Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IC taken OOC

+22
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Samian/Bismack
Drustai
Xen-tau
Lexgrad
Allonia_Miral
Solanum
Amaryl
Fyffe
erwtenpeller
Raene
Grim
Thelos
Thondalar Stormleaf
Buren
Darilas
Sullee Swiftspeech
Arabella Greene
Raenmar
Vaell
Ledgic
Emrys
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

IC taken OOC Empty IC taken OOC

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 pm

This has reared its ugly head again - any idea how to combat it? Explaining ooc that your character is an arsey git, but you are not, seems to rarely work. Kinda getting fed up by people assuming I can't rp and that I am in fact Arli ooc too.

Back to top Go down

IC taken OOC Empty Re: IC taken OOC

Post by Emrys Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I do not know you or your character very well, but perhaps not opening somewhat passive-aggressive topics like this would do some good against making a bad OOC impression? Smile
Emrys
Emrys

Character sheet
Name: Emrys Sunwing
Title: Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 pm

When this appears, I generally just try and explain to the person (multiple times, if it's really required) and sadly, if they flat out refuse to acknowledge the difference then I simply move on.

It isn't exactly a fix, but sometimes you can't get through to a person. Separating IC and OOC has been an issue for a long ol' time, sadly people just get way too into their characters at times and it ends up hindering RP quite severely.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Emrys wrote:I do not know you or your character very well, but perhaps not opening somewhat passive-aggressive topics like this would do some good against making a bad OOC impression? Smile

How is this passive aggressive? This is a subject that's never debated enough because nobody seems to ever understand the difference between your character and you.

This:

When this appears, I generally just try and explain to the person (multiple times, if it's really required) and sadly, if they flat out refuse to acknowledge the difference then I simply move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emrys Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Vangrel Lansire wrote:
Emrys wrote:I do not know you or your character very well, but perhaps not opening somewhat passive-aggressive topics like this would do some good against making a bad OOC impression? Smile

How is this passive aggressive? This is a subject that's never debated enough because nobody seems to ever understand the difference between your character and you.

I may be abysmally wrong (and in that case feel free to correct me) but this kind of posting always seems like some sort of "I just got into a disagreement that did not go very well so I am going to prod at it through more subtle means and you will know it is about you but you can't defend yourself without incriminating yourself in front of the rest of these people" and I just don't dig that.

But I may be overthinking this due to bad experiences :<
Emrys
Emrys

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm

To be honest, I have gotten this before but I think everyone is used to my character Kyven now to realise that (though bad) I'm not that bad!

I play a horrible character and never get stick for it. The person who can't decipher between OOC and IC is the one with the issue, not you.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm not naming names Emrys but seeking advice and certainly not pointing the finger at anyone. Please tell me how I should phrase this question if it seems passive-aggressive? I've not a clue, this is how I talk Smile

If you feel this thread inappropriate then please delete, I sure as hell don't want to get into forum raging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 pm

It's not an inappropriate thread at all, so don't concern yourself with that.

Is there any example you can give in particular, so maybe folk around here can help you a little better with a definitive answer?
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 pm

I'll think on a less recent one and post tomorrow (I need sleep), really don't want this to be seen as finger pointing or complaining, it's not at all. I'd just like a few tools to help me manage the situations and prevent them occurring Smile

Perhaps it's the way I speak, maybe I'm perceived as aggressive when to me I'm just plain talking to avoid misinterpretation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emrys Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Perhaps not start the topic with 'it has reared it's ugly head again'. Wink That made it look like it was refering to something that had just happened, to me, at least. But I stand corrected anyhow! Smile

Edit: I'll try to get ontopic a little bit as well, I tend to be rather forward when distinguishing my OOC intentions from my IC intentions because I have had slight problems in the past as well. For example I got quite the overreacted response thay made no sense whatsoever IC (so just had to be fuelled OOC) when one of my characters made a joke about two gay guys her mentor had to spy on for hours (much to his dismay), since then when I make a politically incorrect remark IC I have the tendancy to notify I feel differently on the subject myself through OOC means.

Allthough most people I RP with should know I am fucking adorable OOC by now! Very Happy

Last edited by Emrys on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Emrys
Emrys

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 pm

I wish people would take IC as OOC with me. I play a badass white-knighting Mary-Sue that's fairly likeable, but OOC everyone thinks I'm an asshat.

In all seriousness though, it's an unavoidable problem. If explaining it doesn't work then all you can really do is move on. If they're new RPers, hopefully it'll come to them over time that people aren't OOC how they are IC. If not, then they just have a very different view of RP which can't be changed, so you should just avoid them.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Emrys wrote:Perhaps not start the topic with 'it has reared it's ugly head again'. Wink That made it look like it was refering to something that had just happened, to me
I know what you meant but I first read it thinking you thought that he called you ugly!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Emrys Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Vaell wrote:
Emrys wrote:Perhaps not start the topic with 'it has reared it's ugly head again'. Wink That made it look like it was refering to something that had just happened, to me
I know what you meant but I first read it thinking you thought that he called you ugly!

D: ... Not even the power of the internetz can plant a witty remark into this dumb brain of mine right now.
Emrys
Emrys

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:24 pm

The metaphor I have taken to applying to most scenarios is as such:

Role-playing is like actors, so it's fair to compare playing your character as an actor.

Do actors fight out of set? (If they do, they make themselves look stupid)

But wonderfully enough, that metaphor sinks in very well for some people. It's instantly something to draw a comparison to and make RPing and the concept of OOC/IC feel a bit more familiar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:34 am

Yeah it happens.
It doesn't help that ton cannot always be fully gaged on the internet so things can always seem more aggressive than they actually are.
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sullee Swiftspeech Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 am

Emrys wrote:
Vangrel Lansire wrote:

I may be abysmally wrong (and in that case feel free to correct me) but this kind of posting always seems like some sort of "I just got into a disagreement that did not go very well so I am going to prod at it through more subtle means and you will know it is about you but you can't defend yourself without incriminating yourself in front of the rest of these people" and I just don't dig that.

But I may be overthinking this due to bad experiences :<
:'D You silenced the forum beast! My hero...
Sullee Swiftspeech
Sullee Swiftspeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Darilas Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 am

It happens, I for one fully admit to taking things that happen to my character a bit too much to heart at times. But I know that, and I always try to keep the dialogue going. When people just go: "rawr your character faulted my character, I hate you now!" I shake my head just as much. But I think the hurt feelings over RP'd 'injustice/misfortune' occur to a lot more people, probably to most of us some times. That is my own experience, at least. We can all publicly frown upon it, but hey, what do you know, nobody is perfect. Just as long as you realize you aren't, and keep an open mind to your own flaws so you can try and work things out in a reasonable way. (After counting to ten/waiting a few days if necessary) That's my two cents.
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Buren Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 am

Raenmar wrote:I wish people would take IC as OOC with me. I play a badass white-knighting Mary-Sue that's fairly likeable, but OOC everyone thinks I'm an asshat.

Raen, did you ever consider the fact that a lot of people dislike whiteknighting, including me. I guess the difference here is that you've made it clear OOC -who- you are, at least what people think you are. Heh ;p

More to the point. I'd say that if anyone has problems with distinguishing IC from OOC you, that is their problem all alone. Of course, as I believe Emrys pointed out, that there are some things you (Not implying you do it) say IC that people can take offence of OOC, a good example could be gay or rape (Yes, I said rape, shoot me?). In those few cases a simple apology OOC would suffice. Annnyhow, why did I repeat what everyone said?
Buren
Buren

Character sheet
Name: Buren Agamand
Title: Captain of the Crusade

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 am

I get that a lot too. I play a char which is an -ass- to people. She is rude, swears a lot, likes to beat the shit out of you and is generally unfriendly. (not evil though)

She will call you names based on gender, looks mothers jobs w\e. And people take it personally.

I also have a char which is very random. One day she is sugar sweet and happy, the next a paranoid wreak wanting to kill everything approaching her. Ive also been called ooc because my char has random behaviour. Even if that is just the way she is.

Some people will never understand, and as several has said before me, its their problem, not yours. Do not chance your character's way of being just because you got some morons around you.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 am

The only way to ensure this never happens to you is to play a very nice and likable character.

IC and OOC are never going to be completely seperated, because frankly they're not. The role-play that happens influences your mood as a person and your mood influences how you role-play. We can all deny this vehemently and argue how these two worlds must never cross; but ultimately we're still humans interacting with another.

You have this same problem with improv theatre and make belief on the playground. And, like make belief and improv, the only way to truly rise above it is to completely break character, drop what you are doing and adress one another as people. Sadly, the latter is nigh impossible on the internet, because there is a wall of computer interfaces between us.

I promise you, folks, that if the internet allowed you to somehow look and touch the people on the internet on the other ends of the tubes, there wouldn't nearly be as much drama as there is now.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:35 am

Thelos is right. People become keyboard warriors safe in the knowledge they're protected and far away from any actual consequences.

Anyway, like many people I RP a complete dickwad. Grim is an asshat, he views other people as little more than tools to be used and abandoned when no longer needed. He's aggressive and unforgiving, etc etc etc.

I generally either simply trust that people will understand that its just RP, or if I'm feeling panicky about it (especially if I've not met the person IC or OOC before) I'll whisper them declaring my undying OOC love.
If they don't get it then its their problem.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:59 am

I tend to have it the other way around. I play a flatterer, and a naive girl and people tend to get more angry with me OOCly based on their actions.

I play a cranky xenophobic Nelf, and people love me for it.

BWUH?!
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 am

Grim wrote:Anyway, like many people I RP a complete dickwad. Grim is an asshat, he views other people as little more than tools to be used and abandoned when no longer needed. He's aggressive and unforgiving, etc etc etc.
The amount of diplomatic encounters that Grim ruined with his grumpyness is beyond the count. Laughing

I don't bother defending myself OOC anymore, honestly. If "they" want to think I'm a bad player and a tool, so it be. I'm sure some people on this forum have the same opinion of me. Too bad!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 am

And Arli, both our characters are gits who don't get on with anyone and every time they meet they clash - but we've never fallen out OOC!
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyffe Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:02 am

If there's one thing I love about roleplaying here, it's for the sheer variety in characters one person can play.
Hmm... OOCly a goodness-to-awful nitpicker who wants to be exact to avoid confusion, yet generably tries to be nice while playing.

ICly, one character a stickler for the rules, enforcer of the law and irritable old sod with an appalling, intelligible accent/ (and occasional berserker)

Another character a charming, mischievous lawbreaking scumbag who conversely loves to break ALL the Rules and acts the complete troll (while making subtle beyond fourth-wall references) =D

Oh, and I also have a friendly, senile (secretly OP) Master Yoda/Tom 'Freaking' Bombadil hybrid.

I just realised I am a terrible person.
Fyffe
Fyffe

Character sheet
Name: "Fyffe the Confounder!!!"
Title: Lorescribe and Illusionist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next