Saronite Armour.

Weapons crafted from Titanium may perform on par with Saronite, without the risk of corruption. Heavily enchanted Elementium weaponry will overcome Saronite. Lacking those two rare metals , you may rely on a spiked mace or a penetrating axe crafted from mithril to burst through the plate.

Thank you for all your replies, by the way. I do appreciate them.

Last edited by Elrua on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:28 pm

The biggest problem with WoW is... Everyexpansion...
NEW STRONGEST METAL EVAH!
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:31 pm

True, though just because they are new, it doesn't mean they're the stronger metal. I think some metals, though being increasingly strong, can break at a single hammer strike, similar to what you said about crystals. Example: Carbon Fibre. Drop it, it won't break. Hit it with a hammer and that's it, find a new piece, because you've just ruined your first.
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:45 pm

If you count Ilevels new metals are always better for war. Razz

Edit:  Just to be more helpful, I think the best you can/could do is just use the metal that flavour wise fits your need the best, and not try and make comparisons of strength.

I.e: Saronite because you're a soullless DK.

or True-silver, because you want a metal that's attuned to the Light etc.

Edit two: There's also the thing that weapons are made not just with metal, but with motes or essences or what have you not, imbuing some-kind of element into the weapon.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Hm, I see your point.

It may be worth saying that the Mace she uses has two materials involved... Such as Elementium for the hilt and what-not, with the Draenei-Type crystal surrounding it, imbued with the Naaru-Specific characteristic, which makes it a sturdy/heavy hitting weapon, thus being effective against characters such as Saronite wielding DK's ?
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Amaryl wrote:Just to be more helpful, I think the best you can/could do is just use the metal that flavour wise fits your need the best, and not try and make comparisons of strength.
Very good!

In the end, it's just a hammer you use to bob someone over the head with. Does nitpicking over the precice materials it's made of really add to the story? I can imagine it might if you're looking to play out crafting one somehow - But when you're fighting, so you really want to stop and go "Hey, does my ClearClrystal™ mace beat your MegaMetal™ armor?" and do a little math?

Just get on with the clobbering, already.

Elrua wrote:thus being effective against characters such as Saronite wielding DK's ?
Just let the player that gets hit decide how they want to respond.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:31 pm

erwtenpeller wrote: I can imagine it might if you're looking to play out crafting one somehow - But when you're fighting, so you really want to stop and go "Hey, does my ClearClrystal™ mace beat your MegaMetal™ armor?" and do a little math?

Just get on with the clobbering, already.

Well, she is a blacksmith, so it does come into play in some areas!

Even so, its something which may or may not come into OOC discussion, when we're ICly against each other. I know i've at one point ended up having a near-disagreement with a DK player as they stated that continuous fire damage to his character wearing Saronite would do -no- damage what so ever. In my personal opinion, I would have thought it would have managed to do something, even if it was very little. It soon ended in me resorting to using Lava Burst (Was on my Shaman at the time), to which ended in further disagreements. I won't go into details.

It's good to be prepared for those kind of happenings, no matter how unlikely or ridiculous they may seem!
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm

THe best metal is Copper, period.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:57 pm

I've been roleplaying a blacksmith for a considerable while now, and I've found its best not to think in terms of "which metal is strongest", rather its better to say that each has its own specific qualities, uses and benefits.

As for Draenei crystal armour? i'd say its not very strong at all, likely sat on a thin layer of metal, adamantite perhaps. What matters is that the crystal material has a use, most likely for focusing the light, or arcane. this is supported by its visible use on draenei priests, mages and paladins... all of which wear crystals in some shape/form.

Their warriors wear plain flat metal, as proven by shattrath, exodar and other melee guards of the draenei race, not to mention hunters/shamans wear mail, that uses no crystals.

Furthermore, the crystals probably provide a sort of blow displacement effect... they can take a few blows but then begin to shatter, but leave the armour underneath unharmed until then.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Nah, the best metal is green iron. Always beats shit out of anyone for real.

Also, I think OP should sum up the right parts of this thread, make a short list of positive quotes and use it for rules-lawyering that fucking DK noob to admit defeat. Should retcon that fight as well, cause you know, winning and losing these things is a major thing. E-fights is basicly the point of warrior-types anyway, and you need to get the IC honor grind going.

Good luck, man. Hope you'll win that metal-argument on the internet, cus it's like running in the special olympics -FUCKING IMPORTANT. Real talk.

Your buddy, Berahnek.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Berahnek wrote:Nah, the best metal is green iron. Always beats shit out of anyone for real.

Also, I think OP should sum up the right parts of this thread, make a short list of positive quotes and use it for rules-lawyering that fucking DK noob to admit defeat. Should retcon that fight as well, cause you know, winning and losing these things is a major thing. E-fights is basicly the point of warrior-types anyway, and you need to get the IC honor grind going.

Good luck, man. Hope you'll win that metal-argument on the internet, cus it's like running in the special olympics -FUCKING IMPORTANT. Real talk.

Your buddy, Berahnek.

Draenei Weaponry NwFgg
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm

well if you want i have a few opinions of my own about draenic crystle use.. if you look threwout all the construction of draenic (naaru bassed) tec.. you will find crystles are used from everything from Lighting to holographic emiters to flying exodar.. thus it stands to reason that the crystals are more like a tecnology, computers, wires data transfer.. even energy type wepons (think go'aould from stargate) as such a lot of draenic armour is augmented with these crystles.. yes they may be there to absorb damage from blows.. however it also stands to reason that they could also be combat aids in a sence of targeting equipment.. maby basic scanners searching for weakspots in your opponents armour etc.. goblin tec is bassed on explosives.. gnomish is steampunk draenic is crystle/light bassed, as such I tend to let my immagination go wild

for example Most people who know monny knows she has a companion pet a mechanical squirrel.. dig deap and you will find that its powered by one of those gems in draenic lights.. as such a gnomish mechanical device now has the power to stay turnd on for ten times the lifespan of a gnome whilst increasing the squirrels mental capacity allowing it to perform more complex tasks if needed.. it can even electrocute people if it so desires! (all of monny's knowledge in draenic tec was put into this squirrel and she is constantly altering and updating it to this date.

as such I say.. with draeneic weponry as with draenic lore..

GO NUTS!!

experiment and play around.. however don't invent any game breaking weaponry in the case of fairness as with the tec draenei should tecnicaly have.. they could have overthrown azeroth ten times already
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Monrena wrote:however don't invent any game breaking weaponry in the case of fairness as with the tec draenei should tecnicaly have.. they could have overthrown azeroth ten times already

Ah, of course, don't worry. I won't go inventing some Super-Draenei Soulblade with the ability to suck souls from people's brains. I think its fair to say that, judging from the replies I've got since I made the post, that my character's weapon will be able to deal strong blows against armour such as Saronite, though  perhaps after a few battles, as will all weapons and armour, it will need maintenance. As Inran said, it'll be stronger than most Azerothian Weaponry and perhaps some armours.

On saying that, do feel free to continue discussing. I'm always interested for more Draenei lore, whether its actual lore or just theoretical.
Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:12 pm

well my opinions are a mix of both theoretical and lore wise.. the holographic emiters are real as are the lights and exodar..
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am

I'm pretty sure that Saronite loses its invulnerability when it's smelted into armour. It remains strong, but not entirely resilient. Otherwise, we'd have been buggered in WotLK.

As WoW has tonnes of variety, you should just make up your armours properties; don't make it ridiculous, but if you want a light sturdy crystal like armour, go for it.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:01 am

Vaell wrote:I'm pretty sure that Saronite loses its invulnerability when it's smelted into armour. It remains strong, but not entirely resilient.

Fortunately for the user it also loses its mind-melting capability. So I guess it's a fair trade Razz
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Elrua Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:14 am

Vaell wrote:I'm pretty sure that Saronite loses its invulnerability when it's smelted into armour. It remains strong, but not entirely resilient. Otherwise, we'd have been buggered in WotLK.

As WoW has tonnes of variety, you should just make up your armours properties; don't make it ridiculous, but if you want a light sturdy crystal like armour, go for it.

True that! We're quite lucky in that aspect. Even so, its more the weaponry I'm talking about, rather than the armour, however I'm sure it's the same both ways? Even so, I'm pretty sure I can come up with something now, but as always, feel free to continue the discussion.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Elrua
Elrua

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down