Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants

4 posters

Go down

[H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants Empty [H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants

Post by Nathaira Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey guys!

So I have decided if there is enough interest what one of my next big RP projects will be. It has occurred to me that a lot of RP is related to fighting or military leadership and thought it would be great to actually combine two passions of mine (Swordplay and RP). I know that a lot of our RP community engages in LARP so I thought this would also be a great opportunity for people wanting to know a little about weapons, the moves and to really inform your RP. These lessons would be open to any RPer.

About the Instructor:

Amy is an instructor-in-training (Provost) for the Black Boar Swordmanship School in Edinburgh which focuses on the Western Marital Art of Swordsmanship. She, along with her partner and joint leader of the College of Revenants, currently focus on 17th-18th century Swallsword (Liancour and Girard from France and Edinburghs own Sir William Hope methods) but their combined repertoire and experience also includes the basics of Foil, Epee, Military Sabre, Bastard Sword, Gentleman’s defence, Walking Stick/Cane, Parasol defence, Dagger, Staff and Spear. Amy is also part of the Knights of the Four Quarters, a Re-enactment group based in the Netherlands.

The Proposal:

What happens In Game:

Beginners Class: The classes would be led by the Colloquium of Keres’nergal leaders Warspeaker Preponderant Dulachan and Preceptor Driscus. They would run on alternative weeks in the War Quarter of the Undercity or Farstiders Square in Silvermoon (Day and time TBC). The lessons would focus on the basic theory of the sword, stance and target. Initially the focus will be on Sabre and Smallsword techniques and build towards the end by learning to apply those same principles to other weapons such as dagger. Mini “practical” tasks or missions may also feature in these lessons.

Military Swordsmanship for leaders: The classes would be led by the Colloquium of Keres’nergal leaders Warspeaker Preponderant Dulachan and Preceptor Driscus. They would run when requested within the College building itself (ICly = Undercity - In Game = Karazhan). These lessons would be reserved for military leader RPers/ guild leaders who wish to know a little more about real life logistics of attack (using principles from street fighting). Although you may not attend the beginners classes in game and some of the theory will be covered in these lessons, I would recommend you refer to the beginners classes on the forum as the theory will be extremely useful.

What happens on the Forum (College of Revenants Website/ DefiasRP website):

Each of the lessons, both beginners and advanced would be posted on the forum after/during it being performed In Game. Lesson explanations would be accompanied by video demonstrations (done by me and my partner) so you get to see the moves in reality. If you don’t come to the lesson in game and have any questions please do not hesitate to post or send me a message.

What applies to members of the College of Revenants who participate:

For those in the guild I hope this will be fun! We may then apply some of these principles to our raid GMed events/missions and the lessons might become relevant for the Student Trials being hosted towards the end of the Academic Year. For your character sheets this may also mean (depending on the result of our character sheet redevelopment) that you will be able to earn points in specific skills relating to the lessons you attend.

Please keep your eyes peeled for the IC announcement coming soon. If you would like any further information, to get involved or to just let me know your thoughts please don’t hesitate to post here or send me a PM.

Last edited by Nathaira on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:34 am; edited 5 times in total
Nathaira
Nathaira

Character sheet
Name: Preceptor Nathaira Meadows
Title:

http://the-college-of-revenants.enjin.com/home

Back to top Go down

[H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants Empty Re: [H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants

Post by Nathaira Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:41 am

Here are some great youtube videos to get you in the mood Razz

Nathaira
Nathaira

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

[H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants Empty Re: [H] Revenant School of Arms and Swordsmanship – Open lectures from the College of Revenants

Post by Guest Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:42 am

Love it as always Nathaira.

Best of luck, your events and guild really don't get enough reputation and support for the quality stuff you churn out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaira Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:44 am

Thank you so much Zigger Smile
Nathaira
Nathaira

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:44 am

Looks cool, good luck with this!
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:26 am

Nice! I look forward to reading the posted things, sadly got no horde to attend this.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sleeper Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Any College hosted event that I've had the pleasure of attending to has been terrific. You've my full support.
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Character sheet
Name: None
Title: None

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaira Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Filming done, lesson written and editing tonight.

IC announcement on:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I really really hope you can all attend defias brotherhood...its gonna be epic Razz
Nathaira
Nathaira

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaira Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:39 pm

So we had our first lesson!! Thank you so much to everyone who attended.

Here is a breakdown of what happened, the theory and the videos in order! If you enjoyed this and want to know more about fighting then I hope to progress this further and host another lesson most likely in two weeks time Smile.  

Parts of the sword

The Blade – Commonly now made of steel and sharpened. Blades often have an edge – cutting part of the blade and a back edge – the unsharpened edge of a single edged sword.
Point - The tip of the sword’s blade - Thrusting
The Fuller - The central shadow on a straight double edged blade – Also referred to as the “Blood Gutter” – Actually designed to lighten the blade without sacrificing the rigidity. However the popular myth that it helps make the blood flow better down the blade is great for all you blood thirsty RPers.

The Forte – Strongest part of the swords blade nearest the hilt
Foible – The weakest part of a sword blade, from the middle to the point

This is me starting from the forte of a smallsword, which as you can see has hardly any give, working my way up to the foible. At the end is the buttoned point which you can see has a lot of give on my training weapon.  This is what Cedestra was demonstrating in game.

Question: What are these parts used for?
Answer: Forte is used for parrying and defence. Foible or weak part of the blade was traditionally used for making fast cuts to soft tissue such as the hands and face.

Guard - This can come in many forms. Shields the swordsman’s hand and stops it sliding down the blade.
Crossguard or Quillion = Longsword/Bastard Sword
Basket – Broadsword/Military sabre
Short Quillion/Shell – Smallsword

This is me holding a military sabre, and as you can see this has more of a curved guard which when held protects the outside of the hand. Note how the sword is gripped also.

The Grip  - The hilt of swords held in the hand of the Knight. The grip is often made of horn or wood covered in leather and contoured to fit in the hand.
The Pommel – Part of the hilt which acts as a counterweight to the blade and helps keep the sword together.

Question: What parts of a sword can be used for attack?
Answer: All parts. This includes the pommel! The Cross guards if the sword is held the other way from normal can also be used……hammer time.

Question: Difference between a sabre and a smallsword?
Answer: Sabre, dagger, longsword, axe are primarily cutting weapons, with rapiers and smallswords thrusting weapons. However most weapons can also use thrust as an attack.

Farstriders Circle (OOC Sussex Circle)

Form and stance

First thing before any training or “civilised” duelling/engagement it is customary to salute. Many clubs have different forms of salute.

From the video you first see me doing a very simple salute. This is usually done without masks on. Then my partner and I do the salute of the school which can, as shown, engage the opponent’s blade or not. Once this is performed you then put your mask/helmet on.

“En garde” or coming on guard.

As you see from the video I am taking a typical stance for smallsword. For sabre this is pretty similar, though instead of raising your back arm you rest this on your hip keeping it out of the way since you might get your hand chopped off if not! For longsword or staff as two handed weapons the stance is slightly different but I will get a video of that as soon as I can.

Tierce and Quart

This video is just a very quick one going from Tierce (right hand side) to Quart (left hand side). Typically you will assume either position when you are coming on guard.

If you wish to replicate the stance at home/LARP these are the things you should consider:

• Keep a thin body profile by showing only your right hand side

• The legs should not be too far asunder, for that will shorten the lunge, nor to close for then you cannot stand firm.

• Place the rear (left) foot perpendicular to the front foot, such that the broad side faces your adversary.

• Sink with both thighs, your left knee a little more bent than the right, leaning back just a little.

• Sword arm should be a little bent, the point or the sword toward your adversary’s right side.

• Point level or slightly higher than the hilt

• Ensure that you are protected

Attacking!

Now the fun part.

Thrust

This is a video just showing the typical lunge attack. CAUTION: Please do not try this with any LARP weapons that are not designed for it. This lunge attack can also be used with a sabre where you are cutting your opponent. I’ll try and upload a video of this also.

The duelling! In game we did a Farstriders circle where pairs of people had one attack and rolled to see whether they succeeded or failed. They then moved to the left and to a new partner until the circle was completed!

The winner of the Farstriders Circle was our very own Mirra!

"Farstrider Circle" (OOC Sussex circle)

This video is the REAL deal! ;)Enjoy!
Nathaira
Nathaira

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down